Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2018 - 09:58 PM)

When was there a Woody Woodpecker film?

@  Clocktopus : (21 October 2018 - 07:30 PM)

There has yet to be a live-action/CGI movie that hasn't sucked. Woody Woodpecker? Smurfs? Chipmunks? Garfield? Take your pick.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2018 - 06:39 PM)

True

@  Shadow : (21 October 2018 - 05:38 PM)

Nobody wanted a live action Smurfs either.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2018 - 04:33 PM)

I still think it would work better as an animated film.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2018 - 04:33 PM)

Still, for a film like the Smurfs, it makes sense. For Sonic, it has to be done *exactly* right.

@  Shadow : (21 October 2018 - 08:09 AM)

Probably a cheap way to keep the budget down to not pay for the whole movie being a Pixar budget.

@  Uncle Ben : (20 October 2018 - 09:06 PM)

I really dont know why they insisted on it being a hybrid film

@  Uncle Ben : (20 October 2018 - 09:05 PM)

I do think there will be some salvageable parts to the film.

@  Sandata : (20 October 2018 - 03:09 PM)

I want the Sonic movie to be good. Hell even if I hear it's terrible I'll probably go see it, but I'd love it to actually turn out well.

@  Sandata : (20 October 2018 - 03:08 PM)

House of the Dead was so horribad... I saw it with friends and one guy really said it best as we left, "Yeah, so it's interesting how bad that movie sucked."

@  Uncle Ben : (20 October 2018 - 07:19 AM)

Because of course it is

@  Shadow : (18 October 2018 - 10:16 PM)

The town is called Green Hills.

@  ShenFNWoo : (18 October 2018 - 09:10 PM)

Spits

@  Shadow : (18 October 2018 - 12:17 PM)

Needs the help of a local county cop to protect him, and becomes viral online when recorded by townsfolk.

@  Shadow : (18 October 2018 - 12:16 PM)

From what I heard the plot is, it's about Sonic being an animal that got experimented on by Eggman who steals magical incan rings from him.

@  Uncle Ben : (18 October 2018 - 07:39 AM)

failure*

@  Uncle Ben : (18 October 2018 - 07:39 AM)

I always said it was gonna be ironically excellent or a spectacular flaiure

@  Clocktopus : (18 October 2018 - 05:58 AM)

But we KNEW that already!

@  Shadow : (17 October 2018 - 01:34 PM)

The Sonic movie is being filmed on my island, and the rumors of the supposed plot sound extremely cringe worthy awful.

Photo

Idw Sonic Editors Q+a

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FUS News Robot

FUS News Robot

Extra! Extra!

• Newsbot
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

From 3-4PM on June 29th editors John Hughes and David Mariotte of IDW Sonic answered fan questions over facebook about questions of the future of the comics and future appearances of past characters. Below are all questions that were responded to.

Fan
How would it be possible for me to get to draw a cover for the comic?

David Mariotte
Realistically, Joe and I are mostly looking at comics professionals, though, clearly we also find people like Nathalie Fourdraine online and are taken by her art in such a way that we reach and hired her. Really, it's just a matter of showing professionalism and having a good portfolio that'll be approved by IDW and Sega.

Fan
I wanna know if Sticks the Badger will ever appear in the series. I know she's from Boom, but, I've seen her appear alongside regular Sonic in some games, so, it's still a possibility. Also, I second that drawing of covers idea.

Joe Hughes
Hey Matthew! We're working on bringing in more characters that fans love, but I can't go into specifics yet (I know that's a vague answer. Sorry!) But I think you'll be happy with some of the characters we have appearing in the comics in the coming months!

Fan
I would like to add to that question. Is Sonic allowed to experience defeat or cry in an issue or is he always the winner in every instance? Thank you.

David Mariotte
We've talked about this a bit before. Anytime you're editing licensed comics, there are things you can and can't do. For example, Sonic isn't going to be red with a big bushy beard and sweatpants in any upcoming issues because, well, that's not how Sonic looks! We definitely have some mandates of that nature that we have to work under, but most of it's common sense stuff. Sega's been a great partner to work with and has largely let us do what we want to with the comics.

