Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Misk : (20 July 2018 - 02:12 PM)

"Welcome to the first level"

@  Sunnyfruit : (16 July 2018 - 12:10 PM)

Absolute disgrace

@  Sunnyfruit : (16 July 2018 - 12:10 PM)

Sonic ads from before pointed to the next generation, Sonic ads from today are references to two generations before.

@  Sunnyfruit : (15 July 2018 - 09:41 AM)

:D

@  MoKat : (11 July 2018 - 11:18 AM)

I suppose stranger things -have- happened ;D

@  Sunnyfruit : (11 July 2018 - 01:25 AM)

I'm pretty sure Croatia will stomp England today. The final will be tight, anything could happen.

@  Uncle Ben : (10 July 2018 - 07:31 PM)

Now I guess it's Croatia that's the most out there?

@  Uncle Ben : (10 July 2018 - 07:31 PM)

I wanted Switzerland to win cause it would of been the most out there team.

@  Sunnyfruit : (10 July 2018 - 08:09 AM)

So much resentment in the FRA-BEL to come.

@  Uncle Ben : (06 July 2018 - 08:13 PM)

Tarred and Feathered probably

@  Quickster : (06 July 2018 - 11:06 AM)

Last night I also dreamed that Chaos came to the Thorndyke family's dinner.

@  Quickster : (06 July 2018 - 11:05 AM)

Night before last I had a dream that Chris Thorndyke was going to appear in the Sonic comics, and I thought, "I wonder how the Chris haters are going to react?"

@  Shadow : (06 July 2018 - 10:17 AM)

Looks like Robotnik finally won.

@  Sunnyfruit : (05 July 2018 - 11:52 AM)

Just found a dead hedgehog while cleaning my mother's garden. Still can't figure what kind of presage this is

@  Sunnyfruit : (01 July 2018 - 03:22 AM)

Sorry to hear the news.

@  Uncle Ben : (30 June 2018 - 07:09 AM)

My rabbit had to be put down today. She was 12, twice the age she should have been

@  Shadow : (26 June 2018 - 11:12 AM)

Well I didn't need an ambulance, so no charge there.

@  LogiTeeka : (24 June 2018 - 10:34 PM)

I'm hoping the health bill isn't too hefty.

@  LogiTeeka : (24 June 2018 - 10:33 PM)

Sheesh! You're lucky it wasn't worse.

@  Shadow : (23 June 2018 - 11:19 AM)

Just rest, and tylonel. Woke up with a black eye which is new.

Photo

Sonic Forces Story Trailer(with English Subtitles)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

Other than the Infinite theme, this is the only other song I like.  Don't care for the lyrics though.

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#22 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

As for now, I liked every song presented, with the exception of the Metal Sonic dubstep remix that wasn't that bad either.

#23 Zane

Zane

Hope your day's been well.

• Fellow FUSer
  • 16,601 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

So now that Forces is out, the story is all kinds of weird. 

I think it would have been interesting if the clones of Shadow, Metal, Chaos, and Zavok were actually form other dimensions, like Classic Sonic is ("You're that Sonic from another dimension!"). They could have been from dimensions where they win in they're games that they were featured in. The Phantom Ruby is presented like it's all virtual reality that it creates but if that's the case then why is Classic Sonic there from another dimension??? 

It's been a while.

#24 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

Going forward, it would be the best thing to do. You'd please each crowd essentially...

... until the sides fight with each other saying "my sub-series is better"

I agree, but I do think the infighting can be avoided if the two stick to the same core gameplay; for example, Sonic Utopia and Green Hill Paradise - Act 2 are two fangames that are examples of classic Sonic and modern Sonic, respectively, in a 3D environment that emulates the momentum-based core gameplay of the original Genesis/Mega Drive titles (or, equivalently, Sonic Mania, if someone's more familiar with that).

This approach of course will not satisfy those who prefer the boost gameplay of the modern titles.

I think it would have been interesting if the clones of Shadow, Metal, Chaos, and Zavok were actually form other dimensions, like Classic Sonic is ("You're that Sonic from another dimension!"). They could have been from dimensions where they win in they're games that they were featured in. The Phantom Ruby is presented like it's all virtual reality that it creates but if that's the case then why is Classic Sonic there from another dimension??? 

Agreed.

* SPOILERS AHEAD *

I really don't like how they related Forces to Mania; in one of the Forces cutscenes, Tails seems to be explaining to (classic) Sonic how the Phantom Ruby creates hallucinations, whereas Sonic Mania's manual claims that the Phantom Ruby distorts/warps spacetime, which is not the same thing at all. Now, if Tails' explanation in Forces is the actual one, then is all of Mania after the part where Sonic and Tails see the egg robos unearthing the Phantom Ruby all just made up by the gem?

#25 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,367 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

There's quite a few plot holes in Forces. Some are obvious, some aren't.

