Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

How Would You Reboot Satam?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

* While I would severally tone-down some annoying aspects of certain characters (like Antoine's cowardliness and Dulcy's clumsiness), I would also make the cast feel more evenly balanced instead of just being one-note characters. For example, Sonic is still as cocky and bullheaded as ever, but I would make him a bit more in the right; and I would make Sally prone to occasional mistakes, just to put her on par with Sonic. On a similar note, I would also add a lair of comedy to Robotnik's character, making him silly and entertaining to watch, and yet still threatening and intimidating. And as the series goes on, he slowly looses his cool, calculating side and becomes more incompetent as a result.

I agree largely on this. The 'Sonic screws up and learns a lesson' formula got very tiresome in the second season. The characters were too often limited to the same roles over and over (eg. Sally was his Straight Man, Ant was his Straw Loser) and those that had no purpose were just forgot about. It's not that Sonic should NEVER make personality-enduced mistakes, that's a great deal of his humanization, but it should be moderated with clarity moments and other characters going through the same treatment. Usage of the Sanity Ball is pivotal here, making each character have moments of weakness or clarity that cause their actual personality to have effect on the plot (eg. more instances Sally's meticulous qualities actually make her screw up, or moments Ant's fearfulness actually makes him right about something, instances Rotor or Bunnie contribute ANYTHING personality wise). Even Dulcy could be good if they shown her trying to overcome her flaws such as her clumsiness rather than remaining one note comic relief.

Basically every character learning to moderate their defining traits, but still given moments such traits actually benefit them. This is something I feel was rather lacking in Satam, and even more so the Archie comics. Friendship Is Magic is good example of doing this (that it even uses similar archetypes as the Freedom Fighters helps too). If I remember correctly Underground did this to some degree with the siblings too, each of them taking turns being the spotlighted instigator or the secondary voice of reason.

I agree toning down Sonic a little, less in terms of his flaws, but making him maybe less of an obnoxious jerk about them (I think his treatment of Ant leaned too much into contemptible bullying and flat out hatred by the end of it for example, while the first few episodes were more playful teasing that seemed more characteristic to him). Also dial down the nineties slang greatly. I think something like a merging of him with his games persona would do well, that is also arrogant and reckless (see Lost World) but maintains redeeming aspects such a mellow, forgiving nature.

Concerning Robotnik, I don't mind him being slightly wackier and even slightly pathos enducing like he was in Season Two, it's just doing so in a manner that still maintained suspension of disbelief. Robotnik became incompetent to the point it was hard to believe he could seriously have kept hold of the kingdom for so long. Granted this was less from him being clownish and more he became so cliched 'evil for evulz sake', and was hindered in his tactics and even his key ambitions by his sadism. I liked the idea in Season One that Robotnik was ruthless, but actually held some sort of value towards robots, even giving some of them sentience, this gave some sort of goal in him turning the world into industries outside just making it uninhabitable and turning him into the Omega Man.

I'd maybe also retcon back parts to the older bible canon such as where he only took over for a year or two, and robotocization was brainwashing rather than living death hell. At the end of the day, Satam was still whimsical and there's some dramatic value that such extremes can't add up to in a children's cartoon. Better it be tamed and believable than dark and pretentious.

Concerning games characters and concepts, I agree it should be kept toned down and limited to where it could benefit only. I admit stuff like the Time Stones and the Floating Island did almost seem like it was asking for games material to be used. Stuff like Shadow and GUN however are kinda incompatible without taking up a huge amount of screen time to be established and developed properly however. I like the idea of some of Robotnik's goons being adapted however. Gamma especially would be an interesting concept to put in Satam, an interpretation where supposedly nothing good can come from Robotnik's technology.

#22 Louis the Hedgehog

Louis the Hedgehog

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Check this out.

http://www.furaffini.../view/12472027/

Any questions?

A petition to keep up to a third of the characters in the sonic comics from being lost forever.

https://www.change.o...-hedgehog-comic

To those who want to give this "new direction" a chance, don't say I didn't warn you.

#23 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

I can't see it....

#24 DLTN

DLTN

Rating : Awesome!!!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well, I have a fan fic in progress that is my own continuity based off SatAM and Archie, I'll just shamelessly plug here... http://kyj10.deviant...logue-373921501

As for a SatAM reboot... No Archie characters just SatAM and some Sega characters.