Fan
What are some of the hardest things about editing the comics, especially for a fanbase as diverse as Sonic fans? Would love to see some more insight into your guys's world!!

Joe Hughes
One of the things David and I talk about a lot is the idea that editing the Sonic comics is a lot like editing the X-Men -- there's so much history and so many great characters. The biggest challenge early on is finding the balance between making comics that will make longtime fans happy, while also making comics that are accessible for new readers! It can be tricky, but if the hardest part of my day is making a fun Sonic comic for folks, then really, my day has been pretty good.

Fan
What species is the new character, Whisper?

David Mariotte
You'll have to wait a little longer to find that out! But you'll know soon!

Joe Hughes
You'll see really, really soon! In just a few weeks, I'd say.

Fan
Will Infinite appear in the comics? He's one of my favorite charaters! Thanks for your time!

Joe Hughes
No thanks necessary! This is fun for us. We can't answer that one yet, but I can say this: You're going to see some folks you weren't expecting, in places you didn't expect to see them.

Fan
I know it isnt IDW-related, but what do you guys think about Ian's new campaign to get him the chance to write the story for a sonic game? #Flynn4Sonic

David Mariotte
Ian's a fantastically talented writer and anyone who can get him would be lucky to have him—just as long as they don't take him from us!

Fan
What is Eggman's motivation? Is he trying to take over the planet for giggles? Is he trying to protect it by making it mechanized? Or is he just plain evil? He is a villain with a lot of potential and I would love to see a What If? comic where he rules the world.

David Mariotte
Eggman? Who's that? I only know a nice fellow named Mr. Tinker!

Joe Hughes
This is a great question! One of the things that drew me to comics at a very young age was questioning the motivations of villains (I was obsessed with reading Dr. Doom comics as a kid for this very reason). And it's the kind of thing that, down the line, I want to explore.

Fan
Hello! Hope the day is going well for you guys! Are there any surprising moments you've experienced with any of the creative team that you could share?

David Mariotte
Joe, Ian, and I went to dinner during WonderCon 2018 and Ian laid out some loose plans for Sonic year 2—nothing final, just what he was thinking at the time. It started out with Joe and I responding affirmatively, but by the time Ian was finishing, we were just sitting in silence because we were so wrapped up in what he was saying.
Also, there are always pleasant surprises like seeing how Tyson first designed Tangle, Rough, and Tumble, or seeing the first designs for Whisper!

Joe Hughes
Ian Flynn once threw a pie in my face. No, but seriously, I can't stress enough how cool, smart and fun everyone we've worked with so far has been. You know all the regulars, but I'd specifically like to give a big shout out to Nathalie Fourdraine, who draws the RI covers for us every month. This was her first ever professional comics work, and she took to the whole process so fast. It's been a joy to see, and it's incredibly rewarding. I've loved working with her just as much as I've loved working with veteran pros like Tracy Yardley, Evan Stanley, Ian Flynn, Tyson Hesse, Matt Herms, and a bunch of other people (I could go on all day)!

Fan
Will we see more of team dark and is there a possibility for them to have their own comic? Also will shadow and rouge ever be in a relationship?

David Mariotte
I'm sure we'll see more of Team Dark in the future. As per their own comic, I guess that's a matter of a bunch of fans like you telling us that's something you'd want to read.

Joe Hughes
I mean... would YOU want to date Shadow? I love him to death, but that dude doesn't seem like he'd be the most emotionally available significant other.

Fan
Is there a rumor from Ian Flynn that when Sticks the Badger joins IDW Sonic the Hedgehog comic books in a future issue that she might get an IDW makeover that's different than her Sonic Boom "jungle badger" look?

David Mariotte
I had not heard that rumor, but it may exist.

Fan
How many books do we need to buy to get a second book like Archie's Sonic Universe? I know we don't want to rush things, but is this a future possibility?

David Mariotte
We can't really put a specific number on that. That said, making sure that you're not only subscribing or picking up every issue, but telling your friends about the series and getting them to pick it up is a huge help for seeing more content in the future. Constant or even rising numbers will signal that we need to put out even more stuff.

