Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  E122Psi : (14 August 2018 - 03:51 AM)

Actually come to think about it, Winnie the Pooh actually had a proto-Julian:

@  E122Psi : (14 August 2018 - 03:49 AM)

Just reminding everyone that Julian Robotnik is back voicing a silly old bear on Thursday. Sadly Princess Sally is not back as Kanga.

@  Ishapar : (14 August 2018 - 03:18 AM)

Chess is centuries old yet it is still a fun game. It doesn't matter how old a game is as long as the game itself is fun and challenging.

@  Uncle Ben : (13 August 2018 - 08:56 PM)

Game is 20 years old...

@  LogiTeeka : (12 August 2018 - 02:46 PM)

Eh. 64 feels dated and kinda boring to me.

@  Ishapar : (10 August 2018 - 03:01 AM)

I played Odyssey a little with my friends, but I became bored with it right away. Mario 64 and Paper Mario are the only Mario games I can come back and play over and over to have fun.

@  Sunnyfruit : (09 August 2018 - 12:44 PM)

I have a Switch but Odyssey feels too much of a collectathon to me. I agree that the game looks gorgeous though.

@  GamemasterAn... : (08 August 2018 - 07:22 AM)

No reference to Captain N, Sakurai? I am disappoint...

@  Uncle Ben : (08 August 2018 - 06:25 AM)

Just announced for Smash Ultimate: Simon Belmont, Ritchie Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K.Rool

@  Uncle Ben : (07 August 2018 - 08:30 PM)

Play Odyssey if you can, it's great

@  Sunnyfruit : (07 August 2018 - 05:49 AM)

Mario died with SMW to me, and even there he was just a boring second. Kirby's the dreaded challenger

@  Ishapar : (07 August 2018 - 03:57 AM)

Sonic fanbase talking positively about the rival mascot. Yeah, I think Sonic is really tapping his foot on this one...

@  RedAuthar : (05 August 2018 - 08:13 PM)

But You should totally make a thread about doing a SatAM styled Mario series.

@  RedAuthar : (05 August 2018 - 08:11 PM)

SatAM was taking a, at the time, rather storyless project that was pretty light hearted in appearance to something a bit more storydriven and darker. Nintendo's would be Advance Wars Days of Ruin compared to the lighthearted Advance Wars series. Metroid doesn't fit as it was already dark.
I mean Samus has lights on her armor for a reason.

@  Quickster : (05 August 2018 - 07:51 AM)

I never saw that movie (thank goodness). I AM, however, hyped for the upcoming Mario movie.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 August 2018 - 06:38 AM)

Sadly, I think one of the only good things about that movie was Bob Hoskin's portrayal of Mario.

@  Clocktopus : (02 August 2018 - 11:54 AM)

good point

@  LogiTeeka : (01 August 2018 - 10:38 PM)

I'd argue that the SatAM equivalent to Mario was the infamous live-action movie. It's the same general premise, but darker and a generally different interpretation of the source material.

@  Sunnyfruit : (01 August 2018 - 02:20 AM)

Now of course it's entirely different on the other themes.

@  Sunnyfruit : (01 August 2018 - 02:16 AM)

As for a Nintendo equivalent of SatAM, I'd be tempted to say Metroid, since it shares similar themes in its direction: morally gray technology, adventuring in an oppressive techbase, feeling of being alien and outnumbered yet heroic.

Photo

Sonic Idw Facebook Q&a Highlights

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

I don't like the FF redesigns. If they are introduced again, they will likely be redesigned again.

Eh. Each to his own, I guess.

But after all the controversy surrounding the announcement of the redesigns, I think they'll want to stick with what fans are already familiar with. So I kinda doubt they'll be receiving yet another change in appearance.

I mean, Sticks the Badger from "Boom" has recently been confirmed to be salvageable for the comic and that she won't be needing a redesign herself, so the same could apply to the SatAM cast when they return.

#22 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Even if they return to a "SatAM-like" appearance I still imagine Sally will get a bit of change... at least with pants.

Because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#23 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

While their new designs may or may not be used, I do believe they may have some tweeks to their designs.  More like modernization of their original designs.  It's just the nature of comics in general.  

Something more along the lines of changes these:

Original

Later Design

Just like IDW's GIJoe or Transformers.  They'll keep some of the original aspects to help you recognize the characters but they'll sort of reimagine them.  

Plus we'll be honest.  In SatAM Sonic was the character who stood out the most, feeling the most out of place.  If this universe is going to have Forces Styled Civilians, the Freedom Fighters's original appearances will make them feel a bit out of place.  

#24 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:11 AM

Even if they return to a "SatAM-like" appearance I still imagine Sally will get a bit of change... at least with pants.

