Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Uncle Ben : (22 October 2017 - 04:42 PM)

a dartboard?

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 04:32 PM)

Yeah, uh where did the name Ashura actually come from?

@  GamemasterAn... : (22 October 2017 - 12:42 PM)

Plus they missed a golden opportunity with him. After all there was this certain glitch that appeared in the games, so they could've called him...oh, I don't know...ASHURA?!?

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM)

It kinda backfired.

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:03 PM)

That was what they attempted to do with Scourge, make him more Reverse-Sonic instead of Anti-Sonic.

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:03 PM)

It's still the same concept. It's the hero character, only evil. An Anti-Version. And if done right it can be interesting.

@  Shadow : (22 October 2017 - 11:39 AM)

Well in the case of Reverse Flash it was less the case of an evil version of him and more of a twisted fanboy from the future who wanted to become him.

@  RedAuthar : (21 October 2017 - 10:28 PM)

I always blamed DC Comics and Flash.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2017 - 07:50 PM)

Point there.

@  Shadow : (21 October 2017 - 05:08 PM)

The doppelganger really is a played out idea that Ken Penders ripped off from Star Trek TOS, with the whole mirror universe.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2017 - 06:12 AM)

I like the concept of the "Anti doppelganger" but I kinda doubt they would bring back the concept in IDW.

@  Ryuji : (20 October 2017 - 06:03 PM)

I just want my Scourge xP

@  Uncle Ben : (20 October 2017 - 03:01 PM)

I would like to see someone try to do something with her. I think there's potential that never got used.

@  Shadow : (20 October 2017 - 02:13 PM)

Well I'm fine with her not returning. Nothing exactly anything noteworthy done to miss her.

@  Sandata : (18 October 2017 - 02:15 PM)

Nice One Ben

@  Quickster : (18 October 2017 - 08:52 AM)

Or maybe they should have officially announced her retirement within the comic. :P

@  RedAuthar : (17 October 2017 - 10:02 PM)

Or maybe, just maybe, It's Maybelline

@  Uncle Ben : (17 October 2017 - 06:52 PM)

Or maybe they could have gone to the Winchester, grabbed a pint, and waited for all this to blow over. :P

@  RedAuthar : (17 October 2017 - 05:52 PM)

Or they should have left the robot version and never touched the real one.

@  Shadow : (17 October 2017 - 05:52 PM)

you mean like with the whole Brotherhood, or the the off panel exile of all the echidnas by Thrash?

Photo

Mecha-sally

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Also remember the Weaponization was originally intended to explain her redesign later.  

How's that?

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#22 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

How's that?

Part of the reason for Sally's roboticization was to find a convenient way to update her design to her reboot appearance. But when the reboot itself happened, that idea never came to pass - she just always had it for convenience sake.

This isn't the only time in the comics a convoluted contrivance was used to explain why a character looked different. Sonic went through one to explain his transition from SatAM Sonic to his modern look while Amy got probably one of the worst treatments.

#23 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

I'm a bit confused.  So, she was supposed to get an update, and then didn't, then they rebooted it, and she did? I remember Sonic's transition, and that was REALLY lame.  Robotnik's was also a bit silly (as described to me, anyway).

And Our Destroyer.

#24 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,367 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm a bit confused.  So, she was supposed to get an update, and then didn't, then they rebooted it, and she did?

All the redesigns for the characters in the reboot were originally going to be redesigns before the reboot.  How Sally would get hers was her derobotization.  Bunnies was in progress but we didn't get to find out.  Antoine was completely bandaged up so....maybe?

Long story short, the Freedom Fighters were going to get updated to match the more SEGA style the other characters have, and each one was going to get a reason behind it.  But then the reboot happened and in the new universe, they just always looked that way.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#25 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:59 AM

Here's what Ian said about the memory thing.

And I sympathize with that whole-heartedly - believe me. But this is how it has to be.

Case in point: all of Sally's growth revolving around her dealing (or not dealing) with her father, with regaining her mother, discovering she had a brother and all that those plotlines entailed. I am now in a position where I can't reference:
- Alicia
- Elias
- anything Max did during his reign

That's not just something to can write around. Folks are getting riled that I'm using general nouns for the planet instead of saying "Mobius." Imagine how hollow it would sound if Sally were fighting for the "loved ones she's lost." Which loved ones? Can't say. How were the lost? Can't say. How were they important to her? Can't say. And it's not something you can lampshade, because losing most of her family is going to affect her as a character.