Fan
Now that Mighty and Ray are back in the fold, will we see them soon? Can Mighty be part of the Chaotix or not?

David Mariotte
Mighty and Ray are classic characters (why they're appearing in the amazing Sonic Mania Adventures series), so unfortunately, we won't be seeing them in the main series which is based on Modern Sonic.
Fan
Will IDW ever do miniseries of Sonic X, Sonic Boom, Sonic Underground, and Sonic SatAM?

David Mariotte
If fan demand is high enough and there are great stories to tell (which there are), I wouldn't rule them out. But no plans in the foreseeable future.

Fan
Is the comic book going to stick to it's own ideas and be written with fans of the video games in mind, or is there a possibility for more detailed flashbacks from the game events for uninitiated readers?

David Mariotte
One of the really difficult things with this series is striking the right balance between moving forward and having context, right? We're certainly inspired by the games, but if we were to go back and rehash exactly how our version differs from them, that'd be kind of boring to those who do know and would detract from moving forward into new adventures. So, for now, I think it'll mostly be small flashbacks.

Fan
Any thoughts on bringing the off-panel mini joke comics at the end of the book back? If you ever need an artist for it I specialize drawing in a "toon" comedic style!

David Mariotte
Having read some of those, they're a lot of fun. We don't have any plans for anything like that right now, but we're certainly going to keep up the Sonic Letters Squad in the backs of the books.

Fan
What is your favorite issue of the new IDW series so far and from the old Archie series (if you read them)

David Mariotte
We really love all the IDW comics so far. I personally have an extra special love for issue #4 because it was the first appearance of Tangle and specifically the people in this group just had such an outpouring of love for her and for that issue. I don't really want to play favorites, but that's a very special experience that does set that issue apart for me.

Joe Hughes
To echo what David said, the fan reaction to Tangle was one of the most amazing and humbling experiences I've had working in comics. So in that sense, that issue is pretty special to all of us. I also don't want to choose a favorite, but I'll say this: I am reeeeally excited for all of you to see issue #7.

Fan
Will Tangle the Lemur appear more regularly in the future?

David Mariotte
Tangle will definitely be coming back! We'll be seeing her more soon!

Joe Hughes
Tangle will be showing up again in issue #9, and she'll be around for a while, if I have anything to say about it. Thanks for the question.

Fan
Will we get Classic Sonic mentions?

David Mariotte
If we ever do anything with Classic Sonic, it'll like be it's own series. The current sereis is all focused on Modern Sonic.

Fan
Is the IDW team interested in bringing the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book across the globe?

David Mariotte
We definitely are! I know we have it available around the world digitally, but we very much want to get it into as many hands as want to read it!

Fan
When will Big the Cat be in the comics??

David Mariotte
Not soon enough for you or me.

Joe Hughes
You might not know it yet, but you and David Mariotte just became best friends.

Fan
How are you finding people's responses to how the comics have started off? Did you feel like Archie was a lot to live up to?

David Mariotte
People have a lot of feelings attached to the versions of Sonic they grew up to and that'll always color their impressions. I'm very glad you're enjoying the series (we are too) and the response has largely been good! New readers are happy and so are old ones! I think some people have a hard time really understanding that what we're doing is new, so they can be hard to sway, but mostly the response has been positive.

Joe Hughes
Glad you're enjoying it! The response has been overwhelming, inspiring, and at times genuinely touching. I've never come across a fanbase quite like this one. You folks are pretty great.

Fan
Will you ever consider to have crossovers with other IDW series or is it strictly sonic for now?

David Mariotte
Strictly Sonic for now! I'm sure we'll consider it, but not anytime soon.

Fan
Is there any way to purchase the bundle with the T-shirt outside of the US? If no, can that be made possible, please?

David Mariotte
Unfortunately, that bundle was run through the Sega Shop, so that wasn't our decision. Keep asking Sega to do more stuff like that and hopefully they'll be able to release it more widely!

Fan
What are fans to consider Canon prior to issue # 1? Obviously the characters have already met in the IDW comics, so what do we assume their back stories are?

David Mariotte
As we go along, I think that'll answer more and more about what is canon. At this point, the only really formalized canon is what we've had in the comics. For people who don't know Sonic, it's important that they don't have to know anything to enjoy the comics as they are.