The game is actually pretty fun though. I enjoyed it more than I did  with Colors and Lost World

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#26 Zane

Zane

Hope your day's been well.

• Fellow FUSer
  • 16,601 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

I honestly still haven't played it yet, I'm waiting until theres a discounted price just because I've got other things to purchase soon lol

It's been a while.

#27 DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek

Starship Captain

• Fellow FUSer
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

I finally played it and finished the story. I had fun. Nothing more, nothing less. smile.png

"You're watching a poster!"

#28 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

I think we can pretty conclusively say that the Freedom Fighters aren't going to appear in the games any time in the next decade. If nobody on the team had enough love for the characters or their fans to sneak a background cameo into a game that already included the assets to do so then that's pretty telling. I mean, how easy would it have been to sneak this:

post-1717-0-31781500-1517164138.png

Into a scene like this (perhaps replacing one of those 5 copies of the same yellow rabbit):

post-1717-0-19873300-1517164140.png

We didn't even get an instance of a resistance member calling them self a Freedom Fighter. Pontac and Graff could've snuck it into the English localization, but we already know they're not fans of Sonic in general (apparently the reason Sonic Colors didn't have Super Sonic in the story is because Pontac didn't know there was such a thing when he wrote it). So unless they show up in the new comics, that's pretty much the end.

Attached Files

#29 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:12 AM

I think we can pretty conclusively say that the Freedom Fighters aren't going to appear in the games any time in the next decade. If nobody on the team had enough love for the characters or their fans to sneak a background cameo into a game that already included the assets to do so then that's pretty telling. I mean, how easy would it have been to sneak this:

post-1717-0-31781500-1517164138.png

Into a scene like this (perhaps replacing one of those 5 copies of the same yellow rabbit):

post-1717-0-19873300-1517164140.png

We didn't even get an instance of a resistance member calling them self a Freedom Fighter. Pontac and Graff could've snuck it into the English localization, but we already know they're not fans of Sonic in general (apparently the reason Sonic Colors didn't have Super Sonic in the story is because Pontac didn't know there was such a thing when he wrote it). So unless they show up in the new comics, that's pretty much the end.

Of course they weren't going to be in it, I mean, they don't even know who they are! I feel I never played it at all and a part of me is still waiting for the release of the promised game. As "okay" as the game still was, it was a nostalgia grab by a bunch of people who don't seem to know anything about Sonic except Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant. The "whole world" was absolutely bland, GHZ is the size of a f*cking continent (which is probably why it's everywhere, durr), there was no real references to the classic places of the universe, no Station Square, no Little Planet, no goddamn Ark, no Soleanna (heh), not even Angel Island which is a crucial location of the universe. The characters' behavior is so inconsistent we don't even feel like they ever experienced the previous adventures, as for the "clones", they were the definitive proof no one knew what a "Chaos", "Metal Sonic", is. Zavok probably had three lines because the team was forced to play Lost World in order to rehash the gameplay engine.

When you're that low, how would you be able to place a Bunnie?

Those who grew up with the show as children are now in their late twenties. They are old enough to learn seriously how to make art and code, mature enough to realize they don't need to make big projects to show their love for something, and should I say, experienced enough to realize that the soul of a work does not lie in the name or appearance of the characters. Freedom Planet made me feel home with the cheesy 90s cartoon tone of the game, and those who made these 90s cheesy cartoon games just took what they loved back then and gave it a new yet faithful form. Maybe it's time to go beyond.

#30 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

I disagree. I didn't watch/play/read Sonic because of the tone or genre, but rather the characters and stories.

Having a "not-Sonic" save the world in a "Sonic-esque" fashion doesn't satisfy me. Don't get me wrong, being similar can help persuade me to try it, but that doesn't fill the void.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd rather have an ok game based off a franchise I love over a good game that imitates it.

If it were soda or ice cream, Wouldn't you rather have the flavor you want over a similar brand? Even if the flavor you crave is not as good, a knock off doesn't remove the craving. You just might now crave both.

#31 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:37 AM

Well there's fan stuff for that, at least Sega allows it to happen unlike a certain other big company. I agree with what you said, but I don't have much hope for the future and I don't want Sally to be the sassy-hipster Graff and Pontac will make her to be. Growing up, I had even more love for the FFs and it doesn't feel right to see them in the comic and thinking either "meh" or "yuck". The Penders age was more than enough and although Flynn is a nice guy, I did not feel engaged by his writing.

On that subject I find kind of ironic that the Sonic X fanbase who was literally trying to kill off everything 90s-related and who threw a fit every time someone said Robotnik instead of Eggman (even though Sonic Adventure 2 happened), is now helpless and desperate before Pontaff Sonic. Everyone had their turn.