Maybe some folks would've been alright with dancing around the issue in vague terms. Maybe they'd be okay with Sonic moving on from his erased parents, or Knuckles just rolling with the genocide of his people (neither of which could be specifically referenced or talked about). But not me. I think that's a disservice to the story, to the characters, and to the fans. I'm not going to lie to you for years with a false promise of a return to the old canon. I was told to make them remember during "Countdown to Chaos," and now I'm making it clear the new status quo is sticking so you all aren't left wondering.

I have no doubt folks will be saying "they should've done it this way!" from now until the end of time. And I completely understand them being disappointed and a bit hurt that we had to change things so abruptly. But please believe me when I say there were many, many long, heated discussions on how to best proceed. This was not something we did lightly, and a lot of thought and effort has been put into this.

It's not the ArchieSonic of old - but I hope the veteran fans can still feel a little comfortable with the SatAM crew still together, still doing the Freedom Fighter thing.

Source: http://www.bumblekin...=7376&start=255

#26 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas, The Whole Shebang

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yeah but it's what happened afterwards with the characters a lot of people became upset.

I felt bad for Ian as he did everything he could to continue on with the comic and keep some of the old stuff in, but he was definitely handcuffed.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he once put Helen Mirren in a dishwasher, and that at the Winter Olympics he was disqualified from the skeleton event for riding down the hill on an actual skeleton. All we know is he’s called the Stig!”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#27 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

was it bad or was it just hamstrung from the limitations?

And Our Destroyer.

#28 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

was it bad or was it just hamstrung from the limitations?

Personally, I think it's both.

It was bad because Ian is an okay writer at best and his ideas can be good but arent executed right but the limitations set by the Penders lawsuit didnt help him either.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he once put Helen Mirren in a dishwasher, and that at the Winter Olympics he was disqualified from the skeleton event for riding down the hill on an actual skeleton. All we know is he’s called the Stig!”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#29 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

I always found it frustrating how SatAM Robotnik had to be retconned out of existance. He could have easilly existed as a parallel universe Eggman such as Nega, but SEGA's hardcore prejudice towards american creations made his brief time in the comics a void of history. Then theirs the further complications of Penders writing some of Robotnik's backstory which he swiped the ideas from Ben Hurst further complicating matters. The team up they had in issue 108 was disgraceful, and was a missed opportunity for what could have been a really fun collaboration of the two, much how Eggman and Dr Wily got along well.

#30 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

I always found it frustrating how SatAM Robotnik had to be retconned out of existance. He could have easilly existed as a parallel universe Eggman such as Nega, but SEGA's hardcore prejudice towards american creations made his brief time in the comics a void of history. Then theirs the further complications of Penders writing some of Robotnik's backstory which he swiped the ideas from Ben Hurst further complicating matters. The team up they had in issue 108 was disgraceful, and was a missed opportunity for what could have been a really fun collaboration of the two, much how Eggman and Dr Wily got along well.

Given that the team at Archie thought the series was going to get dropped once it had reached #50 (which was standard practice at the time), Penders was told to wrap up the series however he could. His original plans were to kill Sally off as well as Robotnik, but when SEGA renewed their license he had to haphazardly bring those characters back - Sally was revealed to be in a coma all along while Robotnik was promised to return in the next milestone issue.

Oddly enough, Julian's return in #108 wasn't going to be his final appearance. Originally, the mysterious "Anonymous" character was planned to be the SatAM Robotnik having returned to take back his throne from Eggman. But when Ian Flynn was brought aboard, he couldn't use that idea since it belonged to another writer, so he revealed "Anonymous" to be A.D.A.M. instead.

#31 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

"he couldn't use that idea since it belonged to another writer"

The comics industry is so dumb at times.

#32 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

I wouldnt say dumb, just convoluted

#33 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

I thought the excuse was that the readers would be too ignorant to know why their is two Robotniks existing at the same time.

#34 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

And it's probably true they were. No doubt most of the comics' audience by that point was kids who weren't around for the comics with the original Robotnik.

#35 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

It's plausible.

It would have been, what, a four-five year span between the two if they went as planned? (From #50 to #108)

#36 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 266 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah.  The problem literally just "goes away."  Sorry.   xD

From what I heard, Neon Genesis Evangelion had an anticlimactic ending that could be compared to the Mecha Sally Arc.

#37 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

And it's probably true they were. No doubt most of the comics' audience by that point was kids who weren't around for the comics with the original Robotnik.

Yet nobody gets tripped up over Eggman Nega.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users