Fan
Will the chaos emeralds make an appearance at some point?

David Mariotte
At some point, probably! They're too big a part of the Sonic mythos to never be seen.

Fan
The team has done a great job at introducing all the major characters in Sonic's world (Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Shadow etc.) one issue at a time, and establishing their relationships with Sonic. What kind of direction do you see the series taking after all this groundwork has been laid? What would you like to do with year two that wasn't feasible in year one?

David Mariotte
We have some ideas in mind and Ian has some ideas in mind for year 2. Things are picking up in year one and will expand as we go forward. I think one of the things that was very important to us with the first few issues was situating people in Sonic's world. Tangle is, to us, what a person who just found themselves meeting Sonic one day would be like and we want to have people understand Sonic before getting into some of the crazier stuff we have planned.

Fan
I know he’s busy, but will Tyson Hesse have any more involvement with the comics this year or next?

Joe Hughes
Tyson is CRAZY busy, but he's welcome to work on the comics anytime he likes. He has an open invitation.

Fan
Who are your favorite all time Sonic characters in games and comics?

Joe Hughes
It may be a lazy answer, but for me it's Tails. He's a young, brave kid with a really strong sense of right and wrong. He doesn't do what he does because he's addicted to adventure, and he isn't motivated by tragedy. He just wants to help people. I admire that.

Read the full story here

#2 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

Mighty and Ray are classic characters (why they're appearing in the amazing Sonic Mania Adventures series), so unfortunately, we won't be seeing them in the main series which is based on Modern Sonic.

So now the Chaotix are unbalanced even in the comics for the sake of... I don't know.

As for the rest, it's the usual non-answer marketing schmilblick.

#3 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

David Mariotte
Eggman? Who's that? I only know a nice fellow named Mr. Tinker!

LOL!

Fan
Will IDW ever do miniseries of Sonic X, Sonic Boom, Sonic Underground, and Sonic SatAM?

David Mariotte
If fan demand is high enough and there are great stories to tell (which there are), I wouldn't rule them out. But no plans in the foreseeable future.

I thought SEGA said no to Sonic Underground and Sonic X.

Pumped for IDW in April 2018! And also the 2019 Sonic movie.

It's high time I got an avatar...

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

I knew it! I remember reading something about that before and hardly anyone believed me, but I guess the info is out there now.

Makes me wonder if the same applies to the rest of the classic characters. I mean, we got a mention of the Hooligans in issue #3 of IDW Sonic, but if the same mandate applies to them, that might've been only an allusion; Ian's way of sneaking it pass SEGA's radar.

Oh well. At least Sticks and the Freedom Fighters are still available to use. It's only just a matter of time.

As for the rest, it's the usual non-answer marketing schmilblick.

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure they don't want to lose their jobs.

I thought SEGA said no to Sonic Underground and Sonic X.

From what I've been able to gather, "Underground" is sorta in the same category that SatAM, AoStH, and "Boom" are currently in - they're rightfully owned by SEGA but they no longer see the need of them. But if IDW is in better relations with SEGA than Archie was, there's a chance that they might be a bit more lenient with them.

I mean, the staff at IDW keep mentioning old familiar characters will make surprise appearances later on, but the games don't have that many characters when you get down to it - the majority of them have already been introduced. This could indicate that the characters they're alluding to are from other iterations. At least, that's my hypothesis.

"Sonic X", though, is an odder one. Originally, SEGA only owned the elements that TMS Entertainment borrowed from them but didn't own any of the original creations (Chris, Cosmo, etc.). This made licensing a bit problematic, to say the least; we all remember the dispute surrounding Cream the Rabbit and Emerl. But just recently, I learned SEGA seemingly bought TMS Entertainment, so I guess it's their property as well now.

#5 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

Didn't get to read all of it, but from the looks of it, the gist of a lot of their given answers is "we can't answer that question straight, so we'll talk around it to sound like there's more to what we're doing and possibly give you false hope".

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#6 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,466 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

This is less of a problem of the answers but rather the questions. Obviously they can't spoil anything, so why ask questions about events to come? They can't tell you about events to come, upcoming characters, or differences with the old comic line as all of those reveal spoilers.

