Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  E122Psi : (14 August 2018 - 03:51 AM)

Actually come to think about it, Winnie the Pooh actually had a proto-Julian:

@  E122Psi : (14 August 2018 - 03:49 AM)

Just reminding everyone that Julian Robotnik is back voicing a silly old bear on Thursday. Sadly Princess Sally is not back as Kanga.

@  Ishapar : (14 August 2018 - 03:18 AM)

Chess is centuries old yet it is still a fun game. It doesn't matter how old a game is as long as the game itself is fun and challenging.

@  Uncle Ben : (13 August 2018 - 08:56 PM)

Game is 20 years old...

@  LogiTeeka : (12 August 2018 - 02:46 PM)

Eh. 64 feels dated and kinda boring to me.

@  Ishapar : (10 August 2018 - 03:01 AM)

I played Odyssey a little with my friends, but I became bored with it right away. Mario 64 and Paper Mario are the only Mario games I can come back and play over and over to have fun.

@  Sunnyfruit : (09 August 2018 - 12:44 PM)

I have a Switch but Odyssey feels too much of a collectathon to me. I agree that the game looks gorgeous though.

@  GamemasterAn... : (08 August 2018 - 07:22 AM)

No reference to Captain N, Sakurai? I am disappoint...

@  Uncle Ben : (08 August 2018 - 06:25 AM)

Just announced for Smash Ultimate: Simon Belmont, Ritchie Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K.Rool

@  Uncle Ben : (07 August 2018 - 08:30 PM)

Play Odyssey if you can, it's great

@  Sunnyfruit : (07 August 2018 - 05:49 AM)

Mario died with SMW to me, and even there he was just a boring second. Kirby's the dreaded challenger

@  Ishapar : (07 August 2018 - 03:57 AM)

Sonic fanbase talking positively about the rival mascot. Yeah, I think Sonic is really tapping his foot on this one...

@  RedAuthar : (05 August 2018 - 08:13 PM)

But You should totally make a thread about doing a SatAM styled Mario series.

@  RedAuthar : (05 August 2018 - 08:11 PM)

SatAM was taking a, at the time, rather storyless project that was pretty light hearted in appearance to something a bit more storydriven and darker. Nintendo's would be Advance Wars Days of Ruin compared to the lighthearted Advance Wars series. Metroid doesn't fit as it was already dark.
I mean Samus has lights on her armor for a reason.

@  Quickster : (05 August 2018 - 07:51 AM)

I never saw that movie (thank goodness). I AM, however, hyped for the upcoming Mario movie.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 August 2018 - 06:38 AM)

Sadly, I think one of the only good things about that movie was Bob Hoskin's portrayal of Mario.

@  Clocktopus : (02 August 2018 - 11:54 AM)

good point

@  LogiTeeka : (01 August 2018 - 10:38 PM)

I'd argue that the SatAM equivalent to Mario was the infamous live-action movie. It's the same general premise, but darker and a generally different interpretation of the source material.

@  Sunnyfruit : (01 August 2018 - 02:20 AM)

Now of course it's entirely different on the other themes.

@  Sunnyfruit : (01 August 2018 - 02:16 AM)

As for a Nintendo equivalent of SatAM, I'd be tempted to say Metroid, since it shares similar themes in its direction: morally gray technology, adventuring in an oppressive techbase, feeling of being alien and outnumbered yet heroic.

Photo

Ian Flynn Bumbleking Sonic Idw Faq

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FUS News Robot

FUS News Robot

Extra! Extra!

• Newsbot
  • 196 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

What is your involvement with the Sonic the Hedgehog series?
I’ve been writing comic books about Sonic the Hedgehog since 2006. I’ve written two episodes for the tv series Sonic Boom, and have had material featured with the games, but not the actual games themselves so far. You can find a full listing here.

Why did the Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog comics end?
A variety of reasons. I do not know any of them first-hand, nor are any of them public.
I will not openly speculate about what happened.

Is it true the Archie!Sonic comics ended because of lawsuits?
No.Lawsuits were responsible for the reboot of the narrative, but they were not the deciding factor for the series as far as I know.

What were your plans for the Archie!Sonic series?
I will be compiling my pre-reboot and post-reboot plans in a series called “Lost Hedgehog Tales.” It has been put on indefinite hiatus as various private factors are worked out. These are all beyond my control. You can find more information here.

What was your involvement in the Sonic franchise’s transition from Archie Comics to IDW Publishing?
None. The ending of the series caught me by surprise, and I had no idea what the future held. Once I learned IDW Publishing had acquired the license, I had just as much a chance to write the series as anyone else. IDW Publishing reached out to me in large part thanks to fan demand.

Is IDW!Sonic canon to the games?
No. The comics are inspired by the games, but they are their own story.

What characters from other Sonic the Hedgehog properties can we expect in IDW!Sonic?
For the moment, IDW!Sonic will only be using elements from the “Modern Sonic” side of the franchise. Presently there are no plans to bring in any elements from any of the cartoons or other comics.

Will the Freedom Fighters appear in IDW!Sonic?
They will not appear during Year One. Beyond that it is up to SEGA to decide if they are accessible to us.

