Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

Photo

Archie Files Federal Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 saber16

saber16

Sea3on Artist

• Sea3on Artist
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

Frankly, I think Ken should have just left it be. He may have created characters such as Locke, Julie-Su, Geoffrey St. John and the like, but they are still rooted in the Sonic franchise. Without Sega or Archie, he would never have created them.

... Actually, I thought it was pretty ballsy to claim Rob O' the Hedge as his own original character... IT'S SONIC IN A DAMN HOOD WITH A BOW AND ARROW! He's Amy's cousin and leader of his own set of Freedom Fighters... If this wasn't part of the Archie series, I would assume it was some kid's fan fiction staring their very own "Sonic the Robin Hood!".

As for how it affects the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG titles published by Archie Comics, while it does not prevent them from publishing the SONIC series, they are not allowed to use any of my characters, concepts or stories without further discussion with my representatives. For now, they cannot reprint any of my stories in any media whatsoever, nor can they use any of my characters. Julie-Su, Geoffrey St. John, Hershey, Rob O' the Hedge, Lien-Da, the Dark Legion along with the rest of the characters and concepts I created - including the alternative universes and future timeline - cannot appear in the series.

... Seriously? He's taking credit for the alternate zones and timelines? That's... pretty weak.

Posted Image

#22 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (saber16 @ Dec 3 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frankly, I think Ken should have just left it be. He may have created characters such as Locke, Julie-Su, Geoffrey St. John and the like, but they are still rooted in the Sonic franchise. Without Sega or Archie, he would never have created them.

... Actually, I thought it was pretty ballsy to claim Rob O' the Hedge as his own original character... IT'S SONIC IN A DAMN HOOD WITH A BOW AND ARROW! He's Amy's cousin and leader of his own set of Freedom Fighters... If this wasn't part of the Archie series, I would assume it was some kid's fan fiction staring their very own "Sonic the Robin Hood!".

The preliminary sketches of Rob O'the Hedge were pretty interesting. Looked more like a combination Rambo/Solid Snake lol.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#23 Bakuda

Bakuda

The Music Man

• Tech Guy
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (furrykef @ Dec 3 2010, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (John Roberts @ Dec 3 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No single person deserves to have their arses sued off by an entire company that can, more often than not, afford to nail 'em to the wall to the point of ruin.

Not even if they jump around waving a giant flag saying "Nail me to the wall"? 'Cause that's pretty much what he did.

Anyway, as I understand it, the lawsuit isn't to punish him so much as to settle the matter of who owns what once and for all. So any punishment for Ken is more of a side effect (legal fees, time wasted) -- but I still can't help but feel schadenfreude for the punishment he does get.

But what he's doing is potentially ruining his career. Who would want to hire him after what he's been doing to Archie?
Click "Show" button in case of fire -->
Spoiler

#24 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Your Average Couch Potato

• FUS Reporter
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (hedgehogfan162 @ Dec 2 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i say ken is getting what he deserves, you know what goes around comes around rember that old saying that fits pefectly her. i mean he brought sonic and sally together just so he could break them up in the worst way. he effectively pissed off probably close to 100% of their fan base with one issue and now he is the one who is pissed

in my judgment this is justice

No, I don't 'rember'....

#25 hedgehogfan162

hedgehogfan162

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (John Roberts @ Dec 2 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked what he tried to do with Sally (End Game stuff). Well, not LIKE like, but I appreciate it from a story telling perspective. I'm not quite sure how this law suit is 'justice' in that sense; he was doing his job trying to write something interesting, not physically walk around and punch fans in the face and rape their pets. And I think he single single-handedly created and established the best Knuckle/Echidnas mythology to date (I want to read that Locke graphic novel of his, dammit!), so on those merits I can't not like him. Really not sure what he had hoped to achieve by starting up this whole mess in the first place, however. What, Archie was just gong to sign over all those characters to him?

At the end of the day I just hope this is all settled outside of court. No single person deserves to have their arses sued off by an entire company that can, more often than not, afford to nail 'em to the wall to the point of ruin. Good luck to you, Ken.

true the sally end game was a pretty decent story but thats not what pisses me off the most. wat pisses me off the most is when he was co-writing in the 120's-130's. if you took away those issues then i have no problem with him i also agree that there is no need for court ken is just whining and archie is probably just mad.

all in all ken messed with the bull and he got the horns. how do you would this don't mess with the bull it's that simple ken

QUOTE (Inhibitor @ Dec 3 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hedgehogfan162 @ Dec 2 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i say ken is getting what he deserves, you know what goes around comes around rember that old saying that fits pefectly her. i mean he brought sonic and sally together just so he could break them up in the worst way. he effectively pissed off probably close to 100% of their fan base with one issue and now he is the one who is pissed

in my judgment this is justice

No, I don't 'rember'....

have you read issues one 120 through 130?
soo many boxes so little time

#26 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Bakuda @ Dec 3 2010, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But what he's doing is potentially ruining his career. Who would want to hire him after what he's been doing to Archie?

