Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Uncle Ben : (22 October 2017 - 04:42 PM)

a dartboard?

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 04:32 PM)

Yeah, uh where did the name Ashura actually come from?

@  GamemasterAn... : (22 October 2017 - 12:42 PM)

Plus they missed a golden opportunity with him. After all there was this certain glitch that appeared in the games, so they could've called him...oh, I don't know...ASHURA?!?

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM)

It kinda backfired.

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:03 PM)

That was what they attempted to do with Scourge, make him more Reverse-Sonic instead of Anti-Sonic.

@  RedAuthar : (22 October 2017 - 12:03 PM)

It's still the same concept. It's the hero character, only evil. An Anti-Version. And if done right it can be interesting.

@  Shadow : (22 October 2017 - 11:39 AM)

Well in the case of Reverse Flash it was less the case of an evil version of him and more of a twisted fanboy from the future who wanted to become him.

@  RedAuthar : (21 October 2017 - 10:28 PM)

I always blamed DC Comics and Flash.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2017 - 07:50 PM)

Point there.

@  Shadow : (21 October 2017 - 05:08 PM)

The doppelganger really is a played out idea that Ken Penders ripped off from Star Trek TOS, with the whole mirror universe.

@  Uncle Ben : (21 October 2017 - 06:12 AM)

I like the concept of the "Anti doppelganger" but I kinda doubt they would bring back the concept in IDW.

@  Ryuji : (20 October 2017 - 06:03 PM)

I just want my Scourge xP

@  Uncle Ben : (20 October 2017 - 03:01 PM)

I would like to see someone try to do something with her. I think there's potential that never got used.

@  Shadow : (20 October 2017 - 02:13 PM)

Well I'm fine with her not returning. Nothing exactly anything noteworthy done to miss her.

@  Sandata : (18 October 2017 - 02:15 PM)

Nice One Ben

@  Quickster : (18 October 2017 - 08:52 AM)

Or maybe they should have officially announced her retirement within the comic. :P

@  RedAuthar : (17 October 2017 - 10:02 PM)

Or maybe, just maybe, It's Maybelline

@  Uncle Ben : (17 October 2017 - 06:52 PM)

Or maybe they could have gone to the Winchester, grabbed a pint, and waited for all this to blow over. :P

@  RedAuthar : (17 October 2017 - 05:52 PM)

Or they should have left the robot version and never touched the real one.

@  Shadow : (17 October 2017 - 05:52 PM)

you mean like with the whole Brotherhood, or the the off panel exile of all the echidnas by Thrash?

Photo

Sonic Writers Topic

Ken Penders Archie Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

There's been 0 world building in the reboot. There's been little explanations of things and everything just gets dropped on us and the explanation is usually (and I'm going the cinema sins route on this) "Because.... reasons"

The same can be said for the old continuity and even SatAM itself. The series dumps you in the middle of the conflict without any given explanation until much later; and even then, it still doesn't address everything. Robotnik took control of Mobotropolis because... reasons; he wants to roboticize everyone because... reasons, yet he banished the king because... reasons, and is fighting a blue hedgehog that runs super fast because... reasons.

The comics and show started out the same way and, as time passed, everyone became familiar and grew attached to it. But now since that's all out the window, they have to do it all over again. And so far, they've introduced a whole lot of new material to work with. There hasn't been much development because they're not done introducing everything yet.

#162 coolbreeze88

coolbreeze88

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Speaking of Penders.. Besides those on his own site has anyone jumped in to support him? Basically every community out there is against him. At least from what I've seen.

Also because I really know nothing about the comics, how long has he been away from writing for Archie for?

wait...he has his own webisite. link me it so I can troll the hell out of him.

#163 Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas, The Whole Shebang

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

wait...he has his own webisite. link me it so I can troll the hell out of him.

No.

We do not endorse trolling of anyone.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he once put Helen Mirren in a dishwasher, and that at the Winter Olympics he was disqualified from the skeleton event for riding down the hill on an actual skeleton. All we know is he’s called the Stig!”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

#164 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

We don't want you going down to his level.

#165 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Please don't make it worse by becoming a troll.  We can't change Penders' decision, and trolling him is acting rude and immature.  Whatever the reasons he had for doing what he did he chose them and he will face the consequences for those choices later on.  Our role, though, is to still treat him as another human being whether we agree with his actions or hate him for the changes he made with the franchise.  Let's not create more trouble as there is enough out there, mate.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery_51493_212_294091.png

#166 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Please don't make it worse by becoming a troll. We can't change Penders' decision, and trolling him is acting rude and immature. Whatever the reasons he had for doing what he did he chose them and he will face the consequences for those choices later on. Our role, though, is to still treat him as another human being whether we agree with his actions or hate him for the changes he made with the franchise. Let's not create more trouble as there is enough out there, mate.

Ditto.