#32 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:34 AM

Well there's fan stuff for that, at least Sega allows it to happen unlike a certain other big company. I agree with what you said, but I don't have much hope for the future and I don't want Sally to be the sassy-hipster Graff and Pontac will make her to be. Growing up, I had even more love for the FFs and it doesn't feel right to see them in the comic and thinking either "meh" or "yuck". The Penders age was more than enough and although Flynn is a nice guy, I did not feel engaged by his writing.

On that subject I find kind of ironic that the Sonic X fanbase who was literally trying to kill off everything 90s-related and who threw a fit every time someone said Robotnik instead of Eggman (even though Sonic Adventure 2 happened), is now helpless and desperate before Pontaff Sonic. Everyone had their turn.

Mind you, Sega allows it to happen as far as the Sonic franchise is concerned. They have other franchises where they proved to be not so lenient...

#33 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

I know about Streets of Rage Remake, which doesn't make sense since they don't do anything with it.

#34 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

#BeYourself

• Moderators
  • 13,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

I know about Streets of Rage Remake, which doesn't make sense since they don't do anything with it.

As far as we know.

Which one thing I dont get about Sega is they make so much money from their Pancanko machines they could fund games and even at a loss it wouldnt hurt them much

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#35 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

Having a "not-Sonic" save the world in a "Sonic-esque" fashion doesn't satisfy me. Don't get me wrong, being similar can help persuade me to try it, but that doesn't fill the void.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd rather have an ok game based off a franchise I love over a good game that imitates it.

If it were soda or ice cream, Wouldn't you rather have the flavor you want over a similar brand? Even if the flavor you crave is not as good, a knock off doesn't remove the craving. You just might now crave both.

But then again, the Sonic formula is an imitation of the Mario formula; the only thing that separates it is its emphasis on speed. Wouldn't that just be the same flavor but with extra sprinkles added? It doesn't really change the flavor in any way, it's still the same ice cream as before.

At least Flynn has a better grasp on what makes the series so appealing to the general fanbase. The prequel comics he wrote for "Forces" were much more in line with what fans were expecting from the game, which only made the game all the more disappointing in comparison. You'd have to fail pretty hard for the writer of your promotional material to succeed in telling a more engaging story than the actual product itself.

That's corporate operations for you. Once something is done, everyone moves on to something else. SatAM failed in SEGA's eyes due to the lackluster ratings the show received back in its airtime (which was the result of ABC's sloppy executive decisions), and "Sonic X" failed to find an audience in Japan, resulting in its third season only airing in America and getting scrapped afterward.

But I suppose there's a bright side to all this. Considering the way Sonic himself has been treated by SEGA as of late, perhaps it's a good thing that the casts of SatAM and X never made it into the games.

#36 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

But then again, the Sonic formula is an imitation of the Mario formula; the only thing that separates it is its emphasis on speed. Wouldn't that just be the same flavor but with extra sprinkles added? It doesn't really change the flavor in any way, it's still the same ice cream as before.

It's kinda more like both are chocolate ice cream, but while Mario is chocolate/vanilla and Sonic is Rocky Road.  There both similar, both chocolate, and if that's what you crave you'll be satisfied.  However if you crave one flavor in particular the other isn't quite the same.

Better example:  Playing Yuka-Laylee because you wanna play Banjo-Kazooie just makes you wish there was a new Banjo-Kazooie game.  However if you play it to satisfy your desire to play a Platfromer/Collect-a-thon you'll enjoy the experience a lot more (or it will be Mighty No.9 and taste bad xD )

Playing a game similar to Sonic because I can't get the Sonic game I want just makes me want the Sonic game more.  

#37 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

Playing a game similar to Sonic because I can't get the Sonic game I want just makes me want the Sonic game more.

But if that particular game is unlikely to be released, then what would be the point in waiting for it?

I think spiritual successors that reflect a certain familiar style stand a better chance of satisfying audiences than a newer entry in a series that tends to leave people disappointed.

#38 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,454 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

But if that particular game is unlikely to be released, then what would be the point in waiting for it?

I think spiritual successors that reflect a certain familiar style stand a better chance of satisfying audiences than a newer entry in a series that tends to leave people disappointed.
Fanta orange s outta stock, but Crush isn't. Do you buy Crush or wait for Fanta to come back in or do you buy one of Fanta's other flavors?

SatAM is outta stock. Do you buy one of Sonic's other flavors or do you buy another brand.

There's no wrong answer, but since you're here, I assume neither of the other flavors fully satisfied your crave for SatAM.

Me personally, I like Fanta's flavors more than Crush. I'll buy Pineapple or Strawberry rather than Crush. I'll hope Orange comes back in stock.

I'm not saying you can't like both, I do like Crush, but Fanta is my preferred. I like games that play like Sonic, but I prefer Sonic (okay, I like Mario better) overall. I'll take a game like Lost World or Forces over Freedom Planet easily.

That said, I was introduced to Sonic via the comics, so my nostalgia is the characters not gameplay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users