Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

Star Wars Episode Vii Discussion

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

When it comes to the EU, I side with Red. Possibly even more than that single statement alone would imply.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan, and 60-70% of the reason was the EU. It's not necessarily that I thought the EU was better, per se, but I don't know any other Expanded Universe that is (or rather was) as tightly interconnected as Star Wars' was. Every movie, every novel, every comic and every game told a piece of a larger story. The story and history of a world, a galaxy, that is not our own. I consider myself a history nerd, and when it came to Star Wars, there was so much detail and coherence that it was like researching a completely different history. Was it always perfect? No, but when continuity is maintained by just one single man, the fact that the EU was even as coherent as it was is a testament to how good he was at that job.

No other set of licensed works allowed that. I remember reading a novel that made a slight nod to a mission from the Rogue Squadron games (I don't remember which book or mission anymore). I loved the Rogue Squadron games, and merely having that single acknowledgement felt like...I dunno, a reward of some kind. It felt like playing the games was worth my time, because those missions mattered. Admittedly they might not have mattered a lot, but as far galactic history was concerned, they still happened. They were still canon.

Compare most other licensed works that sort of do their own thing, rarely cross-reference each other and openly contradict each other. Sure, authors may have more "Freedom" but when you read one of those, you know that it's just a licensed work. Contrarily, when you read or played a Star Wars game, you were stepping into a whole other world that was in some ways like the movies and other times very, very different.

The nukage of the EU is a loss I still feel today, as 20 years of continuity had just been erased, along with several of my favorite characters and stories. Wedge Antilles (even if not an EU-exclusive character, pretty much everything that made Wedge Wedge came from the EU), Grand Admiral Thrawn (who is, believe it or not, only my second-favorite character from the Thrawn trilogy), Gilad Pellaeon...

All that expansive history. All those characters. All those stories. Just...gone. Erased, in the blink of an eye. It was if a thousand tales all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.

As far as the movies themselves go, I'm used to having the minority opinion. Like Red, I also don't hate Episode I (though it's not my favorite, either). In fact, it was my introduction to the franchise. But even today it's probably my least favorite of the series (though again, I don't hate it. I do actually like it. I just like the others more). Shortly after I saw Episodes IV-VI. Episode VI was my favorite.

I remember seeing Episode II in theaters and being happy with it. Later on I saw Episode III. And I can say, Revenge of the Sith is my favorite film of the series. I love the visual design, the soundtrack, the finality of it, and how it shows the birth of the Empire. It was a beautifully executed dark ending.

Episode VI however remains my second-favorite for similar reasons above. Also both movies had a massive serving of Palpatine, who is just so delicious every time he's on screen.

I don't think I'm being blinded by nostalgia, either. I saw all six movies roughly around the same time, and I still feel I can acknowledge the flaws of each. But I also accept that no movie is perfect, so as long as I think the flaws don't detract from the experience, and I don't, then I can enjoy even the movies everyone else hates.

(That being said, that's why I still accept Force Awakens as just okay, and another reason why I'm not the biggest fan of it. The original six movies all felt cohesive to me. That they all told one big story. And yes, all six, which includes the prequel trilogy. In a lot of ways, Force Awakens felt like it was catering only to fans of the Original Trilogy and sort of giving the middle finger to fans of the Prequel Trilogy. It also kind of lacked the whimsy and sense of wonder the other movies had. Like, I'm fine with the Original Trilogy having some basic settings (desert, snow field, forest), but that's excused by the limited technology of the time. But as soon as that restriction was removed, we got planets that were nothing but a giant city, a world covered in boiling lava, a world covered in a vast, tumultuous ocean... Then Force Awakens just sort of hits us with basic settings once again, It wasn't bad but it felt kind of disappointing. Something I always felt Star Wars was way better at compared to most other SciFi stuff (like, say, Star Trek) was the design of its aliens and alien planets. A planet-wide city? Who cares if it's unrealistic, throw it in! A planet of deep holes and craters? Sure!)

