Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Misk : (13 November 2018 - 04:17 PM)

And after all that abuse that just ended a few weeks back.

@  Sunnyfruit : (13 November 2018 - 03:33 AM)

RIP

@  Uncle Ben : (12 November 2018 - 01:20 PM)

@  Shadow : (12 November 2018 - 11:22 AM)

Oh shit

@  Uncle Ben : (12 November 2018 - 10:46 AM)

Stan Lee passed away

@  wildfire : (11 November 2018 - 10:20 PM)

As far as "old guard" are concerned, I still lurk from time to time. I miss the guys, but to tell the truth I think a lot of people just grew out of it. I still watch my SatAM dvds occasionally.

@  Uncle Ben : (11 November 2018 - 02:55 PM)

That would have required Sega to reference something they didn't make that's still very popular

@  Clocktopus : (11 November 2018 - 02:36 PM)

And they couldn't even throw a reference to the Freedom Fighters. Still nursing that wound

@  GamemasterAn... : (09 November 2018 - 08:04 AM)

Sonic Forces AKA The closest thing to a SatAM Sonic game we can get.

@  Shadow : (08 November 2018 - 06:43 PM)

Me and Chief are the oldest remaining members.

@  Uncle Ben : (07 November 2018 - 09:51 AM)

Finally hopped on the Switch Hype Train

@  Sunnyfruit : (07 November 2018 - 08:04 AM)

So Sonic Forces was released one year ago already.

@  Sunnyfruit : (06 November 2018 - 05:05 PM)

It has a slow pace, but at least it's a stable one.

@  Uncle Ben : (05 November 2018 - 09:51 PM)

I think a lot of the "old guard" left before I got here, save for a few

@  Freya Manibr... : (05 November 2018 - 07:21 PM)

This place used to be more active, I don't know what happened. I miss the old guard.

@  Misk : (05 November 2018 - 04:40 PM)

I'm here daily but I mostly lurk.

@  Uncle Ben : (05 November 2018 - 08:26 AM)

Not a lot unfortunately

@  Freya Manibr... : (05 November 2018 - 08:11 AM)

So who comes around these parts here anymore?

@  Freya Manibr... : (05 November 2018 - 07:37 AM)

Perkele

@  Uncle Ben : (28 October 2018 - 08:43 PM)

WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Photo

Idw Comic Chatter

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 131 posts

Posted 3 days ago

So you actually believe that what ComicsGate is about? Seeing as these 'gate' controversies keep happening when someone in the media (be it any level) gets caught doing something wrong, causing a chain reaction of others getting caught as well due to a 'paper trail', how do you at all believe in the smokescreen red herring they put up? It's the oldest trick in the book.

But that's what it is, isn't it?

So you completely ignored my explanation of how comicsgate started?

Well, what else could I really say in response?

Could've made the topic more about him rather than the topic he was talking about :P

Look, I'm not gonna act like Ian is a perfect guy here. He has his flaws, as I'm sure we all do. But in this particular case, I happen to see where he's coming from. I too have had similar experiences to what he's been through and I can understand his frustrations with those particular crowds. And really, simply talking about a subject somebody doesn't like is enough to make anyone look like a jerk to someone with differing viewpoints.

It sounds like you're continuously bringing up a specific instance or specific instances rather than the general attitude he's been displaying that I'm talking about. So I have to ask, what specific thing happened to him for him to go on his little crusade?

I'm also beginning to think you're purposely trying to avoid acknowledging what's wrong here.

- Comicsgate was given a falsely applied stigma/definition. What he says it is is WRONG.
- Easily fooled people are accepting this stigma and definition.
- Ian's labeling people who give him crap as comicsgaters.
- People, who aren't fond of bullies in general, stupidly believe it, and dismiss them as intolerable.

https://www.inverse....el-dc-gamergate<--- This is bullshit
https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Comicsgate<--- This is correct.