Because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YmegSjh.jpg

#25 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

I meant their Reboot designs, actually. Quite a number of fans grew to either like or not mind the newer designs; and since the comic is still going for the game esthetic, they most likely would keep the reboot designs.

At least, that's my assumption.

The only way I see the SatAM designs returning is if they have a comic continuation of the show.

#26 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

SatAM aside, the Sonic designs don't make sense to begin with.

Why does Sonic or Rouge have body colors while Blaze or Amy do not? Why do only female characters wear clothing? Why some characters (Tails, Shadow) have colored fur while others do not? Why, again, is Rouge's general morphology so different from other characters? How can you reconcile these already diverging designs with the flat anthro horrors from Sonic Forces? And by the way who thought blob feet were not a stupid concept?

For instance, how SatAM/the comics imply that male clothing is more of a mark of status is interesting but in the end whoever is in charge of the franchise (Iizuka?) just doesn't care about harmonising the franchise and giving it a coherent design ruleset/lore. We end up counting on the comic to make a half-official salvaging that can be erased at any moment by Sega because they feel they are next to a new cash cow.

This is one of the only franchises I care about and I'm a bit of a lore enthousiast so it's kinda hard to me.

#27 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

I also went by the original Archie line's answer.  Sally adopted the vest for the pockets.  Clothing was worn out of either necessity (need for pockets, shoes to protect feet while running) or out of desire for fashion.  Female characters cared more about fashion than males which is why more male characters went without, but Antoine, who appearance was important, would wear his uniform.  

#28 NotSoFast

NotSoFast

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Honestly, the SatAM designs never meshed well with the game designs. I've always hated out of place Sonic and Tails looked next to everyone else in the DiC cartoons. And when DiC started incorporating more and more game characters, the stark contrast between the two styles became quite jarring. That's why I fully welcomed the reboot redesigns.

#29 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:48 AM

Well there was no official guideline in the times of SatAM (that's why I wanted to put it aside) so they went for the generic anthropomorphic guidelines of the times and Ken Penders never cared about coherence in Archie Sonic because he thought HE was the reason behind Sonic's popularity. The reboot was probably seen by everyone in charge as an opportunity to harmonize the whole thing.

But my point is that the game designs don't mesh with the game designs, heads aside.

#30 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:45 AM

I wouldn't even say the game design's mesh with the game designs.  Almost none of the villains look like there are from the same series, you have a disconnect between wearing clothes or not, you have a comparatively gigantic bee, a Indian-inspired cat with fire powers, a "not-clone" of the the main character who rides on light-based-roller skates, an over-sexualized bat, a psychopath that hits things with a toy hammer, etc.  

Nothing matches.

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#31 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Well there was no official guideline in the times of SatAM (that's why I wanted to put it aside) so they went for the generic anthropomorphic guidelines of the times and Ken Penders never cared about coherence in Archie Sonic because he thought HE was the reason behind Sonic's popularity. The reboot was probably seen by everyone in charge as an opportunity to harmonize the whole thing.

But my point is that the game designs don't mesh with the game designs, heads aside.

He still thinks he's the reason behind Sonic's popularity and with him not being on the comic anymore he thinks that's why Sonic's popularity has gone down.

His twitter is a goldmine of cringe and facepalming... assuming you can last that long and avoid his political BS.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#32 NotSoFast

NotSoFast

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't even say the game design's mesh with the game designs.  Almost none of the villains look like there are from the same series, you have a disconnect between wearing clothes or not, you have a comparatively gigantic bee, a Indian-inspired cat with fire powers, a "not-clone" of the the main character who rides on light-based-roller skates, an over-sexualized bat, a psychopath that hits things with a toy hammer, etc.  

Nothing matches.

I'm not seeing where you're coming from to be honest. That's like saying that Antoine doesn't mesh well with the other Freedom Fighters' designs because he's a caricature of a Frenchman and the rest aren't, or that Bunnie's design is out of place because she's half-robot. The game characters may all have different traits and characteristics, but the base design style is consistent. They all wear gloves and shoes, have huge eyes, large extremities, thin limbs and random fur colors. Even the clothes thing is consistent; females wear them and males don't. That's a consistent rule, as weird as it is.

I'll grant you that Rouge's design (which I've never been a fan of) and the villains are less coherent, though. But I'll still put Rouge, with her gloves, big head, huge eyes, and "hair" that matches her fur color above the DiC designs in terms of coherence with the game designs.

#33 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

I think SEGA should allow male characters to wear more clothes or accessories. Which was the case with Forces avatar. Which is... canon? The feral side of the cast seems to be put aside since more than 20 years, even the OVA characters wore some clothing.

Sonic keeps some cool clothes with him after all:

gd8571J.png

You know, the so-called classic Sonic that could TALK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users