#42 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

It's funny you're arguing cohesiveness when one of the reasons they disregarded the expanded universe was how not cohesive and twisted it was. That...wooden acting comment make absolutely no sense either since her acting was vastly expressive and gripping. I'm beginning to think you're not taking this review thing seriously.

*SPOILER* Anyways, I'm getting more and more info about the background work on this movie and the more I hear, the more excited I get about the work they did. Did you know Daniel Craig (007) was the Storm trooper that Rey mind tricked to get out of her cell? Lol, he made that really funny.

------jNz0y5.jpg<-(Retired)
button_art_editor_aso_by_timjcampbell-db

#43 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

It's funny you're arguing cohesiveness when one of the reasons they disregarded the expanded universe was how not cohesive and twisted it was. That...wooden acting comment make absolutely no sense either since her acting was vastly expressive and gripping. I'm beginning to think you're not taking this review thing seriously.

Or, y'know, we have differing opinions. That's also a thing that can happen.

As for cohesiveness, it was. I already acknowledges it wasn't perfect and there were a couple of hiccups here and there, but it was all being managed by one guy back then. It was still impressively cohesive. Perfect? No, but it didn't need to be, either. The hierarchy system was working out pretty well.

#44 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

*SPOILER* Anyways, I'm getting more and more info about the background work on this movie and the more I hear, the more excited I get about the work they did. Did you know Daniel Craig (007) was the Storm trooper that Rey mind tricked to get out of her cell? Lol, he made that really funny.

Nice.  

#45 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

Well since we're talking about spoilers, I'll leave my 2 cents unfiltered.

I thought the movie was absolutely great. Not perfect, but did what it set out to do. It made us forget about the prequels and show that old timey movie magic still exists if the right person and the right amount of love is put into a project. I thought the practical effects was a wonderful return, as it makes you want to go back and soak up all the details for repeated viewings. Whereas CGI it all blends together into a miasma of shit and noise you don't really care for. I was rather skeptical of Boyega going in. I felt that he was simply cast because they needed a token black guy, and because he was Abrams buddy. Upon leaving I now love the guy. I hope he becomes a super star actor. It was great seeing our first imperial stormtrooper be humanized and show the trauma and death that follows a usual battle with them. BB-8 was a wonderful little addition to the new lore. Everyone loves R2-D2, but his presence has been burnt out by the many adventures in the prequel trilogy and clone wars cartoons. Seeing a simple little ball show so much physical emotion was surprising and charming. Chewey and Han are back, and I'm glad Ford stepped up his game and wasn't a grumbling old fart for the movie. Chewie I noticed looked rather clean, like he had gotten a bath and perm. Just something I noticed, not really a nit pick.

The villain Kylo Ren I am rather conflicted about. I love the booming deep voice he has, and the uncontrollable rage when he lashes out. Shows him as very unstable and a danger to everyone around him. But on the other hand, I felt he went down like a chump. He wasn't a very skilled fighter and him losing in the first movie makes any future conflict of him seem rather laughable. I mean, Rey beat his ass who had no fighting experience whatsoever. It was pretty underwhelming. I'd have liked for him to have won the duel, but Rey maybe using the force to knock him off the side of the cliff and leave his fate ambiguous.

The canteen scene was my favorite, just because I loved seeing all those cool puppets and people in costumes. You could write entire stories around who they are and what shady adventures they get up to. My last nitpick was Captain Phasma, who I felt really let down by her really not getting a whole lot to do. She looked so badass and imposing, but got humiliated twice by Finn. I would have loved to have seen her clean house with Finn and Po, just showing off her superior physical strength and training. Hell, we could have even started a story arc between them. But nope, just used as the fall person to drop the shields. Oh well...I really hope they treat her better next time.

In closing, a solid great movie. More than I could have ever asked for. Star Wars is back, and I hope it stays that way.