#7 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:45 AM

Are they avoiding spoilers though?  The issue is more that they either sound like they're lying or evading by easing off of a direct answer, or they're using such circumstances to their advantage.  If you're answer is basically "wait and see", why not just tell everyone outright at the begining, "hey, we're not going to bullshit you, our purpose is to not spoil possible plotlines".  How many questions are effectively getting answered here?  What's the point of a Q&A if you don't prepare to shoot down the possibility of questions you have no intention of answering beforehand, so that people dont' waste people's time - or stop them from getting fed up with what you DO say? 

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#8 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

How many questions are effectively getting answered here?  What's the point of a Q&A if you don't prepare to shoot down the possibility of questions you have no intention of answering beforehand, so that people dont' waste people's time - or stop them from getting fed up with what you DO say? 

To be fair, some Q&A meetings are kinda spontaneous. A lot of the people being questioned are either unprepared or have a list of answers to provide certain inquiries that are hardly the ones asked.

#9 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

Are they avoiding spoilers though? The issue is more that they either sound like they're lying or evading by easing off of a direct answer, or they're using such circumstances to their advantage. If you're answer is basically "wait and see", why not just tell everyone outright at the begining, "hey, we're not going to bullshit you, our purpose is to not spoil possible plotlines". How many questions are effectively getting answered here? What's the point of a Q&A if you don't prepare to shoot down the possibility of questions you have no intention of answering beforehand, so that people dont' waste people's time - or stop them from getting fed up with what you DO say?

What's the point of the fans asking questions they should know they aren't going to get an answer for?
I'd rather read the story and have vain hope than be spoiled knowing who will appear later. If the freedom fighters appear, I'd rather it be part of the story not because a quota. If they tell you "yes they will appear" all they are is a quota, another checkpoint of appeasement and not good storytelling. The same if they say no, now you know they'll never appear. Not now, not later, not 2 years down the road.
Also, if you've ever worked with costumers, you know no matter how stupid they act, you can't tell no and you have to provide service. They have to answer questions, they can't say no. But that doesn't mean they have to reveal their plans.
Simply put, if you don't want a dodgey answer don't asks questions you know they can't answer. Anything plot related puts them in a corner. They either spoil it and potentially lose their job or they dodge it.

#10 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

I think the IDW writing staff has very little long term story plots hashed out so far, and the editors probably are told very little of issue by issue basis making their Q&A a bit redundant.

#11 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Ain't No Party Like A Superkick Party

• Moderators
  • 13,417 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

I think the IDW writing staff has very little long term story plots hashed out so far, and the editors probably are told very little of issue by issue basis making their Q&A a bit redundant.

If they don't have anything long term planned in the first year, that's kinda understandable as they're trying to establish the base of the world first, then they can go from there.

Ian said the biggest complaint he got in Post-SGW was that he tried world-building too quickly and as a result everything wasn't as good as it could have been. Though, ironically, there not a lot of world-building now and makes me (and from what I have seen, others too) want some world building.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#12 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

What's the point of the fans asking questions they should know they aren't going to get an answer for?
I'd rather read the story and have vain hope than be spoiled knowing who will appear later. If the freedom fighters appear, I'd rather it be part of the story not because a quota.

Should they know that they won't get an answer for it though?  There's only so many questions you can even formulate for people working on a series that are of valid technical depth that won't reach into the realm of "spoiler" territory.  I still maintain that they should've put in a disclaimer before deciding, if they did, to consider it a granted that people understand they may have to talk around a subject.  No matter what the case is, professionalism also equates to conman level dishonesty.

I'd rather read the story and have vain hope than be spoiled knowing who will appear later. If the freedom fighters appear, I'd rather it be part of the story not because a quota.  If they tell you "yes they will appear" all they are is a quota, another checkpoint of appeasement and not good storytelling. The same if they say no, now you know they'll never appear. Not now, not later, not 2 years down the road.