Basic premise is the same with Robotnik being in control of Mobotropolis after a massive coup. Though he used military might rather than a robot army, that he of course still has since he converted those that wouldnt willingly join him. Sonic is at first the only "Meta Mobian" shall we say and the first episodes will show them aquiring new members as Sonic, Sally and Uncle Chuck (who isnt Roboticised and LEADS the freedom fighters) do minor recon missions. The team eventually adds Rotor, Tails, Bunnie and Antoine (who is more Traumatised from the things he has seen rather than cowardly).
Robotnik rules more as a corrupt politician behind the scenes with Snivley as his Public relations man. He simply bribes or outright intimidates/threatens people who he cant buy, using the Roboticizer as a last resort and runs a news network that paints the Freedom Fighters as criminals or terrorists. During a mission to destroy a weapons factory, Chuck is seemingly killed but they discover Robotniks plans for a super weapon that he plans on using on the rumored locations of the freedom fighters... including heavily public areas in the inner city. Robotnik develops an obsession with Sonic as he desires to disect him and figure out how he gets his super speed. Along the way the team discover the Power Rings that seem to Augment Sonic's abilities and that Robotnik has been making trips to the abandoned Nimbus Island to mine Chaos Emeralds that are being used to power the weapon known as the eclipse cannon, an orbital laser. After a massive climax that causes serious injuries on both sides, Sally uses NICOLE to hack into Robotniks personal computer and discovers links between Robotnik, her father and an individual known only as Ixis... and there season 1 ends.

#25 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

How would you all start your reboot off at episode one?

#26 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

I'd probably use SatAM as the backbone, but not be afraid to add to it and do something very different. I'd use Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, and Garth Ennis's second run on the Punisher as the model for taking the heart of the original series, but doing something new with it that's more engaging to older audiences. But I'd also stress that it couldn't go TOO far. You'd need to remember these are cartoon animals, and as such, they'd need to maintain a certain level of innocence and the overall series would need to maintain a strong sense of humor no matter how dark, political, or emotionally/psychologically complex it became. I'd probably sit down the writers and show them an episode of the Adam West Batman show, have them read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, and then show them an episode of SatAM and say, "we're going to do what Frank Miller did to Batman, but to this cartoon. However, the most important ground rules are no sex, no swearing, no gore, and don't forget that at it's core, it's a cartoon about a blue hedgehog who runs fast." The influence from something like Watchmen would come more in the world-building, storytelling, and psychological complexity of the characters than things like the violence, sex or other "mature" content.

#27 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

* Another noteworthy change I would add would be combining the show with "Sonic Underground"; which would lengthen the show's runtime to a grand total of 65 episodes (pilot not included). And best of all, you don't need to rewrite that much; just slightly change the show's backstory to match the SatAM continuity, and everything just writes itself. Of course, characters like Snively and the Knothole Freedom Fighters would be added to some episodes, but their appearances would be reduced to minor roles or simple cameos since the main focus is on Sonic and his siblings. And of course, I would also have the music videos play towards the end of each episode so that they don't interrupt the show's narrative.

Whose the royalty then, Sonic or Sally?

#28 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

Whose the royalty then, Sonic or Sally?

Both. But they're from different families.

Queen Aleena would be ruler of Mobodoon (the city where Sonic and his siblings were born) while King Acorn would be ruler of Mobotropolis.

Plus, it provides a reason to why Sonic and Sally appear to be engaged.

#29 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

That...actually works. I saw the first episode of Sonic Underground recently. Sonic says he's been a member of the Freedom Fighters, and knows Uncle Chuck in the first episode. So presumably, he's been doing the Freedom Fighter thing a number of years. There's no reason it couldn't the same Freedom Fighters we know and love.

#30 DCC

DCC

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

If I were to do a reboot I know I start start off with Robotnic's coup, and adapt "Capture the Flag" (with Dan Drazen's premission).

#31 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

I would have it start with the coup, as well. Jumpstart ten years later, and we fully introduce the heroes.

#32 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

I still say "don't mess with success". Screw this "reboot" BS and make something that's worth watching for the SatAM fans, first and foremost. If not a Season 3, then at least some sort of nice companion piece. Perhaps something more akin to a Season 5 or something, where the characters are all a bit older and the core FFs have had reason to mature a bit, with the first couple of episodes bridging the gap. This way, you could satisfy most everyone's desire to see some of the old behaviors weeded out or toned down, introduce new characters, expand upon the pantion of lesser-used existing characters, and genreally fix what was broken by explination of the passage of time. For this idea, I like the idea of the FFs having perhaps retaken Robotropolis/Mobotropolis, but still being unable to permenantly cure roboticism.

For Robotnik and Snively, I'd say let the FFs believe them to be dead or something. But, instead, they've simply moved to a new lair, to re-group and happen to stumble upon some forgotten weapons from the Great War or something... Something that would help them turn the tide and become viable threats again. And, of course, there could be the occasional threats from stuff like the robots going berzerk, and the occasional villian-of-the-week sort of character to pop up from time to time. Or maybe our main badguys find the Mobian Necronomicon and move on from robots to zombies resurrected from the battlefields of the Great War or something... Whatever they do, it really wouldn't be right to not have Robotnik and Snively back in action as a serious threat. And the whole "blindside the unwary goodguys" angle seems like something that would fit in wiht the SatAM style and mythos.

And the retaking of Robo/Mobo-tropolis would allow for flashbacks, in the form of our heros uncovering their families' histories within whatever remains of the origional city and palace. There is much that can be built upon, without destroying the origional series.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language » Hungarian

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users