Here's the thing. What many people believe to be a problem is actually apart of something larger that they would definitely want to keep the way it is if they had any brains about it. It's freedom of speech. Limitting it in any fashion limits your own unless you're a damned hypocrite, because you have to take the good with the bad, or you're basically cheating in ways that others aren't allowed to, completely obliterating your credibility.  The internet allows you to have contact with people you would normally not be able to face under normal circumstances, because hell, 20+ years ago, you wouldn't be talking to ANY of these pros, and the best you could do is HOPE that your letter reaches them, and most likely, if it was negative feedback, they'd ignore it.  Now it's out in the open where everyone can see how they react to it, and comicsgate is a result of that.  If you're an adult, you can simply use the tools given to you by the platform and block them, or better yet, if you're really "mature", you can listen to their opinion, no matter how they state it, and respond appropriately and move on.  Ian did none of that.  He decided to take the scumbag route and try to rally people against his critics.  That's not a point of view, that's a FACT. 

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#62 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 3 days ago

Could've made the topic more about him rather than the topic he was talking about :P

SmithyGCN is the one who brought it up. I thought the subject was about discussing his qualities as a writer. Discussing other things about the author himself doesn't really add anything to that topic.

I'm also beginning to think you're purposely trying to avoid acknowledging what's wrong here.

- Comicsgate was given a falsely applied stigma/definition. What he says it is is WRONG.
- Easily fooled people are accepting this stigma and definition.
- Ian's labeling people who give him crap as comicsgaters.
- People, who aren't fond of bullies in general, stupidly believe it, and dismiss them as intolerable.

https://www.inverse....el-dc-gamergate<--- This is bullshit
https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Comicsgate<--- This is correct.

Here's the thing. What many people believe to be a problem is actually apart of something larger that they would definitely want to keep the way it is if they had any brains about it. It's freedom of speech. Limitting it in any fashion limits your own unless you're a damned hypocrite, because you have to take the good with the bad, or you're basically cheating in ways that others aren't allowed to, completely obliterating your credibility.  The internet allows you to have contact with people you would normally not be able to face under normal circumstances, because hell, 20+ years ago, you wouldn't be talking to ANY of these pros, and the best you could do is HOPE that your letter reaches them, and most likely, if it was negative feedback, they'd ignore it.  Now it's out in the open where everyone can see how they react to it, and comicsgate is a result of that.  If you're an adult, you can simply use the tools given to you by the platform and block them, or better yet, if you're really "mature", you can listen to their opinion, no matter how they state it, and respond appropriately and move on.  Ian did none of that.  He decided to take the scumbag route and try to rally people against his critics.  That's not a point of view, that's a FACT. 

It sounds like you're continuously bringing up a specific instance or specific instances rather than the general attitude he's been displaying that I'm talking about. So I have to ask, what specific thing happened to him for him to go on his little crusade?

But he wasn't denouncing critics of his work - if anything, as long as they're reasonable, he acknowledges their critiques and tries improving off of them. What he was talking about was the self-entitled snobbery that some particular comic readers displayed towards him when he visited a comic book store.

As for my experience, I'd rather not go into too much detail since it was embarrassing. But to keep it basic, I said something about a particular comic series that I thought was interesting, but the guy who I was talking to started acting really elitist about his opinions in regards of the subject. It started to get uncomfortable when he went on rambling and objecting to everything I tried saying in response. Before long, I decided to leave the place because it was not only awkward but also really draining. I really tried respecting his opinions, but he didn't seem to return that sensibility - he felt like a control freak. And from most of my exposure to the ComicsGate movement, a lot of them seemed to embody that sort of mentality and it really disagrees with me. If what you said about the movement really started out that way, it certainly got worse when those sorts of people started joining it for bigoted reasons.

#63 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 131 posts

Posted 3 days ago

SmithyGCN is the one who brought it up. I thought the subject was about discussing his qualities as a writer. Discussing other things about the author himself doesn't really add anything to that topic.

Oh no, that's not it. I'm talking about the conversation between you and me. You two are talking about something else almost entirely.

stuff

But he wasn't denouncing critics of his work - if anything, as long as they're reasonable, he acknowledges their critiques and tries improving off of them. What he was talking about was the self-entitled snobbery that some particular comic readers displayed towards him when he visited a comic book store.