8/10

#46 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Spoilers

I'll address Kylo for you, Shadow, and why he's actually a fantastic villain. You mention he got his butt kicked by Rey.

He's just an apprentice. Lol, we went into this movie thinking this guy's this powerful Sith, but it's all still pretty raw and unfocused. He's barely trained. He's out of control and mostly just puffing up his chest. Hence the threatening helmet and fear he'll never be Darth Vader. I love it. Kylo Ren's a Sith apprentice trying to prove something with a twisted religious vendetta. Usually, this kind of thing is handeled terribly. But this actor really pulls this off right.

Snoke called him the leader of the Rens which means he's a part of some kind of order, like...a religious order. I now understand why his lightsaber looks like that rediculous shape. Not only is he, like I said, trying to prove something...

It's the freakin' Knights Templar of the force.

Kylo was beat because he's an unfocused hotshot who was also injured, lol. Once Rey focused and let the force control her, she was able to overcome his enraged state. I can't wait to see him develop as Snoke continues his training. He may yet become a powerful Sith and I wanna see what this actor does with him.

#47 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:47 AM

I understand that he's no master and nowhere near as strong as Vader was, but having him lose a duel in the first movie makes him seem like a weak follow up from Vader. If he was called an Inquisitor it would had make much more sense on why he wasn't so strong than just being a rookie sith.

#48 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Spoiler

#49 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

Time for my thoughts.

Having watched every Star Wars movie right before hand, I can safely say, this is close to the top of that list for me.

I think all of the new characters are all great, particularly Finn, and that adorable little shit BB-8, I want a plushie of him right now.

Kylo Ren I think is a cool character, one that needs to be developed more though.

Spoiler

image.jpg

#50 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:17 PM

BB is my new favorite Star Wars character. Tell me where you find that plushie.

#51 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Maz is better. 

#52 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:15 PM

A lot of people are wondering if this Supreme Leader Snoke guy is actually Darth Plageus. Abbrams denied it, but you can't really trust anything he says. He lied about Khan not being in Star Trek Into Darkness.

#53 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:59 PM

Maz is better. 

Maz and BB are tied for me, at least for this movie.

A lot of people are wondering if this Supreme Leader Snoke guy is actually Darth Plageus. Abbrams denied it, but you can't really trust anything he says. He lied about Khan not being in Star Trek Into Darkness.

I doubt they'll reference the prequels that much, if they want to appeal to fans.

Still, that's a very unique idea I'd love to see.

image.jpg

#54 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

Well the clone army was passingly mentioned, so its not as if the prequels are retconned.

#55 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

Well the clone army was passingly mentioned, so its not as if the prequels are retconned.

I...completely forgot that reference until just now. xD
image.jpg

#56 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

I felt the whole execution of destroying the Starkiller base went off too easy. They hardly put up a fight at all, and only took a few pot shots from the X wing to blow the whole planet up. I'd have liked to have seen the whole surface light up with hidden artillery fire, and fleets crash onto the planet. I wish they didn't destroy the planet, because it's been done twice already! Couldn't they just have disabled their weapon and called it a day?

#57 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

You know what I would've wanted?

For StarKiller Base NOT to be destroyed. To be a constant threat throughout the new trilogy.
image.jpg

#58 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

All things considered, I would say that StarKiller Base is the weakest element in the entire film in general. Not only is it a blatant repeat of the first & second Death Stars, but the rebel attack on the base is probably the least interesting space battle in the entire saga thus far. I hardly remember any of it.

You know what I would've wanted?
For StarKiller Base NOT to be destroyed. To be a constant threat throughout the new trilogy.

I might agree, but we don't know what they've got planned for later down the line.

If the rumors I heard for the upcoming episodes are any indication, there might be a supernatural threat looming over the horizon.

#59 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

The coolest thing about Starkiller base was its ice world theme and forests, harking back to the world of Hoth.

#60 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hoth don't have any forests. It's a frozen tundra planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users