Oh yeah, the only way he will be able to do anything now is to go fully independent. No company will want to hire him up after this whole fiasco. Only thing he can do is do his own stuff and make a deal with a publisher to print it and take a certain cut. HHmm... Perhaps StrayDog can step in there tongue.gif

#27 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 2 2010, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 2 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does every writer for Marvel and DC have automatic claim over the characters they create? No. Because its a character your handing over to the company you work under. End of discussion.

And that's one of the biggest problems with American comics, why pour your heart and soul into creating something that ultimately won't be yours at the end of the day? That someone in management could just snatch from you on a whim? Not to sound like a weeaboo but the Japanese (and I think the Korean is similar) system where the original creator retains creative control is just superior when you think about it.

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 2 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, this guy is just trying to give Archie a hard time for firing him so he wants to drag the whole ship down with him.
Way I see it, the only thing he should be credited for is the Knuckles comics and he's long been payed for his work on that. I do miss the complexities he brought to some of the stories but on the other hand, he made alot of boring and odd choices that hurt things more than Ian ever did...lest we forget the lovely Karl Bollers.

Sorry, I can't see how anyone who's been reading the comics for as long as you could say that. Ian completely mischaracterizes and marginalizes the Freedom Fighters to the point that they're not even the same characters anymore.

And personally I'd rather read the complex, well thought out storyline with twists and turns than a monthly slugfest even if it did take a lot of curious creative turns it at least wasn't boring.

I guess you don't remember that Karl Bollers wrote the infamous bitch slap from Sally and added in the useless and hated Tommy Turtle.He was also responsible for stirring up the shippers by breaking up Bunnie and Ant,breaking up Sonic and Sally,shipping him with Mina and whatnot.The guy had to go.

#28 Gojira007

Gojira007

Fellow FUSer

• Sea3on Writer
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

I do so loathe people who equate someone's abilities as a writer to their worth as a human being. I'm not too fond of some of Mr. Penders' stuff either, but I don't wish ill on him for it either.

I DO think this bid of his to wrest control of these characters from Archie, though, has been a fool's errand from the start; all those characters are inherently derviative of characters and properties pretty well owned by not just Archie themselves but also SEGA. If he really did not foresee this kind of difficulty coming up, he was either wilfully blind to it or none too bright. I just hope he manages to walk away from this mess with some way of making a living for himself...
"These hands of ours are BURNING RED! Their loud cry tells us..."
"To grasp happiness!"
"ERUPTING GOD FINGER!!! SEKI..."
"HA!"
"LOVE LOVE TENKYOKEN!!!"
-Domon Kasshu and Rain Mikamura, G-Gundam

#29 FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Resident Freaky Filmmaker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, guys. This isn't about his story telling techniques. (God, I'd LOVE to sue Micheal Bay over that if I could!) This is about breach of contract and/or copyright infringements. Ken did kind of seem to egg it on with his constant declaration of his plans to go against Archie/SEGA, and Archie has the right to keep what they say they have. It would be nice to settle this outside of court, so as the career of Ken wouldn't be spilled out on the lawn, but if Ken keeps pushing this argument, it might have to be settled in court.

There's a short list of folks that deserve a court of law slapping them in the face. I don't think Ken is among those few who deserve it.
I believe in what I want to believe in, you believe in what you want to believe in, so when someone wants to believe in something, no one will know what to believe!
Believe it or not...

StefanFilms
My Graphic Art Page

#30 John Roberts

John Roberts

It's a nativity scene, except nobody here is wise

• Admins
  • 7,063,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

(Psst, Ken. If you're reading this send me that Locke comic).

9:06

#31 saber16

saber16

Sea3on Artist

• Sea3on Artist
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (John Roberts @ Dec 3 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Psst, Ken. If you're reading this send me that Locke comic).

Ditto.

Posted Image

#32 PSI Hedgehog

PSI Hedgehog

Priority one psychic alert. Wanted by the order of Giygas.