As for my experience, I'd rather not go into too much detail since it was embarrassing. But to keep it basic, I said something about a particular comic series that I thought was interesting, but the guy who I was talking to started acting really elitist about his opinions in regards of the subject. It started to get uncomfortable when he went on rambling and objecting to everything I tried saying in response. Before long, I decided to leave the place because it was not only awkward but also really draining. I really tried respecting his opinions, but he didn't seem to return that sensibility - he felt like a control freak. And from most of my exposure to the ComicsGate movement, a lot of them seemed to embody that sort of mentality and it really disagrees with me. If what you said about the movement really started out that way, it certainly got worse when those sorts of people started joining it for bigoted reasons.

Finally, a bit more to the meat and bones of the situation. Your problem is with Elitism. You're going to run into that everywhere in any field. I'm pretty sure people will consider you an elitist prick on certain topics regardless of how agreeable you are as well, so keep that in mind. And just like me, you're going to sit there wondering how they came to that conclusion when you haven't done anything remotely resembling that sort of thing. 

It's not a thing inherent to comicsgate, or comics in general.  And comicsgate doesn't have a 'core' audience.  They're nebulous, just like gamergate and annonymous.  The ONLY time you can say that someone joined comicsgate for "bigotted reasons" is if you know someone personally that stated they did so for said reason.  And you'd only be able to say that about them only. 

I'm a black guy. 

If I see there's an established character who's white and is then replaced with a black, gay, latino, or what have you character, I'll be up in arms too.  Don't do that crap with people's beloved heroes.  Make new ones instead.  You'll get far less backlash.  I mean, look at the dumbster fire that is thundercats roar and she-ra netflix.  People are mad because the designs are so different, or they're not the same characters as before....

....LOL, JUST LIKE SMITTY AND ME HERE REGARDING SALLY ACORN x NICOLE.  JUST LIKE ALL THE JAPANESE SONIC PURISTS OUT THERE IN REGARDS TO SATAM - though that was more of a localization thing, and is harmless as it did establish itself almost like a separate entity.  None of us HAVE to get our way about things, but at least you should be able to understand that people want things the same way they were rather than have it altered to the point of being something else entirely. 

Case in point - comicsgate is a reaction to corruption in the comics industry, possibly due to SJW infection.  They understadably want to be rid of that.  NOT that they want to keep any race, or identity out of their industry.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#64 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 3 days ago

Oh no, that's not it. I'm talking about the conversation between you and me. You two are talking about something else almost entirely.

I was intending to clarify some things that would've been misinterpreted. I wasn't intending it to collapse into a political discussion.

Finally, a bit more to the meat and bones of the situation. Your problem is with Elitism. You're going to run into that everywhere in any field. I'm pretty sure people will consider you an elitist prick on certain topics regardless of how agreeable you are as well, so keep that in mind. And just like me, you're going to sit there wondering how they came to that conclusion when you haven't done anything remotely resembling that sort of thing. 

It's not a thing inherent to comicsgate, or comics in general.  And comicsgate doesn't have a 'core' audience.  They're nebulous, just like gamergate and annonymous.  The ONLY time you can say that someone joined comicsgate for "bigotted reasons" is if you know someone personally that stated they did so for said reason.  And you'd only be able to say that about them only. 

I'm a black guy. 

If I see there's an established character who's white and is then replaced with a black, gay, latino, or what have you character, I'll be up in arms too.  Don't do that crap with people's beloved heroes.  Make new ones instead.  You'll get far less backlash.  I mean, look at the dumbster fire that is thundercats roar and she-ra netflix.  People are mad because the designs are so different, or they're not the same characters as before....

....LOL, JUST LIKE SMITTY AND ME HERE REGARDING SALLY ACORN x NICOLE.  JUST LIKE ALL THE JAPANESE SONIC PURISTS OUT THERE IN REGARDS TO SATAM - though that was more of a localization thing, and is harmless as it did establish itself almost like a separate entity.  None of us HAVE to get our way about things, but at least you should be able to understand that people want things the same way they were rather than have it altered to the point of being something else entirely. 

Case in point - comicsgate is a reaction to corruption in the comics industry, possibly due to SJW infection.  They understadably want to be rid of that.  NOT that they want to keep any race, or identity out of their industry.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

It does. And I can understand the annoyance towards the constant push for representation and keeping things safe.