This is a rather weak argument.  I've never understood the premise of people getting highly upset over "spoilers" because it reveals some sort of fleeting/flakey understanding of the subject material.  As they say in a motivational poster, success is a journey, not a destination.  Putting such importance on spoilers effectively says vice versa of that.  To state it another way, if you don't actually see how the thing plays out, what's the point of even having such a reaction to the spoiler?  People also lie, and or simply give false information on purpose, which also gives further merit to the fact that such reactions are knee jerk at best.  If you're not going to stick around simply because you know one aspect about how things will play out, you probably weren't all that vested in it. 

And then the quota thing....  Well lol :V .  Um....  We knew that Sonic and Tails would show up.  Amy too.  Did these quotas add or limit your enjoyment of the series?  We know that Ian is a big fan of the games, and will make the comic more like them.  On top of that, Sega pretty much having him and IDW on a leash.  So we know that game characters will be in there.  How much did that lessen your enjoyment of what to expect in the comic?  None so far?  I was going to say that they could at the very least say that the Freedom fighters are available to be put into the comic, but I noticed Logiteeka said something to that effect, though I don't have the time to find where they confirmed that in this thread.  Can someone provide quotes?

Also, if you've ever worked with costumers, you know no matter how stupid they act, you can't tell no and you have to provide service. They have to answer questions, they can't say no. But that doesn't mean they have to reveal their plans.  Simply put, if you don't want a dodgey answer don't asks questions you know they can't answer. Anything plot related puts them in a corner. They either spoil it and potentially lose their job or they dodge it.

I've worked in retail for 7 years.  If a customer does something too stupid, enough to be considered harassment, you can refuse service.  In this case though, like I said, the disclaimer would've handled the "looking shady" part.

#13 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,466 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

Did you read the questions?

The questions weren't "can you" But rather "are you".

Also yes. Knowing a character or event will occur does lessen story for me. I don't like how the characters appeared not based on a good spot in the story but rather "so and so is appearing in blank issue so here is so and so". Amy's appearance only served to introduce her. It accomplished little to expand the world and at best only briefly went into backstory. So being told that Amy would appear in issue 2 ahead of time did not improve things but rather reduced my enjoy because I felt let down. If you're hyped up about the story only for the story to not live up to expectations, it takes away from the experience.

If you were told Sally was appearing in an issue only for her appearance to be related as background or unimportant role be a let down? Would it not have been better to just have been surprised by her appearance instead?

And even if you personally don't mind spoilers, many people do. In a public questioning, it's better to avoid the spoilers to ruin it for the others. Leave the spoilers for those who don't mind only.

#14 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Did you read the questions?

The questions weren't "can you" But rather "are you".

Yes, but seeing as they're looking for the best possible answer to the question to satisfy the readers, they could've said "They're available/not to use", and that would best answer the question if spoilers are so important and taken into consideration.

Also yes. Knowing a character or event will occur does lessen story for me. I don't like how the characters appeared not based on a good spot in the story but rather "so and so is appearing in blank issue so here is so and so". Amy's appearance only served to introduce her. It accomplished little to expand the world and at best only briefly went into backstory. So being told that Amy would appear in issue 2 ahead of time did not improve things but rather reduced my enjoy because I felt let down. If you're hyped up about the story only for the story to not live up to expectations, it takes away from the experience.

If you were told Sally was appearing in an issue only for her appearance to be related as background or unimportant role be a let down? Would it not have been better to just have been surprised by her appearance instead?

I noticed how you answered around the question about knowing whether or not Sonic showing up in the Sonic comic came off as nothing more than a quota to be filled.  Quite a stupid question, yes, but totally valid.  Granting you didn't answer that one directly, you still didn't bother to address whether Tails showing up seemed like a quota to you either.  That's a little interesting, because Tails isn't necessarily an obligatory character, even if he's a sidekick, as Sonic has gone off on his own several times in games and stories proceeding his introduction as a staple character. 

Listening to your example, your problem is more how they're implemented, and problems with your policies towards reading a comic - aka, having an expectation and then being let down.  That's totally a subjective thing that you've projected onto your hobby, hoping someone else would intuitively be able to satisfy that standard. 