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

It serves Ken right for not doing some research and trying to think of another solution. If he had done a little more in depth research on it and taken some legal classes, he would have seen how things could have ended up playing out before taking Archie to court. It just go to show why we need to look before we leap. I have a book that talks a bit about copyright law for one of my college courses (I believe it was for Business Law), so I know a bit off hand, but not everything. I'll look for the book sometime when I get a chance so I can explain what it says to anyone interested. I can't do it now because I am busy with my Accounting course, and it is a real challenge.
Sally realized the power PK (PSI) Freedom α.

#33 DCC

DCC

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

I can't come to appreicate what Ken did in "Endgame" from a storytelling view. Him saying afterwards that he wanted to kill Sally off because he thought she was "holding Sonic back" came across as just mean and that he didn't like the character or her relationship with Sonic. That ruinned any chance of me to ever accept Sally being killed off. So I thought he ulimately got what he deserved when he was fired; I wish the same thing had happened to Karl(instead of him quiting).

As for the lawsuits, I do agree that it has killed any chance of Ken ever getting rehired by Archie and probably ruinned or limited his chnaces of getting hired by anyone else. Comic book companies are going to think he is lawsuit happy.

#34 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (DCC @ Dec 6 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't come to appreicate what Ken did in "Endgame" from a storytelling view.

I can't either. The idea of killing Sally is nearly unforgivable to me. Why permanently remove one of the characters that makes the comic worth reading? Why not kill Sonic? Oh wait, the comic is named after him. I guess you only get to live if you're a mildly annoying overpowered superhero with an attitude problem.

But y'know what? Endgame has very little effect on my opinion of Ken's little legal stunt. I mean, it does make the schadenfreude that much sweeter, 'cause we like to see bad things happen to "villains" and not the "good guys", but nonetheless I don't think of this as comeuppance for his storytelling or anything of the sort. I think of it as him throwing a legal temper tantrum and getting pretty much what you can expect for doing so. Even if Ken were the best writer in the comics industry, he would still be being a douche by behaving this way, and I cannot stand for it.

- Kef

#35 The Mysterious Traveller

The Mysterious Traveller

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

This might sound a little farfetched but does anyone else think that Penders might have started in with the law suit threats as an attempt to gain leverage against Archie?

You know, seizing the rights to the characters he's so convinced rightfully belong to him so that he can say "okay, now you guys let me return to writing for the comic or MY characters will never see the light of print ever again"?

I know, I know. Farfetched. I was just wondering if anyone else had considered it.

#36 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (The Mysterious Traveller @ Dec 13 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might sound a little farfetched but does anyone else think that Penders might have started in with the law suit threats as an attempt to gain leverage against Archie?

You know, seizing the rights to the characters he's so convinced rightfully belong to him so that he can say "okay, now you guys let me return to writing for the comic or MY characters will never see the light of print ever again"?

I know, I know. Farfetched. I was just wondering if anyone else had considered it.

I've thought this from the beginning that this was some sort of powerplay on Ken's part to try and get Archie to rehire him again.
As I've said before I can't see him winning this.

#37 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

I think his motives are irrelevant, really... it's a massive mistake no matter what his aim is.

#38 FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Resident Freaky Filmmaker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, any lawsuit in the entertainment buisness is pretty much a shot in the foot. Especially since everyone in the buisness knows and works with everyone else in the buisness. The 6 Degrees of separation only gets stronger in entertainment, and if you slapped a law suit on somebody, everyone knows it and wouldn't want to work with you in the future.
I believe in what I want to believe in, you believe in what you want to believe in, so when someone wants to believe in something, no one will know what to believe!
Believe it or not...

StefanFilms
My Graphic Art Page

#39 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

I hope that no one minds me bumping this thread.
http://www.tssznews....archie-lawsuit/

The attorney representing Ken Penders against a lawsuit brought by Archie Comics is attempting to have the case thrown out principally on a technicality.

Defense attorney Michael Ertel filed on February 8th the motion, arguing a lack of jurisdiction on Penders in the case. Specifically, the motion argues that because Penders never technically worked in a setting where New York jurisdiction applied (and where Archie is headquartered), he is not subject to the rules under them. Ertel also argued that because Penders filed for copyright protection of his work in California, where he currently lives, the case should be transferred to that district “for the convenience of the parties and witnesses, and in the interest of justice,” according to the document.

At the heart of this case is whether Penders signed a contract with Archie. According to the motion Ertel filed, Archie Comics allegedly conceded that contract “is in dispute”.

The sole basis on which Archie may rely on personal jurisdiction is a paragraph contained in two agreements that Archie claims were signed by Penders in 1996; however, Archie acknowledges that the validity of these documents is in dispute and to date, Archie has not supplied the original of either document to allow a handwriting expert to analyze Penders’s purported signature or for any other purpose.

