Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (05 February 2020 - 07:32 PM)

No.

@  MoKat : (05 February 2020 - 01:09 PM)

*pokes the Shoutbox* Wake up!

@  GetCrazyWith... : (24 January 2020 - 01:21 PM)

Hi there!

@  Wulfsbane : (20 January 2020 - 06:26 PM)

Boop

@  Ishapar : (14 December 2019 - 04:23 AM)

Not bad. Would be neat if my grandpa makes it that old.

@  Shadow : (12 December 2019 - 03:19 PM)

I hope I get to live to 93.

@  Wulfsbane : (11 December 2019 - 09:42 AM)

@  Ishapar : (09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Shame to hear about that. How old was he?

@  RedG : (06 December 2019 - 06:04 PM)

Sorry to hear, Wulfsbane. My condolences.

@  Wulfsbane : (05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM)

My grandfather passed on the 17th.

@  chief : (30 November 2019 - 03:32 PM)

oh?

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

This year's Thanksgiving was a lot tougher than normal.

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

Same to you.

@  RedAuthar : (28 November 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Happy American Turkey Day

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

Photo

What? No Sonic Underground?!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Though I think the only good thing that came out of that show was Manic.

#2 Bakuda

Bakuda

The Music Man

• Tech Guy
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I watched it and it was OK. Though keep in mind the only way I could get through it was to skip through ALL of those awful, mind-numbing songs and ignore Sonia and her boyfriend as much as possible. I'll agree with you that Manic was the best thing to come out of thatt show. I really liked his character. It was also neat how Jaleel did the voices for all three hedgehogs...great work (though Sonia's voice did tend to annoy me). So yeah...the show had it's good points and it's terrible points (Let's sing a song about them!!!)...but it was still alright.
Click "Show" button in case of fire -->
Spoiler

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Watched 2 episodes. The first one and the one where Knuckles first appeared.

I will never watch them again.

Ever.

....Unless I am really board.

#4 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Well, this is a Sonic Satam fan site after all. What do you expect?

But yea, I get what you're saying. That show for the most part was hugely disappointing, nowhere even close to the epicness of Sonic Satam.

As for the characters, Manic was ok, though I didn't care at all for his thieving ways. Sonia was a brat I won't deny, but I still liked her as Sonic's sister. Had she been a commoner instead of royalty, I think she would have been a better overall Sonic character. Same goes for Aleena. Her being Queen made no sense. She should have been a commoner as well, maybe even married to Sir Charles. I dunno, just a weird idea I thought up.

Regarding the villains, I liked Sleet alot, since he has that demeanor that could make him a serious villain. He wouldn't make a good right hand man for Robotnik, but he was a solid bounty hunter nonetheless. Dingo on the other hand was a complete joke. He looked ugly, was stupid and had those ridiculous transformations that didn't fit at all. Not to mention his crush on Sonia was just plain creepy.

Most of the characters IMO would have been better suited in the Satam universe, barring of course their roles are refined to suit the show.
Posted Image

#5 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Your Average Couch Potato

• FUS Reporter
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Sonic Underground isn't THAT bad. Like LaserX5 said, its no where near as good as SatAM, but still ok. Definitely better that AoStH. @_@ The main thing I liked about it was the quarrellings between Sonic and his siblings. To me, most of the humor comes from the fact the Jeleel White is generally talking to himself. Doing that for 40 episodes is quite a feat, you have to admit. The shows atmosphere was also a little bit more dramatic than AoStH, something I liked more. But of course, the songs at the end were dreadful. I don't know who wrote those songs, but I would love to give them a good sock in the face. For one, who's idea was it to have them all sing in the first place? The emblems, I understand, but why instruments? And how? The way they're used is even crazier too. Laser-shooting pianos? Earthquake-inducing drum sets and a death ray firing guitar? What happened to a good ol' stomp on the head? The show was creative, I'll give it that, but the songs were a mess, the plot really didn't go anywhere, and was flat out boring. But hey, anything other than Sonic's first show. wacko.gif

NO, NOT THAT EITHER.

