Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  MoKat : (20 March 2017 - 12:29 PM)

:D

@  Uncle Ben : (14 March 2017 - 03:11 PM)

I just call Photoshop the Kim Kardashian treatment

@  Arekkisu : (14 March 2017 - 08:14 AM)

Actually now it's working just fine. Maybe it was something else causing it.

@  Arekkisu : (14 March 2017 - 08:13 AM)

Double checked, it doesn't happen on other websites. Using Chrome

@  Arekkisu : (14 March 2017 - 08:10 AM)

So like, I auto deselect from the text boxes on this website out of nowhere when I don't click on anything.

@  Arekkisu : (13 March 2017 - 07:01 PM)

Maybe eventually, specifically we were looking at facial blemishes being removed, or sun burns or stuff like that. Not completely reforming someone.

@  Uncle Ben : (13 March 2017 - 04:09 PM)

So the Kim Kardashian treatment?

@  Arekkisu : (13 March 2017 - 09:00 AM)

Todays Photoshop Class: Learn how to Retouch People to make them Beautiful

@  Quickster : (11 March 2017 - 07:50 PM)

I can't wait!

@  Ishapar : (05 March 2017 - 05:36 PM)

Thanks for the update, Chief.

@  Ishapar : (05 March 2017 - 05:33 PM)

Wow, not too good.

@  MoKat : (05 March 2017 - 01:10 PM)

Weather was nasty here a few days back...trees were felled all over town o.O;;

@  chief : (04 March 2017 - 11:59 AM)

Bit of a update http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Jman1236 : (03 March 2017 - 12:14 PM)

I'm heading to lakeland, fl myself tomorrow, with my switch.

@  DMoney : (02 March 2017 - 11:01 AM)

Im jealous, I want to go to the Keys!!

@  GamemasterAn... : (02 March 2017 - 04:18 AM)

Vacationing in Manasota Key, Florida right now. And...weather is awesome here!

@  Sandata : (01 March 2017 - 02:17 PM)

South-eastern Kansas? Okiehoma here. Chilly mornings with mild afternoons right now.

@  DMoney : (01 March 2017 - 10:37 AM)

what is SEK?

@  Vlad Yvhv : (01 March 2017 - 10:25 AM)

SEK, here. We had tornadoes and severe storms last night. Yay for the start of spring!

@  DMoney : (01 March 2017 - 10:04 AM)

hey where are you guys at?? I am near Chicago, its a little chilly today but not bad

Photo

Okay Here's Some Of Ben's Ideas

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Sandata

Sandata

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 161 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Man that is a hard choice. I think I'll feel better in the long-run with the size comparison pic if I can't grab both. Thank you again for making this offer!

#122 MidnightStar

MidnightStar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 6 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I did say first come first serve, so MidnightStar, pick the item you want. The Chilidog Stand and the Interrogation Room are the remaining background pieces.  Mokat, you choose next, then Prime. Sandata, you said you wanted whichever of those two model sheets didn't get taken, so at the moment that's your choice. You're welcome to change it in advance of anyone else, since you weren't sure you'd get anything at first.

I take it that it's your intention to give one piece of concept art to me, and one to MoKat?  In that case, I absolutely want the art of the chili-dog stand.

I'm afraid they've already got a crease in one of the corners, but it's not too noticeable. My fault. I will be sandwiching them in thick cardboard. I've got to pick up some extra large envelopes too. I've only got two big enough.

Out of curiosity, is that the crease that is visible on the right side of the scans you posted?  Also, is the concept art printed on standard printer paper, or is it a heavier card stock type of paper?

If you mean the strip of glare running down the middle of the palace interior, that's actually the way it's painted (either that or a defect from the copy machine they came off of; these are reference copies that were given to Ben for him to look at while writing, not originals). Otherwise, I've spot checked them. The colors all match. I even made sure there was no hair or noticeable dust on the scanner glass. Did them all at the same time too, so they should be consistent.

I see, well it is what it is then.  It must be a flaw in how they were copied, especially with the exterior shot of the palace.  If you go over to Saturday Morning Sonic and look at their scan of the same piece you can see the difference (Link here --> http://www.saturdaym...kgrounds/bg_18/).  Whatever happened, the highlights were absolutely destroyed in the copies you were sent.

Anyway, I hope I'm not excessively repeating myself when I say thank you again for this, Frieza2000.  This is really cool of you to do this.

#123 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 83 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes, everybody gets one. So MoKat, your turn.

Is this what you mean?
Attached File  highlights.png   236.68KB   0 downloads
Yeah, on mine those are solid white. Though the colors on mine are more vibrant than their scan.

Out of curiosity, is that the crease that is visible on the right side of the scans you posted?