A Declaration opposing this motion was filed yesterday. It includes an affidavit by Archie’s current president Mike Pellerito, in which he claims Archie Comics requires all independent contractors to sign an agreement with the company. Pellerito also claims in the affidavit Archie’s records date back “to at least 1988.” A spreadsheet of individuals who allegedly signed the agreement, including some current staff on the Sonic comic, was provided as a supplementary exhibit. Copies of the agreements Penders allegedly signed were reportedly submitted as a part of Archie’s original complaint against Penders filed in November, according to Pellerito’s declaration. We should note that complaint is not yet public record electronically.

Pellerito testified to the following, regard to Penders’s alternative proposal to move proceedings to California. Pellerito claims Penders executed a contract while a resident of New York.

The locus of operative facts relevant to these claims is in New York because the ACP Penders Agreements which are central to this dispute were created in this District, executed in New York (while Penders was a resident of New York), performed in New York, are related to goods or services supplied by Penders to ACP in New York. Penders’ current presence in California is irrelevant to this factor.

Pellerito, in his affidavit, cited Edward Spallone, who allegedly executed the agreement between Penders and Archie. Pellerito noted Spallone was absent from Penders’s planned witness list, and he called those witnesses–nearly all of whom live in California- "disingenuous at best."

All of Pellerito’s words are, in part, a response to a 14 page declaration Penders himself made in February in support of the motion to dismiss, which we’ll explore in more detail here tomorrow, as there are a ton of revelations in it. Among Penders’s claims are that, while he did live in New York state for almost 7 years–including the period when he started working for Archie Comics–he never signed a work agreement with the company.

But none of this will move very far very fast. There is a period of discovery that is necessary, and the next status conference in the case–where a decision on this motion may be made–isn’t until June 7th. There will be a lot of waiting and a lot of research up to then, but in lead-up, there has already been a lot of mudslinging.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And here's part 2:

http://www.tssznews....-comics-tenure/

The fourteen page affidavit Ken Penders submitted last month in the lawsuit Archie Comics filed against him is perhaps the most raw, meticulous, and unabridged side to his story anyone could ever see. It tells a tale of a man who, now living off unemployment and close to penniless, was making absolutely sure he was not under the heart of the whole mess’s matter before diving in: A work for hire agreement.

Penders claims of confiding in past co-workers who were also allegedly not bound by such an agreement, and even allegedly confirmed with Archie’s editor in chief Victor Gorelick no such agreement between him and the company existed before filing copyright claims on many of his contributions to the Sonic comics last year.

“Before undertaking these Copyright Office filings, I wanted to make absolutely certain of my position as the owner of all rights in the works I created which were published in the Sonic Comics,” Penders explains in the declaration. “I therefore telephoned Victor Gorelick, editor-in-chief of Archie Comics, in December 2008. During that conversation, I requested that Archie (i) return to me original artwork still in its possession, and (ii) provide me with copies of any agreement I may have signed with Archie Comics relating to any of the freelance work I did for them. Gorelick told me that no such documents existed.”

To be sure, Penders then claimed he followed up several times with Gorelick through telephone and E-Mail, seeking “written confirmation” of the contract’s non-existence. Gorelick never furnished such documentation. It was reportedly furnished when Archie filed its complaint against Penders, but it hasn’t been made part of the public record electronically. Nevertheless, Penders later in the declaration disputed its authenticity:

First, the signatures are not believed by me to be authentic. Second, I have no record of ever receiving documents in 1996 from Archie, nor any recollection of the same. Third, I have no copies of these signed documents in my records – when I receive a document that has already been signed by the other party, it is my normal business practice to make a copy of the fully-executed agreement before returning the document to them.

Penders says the only documents he signed from Archie during his tenure were pay vouchers and a group medical insurance waiver. He also alleges that “all or most of the freelance creators” on the Sonic Comics at the time of his employment did not sign work for hire agreements, and even provided a list of potential witnesses that, at times, is a trip through the series’ history. Penders names former staffers Scott Shaw, Michael Gallagher as “likely witnesses.”