#6 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (Inhibitor @ Jan 7 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sonic Underground isn't THAT bad. Like LaserX5 said, its no where near as good as Satam, but still ok. Definitely better that AOSTH. @_@ The main thing I liked about it was the quarrellings between Sonic and his siblings. To me, most of the humor comes from the fact the Jeleel White is generally talking to himself. Doing that for 40 episodes is quite a feat, you have to admit. The shows atmosphere was also a little bit more dramatic than AOSTH, something I liked more. But of course, the songs at the end were [i]dreadful.[i/] I don't know who wrote those songs, but I would love to give them a good sock in the face. For one, who's idea was it to have them all sing in the first place? The emblems, I understand, but why instruments? And how? The way they're used is even crazier too. Laser-shooting pianos? Earthquake-inducing drum sets and a death ray firing guitar? What happened to a good ol' stomp on the head? The show was creative, I'll give it that, but the songs were a mess, the plot really didn't go anywhere, and was flat out boring. But hey, anything other than Sonic's first show. wacko.gif

NO, NOT THAT EITHER.

I can fill you in a little bit about why they sang. One of the producers of the show in an interview explained that they wanted to make a Sonic series based off of the Satam world with Alvin and the Chipmunks. Ergo, explaining why they sang and why Sonic was given siblings.

What were they thinking?

I actually do like the idea of Sonic having siblings, as long of course they're not anything like the personalities they had in the show. Them being royalty, stealing and snobby was just a really bad idea.

Actually, I liked AOSTH better than SU, but I guess everyone's tastes are different. Sonic X to me was the worst Sonic show of all time, but that's just my opinion.

And yea, I couldn't agree more, the songs in that show completely stunk. Very few of them, if any had any good rhythm and lyrics at all. But hey, if you thought those were bad, you oughta listen to the ones in the Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World cartoon shows. Now those were bad!

DIC for the most part was a complete joke when making music for their shows. They were lame, boring and just plain ridiculous. What was the point of them? To me it was a complete waste of sound.
Posted Image

#7 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (LaserX5 @ Jan 7 2011, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, this is a Sonic Satam fan site after all. What do you expect?

> Other Sonic Continuities > competitive.png

Yes the songs . . . if they can even be called that. The singers sounded constipated. I can tell when someone is forcing their voice.

Alvin and the Chipmunks? What the fork . . .

If Aleena married Charles? That would be trippy, my dear. I'm so used to Uncle Chuck.

The Dingo x Sonia crush WAS very creepy but I think that's why I liked it (guilty). It just makes your skin crawl. I'd rather Sleet be replaced with Nack though (such an underrated character).

Sonia was flat out annoying but snobbery aside, it was because J. White did her voice. I ended up hearing Urkel every time. I just pretend she doesn't exist (especially when they "paired" her with Knuckles). But I think there is plenty to salvage with Manic though.

I actually don't mind Manic's klepto tendencies. It presents more of a criminal element in the SatAMverse. In real war, you don't always have two opposing sides--you have the little self-seekers wanting to profit off the tides of battle or under the radar, stealing from the weak. Those criminal characters like Manic, Nack and Rouge present a third party of antagonism for the freedom fighters. It's a wonder they aren't used more often. Just like how the Chaotix are good guys but still manage to be a little shady. I think it's because their interests are practical ($$$).

Here you have a community of goodie-two-shoes refugees with high ideals and then here you have this little sticky-fingered bandit. If Manic's a little thug, does he care about anything outside of personal gain? Safe to say, his skills could come in handy on missions should he choose to enlist and follow orders, which would be interesting; I imagine he would have even more difficulty listening to orders than Sonic. The non-conformist, punk archetype typically has problems with authority.

But I think it was Episode 23 that made me like Manic even more. It showed he has a big heart and probably had the most (and only) involving plot in the whole series (though that baby was ugly as hell).

And you have to admit, Manic was tearing up that hover board long before Sonic Riders =D

QUOTE (RedAuthar @ Jan 7 2011, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will never watch them again.

Ever.

....Unless I am really board.

Or desperate.

I watched the show out of desperation in the 8th grade since there were no other Sonic cartoons coming on.

If you notice in the intro of the first ep, there was a statue of King Acorn that crumbled to the ground. Looks like they were giving SatAM a little nod, but I was severely disapointed when Sally, Tails and all of them were no where to be found. Guess that crumble was more of a diss.

In conclusion, I agree with most of the modifications stated. Just please, get. rid. of the Sonic is Royalty plot.