Also, you knew when exactly she would appear.  A specific timetable, to be more direct.  Yeah, it's agreed that knowing something that specific could dissapoint.... however there's no agreement on the idea that NOT knowing they would show up at some point would avoid spoilers.  It's Sonic.  You expect Sonic related characters to show up.  It'd be more a spoiler to know that Mario would work his way in there somehow. 

So summing it up, knowing they'll show up doesn't seem the issue based on your wording - the bad presentation/handling of their introduction and the significance and impact their introduction has on the story/worldbuilding is what you consider important, and not knowing specific times when characters would show up would be optimal, and on that last point, we both could agree on.

And even if you personally don't mind spoilers, many people do. In a public questioning, it's better to avoid the spoilers to ruin it for the others. Leave the spoilers for those who don't mind only.

I've just explained objectively how spoilers aren't ruinous to your enjoyment of something, and your allowing it to be ruined is significantly on your own shoulders for reasons being that you believed the source of the spoiler without question; didn't bother to confirm for yourself the spoiler; have very little attachment or committment to the series that you'd allow such vectors to destroy your enjoyment by listening to said source and refusing to experience it because of said spoiler.  You can feel any which way about it that you like, that's on you, but you'd be wrong.  The only time I'm even remotely concerned about spoilers is in entertainment mysteries when the entire plot hinges on the viewer figuring it out themselves. 

I think people who complain about spoilers wouldn't be half as reserved if they read TV Tropes a lot more often.  Seriously, most of this stuff, especially nowadays with this particular comic with Sega holding the strings, is incredibly predictable.  Psychic levels, even.  Small stuff like knowing who's involved should be inconsequential with this extent of knowledge.

#15 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

I think people who complain about spoilers wouldn't be half as reserved if they read TV Tropes a lot more often.  Seriously, most of this stuff, especially nowadays with this particular comic with Sega holding the strings, is incredibly predictable.  Psychic levels, even.  Small stuff like knowing who's involved should be inconsequential with this extent of knowledge.

Well your theory is wrong here as I have read TV Tropes quite frequently and it was the reason to cause me to dislike spoilers.  

Ironically based on your own argument, not being affected by spoilers is as you said "significantly on your own shoulders."   The whole concept of "liking or disliking" a story comes from choosing what makes it better and/or worse for you.  As I've stated above, I find revealing spoilers make stories feel less like a story, and more like a checklist.  I'm not interested in reading checklists.  

But I see there is nothing I can say that shall persuade you to my side, so to explain it more is fruitless.  Suffice to say, if Amy had not been spoiled to appear in her issue, I would have instead of having expectations, be pleasantly surprised about her appearance.  Rather than being disappointed in her appearance (note this doesn't mean I didn't like the issue, just thought it could be done better), I would have been more accepting.  While Amy's appearance is a minor note, and something expected, I really am not phased much by her, but say Sally or Snively, characters I'm more fond of, again, I'd rather they appear without expectations.  This goes with all spoilers, big or small, as it is not the quality, but rather the quantity.  The more a story becomes is revealed early, the more I know how or when things happen, the less interesting it is to read.  

#16 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Well your theory is wrong here as I have read TV Tropes quite frequently and it was the reason to cause me to dislike spoilers.

...Yes~....  For some reason I didon't factor in the idea that people would reject it.... despite having encountered such a thing before.  The only reason I can see why they would do such a thing is because they allow it to possibly ruin their enjoyment of the things being analyzed, when it really should help with one's appreciation of it. 

It's nothing more than the deconstruction and breaking concepts down (coining into) to terms as a way of applying it to other literary works.  It serves as a way of bringing these professional, higher than thou big wigs behind production back down to being nothing more than mere, flawed mortals who basically run the same laps and jump the same hoops that the average person does, giving one hope that they too, can make something just as widely accepted and appreciated, now that the playing feild is even. 

I said I've encountered rejection of the concept of TV tropes before, and simply put, the justification given by that person was that it ruined his enjoyment of things because it broke things down way too much, and was too analytical, and thinking too much about what was going on in the construction of the work made things boring for him - feelings over facts, so to say.  Not saying that the same exact thing is going on here, but any negative application of accumulated knowledge in this case is a misuse of such.

