Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

Season 1 Vs Season 2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

As some of you may or may not know, the two seasons of SatAM were directed by two different directors and thus both carried a different tone and vibe to the series, but which one was ultimately better?

For season 1 it introduced a lot of the elements that fans of the series remember most fondly. The dark scifi elements, Robotnik's sinister personality, intimate character moments with the freedom fighters, and the robotisized mobians. With season 2 despite ultimately having a lighter tone opened up the world from the claustrophobic environments of Knothole and the alleys of Robotropolis. In season 2 we got to explore other areas of Mobius, new groups of Freedom Fighters, and delve deeper into the mythology of the world with time travel and magic. Robotnik's plans became more ambitious, and Tails was pushed to the front center where he belonged. But both seasons were not without their faults. Season 1's faults involved moments when established characters would suddenly fall out of character for convenience of the plot to happen, engaging storylines developed that often had a poor rushed ending that would had benefited from two parter expansions, and Sonic's constant in your face attitude being very jarring and clashing with any serious tone the show would try to set forth. Season 2 while it seemed to get a better handle on making the characters act smarter it brought character assassination to the bumbling Antoine. Dim, but useful in season 1 becomes nothing but a self parody of himself and brings nothing new despite being given two episodes dedicated solely to him. Robotnik's sinister nature is toned down for him to be more sarcastic and dry, with much of his menace removed becoming rather similar to the Underground version. The introduction of new characters such as Dulcy and Griffith fall flat as being memorable. Despite being a dragon that can breath ice Dulcy is portrayed much like Antoine as a dim witted clumsy oaf who constantly spews the catchphrase "ma!"

So for both that have their strengths and flaws, which season was ultimately better in the end?

#2 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

It's hard to say which one is "better" and I daresay it's almost an apples and oranges comparison, more so than with, say, Star Trek or The Simpsons, where it's easier to put together an argument for why one season or the other is better.

Princess Sally's character design greatly improved in season 2 -- she looks like she's missing something without pupils and a vest -- but all the other character design changes were for the worse.

Season 2 had some of the show's best or at least most memorable writing (e.g., Blast to the Past, Doomsday) and some of the worst (the shorts). That said, my favorite episode (Sonic & Sally) is from Season 1, and Season 1 had some bad episodes as well, but not quite as bang-head-against-wall bad as Season 2's shorts. Season 2 also had an arc (the power stones), whereas season 1's continuity was more subtle and had more to do with minor plot elements.

The biggest problem with season 2, though, isn't how it differed from season 1 so much as how it invalidated a lot of it. The plane they spent so much trouble on in season 1 became redundant in season 2, thanks to Dulcy, so it was never seen again. King Acorn's fate was changed in such a way that plot elements relating to him in season 1 no longer make much sense. A lot of other plot elements that should have come back simply never did.

Still, if you kind of pretend seasons 1 and 2 were different shows, that becomes irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do that, each becomes only half a show; I'm sure most of us here grew up with both seasons, and they both form important parts of our perspective on the show. I guess they're kinda yin and yang; asking which is better may be kind of missing the point.

#3 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Dulcy is insufferable. She almost manages to sink Season 2 for me.

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:58 PM

For the sake of simplicity, I like to view seasons 1 and 2 as separate timelines. A lot of the drastic changes in both character and tone, as well as continuity flubs, could easily be chalked up as a paradox created by Sonic and Sally's time-traveling escapades in "Blast to the Past".

It leaves less of a headache that way.

#5 PatrickButlerSatAM

PatrickButlerSatAM

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Season Two was my favorite season. It had strong stories and most of the characters including the new ones were awesome. The only thing that ABC should have done is air Sonic Conversion first for Season Two instead of airing Game Guy first back in 1994. Sonic Conversion would have made a good Season Two first episode airing.

#6 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

Dulcy is insufferable. She almost manages to sink Season 2 for me.

Just watched it recently, and, my god yes.

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#7 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

Season 2 gets my vote.

Characters such as Sonic, Sally, Robotnik, Snively, and Nicole got more character development.