#8 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

If SU had no singing it would have been twice as good as it was (which wasn't great anyway). The singing and music was just an annoying plot device that took lame to new lows.

#9 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Indard.

Jem and the Holograms, anyone?

#10 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Your Average Couch Potato

• FUS Reporter
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (LaserX5 @ Jan 7 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But hey, if you thought those were bad, you oughta listen to the ones in the Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World cartoon shows. Now those were bad!

Remember the song from 'Mama Luigi' when Mario and Luigi try to recover Yoshi?

.........It was so bad, I really can't even describe it.

#11 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Yeah? How about this song?

The most facepalm-worthy part of it: the whole "karoobi" thing. Kuribo's Shoe has never been called a Karoobi or Karubi outside of that episode. And "kuribo" is the Japanese name for "goomba", so it's not like the name hadn't been settled upon yet or something.

#12 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 8 2011, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Aleena married Charles? That would be trippy, my dear. I'm so used to Uncle Chuck.

Yea, it kinda is I have to admit. I was just trying to find a good use for Aleena because I couldn't stand her as Queen of Mobius.

I'd rather Sleet be replaced with Nack though (such an underrated character).
In a way, I agree with this. I do like Nack as a bounty hunter. I just find Sleet as a better overall villain, but that's just my opinion.

Sonia was flat out annoying but snobbery aside, it was because J. White did her voice. I ended up hearing Urkel every time. I just pretend she doesn't exist (especially when they "paired" her with Knuckles).
Can't argue with this sadly. Sonia's character was completely ruined due to the fact she was voiced by a guy and had a very unappealing personality. I do wonder though if she was given a personality like Sally and Bunnie, she might have been a decent Sonic character.

But I think there is plenty to salvage with Manic though.

I actually don't mind Manic's klepto tendencies. It presents more of a criminal element in the SatAMverse. In real war, you don't always have two opposing sides--you have the little self-seekers wanting to profit off the tides of battle or under the radar, stealing from the weak. Those criminal characters like Manic, Nack and Rouge present a third party of antagonism for the freedom fighters. It's a wonder they aren't used more often. Just like how the Chaotix are good guys but still manage to be a little shady. I think it's because their interests are practical ($$$).

Here you have a community of goodie-two-shoes refugees with high ideals and then here you have this little sticky-fingered bandit. If Manic's a little thug, does he care about anything outside of personal gain? Safe to say, his skills could come in handy on missions should he choose to enlist and follow orders, which would be interesting; I imagine he would have even more difficulty listening to orders than Sonic. The non-conformist, punk archetype typically has problems with authority.

But I think it was Episode 23 that made me like Manic even more. It showed he has a big heart and probably had the most (and only) involving plot in the whole series (though that baby was ugly as hell).

And you have to admit, Manic was tearing up that hover board long before Sonic Riders =D

For the most part, I agree with this assessment. The thing though that rubbed me the wrong way about Manic's stealing habits was the fact he would even steal from good people as well. I mean, I can understand him plundering Robotnik and his men, but the good citizens of Mobius? Uh uh, Unacceptable IMO. And yea, I love the idea of Manic flying around on a hover board. It made him very unique. Maybe Sega got the idea for their lousy Riders games from seeing Manic in action.

If you notice in the intro of the first ep, there was a statue of King Acorn that crumbled to the ground. Looks like they were giving Satam a little nod, but I was severely disappointed when Sally, Tails and all of them were no where to be found. Guess that crumble was more of a diss.
You got that right it was a slap in the face. DIC basically turned its back on the one show that most people remember for one that most want to forget about altogether. Nice going, DIC!

In conclusion, I agree with most of the modifications stated. Just please, get. rid. of the Sonic is Royalty plot.

Indeed. What was DIC thinking? Sonic is not royalty, no more than Mario and Link are. Could you imagine them having a series with them having roles like that?
Posted Image

#13 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

I kinda just . . . don't give a hang about Aleena. She's just not important enough to me in the total Sonicverse. Should I do some sort of convoluted crossover adapt, I would leave her out all together. Chuck is the only adult in Sonic's life that I like and find useful.

I do like Nack as a bounty hunter. I just find Sleet as a better overall villain, but that's just my opinion.

I concur. I did find Sleet to be one of the more solid characters in the show.