Ironically based on your own argument, not being affected by spoilers is as you said "significantly on your own shoulders."  

Why yes, guilty as charged.

The whole concept of "liking or disliking" a story comes from choosing what makes it better and/or worse for you

That does not mean your choices are the correct ones.  You can choose to lower your expectations, becoming less rigid and more loose allowing little to rattle your world, or you can choose to erect an instant glass house on the beachfront 3 days away from a massive category 5 hurricane.  It's weird that people might accuse critics (not accusing anyone here of doing this) of overthinking an issue when something thought to be a spoiler being tossed out there actually causes those susceptible to it to overthinking, which in turn ruins the thing for them.  All of these arguments can be turned on their head against those who keep such fragile viewpoints. 

You have a responsibility to protect that which is dear to you, meanwhile maximizing effectiveness.  If what is dear to you may be more trouble than it's worth - upholding something easily shattered - then it's high time to change priorities.

As I've stated above, I find revealing spoilers make stories feel less like a story, and more like a checklist.  I'm not interested in reading checklists. 

Right, because simply put, you basically make the spoiler something to look out for, and getting complete tunnel vision on it, you may miss the forest for the trees.  Most stories have happy endings.  This is Sonic the hedgehog.  He's the main character.  We're pretty sure he's never going to die by the hands of a villain, yet this doesn't ruin anything for us. 

But I see there is nothing I can say that shall persuade you to my side, so to explain it more is fruitless.

Discussion is never fruitless.  It would be very easy to change my mind if you completely obliterated my logic.  Everything has a logic to it, even opinions, and they can be wrong, despite what postmodernism would tell you.  You wish to maintain a rigid stance in what practically amounts to chaos (the internet) where anything could come off as a spoiler to you, whether deliberate or by accident.  There's ways of doing the same thing without being completely rigid, and I don't know the term for it, or if there's a term for it, but I call it 'deadpanning', where you basically turn your brain off and simply watch/read a show with nothing more on your mind than finding pleasure in what you're experiencing.  Plenty of people did this when they watched The Last Jedi, and can't for the life of them figure out why avid, hardcore Star Wars fans found the movie to be complete garbage - so at least we know it works.  Hell, we all do it, more often than not - I'd really like for someone to explain to me why cities, caves, ancient ruins and structures and countriesides in Sonic the hedgehog anything are made to look like Tony Hawk obstacle courses, but I've never questioned it while playing the games!  xD

While Amy's appearance is a minor note, and something expected, I really am not phased much by her, but say Sally or Snively, characters I'm more fond of, again, I'd rather they appear without expectations.

More fond of, yet they never appear, can lead also to frustration.  A long..... drawn out....  agravating .....frustratoin.  And you'll never get confirmation because of your stance on the issue.  Oh, and say they do get introduced some eons later, and some other unreleated nonsense happens to cancel the comic immediately afterward?  That you waited so long, was it worth it?

This goes with all spoilers, big or small, as it is not the quality, but rather the quantity.

Given your answring my questions generally rather than specifically, I wouldn't know how to take that statement.  From what I've gotten so far, it was them existing "at all" that bothered you.

The more a story becomes is revealed early, the more I know how or when things happen, the less interesting it is to read.

Take a look at my deviant art gallery for pictures regarding my phantasy star fangame.  They're labeled Team 1 and Team 2.  Not all of the characters that are going to be present, but as many as I could commission at the time.  Which characters are good guys?  Which characters are bad guys?  Which will play an important role, and which will only turn up for a sidestory and will screw off forever afterwards?  Did I simply throw some NPCs in there to throw you off? 

I hope you know that I'm not replying to you just for the sake of getting the last word.  I really do like clearing up misunderstandings, so it might seem like I'm posting past the point of "agree to disagree", but if you never post that and only that, then I always feel like there's more to discuss.  And discussions like these should be had more anyway, especially as dead as this place has been.

#17 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,466 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

Nah, you're fine. Clearing up confusion is always preferable.

And don't get me wrong, I don't hate spoilers or tropes, but I don't like them either. Honestly breaking a trope can be just as frustrating or disappointing.

I just felt I was taking away from the thread by trying to persuade rather than discussing.

xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users