The episodes stood out to me more. The Season 1 episodes kind of blend together.

#8 Dav246

Dav246

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Cant decide. Remember, this show had production issues right from the getgo, and allot of the staff was switched around or removed all together. Season 1 was a lot more subtle, had shit loads of atmosphere, but allot less connected.  Season 2 was a little less ambient, but was more connected and had slightly better character development. The introduction of Dulcy is almost enough to make me side with season 1, as if an over the top stereotypical french man wasnt enough, they had to make an insufferable dragon who cant land. At least Antoine had some genuinely funny moments. Verdict, cant decide. Any Satam is good enough. 

#9 GeekySonic

GeekySonic

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

I really can't say. When I was a kid, I didn't pay attention to the episode numbers and whatnot, so I doubt I even noticed there were two seasons. The last time I watched em all right in a row, but I must not have been paying close enough attention, because I still didn't notice many differences (aside from the obvious ones).

If I absolutely had to pick one over the other, I'd choose season one. Dulcy is so much more unbearable than I remembered. I can still tolerate her presence, but that's about the only gripe I have. Actually, Rotor's redesign. Not a fan of it.

#10 MoKat

MoKat

Don't make Eliza-Death summon her Thanatos...

• Fellow FUSer
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

I'm surprised I had not responded to this topic before. Here goes...

Season 2 while it seemed to get a better handle on making the characters act smarter it brought character assassination to the bumbling Antoine. Dim, but useful in season 1 becomes nothing but a self parody of himself and brings nothing new despite being given two episodes dedicated solely to him. Robotnik's sinister nature is toned down for him to be more sarcastic and dry, with much of his menace removed becoming rather similar to the Underground version. The introduction of new characters such as Dulcy and Griffith fall flat as being memorable. Despite being a dragon that can breath ice Dulcy is portrayed much like Antoine as a dim witted clumsy oaf who constantly spews the catchphrase "ma!"

So for both that have their strengths and flaws, which season was ultimately better in the end?

I agree with Shadow here, especially on his assessment of Antoine. Wasn't Warp Sonic (with Griff) part of season 1 though?

Princess Sally's character design greatly improved in season 2 -- she looks like she's missing something without pupils and a vest -- but all the other character design changes were for the worse.

Season 2 had some of the show's best or at least most memorable writing (e.g., Blast to the Past, Doomsday) and some of the worst (the shorts). That said, my favorite episode (Sonic & Sally) is from Season 1, and Season 1 had some bad episodes as well, but not quite as bang-head-against-wall bad as Season 2's shorts. Season 2 also had an arc (the power stones), whereas season 1's continuity was more subtle and had more to do with minor plot elements.

The biggest problem with season 2, though, isn't how it differed from season 1 so much as how it invalidated a lot of it. The plane they spent so much trouble on in season 1 became redundant in season 2, thanks to Dulcy, so it was never seen again. King Acorn's fate was changed in such a way that plot elements relating to him in season 1 no longer make much sense. A lot of other plot elements that should have come back simply never did.

Still, if you kind of pretend seasons 1 and 2 were different shows, that becomes irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do that, each becomes only half a show; I'm sure most of us here grew up with both seasons, and they both form important parts of our perspective on the show. I guess they're kinda yin and yang; asking which is better may be kind of missing the point.

While many of my favorite episodes come from season 2, there were also clunkers like No Brainer and the aforementioned shorts. I like the fact there was something that resembled continuity in some the season 2 episodes. And then there's Blast to the Past, (one of my favorites, BTW) which screwed over plot elements in season 1, yet could also explain some of the inconsistencies between the two seasons. Season 1 had some good episodes too (Ultra Sonic and Sonic & Sally comes to mind). If it weren't for Dulcy, I'd say season 2 was better overall. Factoring in Dulcy and Rotor's new design, I'd have to go with season 1.

post-1851-0-51713600-1506363973.png

#11 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Season 2 while it seemed to get a better handle on making the characters act smarter it brought character assassination to the bumbling Antoine. Dim, but useful in season 1 becomes nothing but a self parody of himself and brings nothing new despite being given two episodes dedicated solely to him. Robotnik's sinister nature is toned down for him to be more sarcastic and dry, with much of his menace removed becoming rather similar to the Underground version.