#167 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

I should chime in on some frustrations I have over how lackluster the character Naugus is written in this comic. It seems no writer ever really knows what to do with him. He constantly gets shit on, and seems to always get beaten by some dues ex machina at the last moment in a usual anti climatic note. We had him and his sister take over Eggman's headquarters where Eggman had to assemble his dirty dozen team to reclaim it. A set up for a fun story, but when it came time to deal with Naugus I think Ian just went "fuck it" and made Eggman pull out a magic power armor that is conveniently magic-proof, that has never been mentioned or shown before- and will not use again, too. All that build up of him just for that?

Then we get a second story where he has a chance to redeem himself by hijacking the master emerald. Another good set up here. With Knuckles and Team Dark their could be an interesting set up of them learning to trust eachother, and to find some kind of flaw in his magic to exploit or outsmart him. Nah, he just decides to step off the emerald like a dumbass and go take a nap because the plot said so. This leads to an embarrassing gang beating and him thrown in prison.

Why even write stories about him when he's treated like such a joke. I know the heroes have to win but you don't need to abuse him like this.

#168 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

Eh. Honestly, I never found Naugus to be all that interesting to begin with. Even with Ben Hurst's notes for the cancelled 3rd season, I still found him to be a pretty bare-bones villain.

The only time I thought he was remotely interesting was during the Mecha Sally arc, with him influencing the citizens' emotions and claiming the throne to Mobotropolis, for it made him slightly intimidating and, on some occasions, legitimately scary (his Ghibli-esque mutations were pretty grotesque). But despite that, he was still pretty hammy and we all knew that he was gonna loose in the end anyhow. He's definitely unique, but unlike Eggman - who is a staple of the franchise - Naugus is pretty minor in comparison.

#169 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:40 PM

He might be bare bones, but in SatAM and much of the original timeline of Archie he was treated as a serious threat. Even before Ian Flynn took over he was handled poorly with him being banished for over a hundred issues after having midget bill cosby somehow zap him back into the void, which was thankfully redone in a better story of Sonic having to struggle to overcome and drive him back. The sorcerer element makes him unique in a world dominated mostly by Eggman's technology, so he should be treated like a fierce rival to Eggman, and someone who can potentially overtake him if not for Sonic. Let us not forget the time when Ian thought turning Naugus into a mindless vegetable, and Mammoth Mogul's deranged pet would be good for the story.

It's frustrating that everytime he is developed to do something interesting its immediately thrown out. Why not have him retreat to fight another day, or to cut his losses when faced with defeat? Hell, I think even Snively has gotten better character treatment than Naugus in the series,

Rather than be a punching bag for all the heroes, I would develop him as an independent faction against Eggman and Mobotropolis. Develop his powers to be reliant on rings and emeralds, and have him build a crystal palace filled with crystallized mobians. An inversion to Robotropolis, if you will.

#170 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

The sorcerer element makes him unique in a world dominated mostly by Eggman's technology, so he should be treated like a fierce rival to Eggman, and someone who can potentially overtake him if not for Sonic. Let us not forget the time when Ian thought turning Naugus into a mindless vegetable, and Mammoth Mogul's deranged pet would be good for the story.

Considering Mogul was once the prime villain when it came to sorcerery, Naugus didn't seem all that necessary back then. It wasn't until Mogul's "retirement" that Naugus started to play a larger role.

It's frustrating that everytime he is developed to do something interesting its immediately thrown out. Why not have him retreat to fight another day, or to cut his losses when faced with defeat? Hell, I think even Snively has gotten better character treatment than Naugus in the series,

Isn't that what he does? He retreated back in the beginning of the reboot and he retreated again when Eggman beat him, shortly followed by the betrayal/disowning of his sister.

Snively has always been a far better character, even way back in SatAM. His narcassistic, morally-grey, anti-hero/villain charm and background is what makes him so compelling. He's not sympathetic (most of the time), but you can understand where his personality comes from. Eggman and Naugus are meant to be your standard villains.

Rather than be a punching bag for all the heroes, I would develop him as an independent faction against Eggman and Mobotropolis. Develop his powers to be reliant on rings and emeralds, and have him build a crystal palace filled with crystallized mobians. An inversion to Robotropolis, if you will.

Not a bad idea. Though when it comes to making those sorts of villains, it's best not to make them seem too pretentious. That's one of the problems I had with the SatAM Robotnik. The show tried way too hard to make him seem like an interesting character, when in actuality, he was a pretty generic villain.

#171 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

Well, the way the comic has been restructured its become the Eggman show, since Naugus seems to be the only independent villain who is not currently under his thumb. Everyone else has debts to pay, or are doing it for the greater good of their people. Naugus could really mess with Eggman with causing dissent in his ranks, mind control, and generally disturb his plan. I think one story that has yet to be done which would be interesting would be for Naugus to take over the Death Egg and turn it into the Crystal Egg(a callback to a game gear level), with Eggman and Sonic having to have another one of their team ups to destroy it. Eggman would keep the Death Egg which is now crashed somewhere and would be temporarily out of service, leading into another story arc of it being rebuilt and emerald hunting like in the genesis games.

