Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ShenFNWoo : (22 September 2017 - 09:19 PM)

De wa...

@  Uncle Ben : (17 September 2017 - 06:32 PM)

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan passed away.

@  Shadow : (17 September 2017 - 03:41 AM)

I have experienced no problems on my end.

@  Uncle Ben : (16 September 2017 - 05:00 PM)

The test I sent to chief showed up on my end. Now let's see if from his end.

@  Uncle Ben : (16 September 2017 - 04:59 PM)

Hold on, let me test with you chief.

@  chief : (16 September 2017 - 04:56 PM)

Nah..No text there. Can even try highlighting it. Get nothing. Just weird.

@  furrykef : (16 September 2017 - 04:55 PM)

Unless anyone else experiences the same thing, it's probably on his end.

@  Uncle Ben : (16 September 2017 - 04:27 PM)

Could it be a glitch, kef?

@  furrykef : (16 September 2017 - 04:25 PM)

All I can say is I haven't touched anything aside from putting up the logo.

@  Uncle Ben : (16 September 2017 - 04:23 PM)

Check email. If you get an email copy of the PM and the text shows there then it's the issue I had years ago. If not it might be a tech issue.

@  ShenFNWoo : (16 September 2017 - 04:21 PM)

@  Uncle Ben : (16 September 2017 - 04:19 PM)

Chief it might be something to do with text color. A few years ago the text color would match the background.

@  Quickster : (16 September 2017 - 04:14 PM)

No Sonic Boom episode this week due to production issues. :(

@  ShenFNWoo : (16 September 2017 - 03:54 PM)

Okay. Fix one thing somewhere, another thing screws up. The law of equivalent exchange, as seen here on FUS

@  chief : (16 September 2017 - 01:56 PM)

Hey ShenFNWoo....For some reason my PMs are screwed up and are just sending blanks..as you just saw. Which also Gijira would see as well.... Trying to fix that.

@  Shadow : (16 September 2017 - 01:32 PM)

If Sonic would ever be made into a movie it would most likely be under a third party company owned by Disney. They did well with Wreck it Ralph, and companies would trust them with managing videogame characters.

@  Dav246 : (16 September 2017 - 11:54 AM)

It probably wont ever happen, as the Sly Cooper movie that Sony was working on will not happen, but they say it will be coming in 2019. As with Sonic and Sly Cooper alike, if by some miracle it comes out of development hell, it will most likely not be any good. Not to mention they have been practically pissing money into god awful movies.

@  Shadow : (14 September 2017 - 03:00 PM)

Its more of a slot holder. Sony Pictures has been bleeding money these past few years on making terrible movies, so I don't expect them to end up making it.

@  Quickster : (14 September 2017 - 11:31 AM)

Its 2019 release date was known since July. We'll only need to wait 27 more months to see it...

@  Clocktopus : (14 September 2017 - 08:20 AM)

they pushed it back from 2018? Not exactly a good sign...But I doubt most people are expecting it to be good anyway

Photo

The Archie Sonic Reread Topic

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,352 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Best way is to pick up the collections like Sonic Firsts.  'Course again, some of these are downright skip able.  

You mean all of Penders :P

If you're going to skip all of like 50+ issues, you might as well not reread.  

#22 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Lest we forget, Ken Penders was not the only bad writer of the series. It was Karl Bollers who decided Sonic and Sally should break up, make the FF go to school, and push Mina Mongoose into the spotlight. Hell, he even said if he had his way he'd have killed off the entire SatAM crew along with Knothole and dump the official cast into Station Square with amnesia as a reboot to tie into Sonic X.

#23 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas, The Whole Shebang

• Moderators
  • 13,169 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Best way is to pick up the collections like Sonic Firsts.  'Course again, some of these are downright skip able.  

You mean all of Penders :P

If you're going to skip all of like 50+ issues, you might as well not reread.  

I was joking. Admittedly Penders did have some good issues here and there. Same as Bollers.

Lest we forget, Ken Penders was not the only bad writer of the series. It was Karl Bollers who decided Sonic and Sally should break up, make the FF go to school, and push Mina Mongoose into the spotlight. Hell, he even said if he had his way he'd have killed off the entire SatAM crew along with Knothole and dump the official cast into Station Square with amnesia as a reboot to tie into Sonic X.

I knew about the first 3 parts of Bollers plan, but never about killing off the SatAM crew.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he once put Helen Mirren in a dishwasher, and that at the Winter Olympics he was disqualified from the skeleton event for riding down the hill on an actual skeleton. All we know is he’s called the Stig!”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#24 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 45 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think I'm going to be sick....