No, that's actually a scratch in the pages. It lines up on all of them, so that either happened in the mail or while Pat was putting it into storage. What I'm talking about happened well after I scanned them. Crinkle would be a better word than crease, and now that I look again it's more than just one corner, but it's mostly over the white boarder and not the image itself. Some time pressed between two books could probably fix it.

They're definitely not on card stock or anything heavy. It might be slightly better than printer paper in that it feels just a little smoother, but that could just be the age (or a better brand of printer paper than I'm used to).

#124 MidnightStar

MidnightStar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 6 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes, everybody gets one. So MoKat, your turn.

Is this what you mean?
attachicon.gifhighlights.png
Yeah, on mine those are solid white. Though the colors on mine are more vibrant than their scan.

Out of curiosity, is that the crease that is visible on the right side of the scans you posted?

No, that's actually a scratch in the pages. It lines up on all of them, so that either happened in the mail or while Pat was putting it into storage. What I'm talking about happened well after I scanned them. Crinkle would be a better word than crease, and now that I look again it's more than just one corner, but it's mostly over the white boarder and not the image itself. Some time pressed between two books could probably fix it.

They're definitely not on card stock or anything heavy. It might be slightly better than printer paper in that it feels just a little smoother, but that could just be the age (or a better brand of printer paper than I'm used to).

Concerning the blown highlights: Yes, that is part of what I'm talking about.  With the palace exterior, the color is almost whited out (like that small tower on the left with bridge going into it) compared to what I am pretty sure it should be as compared with the scan over at Saturday Morning Sonic.  This is especially apparent with that tower in the background just to the right of the palace where it's washed out with a loss of detail.  You can also see this with the color of the dirt in the foreground as it appears to be almost white although you can still see a hint of the sandy brown color.  However, all I can do here is compare scanned images.  There is no true way to know what the actual intent of the artist was unless you were to get your hands on the actual original.  Although, I believe the intent was that the palace exterior have a slightly yellow tint accentuated by illumination with yellow sunlight.  In other words, if that place were real and you were looking at it with your own eyes you would see that the concrete (or whatever they are using to form the exterior of their buildings) is not perfectly white but has a slight yellow tinge in its actual color.  This is backed up by other images showing the exterior of other buildings in Mobotropolis.  As far as the palace interior piece goes, it's hard to say where creative intent ends, and highlight destruction begins.  It does appear that the intent of the artist was to show the interior brightly illuminated by the midday sun shining through what I am presuming is a dome skylight, and thus a lot of what is in that image is meant to look high key.  Although, I do wonder about the background in that image and whether the highlights got blown out compared to the actual original.  As far as I know, until now there have been no scans of that piece of concept art ever released by anybody so there is nothing to compare it with.  As far as color goes with digital images, any sort of issues with color can always be fixed so long as the base image is not already over-saturated and you have a good baseline range of tonality to work with.  By the way, I am looking at these on a 100% sRGB color gamut IPS monitor connected to my video card via DisplayPort.

As far as printer paper is concerned:  You do know there are various types of printer paper available, right?  I've got an unopened package of HP 130g glossy presentation paper that a family member bought by mistake when we were running low on paper once.  I decided to keep it in case I wanted to print off some photos I had taken with my digital camera.

Anyway, I have a question concerning quoting on the forum that maybe you could answer.  How do you quote select sentences from a post?  Do you have to do it manually using BBCode?  I only see the option to reply to a posting by clicking on the "Quote" button (or "MultiQuote") which quotes the whole post.  The other option that I see is the "Quote" button in the text editor that looks like a word bubble after which I then have to manually copy and paste the text that I want to quote, but there is no way access any properties to reference who I'm quoting, so it just says "Quote" instead of the username of the person I am quoting.  I see that you quoted a select sentence from me in your last message so I know this is possible.  But how?

#125 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I usually just quote the whole post, then delete all the text I don't want.

#126 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 83 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Clearly a videophile :).

I don't think it's as glossy as photo paper. Aside from regular paper, all I have for reference is matte presentation paper and it's not that. But I guess you'll see for yourself soon enough!

Anyway, I have a question concerning quoting on the forum that maybe you could answer.  How do you quote select sentences from a post?

See that light switch icon in the top left of the toolbar? Flip that off and you'll see the raw BBCode that you're replying with, allowing you to edit it. Then you can flip it back on to see how it looks.

#127 MoKat

MoKat

Don't make Eliza-Death summon her Thanatos...

• Fellow FUSer
  • 701 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I did say first come first serve, so MidnightStar, pick the item you want. The Chilidog Stand and the Interrogation Room are the remaining background pieces.  Mokat, you choose next, then Prime. Sandata, you said you wanted whichever of those two model sheets didn't get taken, so at the moment that's your choice. You're welcome to change it in advance of anyone else, since you weren't sure you'd get anything at first.