But there’s a lot more to the declaration than those disputes. Penders testifies at length as to how he came to prominence with the Sonic comics:

In October 1993, my friend Mike Kanterovich came to me, telling me he was approached by Paul Castiglia, the editor at that time of the Sonic Comics, who advised that the current writer for the Sonic Comics might be leaving and Archie was looking for some inventory stories to have on hand as a back-up precaution. Kanterovich told me that Castiglia offered him the opportunity to submit story ideas for potential assignments. Unfortunately for him, Kanterovich knew little or nothing about the character or the comic books, and so he reached out to me because he was aware that I knew a great deal about the character since the “Sonic the Hedgehog” video games, Sonic Comics and “Sonic the Hedgehog” television shows were favorites at that time of my young son Stephen. Kanterovich and I spoke about the Sonic Comic opportunity, and I provided Kanterovich with information on the characters. As our discussions continued, Kanterovich suggested that we work together on story ideas to pitch to Archie for publication in the Sonic Comics. Initially, we prepared and submitted three story ideas to Castiglia for approval during the second half of October 1993. All three stories were submitted by Archie to SEGA for approval, and two of the three were eventually approved by SEGA and Archie.

This method of working on a comic book was different than I was used to doing with other publishers. Specifically, rather than receiving a specific assignment, Archie invited us to pitch story ideas, which they would either accept or reject. Unlike my experience of submitting scripts at any other comic book publisher, Castiglia insisted we submit our scripts in full panel page layout form, clearly depicting everything in a rough visual format rather than in normal text format. We were paid no additional money for producing these story layouts, despite the additional time and effort it required, and received no credit or acknowledgement for them in the published works.

Penders alleges in the affidavit this eventually led to he and Kanterovich visiting Archie headquarters in New York, during which they encountered Archie publishers Michael Silberkleit and Richard Goldwater. Some joking around ensued, specifically on notion both Penders and Kanterovich would become the regular Archie writers. That eventually happened, but as Penders notes, “there was at no time any official undertaking by Archie to formalize our working arrangements, and no guarantee of future work for the Sonic Comics.”

It ultimately was the release of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood by Sega in 2008, which Penders believed either referenced or outright used characters he created from the Sonic comics without his consent, that compelled him to seek copyright protection. Penders claimed upon doing so, the U.S. Copyright Office notified both Archie and Sega of his intent, and Archie did not intervene:

[....] During the copyright application process, the Copyright Office sent a notice to Archie Comics and SEGA advising them of my copyright claims, but Archie took no steps to object to the applications, and failed to provide the Copyright Office with copies of any agreements that would dispute my ownership. This was confirmed to me via e-mail on May 21, 2010 by William J. Briganti, Assistant Chief of the Visual Arts and Recordation Division at the Copyright Office.

Penders does not explain if the same circumstances held for Sega, and we are checking out that lost detail for clarification. But if that holds similarly, should Penders prevail in this case, it may mean Sega is also legally exposed.

There are two other notable items in the affidavit. One had potential to stop the runaway success of the Sonic comics, now Archie’s top selling adventure comic, dead in its tracks. Penders alleges that the early alignment with both of Sonic’s television series posed a conundrum for Archie once those series concluded, and Archie considered cancelling the series shortly thereafter (Not exactly a shock, as Ken already discussed this a great lengths himself on this very website not that long ago. -Ag). Penders says the Endgame arc, told from issues 47 through 50, was originally conceived as the comic series finale:

In the summer of 1995, (then Sonic comic editor Scott) Fulop advised me that both the Saturday morning animated series and the syndicated weekday Sonic animated television series were being cancelled. Because comic books licensed from another media (such as television) historically were cancelled within 8-12 months once the original media was no longer in the public spotlight, Fulop told me that Archie expected the Sonic Comics comic book series would be cancelled within the next year.

Undeterred, I continued to innovate with my work on the Sonic Comics, creating additional new characters and storylines, including perhaps the most renowned storyline for the entire series titled “Endgame”, which appeared in issues 47-50. This storyline was initially conceived as the last story in the series, featuring the character’s final battle against his greatest enemy.

Despite Archie’s fears, however, the Sonic Comics proved to be the exception to the licensed comic book rule, and actually saw sales increase after the animated shows were taken off the air. As a result, I rewrote the original conclusion of the “Endgame” story thereby allowing the series to move forward rather than terminating.

The other disclosure Penders makes in the conclusion is more personal and more sobering. It involves the current motion to dismiss his attorney has prepared, on account of a lack of jurisdiction. Penders says he is too poor to make the trip to New York for a trial. Penders says, as of the date of the affidavit, he has less than $500 in his bank account and “limited liquid assets”–potentially making travel costs an issue. With no income available to him other than unemployment checks, Penders states “The costs associated with having to travel to and stay New York City [sic] connected to this lawsuit would pose a hardship to me under my current circumstances.”

As reported yesterday, Archie Comics has responded and opposed Penders’s motion to dismiss with a declaration of its own penned by president Mike Pellerito. But it does not appear any decision will be made in the case until June 7th, the next scheduled court conference. No formal trial date has been set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users