Will [Character] show up? Will [Game Event] be referenced?
I cannot spoil future events of the series. You will have to wait and see.

Is it true Mighty, Ray, and other characters will not appear in IDW!Sonic?
Yes. At the moment, SEGA has requested a distinct division between “Classic Sonic” and “Modern Sonic.” Since IDW!Sonic is set within the “Modern Sonic” universe, the “Classic Sonic” material is currently unavailable to us.

Who are your favorite Sonic characters?
Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Bean.

What are your favorite Sonic games?
Classic: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Mania Plus
Modern: Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations

What are your favorite Sonic music tracks?
All of the Sonic soundtracks are spectacular in their own way. I have a very hard time choosing one song. If it’s a lyrical track by Crush 40, you can assume I love it.

Can I submit a character and/or story idea to you?
No. For legal reasons I cannot look at, consider or accept fan-created material.

Read the full story here

#2 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 98 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

STRAIGHT ANSWERS!!!!  A SHEN IS HAPPY!

....WITH THE ANSWERS....

Will not be buying the comic.

BUT

From what I saw of issue 7, uploaded on youtube by some Amy-something or other, it doesn't look bad.  Only got 3 minutes into it, but felt nostalgic for some reason.  If they get some complimentary characters similar to Sally or what have you that help build sonic as a character in directions that make him interesting, I'll start picking it up, and may backorder all the previous issues.

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yay answers!

#4 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted A week ago

Confirmation of FFs confirmed.

#5 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted A week ago

That still depends on what SEGA’s decision will be.

#6 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted A week ago

I'd think by now we would get a definitive answer if they weren't going to be in.

I wouldnt expect them to be in until at least mid/late 2019

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#7 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted A week ago

I'd think by now we would get a definitive answer if they weren't going to be in.

Possibly, but it also still be in the process of deciding. SEGA being adamant about not including any Classic game characters in the comic is making me feel a bit unsure about it.

#8 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted A week ago

Possibly, but it also still be in the process of deciding. SEGA being adamant about not including any Classic game characters in the comic is making me feel a bit unsure about it.

But they're technically not Classic. They're not even game characters at all*.

*The cameo in Spinball doesn't count

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#9 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted A week ago

It's not that they aren't game characters that makes me worried; it's the fact that the comic is trying to appeal more to the Modern Sonic brand - a demographic which the Freedom Fighters weren't really considered a part of - that has me concerned.

#10 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted A week ago

Sega made up a "classic" franchise to get cash out of pseudo-nostalgia. It's not the case of SatAM and they don't really care about what happens with the comics as long as it doesn't get controversy or step on their new toy's feet. The only case where the FFs would be outright banned is if Sega plans to make it another subfranchise like Classic or Boom.

Personally, I feel absolutely no Sonic 3&K, CD or OVA vibes from Mania. Mania is a pure Western product of the 2010s, which btw isn't bad in itself.

#11 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted A week ago

Personally, I feel absolutely no Sonic 3&K, CD or OVA vibes from Mania. Mania is a pure Western product of the 2010s, which btw isn't bad in itself.

I can kinda get that. It's a fun game in and of itself, but it's not completely authentic of the time period it's meant to be imitating.

I mean, if it really were meant to be the missing SEGA Saturn title that everyone compares it with, chances are it wouldn't have returning levels from previous games or even fan-favorite characters like Mighty and Ray being featured. But that itself doesn't make it a bad product though; there's clearly a lot of effort put into it, and I can appreciate that.

#12 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted A week ago

Mania is a very good game with great music and excellent level design, it's my favorite platformer of the decade with Freedom Planet. But some choices were strange: Ray was just a forgotten recolor before his return, and cutting Mighty from the Chaotix was just cruel.

#13 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted A week ago

Mania is a very good game with great music and excellent level design, it's my favorite platformer of the decade with Freedom Planet. But some choices were strange: Ray was just a forgotten recolor before his return, and cutting Mighty from the Chaotix was just cruel.

There were supposed to be 5 teams for Heroes and Mighty and Ray were on one of them apparently.

It's not that they aren't game characters that makes me worried; it's the fact that the comic is trying to appeal more to the Modern Sonic brand - a demographic which the Freedom Fighters weren't really considered a part of - that has me concerned.

As long as us the fans keep them alive there's always a chance for them to come back

#14 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted A week ago

As long as us the fans keep them alive there's always a chance for them to come back

That's what I'm hoping SEGA will be convinced by.

#15 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,008 posts

Posted A week ago

If Sega of USA is approached I'm sure they wouldn't mind so long as they aren't connected to the Sega casts' backstories.

#16 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted A week ago

If Sega of USA is approached I'm sure they wouldn't mind so long as they aren't connected to the Sega casts' backstories.

I'm not so sure about this. Remember how Sega of Japan threw a fit because the Sonic Boom team planned to add another inventor than Tails.

And also, how BRB got stabbed in the back and forced to make a Wii U release.

And also, how everyone just lashed at BRB as if they were lazy incompetent devs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users