But at the same time, I don't really mind change as long as it offers something new and interesting. I mean, I thought Marvel's take at an ill, comatose girl inheriting Thor's powers and assuming his identity was an interesting idea - I don't know how well it was executed since I never got to read those issues, but the idea in itself sounded neat.

I think I'm more lenient to these sorts of things because I've been exposed to many different incarnations and interpretations of classic characters. I mean, the Batman of the DCAU is totally different from the 60s Batman played by the late Adam West, but I learned to enjoy them both for what they were. The same goes for the Sonic series, and it's lead me to think up different creative ideas on familiar things I grew up with. If things remain stagnant, they become stale over time - there needs to be some variety to keep it alive and going.

The problem with Marvel, I think, is the fact that most of their comics are meant to share the same continuity that's been operating since the 60s. Had they bothered to give their franchise more varieties in universes like DC has been doing with their properties, I think these different interpretations of familiar characters would be more forgiving.

#65 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 131 posts

Posted 3 days ago

Fair enough.  I like to try to adapt to new stuff as well.  I think the problem comes in with other aspects of diversity injection - that the writers often times insert their personal politics into these new interpretations of our favorite heros as if to say, "We're *enter minority here*!  Fuck white, straight men."  The rejection probably wouldn't be controversy spawning if it wasn't for so much of that happening along with it.  Kinda like how you expect a "enter demographic here" to do something because they are known to stereotypically do such.  So whenever someone starts putting in diversified characters, the thing on comicsgater's minds is like "oh boy, how long till I get called out on my privilege?"

FOR EXAMPLE...  Me and some friends binge watched the new castlevania series season 2, and one of our guys was about to get up in arms over the fact that Isaac was being portrayed by a black man.  The rest of the group looked at his original design, noticed that he's only appeared looking that way in one game, and was a minor character.  We wound up convincing him that it wasn't much of a problem, and that in fact, it was better than the original design.  I mean look at that thing D: -

Original:  61c4a1cd1291e3fd2efeacee59d7b843.jpg

Netflix version:  618733935a2948be3db44a2465d6b7d348974d55

And netflix Isaac is badass

#66 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 3 days ago

Fair enough.  I like to try to adapt to new stuff as well.  I think the problem comes in with other aspects of diversity injection - that the writers often times insert their personal politics into these new interpretations of our favorite heros as if to say, "We're *enter minority here*!  Fuck white, straight men."  The rejection probably wouldn't be controversy spawning if it wasn't for so much of that happening along with it.  Kinda like how you expect a "enter demographic here" to do something because they are known to stereotypically do such. 

The frequency of inserted diversity doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other problem it seems to be generating as of late - and that's the dependency on the character's ethnicity and/or orientation alone to carry their appeal; as if making the character this particular demographic alone is all that's needed to make him/her a fully engaging character.

It gets even more insulting when after all the talk surrounding this particular character being of this particular demographic is finally shown off for the first time, only for it to be completely pointless. All that hype over a gay character who you'd never guessed was supposed to be gay appearing in only a few select scenes? If I were one of them, I would feel cheated.

FOR EXAMPLE...  Me and some friends binge watched the new castlevania series season 2, and one of our guys was about to get up in arms over the fact that Isaac was being portrayed by a black man.  The rest of the group looked at his original design, noticed that he's only appeared looking that way in one game, and was a minor character.  We wound up convincing him that it wasn't much of a problem, and that in fact, it was better than the original design.  I mean look at that thing D: -

Original:  61c4a1cd1291e3fd2efeacee59d7b843.jpg

Netflix version:  618733935a2948be3db44a2465d6b7d348974d55

And netflix Isaac is badass

Yeah, the Netflix version looks much more appealing. I think it's because they greatly simplified the design and toned down some of the stranger additions made in the original.

#67 SmithyGCN

SmithyGCN

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted A day ago

About the creator of Amy liking SatAM. You know why that's significant? Because reportedly, Japanese don't like Western anything. You know what else is significant? That western cartoons are popular in Japan. That tells you right there that the SatAM crew still have a chance.