I take it that it's your intention to give one piece of concept art to me, and one to MoKat?  In that case, I absolutely want the art of the chili-dog stand.

That's fine by me; I was seriously considering the interrogation room piece anyway.

{edit: Hmm...I cannot seem to get rid of that empty quote box for some reason *shrugs*}

Elizabanner100p_zpsswftbytx.png

#128 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 83 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Prime, if you're still interested I need your address.

#129 MidnightStar

MidnightStar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 6 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Clearly a videophile :).

I wouldn't call myself a videophile per say, but I did educate myself about a lot of this video and digital imagery stuff when I got into photography a couple years back.  I was in need of a hobby, and a creative outlet.  That, and my family didn't have a camera in the house for either photo or video except for the dinky little cameras on the phones that we had.  Well, driven by those two factors I ended up getting a Nikon D5500 (although in hindsight I wish I had gotten the D7200).  One of the joys of having a DSLR camera is that you can shoot in RAW format, and process your own photos with processes that are the digital workflow equivalents of working with and developing negatives.  However, in order to do this correctly you have to have a reasonably thorough understanding of exposure, dynamic range, detail preservation of highlights and shadows, white balance, and aspects of color processing (especially if your using RawTherapee).  If you don't, your attempts at processing your images will end up being work of shame. :)  Believe me, I know; my first images were terrible both in terms of in-camera exposure (I hadn't yet learned that exposure compensation is my friend) and my attempts at post-processing (I hadn't realized the importance of correctly setting the input color space).  Well anyway, off and on for about a year I went on what I call "learning binges".  Prior to getting into this, I really had no idea about any of this stuff.  I didn't even know how to use the histogram in terms of any practical application (hangs head in shame).  In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten into this stuff when I was younger.  I was never really into art and photography when I was in my teens, and I even kind of turned my nose up at it.  I don't have any family members who are into this stuff, so I was never pushed in this direction except by my own curiosity later in life.  Like with any field of knowledge, once you learn this stuff you don't go back to looking at things the way you once did.  You gain a perspective that will never go away.

In case you were wondering why I mentioned the monitor that I'm using, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't making clueless observations about things on some horrible TN panel connected via an analog VGA connection. :)   I actually forgot to mention that it's a 27" WQHD LED backlit monitor.  High quality 4K monitors are still too rich for my blood; that, and I needed a monitor with backwards compatible connectivity which 4K monitors tend to not have.  I've actually only had this monitor since late January; the first of this make and model of monitor that I had gotten at Christmas time had to be sent back due to specs of debris in the screen as well as a backlight bleed problem.  This one has been really good to me though, and I wouldn't want to go back to what I was using before.  Let's hope that it doesn't decide to halt and catch fire.

Anyway on the subject of the concept art: other than the the aforementioned apparent issues with the highlights in those scans you posted, they really do nonetheless look beautiful on this monitor of mine, and I want to thank you again for posting them.  FYI, I use FastStone Image Viewer to view images on my system.  I hope I wasn't sounding too nitpicky in my earlier posts.  I just wish we could somehow get our hands on the originals and scan them using a professional grade scanner in the highest possible resolution for posterity.  My guess is that for every major background used in the show, at least one of these pieces of painted concept art was created.  We got a taste of some of it with the extras on the DVD set, but instead of just showing the art they insisted on trying to make it "interesting" by panning and zooming what they showed.  On top of that, because you're dealing with "standard definition" you are only getting a 640x480 interlaced image (or 720x480 expressed as a 4:3 aspect).  So you get to have a look at all this awesome concept art, but it's in the worst way possible.  I wonder how much unused space there was on those DVDs that could have been used to hold a directory containing scans of the artwork and any other files they might have been able to include.  But I guess that would have been too sensible, and we don't live in a sensible world.

See that light switch icon in the top left of the toolbar? Flip that off and you'll see the raw BBCode that you're replying with, allowing you to edit it. Then you can flip it back on to see how it looks.

Thanks for the tip.  This definitely makes things easier.  Of course there was a source edit button hidden in plain sight.  And of course it's the one button that does not have any help text appear when you mouseover it.

#130 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 83 posts

Posted A week ago

All items have been claimed and sent. Aside from the international packages, everyone's expected arrival date is Monday. I hope everyone enjoys, you're all welcome, and barring any further complications...

71whvG%2BY0CL._UX679_.jpg

Peace, guys!

#131 Sandata

Sandata

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 161 posts

Posted A week ago

Thank you again for doing this man!

#132 Sandata

Sandata

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 161 posts

Posted A week ago

Stuff made it in! Hope everyone's as excited as I was!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users