Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

Satam In 2019

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

These days I believe Nicole wouldn't have been left only as a gadget - she'd definitely get a visualized virtual model, lynx or otherwise. Not that it makes much sense in terms of being easier to use or provide more functionality, but everything has to have a face and personality now. She'd probably get an advanced A.I. to make insightful observations and provide some fun and/or embarassing moments. If she's portrayed more logical, then she'd comment on Sally's course of actions being swayed by her affection to Sonic rather than logic. Or she could be given a distinct personality to say the same things as a friendly joke.

The robotization process would probably be the most polarizing question. In the 90s it was just a small plotpoint - a mad scientist turns animals into robots, but you can undo it via destroying the metal body and releasing the host (the games) or by some unspecified incomplete transformation device (SatAM). Nowadays it'd get much more attention. How could a machine turn living tissue into a machine? Some Robocop NSFW imagery ensues. Even still, how can one derobotize someone back to their previous self? Nightmare fuel. There could be superscience at work, with machines rebuilding living tissue as needed, but then the whole technology in the series should be portrayed as extremely advanced, which may not be suitable for the premise of the series. The alternative is even worse - if the robotization process in irreversible, then the plot might look too grim to be a cartoon for more or less wide audience. Then again, there's Bunnie. It has to be explained to some extent how her body works. Metal feet have to hold on to organic parts somehow. Wouldn't they be too heavy without the whole exoskeleton? Does she need to charge them somehow? Does she need to eat more to fuel them up? It's hard to pass up such questions nowadays.

#22 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

I do believe Nicole would be more AI, though I doubt she'd have or need a physical body, at least at the start.

#23 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

In SatAM Nicole is a gadget in Sally's hand, voice operated. 26 years later the technology is nothing special - everyone has a phone like a small PC in power and you can have voice control if you wish.

So I believe she'd be portrayed more like an A.I., advanced enough to seemingly make decisions and do things on her own. She could even be almost indistinguishable from a human/mobian (in terms of having a conversation), except for some quirks to stand out.

Having more to do and maybe more to say, she'd probably get a face/3d model to speak from communication HUDs or monitors to announce some analysis results or something. The distinctive voice and the looks could be Sally's preference or a memento of something in her past, a reminder of simpler times perhaps or something related to her mother.

#24 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

Considering that in some aspects, technology went backwards a bit and forwards in other aspects.

NICOLE is technically state of the art in SatAM...

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#25 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

In SatAM Nicole is a gadget in Sally's hand, voice operated. 26 years later the technology is nothing special - everyone has a phone like a small PC in power and you can have voice control if you wish.

So I believe she'd be portrayed more like an A.I., advanced enough to seemingly make decisions and do things on her own. She could even be almost indistinguishable from a human/mobian (in terms of having a conversation), except for some quirks to stand out.

Having more to do and maybe more to say, she'd probably get a face/3d model to speak from communication HUDs or monitors to announce some analysis results or something. The distinctive voice and the looks could be Sally's preference or a memento of something in her past, a reminder of simpler times perhaps or something related to her mother.

With the whole turning people into Robots thing, I kinda feel giving Nicole a more human/mobian body/avatar takes away some of the fear of being turned into a robot.  Don't get me wrong, it is something she could achieve throughout the story, but if done from the start it gives off the vide: "If Robots are basically Human, what's the difference?"

Now Sally could choose the Avatar, heck it may be the equivalent of a Microsoft Sam, but that takes away part of the purpose of giving her a free will.  It wasn't her own choice, but rather Sally's.  Now you can twist this into it's own plotline, but again I'd say this would be Season2 stuff.

At the start I believe she shouldn't have an avatar or face or body.  Basically she should be core computer at the Freedom Fighters HQ and a portable one she can jump on when they need to take her on the go.

#26 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

I guess I've left an impression that these ideas are my vision for a modern SatAM reboot. I should've expressed myself more clearly. I meant to say that this is how I feel the producers and/or writers would portray Nicole nowadays. I don't think it is better than what we actually have in the original. Completely agree on human/mobian personification being unsuitable at first. The starting point should be quite low, with Robotnik being already victorious and the resistance holding on their sheer force of will. The atmosphere of fear needs time to sink in, the fear of becoming a robot and going against everything and everyone you believed in, unable neither to stop yourself, nor end this torment.

Cat's fate could be a proper introduction. The show tried to remain more light-hearted given the setting, so what happened to Cat and how everyone must have grieved was left to the imagination of those who dug deeper.

However it seems Sega is unwilling to explore darker themes. In the latest Sonic Forces the premise is somewhat SatAM inspired. Robotnik finds a way to get an upper hand, wins it all and even defeats Sonic. Yet there's no feel of dread. Robotnik doesn't look, sound or feel menacing, the resistance copes quite well without it's strongest asset and the whole "journey" to retake the world feels like an excuse to have some progression in the game. Not to mention that the theme of being turned into a robot isn't mentioned in any way at all.

(On a sidenote - I can't believe how much they are going out of their way to distance from SatAM! Sonic Forces has a central mechanic of build-your-OC with tons of customization, yet you can't get anything close to playing as Sally?! No words..)

#27 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:31 AM

On a sidenote - I can't believe how much they are going out of their way to distance from SatAM! Sonic Forces has a central mechanic of build-your-OC with tons of customization, yet you can't get anything close to playing as Sally?! No words..)

Supposedly Iizuka has mellowed out about the SatAM stuff. It's just SoJ who wants to distance themselves.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#28 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 241 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

So I think the idea of Nicole as an AI was adequately explored in the Archie comics.  But to be real she always has been a rather advanced artificial life form.  I think a great parallel for her is Halo's Cortana.  It would be cool to see her projected on a table, like among the map of Robotropolis going over some complicated plan step by step.  Robotozation is its own concern.  I always saw it as a molecular thing, changing organic tissue to robotic parts, adding protons and neutrons to the atomic makeup of a being and making it over to something else.  I'm sure the science behind it doesn't make sense.

My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

#29 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I always saw it as a molecular thing, changing organic tissue to robotic parts, adding protons and neutrons to the atomic makeup of a being and making it over to something else.  I'm sure the science behind it doesn't make sense.

But isn't that the beauty of it? We accept that it works because it makes sense in the setting. It's why it's Sci-Fantasy. Kinda like Star Wars: we accept how Lightspeed works and how Light Sabers work. (Yes I know the EU explained it in a way but most couldn't tell you about it.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users