And all this talk about Ian is making me frustrated. It's clear you aren't listening to a word we say about him even though the guy has proven himself to be a chronic liar and a blatant SJW. I'm tired of debating this. When I first made my views on the IDW series known, I didn't think that this would turn into a giant fight, but, no, guess I was wrong.

In either case, I'm staying out of this right now unless I feel the need to step in, which is unlikely. I don't mean to sound like an impotent jerk, but it's unavoidable at this point. <=/

#68 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,190 posts

Posted A day ago

About the creator of Amy liking SatAM. You know why that's significant? Because reportedly, Japanese don't like Western anything. You know what else is significant? That western cartoons are popular in Japan. That tells you right there that the SatAM crew still have a chance.

No, that doesn't really change the situation much, if at all. While it does show that not everyone working with Sonic Team disliked the show, that doesn't change the fact that it isn't recognized as part of the canon. Sonic Team has that habit of ignoring most things that were created by other parties. I mean, if they had any interest in integrating the SatAM cast into the games, they would've already done so instead of relying on comic writers to find a way of integrating them into a noncanon spinoff series.

Also, no. SatAM was never big in Japan since it apparently never aired there. Heck, the Sonic franchise, in general, has always struggled with the Japanese market - his primary appeal has mostly stemmed from American and European audiences. That's not to say that Japanese fans of the franchise or the show don't exist, but it's not as widely recognized there as it is here.

And all this talk about Ian is making me frustrated. It's clear you aren't listening to a word we say about him even though the guy has proven himself to be a chronic liar and a blatant SJW. I'm tired of debating this. When I first made my views on the IDW series known, I didn't think that this would turn into a giant fight, but, no, guess I was wrong.

In either case, I'm staying out of this right now unless I feel the need to step in, which is unlikely. I don't mean to sound like an impotent jerk, but it's unavoidable at this point. <=/

I'm not expecting you to like the comic series or Ian Flynn's writing, but I am here to express my opinions and clarify some serious misconceptions about the guy and how SEGA operates. And much of the stuff you've been sharing on this forum has already been clarified or debunked.

#69 SmithyGCN

SmithyGCN

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted A day ago

Ugh. I guess I have to step in AGAIN. Anyway, it does hint that Sega has SOME interest. On top of that, Sega has been including some inspiration from the show into their games and business demands that if there is demand for something, they will do something as interest means money. There are quite a few people who love the show and its characters. Sooner or later, there will most likely be something that correlates to those characters. It's business.

What misconceptions? They aren't misconceptions if they're true. Ian is an SJW. He has made his views known and follows what's most progressive. Nothing misconceptualized about that. You think Ian's the big savior of Sonic, but the guy has proven otherwise. I feel at this point, that even if I provided photos of the guy's tweets, you STILL wouldn't believe me.

EDIT: Also, if the audience is mostly western, why doesn't Sega try to cater to us if Japan is apparently indifferent in your eyes? Why would they bother with Japan?

#70 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 74 posts

Posted A day ago

Ugh. I guess I have to step in AGAIN. Anyway, it does hint that Sega has SOME interest. On top of that, Sega has been including some inspiration from the show into their games and business demands that if there is demand for something, they will do something as interest means money. There are quite a few people who love the show and its characters. Sooner or later, there will most likely be something that correlates to those characters. It's business.

Yes, I believe SatAM gave us much of what we love about Sonic. In fact, Archie's Sonic was loosely based on SatAM. But something that correlates to Sally and the others? I don't see that happening. SatAM was made way back in 1993 (happy 25th, SatAM!). I think they were good for Archie if used properly. but for now, I don't see them getting more recognition, except for maybe IDW much later down the road.

As for interest, they have to be interested if they allowed cameos of Sally and Bunnie in the Forces prequel comics. Unless that was all Ian. Either way, it's still cool.

What misconceptions? They aren't misconceptions if they're true. Ian is an SJW. He has made his views known and follows what's most progressive. Nothing misconceptualized about that. You think Ian's the big savior of Sonic, but the guy has proven otherwise. I feel at this point, that even if I provided photos of the guy's tweets, you STILL wouldn't believe me.