I can question that. Season Two didn't so much keep the characters consistent to me as much as it did just Flanderise them. Sonic in particular just became non stop reckless and obnoxious, losing a lot of his on-the-fly resourcefulness just to make Sally's strategic skills look better. Sally in turn lost a lot of her flawed side and fallible moments in favour of just being 'rightfully self righteous' (no one likes a character with an ego who NEVER has it bite them back). Antoine was simplified to be even more idiotic just so Sonic would look comparatively better, and even that backfired since Sonic's rivalry turned into more a contemptuous jock, the only time Sonic was excessively spiteful towards Ant in Season One was 'Hooked on Sonic', otherwise he was just a playful troll to Ant's snobbishness, while Season 2 there method of making Sonic look 'better' than Ant was the former non stop in-your-face snarling to the audience 'Eeewww, check out this loser, isn't he annoying? Aren't I WAYYYY cooler?'. Even with Ant's almost lack of redeeming qualities, he was now so pitiful and dumb against Sonic's naked schoolyard bullying of him that I still felt sorry for him.

The rest of the cast barely existed. Rotor couldn't compete with Antoine's oafish qualities so just became a bland techie with no quirks of his own, while Bunnie became completely inactive so they could limelight Sonic and Sally's 'dream team' dynamic non-stop. Any other Freedom Fighters like Lupe and the Wolf Pack felt pointless for similar reasons, while in Season One they at least tried to make some of the supporting cast matter, despite them being one shots.

I didn't mind Robotnik gaining a clownish more emotive side, but alongside it came an excessively arrogant and 'evil to a fault' approach to his villainy. While Season One Robotnik was chillingly savvy and pragmatic, and at least themed his evil on his love of robotics (hence his genuine affection for Cluck) Season Two Robotnik was evil for the sake of being evil, and often themed around cliches like 'I must backstab every cohort BEFORE I've won and then place them in easily escapable long running booby traps so I can watch them suffer', which also had the ill fated side effect of making many of the Freedom Fighters' victories based more on the villains' stupidity than their own competence and making a lot of the premise run too much on suspension of disbelief, I couldn't buy this character keeping control for a decade (seriously what was to stop Sonic hauling him to jail in Sonic Conversation?).

The benefits of Season One was that with multiple writers, they all made different attempts at experimenting with the cast, no consistent favourite was made and they tried to fill in the gaps the others didn't. Indeed it wasn't always that consistent, but not to the extreme it couldn't be seen as the character in a different light. Season Two had an okay idea having Sonic screw up and get an ego check once in a while, but then they did it OVER AND OVER, and didn't balance it out with any role reversals like Season One had, which felt like the opposite extreme.

Season Two had the benefit of continuity, but little of it was used for character development. Some like Tails and Chuck stepped up to be more proactive (even if Tails got, what, ONE episode?), and dynamics were tweaked like Snively being retooled to loathe Robotnik, but their actual personalities mostly felt static, something that wouldn't have been so bad if a lot of them hadn't suffered a lot of decay from Season One (and even in that season some could have offered a lot more).

I will grant some of Season Two did feel a lot more character-driven than Season One regardless, but it felt mostly in the form of either comic relief or idiot balls to enable the opposing side to preside. Flaw based screw ups work for humanising characters, but overdone for the sake of plot devices it becomes cheap and repetitive, especially when done with the same one or two characters over and over (Sonic or Robotnik getting overconfident, Antoine or Snively being bumbling....and that's about it, unless you count the unbelievably dumb way King Acorn and Chuck assisted Robotnik's rise to power).

#12 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

The lastest thing alive

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

I'd say season 1 was better but they were trying to establish more continuity in season 2, which I appreciated.

#13 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

I admit that I love both seasons, but if I had to choose I would go with Season 2 because of the build-up of the plot and character development.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users