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#25 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Issue 10.
The Freedom Fighters meet the Nerbs.
It's a bad story.
Also the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles make a cameo.
2e9rTiv.png

Back-Up story.
The Freedom Fighters are riding in Antoine's hot air ballon looking for a picnic spot. They are attacked by Dr Robotnik's Buzzbombers who pop Antoine's balloon.
The other Freedom Fighters tell Antione that his hot air balloon is too outdated to be of any help to the Freedom Fighters in their war against Robotnik.
AE9edcD.png
This makes Antoine sad.
The Buzzbombers return to Robotropolis to tell Robotnik about their attack on the Freedom Fighters. Robotnik wants to know what the Freedom Fighters are up to, and Snively says that they are probably looking for a place to hold their annual picnic.
Tails and Antoine talk about the balloon crashing, and Antoine decides to try again, and show the other Freedom Fighters that his balloon is not useless.
The Freedom Fighters are attacked by Robotnik and his Badniks, and Antoine saves the day.

Wow!!!!!!
This story is kind of good. It's still goofy, but the characters personality's stand out way more in this story.

Also Robotnik's lair now looks different. It's not an office in this story. His lair now looks like it's Satam counterpart.
s5DZt4a.png

Source for this? This is the first time I've heard of this.

#26 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I believe the "source" as I recall originally came from Penders mouth who said he clashed with Bollers a lot over ideas he had of downplaying the SatAM crew because he absolutely despised them and felt they were weighing the comic down. But since its Penders who can tell when he's being truthful.

#27 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I believe the "source" as I recall originally came from Penders mouth who said he clashed with Bollers a lot over ideas he had of downplaying the SatAM crew because he absolutely despised them and felt they were weighing the comic down. But since its Penders who can tell when he's being truthful.

According to Bollers though, he made it sound like it was SEGA pressuring him to make the comic closer to their intended direction. I honestly don't know who to believe in this case though since Penders does have a tendency to stretch the truth (this is the same guy who wanted to kill Sally off because he thought she was useless) and SEGA does have the habit of demanding some pretty stupid things.

#28 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas, The Whole Shebang

• Moderators
  • 13,169 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

According to Bollers though, he made it sound like it was SEGA pressuring him to make the comic closer to their intended direction. I honestly don't know who to believe in this case though since Penders does have a tendency to stretch the truth (this is the same guy who wanted to kill Sally off because he thought she was useless) and SEGA does have the habit of demanding some pretty stupid things.

Well here's some of Karl's plans (on the bottom)

Bollers doesnt like talking about his time at Archie. Though he's at Marvel now so I dont blame him.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he once put Helen Mirren in a dishwasher, and that at the Winter Olympics he was disqualified from the skeleton event for riding down the hill on an actual skeleton. All we know is he’s called the Stig!”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#29 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Issue 11.
He's finally here. Issue 11 is the first Archie Sonic book to have stories written by Ken Penders.

Issue 11 is really not that different than past stories. It's still pretty silly compared to Penders later work.
Co-writing alongside Penders is Mike Kanterovich.
Originally Archie was worried that Michael Gallagher had plans to leave the book so Archie wanted another writer so they could have back-up stories on hand.
Mike Kanterovich didn't know anything about Sonic the Hedgehog, but he was friends with Ken Penders, and he knew that Penders had a young son who was a big sonic fan.

Main Story: "The Good, the Bad, and the Hedgehog" written by Mike Kanterovich and Ken Penders

The Freedom Fighters find one of Dr. Robotnik's factories polluting the river. Sally calls Sonic using a wrist watch. Sonic is far away so he decides to take a shortcut by using the Cosmic Interstate, but ends up taking a wrong turn and ends up in the Anti-Mobius world.

It's Penders first story and already we have the multiverse in the Sonic comics.

Sonic meets that worlds version of Robotnik who is a kind Veteranarian.
Anti-Robotnik orders his patients to catch Sonic. Sonic escapes and bumps headfirst into Anti-Sonic.
Anti-Sonic than destroyes the whole pacing of this story to explain the different worlds.

t9Sp4QI.png
Sonic tricks Anti-Sonic into following him to Anti Robotnik's clinic where Anti-Sonic gets captured. Sonic than explans everything to Anti-Robotnik.
Sonic returns to Mobius, and uses a device that Anti-Robotnik give him to suck up the sludge from Robotnik's factory.

Fun fact: Originally Evil Sonic was going to be Dr. Sonic and be the Anti world's version of Robotnik, but Sega made Penders and Kanterovich change it. Personally I think that Sega made the right call here.
Also this is the only story where Anti-Robotnik is as fat as Robotnik Prime. In every other story that he appears in he will be shown to be thin.

tpDcOWJ.png

Back-Up story:  "Beat The Clock" written by Mike Kanterovich and Ken Penders

Coconuts kidnaps the Freedom Fights to use as bait for Sonic. He wants to make Robotnik's "Top 10 Badniks" list. Sonic saves the day. All in all boring story.

Fun fact: Originally it was Crabmeat, but Sega told Penders and Kanterovich to change it to Coconuts to tie-in with the AOSTH cartoon.