If Ian's an SJW, that might explain the Sally x Nicole ship. But hey, at least it wasn't really in-your-face.

I beg to differ, but he did, in fact, save Archie. How can you not like the guy who saved the comic from the writing of Ken Penders? The guy who wrote the awesome House of Cards arc? The guy who wrote TWO crossovers with Mega Man? How can you not like the guy who gave us Scourge the Hedgehog?! (Even if Penders came up with the concept.)

Also, if the audience is mostly western, why doesn't Sega try to cater to us if Japan is apparently indifferent in your eyes? Why would they bother with Japan?

Maybe because Sega is a Japanese-based company like Nintendo?
Hyped for the Sonic 2019 movie and the Mario 2022 movie!

Currently writing Chaos on Earth: A Sonic X Rewrite on FanFiction.net!

#71 SmithyGCN

SmithyGCN

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted A day ago

But a company needs to make money. If Japan's not as interested as Logiteeka claims, than why aren't they branching out? It would make more sense.

Now, I won't contend with Ian writing actually good stories when he was first starting out, but he has said the reboot was a fast forward button on his agenda. That means that's what he intended from the beginning. The guy just can't be trusted.

#72 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,482 posts

Posted A day ago

But a company needs to make money. If Japan's not as interested as Logiteeka claims, than why aren't they branching out? It would make more sense.

But isn't that where the debate began in the first place?  

Think about it, there's already an outcry for the changes in the comics, which is a very small portion of the fan base.  You yourself don't like the changes Ian made in Sally or Nicole and don't like the direction of the current IDW comic line.  Imagine now if that happened in the games.  There'd be a larger outcry, specifically as there are quite a few Sonic fans who don't like the SatAM and Archie Characters (just spend like 5 minutes on deviant art).  Heck, there was an outcry when the redesigned the cast for Boom, even before the game came out.  

Simply put, yes a company needs to make money, but branching out is just as likely to cause harm as it is to provide a benefit.  It's honestly a safer bet for SEGA to not include the characters, specifically if their ownership is still up in the air.  So instead the branch out with things like comics and cartoons, which are all considered non-canon to the games. 

Lastly, something many fans overlook, if the Freedom Fighters were to appear in the SEGA Sonic Universe (or whatever it's called) they likely wouldn't be the version you envision.  Just like how Archie redesigned their personalities (heck Antoine got his last name changed) from SatAM, and the reboot did it again from the previous universe, SEGA would likely redesign them to fit in their existing universe.  Which in itself would open a new can of worms.

#73 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 20 hours ago

SEGA is aware of the series existence, but that doesn't mean the creative teams running the franchise have any interest in reviving or utilizing any said elements.

If they did have any sort of investment in the show, we would've gotten more from them than just a comic-book spinoff that endured for years purely off of readership. We would've likely gotten more shows, the characters appearing in the games, and much more merchandise. Yet that clearly isn't the case, especially nowadays; they're currently engaged with their modern cast of characters to pay much heed to characters they had little involvement in creating.

I think the keyword you're looking for is progressive. Ian doesn't shy away from incorporating elements that would appeal to certain demographics into the comics. Lots of comic book writers do this; they've been doing it since the 60s.

A typical SJW is someone who is constantly offended by everything, no matter how offensive it is, and is constantly assembling protests online over the slightest little quirk that upsets them.

EDIT: Also, if the audience is mostly western, why doesn't Sega try to cater to us if Japan is apparently indifferent in your eyes? Why would they bother with Japan?

That's the question the fanbase has been asking since the late 90s. If I had to guess the reason why, since the majority of Sonic Team is located in Japan, it's likely they have limited exposure to what Western audiences want. Even then, there might be other factors at play.

Now, I won't contend with Ian writing actually good stories when he was first starting out, but he has said the reboot was a fast forward button on his agenda. That means that's what he intended from the beginning. The guy just can't be trusted.

No, the reboot was the result of the lawsuit between Archie and Penders going awry. Its creation was sort of a rush job since Ian had to create an entirely new universe from scratch, with only the elements that they were still allowed to utilize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users