Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Shadow : (10 December 2017 - 09:39 PM)

I thought Miyomoto was head of Nintendo.

@  MoKat : (10 December 2017 - 12:55 PM)

Time did an article on Iwata that nicely sums up who he was, Shadow (http://time.com/3954...o-satoru-iwata/)

@  Uncle Ben : (07 December 2017 - 07:12 PM)

Depends, but they can be the same here too

@  furrykef : (07 December 2017 - 02:49 PM)

I don't know about "usually", although this does seem to be the case for Japanese companies. In large American companies, I think it's more likely they're different people.

@  Uncle Ben : (07 December 2017 - 10:10 AM)

President/CEO are usually the same title

@  Uncle Ben : (07 December 2017 - 10:10 AM)

Both

@  Misk : (07 December 2017 - 08:58 AM)

CEO, IIRC.

@  Quickster : (07 December 2017 - 02:21 AM)

Satoru Iwata was, I believe, the previous president of Nintendo.

@  Shadow : (06 December 2017 - 10:06 PM)

Sorry, but who is Iwata?

@  Uncle Ben : (06 December 2017 - 08:40 PM)

He did a small part of the programing from his hospital bed until he couldnt

@  Uncle Ben : (06 December 2017 - 08:39 PM)

He worked on the Switch until the very end

@  Misk : (06 December 2017 - 08:17 PM)

I did believe him when he said he was a gamer at heart. That's a lot more that can be said for a lot of game execs.

@  Misk : (06 December 2017 - 08:15 PM)

I've criticized him a lot, in the past. And I still do stand by them. But it was never anything personal, and though I believe he made some very questionable decisions during his tenure, I don't think I ever doubted that his heart was in the right place.

@  Misk : (06 December 2017 - 08:14 PM)

Wow. I can't believe it's been that long, either.

@  Uncle Ben : (06 December 2017 - 04:55 PM)

55 when he passed.

@  Misk : (06 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

He was that young?

@  Uncle Ben : (06 December 2017 - 01:40 PM)

Today would have been Iwata’s 58th Birthday

@  Uncle Ben : (05 December 2017 - 01:06 PM)

We've tried too with varying degrees of success

@  Uncle Ben : (05 December 2017 - 09:46 AM)

No.

@  Sandata : (05 December 2017 - 03:34 AM)

...Any way to minimize that preview? Sorry

Photo

Sonic Utopia, Excellent 3d Sonic Fangame

Sonic Utopia 3D fangame sage 2016

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted A week ago

So Sage 2016 featured a 3D Sonic fangame called Sonic Utopia, and boy is it impressive... To do it justice, this is some of the better gameplay footage I could find on YouTube, as far as video quality goes.

Not only is it visually stunning, but it seems to pick up on what made the Mega Drive/Genesis games so popular: the physics engine. Everything in the game is momentum-based, and I think that's what we really need in a 3D Sonic game. In my humble opinion, this is how Sonic should have transitioned to 3D.

Also, love that figure eight super peel-out animation in the game, it looks so cool...

Thoughts? :biggrin:

#2 Zane

Zane

Hope your day's been well.

• Fellow FUSer
  • 16,598 posts

Posted 6 days ago

I've known about this for a good while and I'm super impressed with it. I don't have a way to play it so that's disappointing. 

I think the only thing I'm skeptical about is how this kind of "Open World" layout of the levels can work for other types of areas and seem natural. Not so much being straightforward, just with things like terrain and all that. Comparing it to Mario Odyssey, you've got normal platforming in all these different types of small, open world levels. But because Sonic is so speed-focused along with platforming, I just have trouble seeing unique platforming happening in this type of game. But I can totally be proven wrong haha

It's been a while.

#3 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted 6 days ago

I've known about this for a good while and I'm super impressed with it. I don't have a way to play it so that's disappointing. 

I think the only thing I'm skeptical about is how this kind of "Open World" layout of the levels can work for other types of areas and seem natural. Not so much being straightforward, just with things like terrain and all that. Comparing it to Mario Odyssey, you've got normal platforming in all these different types of small, open world levels. But because Sonic is so speed-focused along with platforming, I just have trouble seeing unique platforming happening in this type of game. But I can totally be proven wrong haha

Yeah, I totally get that. I think when one of the game's devs first revealed the trailer on YouTube, he did say something about the actual game having more "linearity" and objectives. I can't see the video I linked right now, but this demo does have two "secret" areas that are more enclosed than the rest of the zone, and they do seem to work well; as in the 2D games, it requires more precision platforming and more accurate timing of jumps. If you get a chance to check it out, you'll see what I mean. :D

Much like yourself, I'd love to see it implemented and done successfully.

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 5 days ago

Not only is it visually stunning, but it seems to pick up on what made the Mega Drive/Genesis games so popular: the physics engine. Everything in the game is momentum-based, and I think that's what we really need in a 3D Sonic game. In my humble opinion, this is how Sonic should have transitioned to 3D.

The "Adventure" games had that style of 3D gameplay. Had most games back then been built with more powerful engines, it probably would've held up a lot more.

#5 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted 5 days ago

The "Adventure" games had that style of 3D gameplay. Had most games back then been built with more powerful engines, it probably would've held up a lot more.

That's somewhat true, but it also started introducing elements that would be abused in later games (things like splines/automated sections). I always felt that these elements robbed the player of control, but I will grant that some things are not easy to implement in 3D games, notably loop-the-loops, without some form of automation, and this is also a bit apparent in Sonic Utopia, as players frequently lose momentum at the top of a loop and fall down. That being said, the developer(s) did say that this will be addressed in later releases.

Linearity is also apparent in the Adventure series, especially the second entry (and I guess mostly any 3D Sonic game); once you've gone through a section of an area, you can't go back to explore for goodies, you just must keep going forward.

It's also apparent that Sonic Team tried to do too many things in it... Sonic's levels, Big's fishing stuff, the treasure hunt stuff... Even in S3&K and Sonic Mania, despite having multiple playable characters, the underlying theme is the same: a fast-paced, momentum-based side-scrolling platformer, and each character's abilities can be used to explore different sections of an act (or the actual act is somewhat modified to suit your chosen character).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users