#172 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

Well, the way the comic has been restructured its become the Eggman show, since Naugus seems to be the only independent villain who is not currently under his thumb. Everyone else has debts to pay, or are doing it for the greater good of their people.

I'm not so sure about that. Snively is still a potential threat (considering his plans for "Operation: Conquest") and Eclipse the Darkling is on the loose as well. And in terms of anti-villains, there's Breezie the medial mogul and the City Counsel from Silver's future. Still no word on Dr. Nega, though.

Plus, some of the Egg Bosses are legitimately evil. Akhlut, Thunderbolt and Maw are the most sadistic of the bunch.

#173 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 266 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Honesty, what was Flynn trying to do with the King Naugus/Mecha Sally arc? Outdo X-Men's Dark Phoenix saga? Lot of good that did. And that cosmic reset button. I can just hear Sonic ranting about that.

Sonic: Uh, is this how you end a comic book arc? Is this where we go from here? Okay, Lost Hedgehog Tales better fix this, I'm telling ya right now, 'cause I'm stuck in nowhere land! SEGA told you to do this, didn't they?

(Paraphrasing a rant from Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion, one of the most incredibly infamous anime in animation history. All that was missing was Sonic being surrounded by his friends who congratulate him. Or, everyone turning into LCL)

Note: This was originally on Archie Reread, but I've posted it here, since it's more appropriate.

#174 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,367 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well to sorta answer your question, Flynn was trying to make Naugus a threat again.  Ever since he teamed up with Mongul, he was literally a drooling lackey.  This also allows Max to stop changing from Good King to Bad King and back again every two to three issues.  

And for the Mecha Sally Arc, honestly what's wrong with it (other than going on WAY to long)?  At that point in the story, the Freedom Fighters had become essentially so Powerful, so good at their jobs, there was no threat to their lives.  There's a reason people call Sally a Mary-Sue: anytime she shows a moment of weakness or gets hurt, fans throw tantrums about it "not being in character" or "stupid idea."  So writers tend not to endanger her or the other Freedom Fighters, because they don't want to deal with the backlash.  

But honestly every comic book does this with its characters.  Wolverine is STILL dead.  Spider-Man got replaced by freaking Doc Ock as the main character for a while, after having Kraven the Hunter do it years ago, and don't get me started on the Clone Saga.  Battle for the Cowl was Batman's turn.  Heck Star Wars novels killed Chewbacca off years ago, before they rebooted the universe.  

There is a point in comics when your star characters start to feel stale as nothing seems to hinder them.  I'm not saying the solution is good, or even works all the time, but personally, I'd rather see Sally make mistakes, get injured, or cause these issues, than become stale and boring.  

#175 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 266 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Well to sorta answer your question, Flynn was trying to make Naugus a threat again.  Ever since he teamed up with Mongul, he was literally a drooling lackey.  This also allows Max to stop changing from Good King to Bad King and back again every two to three issues.  

And for the Mecha Sally Arc, honestly what's wrong with it (other than going on WAY to long)?  At that point in the story, the Freedom Fighters had become essentially so Powerful, so good at their jobs, there was no threat to their lives.  There's a reason people call Sally a Mary-Sue: anytime she shows a moment of weakness or gets hurt, fans throw tantrums about it "not being in character" or "stupid idea."  So writers tend not to endanger her or the other Freedom Fighters, because they don't want to deal with the backlash.  

But honestly every comic book does this with its characters.  Wolverine is STILL dead.  Spider-Man got replaced by freaking Doc Ock as the main character for a while, after having Kraven the Hunter do it years ago, and don't get me started on the Clone Saga.  Battle for the Cowl was Batman's turn.  Heck Star Wars novels killed Chewbacca off years ago, before they rebooted the universe.  

There is a point in comics when your star characters start to feel stale as nothing seems to hinder them.  I'm not saying the solution is good, or even works all the time, but personally, I'd rather see Sally make mistakes, get injured, or cause these issues, than become stale and boring.  

To answer your question about the king naugus/mecha sally arc? It had no proper conclusion due to legal issues.

#176 DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek

Starship Captain

• Fellow FUSer
  • 144 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sonic NYCC 2017 IDW Event: Ian Flynn Confirmed Head Writer Of IDW Comics :)

"You're watching a poster!"

#177 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 46 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

That's the best IDW Sonic news we've heard so far.

Sayonara, Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics... Hello, IDW Sonic comics!

Only two more years until the Sonic movie... Two! That's like a sixth of a dozen, man!

It's high time I got an avatar...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users