Second Back-Up story: "Food for Thought" or "You Are What You Eat" written by Mike Kanterovich and Ken Penders

It's Sonic's birthday and he has a bad acid Chili Dog trip.
It's bad.
6iq1jNH.png

#30 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I believe it was also Karl Bollers idea to remove Snively from the story to supposedly die off screen from the Xorda invasion and have A.D.A.M. replace him as the new crony. Although, one character he made I liked that I wish got a chance to stick around was M, Eggman's "daughter". She did make for an interesting bodyguard for Eggman to keep around when he had no Metal Sonic on hand.

tumblr_inline_mnk1boUyVW1qz4rgp.png

#31 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 45 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I kinda liked A.D.A.M.  Not much payoff with him though.  Maybe it's just because I hate how Robotnik always has 2 silly sidekicks and A.D.A.M. seemed like a threat to everyone.    

I believe it was also Karl Bollers idea to remove Snively from the story to supposedly die off screen from the Xorda invasion and have A.D.A.M. replace him as the new crony. Although, one character he made I liked that I wish got a chance to stick around was M, Eggman's "daughter". She did make for an interesting bodyguard for Eggman to keep around when he had no Metal Sonic on hand.

You liked M? I really disliked her.  Her design doesn't really fit with anything and she had no personality.  Reminds me of a gender-bent Terminator knock-off. I did kinda like when she was thrown in the ocean (IIRC) and came back all robotic and creepy with a vendetta.

And Our Destroyer.

#32 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

You liked M? I really disliked her.  Her design doesn't really fit with anything and she had no personality.  Reminds me of a gender-bent Terminator knock-off. I did kinda like when she was thrown in the ocean (IIRC) and came back all robotic and creepy with a vendetta.

I'm kinda in the same boat. But at the same time, she did provide Robotnik/Eggman a personal side that we've never got to see again in the comics (or other Sonic media for that matter). His distraught over losing her seemed to imply that he wanted to have children, which was an interesting angle while it lasted.

#33 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 45 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I never read where she appeared, so I only saw the later parts.  I dunno.  The "father-figure" thing didn't really work out with his Nephew, and it seemed out of place in comparison.

And Our Destroyer.

#34 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I dunno.  The "father-figure" thing didn't really work out with his Nephew, and it seemed out of place in comparison.

It's likely because he wasn't his creation.

#35 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Issue 12

A Timely Arrival written by Michael Gallagher
Dr. Robotnik decides to get rid of Sonic by using a time machine.
Sonic ends up in prehistoric Mobius and meets his ancestor Sonugh the Boghog, and his friends who are basically just cavemen versions of the freedom fighters.
They are living in fear of the evil caveman Ivo Robughnik, and are planning on going underground to hide from him.
NGAU5Ig.png
 This causes Sonic to worry that he'll evolve into "Sonic the Mole" instred of a hedgehog.
J0WJ8rS.png
Meanwhile on Mobius Prime the freedom fighters steal Robotnik's time machine in the hope that they can bring back Sonic.
Back in prehistoric Mobius, Sonic teaches the freedom fighters ancestor's how to plant hedges so that they can use them as hiding places, and Sonic gets sent back to his own time.
aGsgiYE.png
Another boring story. Plus this story is basically non-canon due to the fact that we later learn that Mobius is a post apocalyptic Earth.

Bold-Headed Eagle written by Angelo DeCesare
Sonic falls off a cliff and meets an eagle named Cyril. Cyril's people were roboticized by Robotnik, and Cyril has survived by hiding, and believes that he's the last remaining member of his flock.. Sonic encourages Cyril to try flying again. Cyril lands on a branch that was under his nest and finds more birds from his flock that were basically under his nose the whole time(dumb written). Robotnik and Snively arrive in their rambot. The rambot knocks Sonic off the cliff, and Sonic is saved by Cyril.
Another boring story.

The Lynx is a Jinx! written by Angelo DeCesare
Sonic meets Larry Lynx who has bad luck, and brings bad luck to the people that he meets. Robotnik captures the freedom fighters, but in the end Larry's bad luck saves the day.
iGsdNmz.png
LFwKb39.png
Kind of boring, but this is the best of the three stories that's in this issue.

#36 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 45 posts

Posted A week ago

Jeez, Larry looks a LOT better in the later parts of the series

And Our Destroyer.

#37 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,080 posts

Posted A week ago

To be fair, that's probably how he would've appeared had he been featured in SatAM.

I really do feel sorry for Art Mawhinney. His softer style for the show just couldn't translate well to the modern style.

#38 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 45 posts

Posted A week ago

To be fair, that's probably how he would've appeared had he been featured in SatAM.

I really do feel sorry for Art Mawhinney. His softer style for the show just couldn't translate well to the modern style.

Sure, but with the exception of Bunny, Sally, and Sonic, I didn't actually like most of the FF designs.  Antoinne looks very out of place.  Rotor's 2nd design was great, then in S2 they utterly ruined it.  Any other character that was introduced was usually just very generically drawn.  Tails was fine, except for that weird (if not creative) choice to animate the way he would "rev up" by twisting his tails around each other.  Just sort of always looked like it would be impossible (yeah, yeah, I know).  

As for Bunny, she was pretty damned iconic with the floppy ears, and the synthetic parts.  Sally just looked like she fit well, with each element of her design working. They didn't really do anything with Sonic, so, meh?

And Our Destroyer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users