Tru dat. The odds were against Sonia in voice and character. It was also a mistake making her a female Sonic. That is why Manic stood out to me more. He was reasonably different in personality than Sonic. He's still pretty lax and cocky, but he's not as hyper as Sonic and his thieving habits show he's got a looser moral compass than Sonic.

I can understand him plundering Robotnik and his men, but the good citizens of Mobius? Uh uh, Unacceptable IMO.

I agree, Manic's stealing habits are unacceptable but that's the conflict I was getting at. He could start out as a thieving little "you know what" then learn he can't just be only for himself, especially in a time of conflict. Makes him a more dynamic character.

Sonic is not royalty, no more than Mario and Link are. Could you imagine them having a series with them having roles like that?

That would just . . . kind of negate the point of their characters. They are the heroes, the front-liners, the knights that HELP the royalty.

#14 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 9 2011, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kinda just . . . don't give a hang about Aleena. She's just not important enough to me in the total Sonicverse. Should I do some sort of convoluted crossover adapt, I would leave her out all together. Chuck is the only adult in Sonic's life that I like and find useful.

So you don't like Jules or Bernadette either then?

Tru dat. The odds were against Sonia in voice and character. It was also a mistake making her a female Sonic. That is why Manic stood out to me more. He was reasonably different in personality than Sonic. He's still pretty lax and cocky, but he's not as hyper as Sonic and his thieving habits show he's got a looser moral compass than Sonic.

To be honest, I actually do like the way DIC drew Sonia. I mean, yea, in a way she does look like a female Sonic, but it wasn't that bad. It was, as you said, the voice actor and personality that made her very unbearable to watch in the show. Just curious though, how do you think DIC should have drawn Sonia?

I agree, Manic's stealing habits are unacceptable but that's the conflict I was getting at. He could start out as a thieving little "you know what" then learn he can't just be only for himself, especially in a time of conflict. Makes him a more dynamic character.

As long as Manic gave up his stealing ways over time, I'd be ok with it in the short term.

That would just . . . kind of negate the point of their characters. They are the heroes, the front-liners, the knights that HELP the royalty.

Exactly my point. Who on the DIC staff thought up that lousy idea anyway? It's not even credible to begin with! I actually read from a website that Ben Hurst hated the show too. He wanted DIC to continue Satam, but DIC just blew him off. Morons!

I guess sadly he really needed the money since he ended up writing a few episodes for it.
Posted Image

#15 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Actually, I like Jules and Bernie a LOT. I really can't find anything lame about them, though the random hair sprouting out of their foreheads perplexes me (makes them look too much like fan characters). The Tales of the Great War arc (explaining their backgrounds) is one of my favourites from the comic. I think someone even made a fan comic out of it.

I don't have a problem with how they drew Sonia. It's just the character traits and nails-on-chalkboard voice. That's it, really :-)

I guess sadly he really needed the money since he ended up writing a few episodes for it.

O'rly? 0_o

#16 FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Resident Freaky Filmmaker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I had a few SU episodes on the Sonic Christmas Blast DVD. It was better than the Christmas special (duh!), but Jaleel White voicing all of the hedgehogs became intolerable after a while. And I face palmed every time they used "the power of music" to accomplish what a simple blaster gun did in SatAM. There was one episode on the DVD where they all went to sing a song for the ghost of hedgehog past or something and it somehow helped them along their quest. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
I believe in what I want to believe in, you believe in what you want to believe in, so when someone wants to believe in something, no one will know what to believe!
Believe it or not...

StefanFilms
My Graphic Art Page

#17 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,590 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Yet how often did said weapons and religions succede where said blaster did not?
But I'd take the blaster over the power of music any day.

#18 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (FreakyFilmFan4ever @ Jan 11 2011, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Or a good spin dash.

It's like the recent trend of giving Sonic a sword or Shadow a gun. WHY do they need weapons? They ARE the weapons.

#19 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 11 2011, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I like Jules and Bernie a LOT. I really can't find anything lame about them, though the random hair sprouting out of their foreheads perplexes me (makes them look too much like fan characters). The Tales of the Great War arc (explaining their backgrounds) is one of my favorites from the comic. I think someone even made a fan comic out of it.

Yea, I know what you mean about the hair. It's ok for Jules, but it just looks too odd for Bernadette. They should have given her a hairstyle similar to Aleena or Sonia's.

I don't have a problem with how they drew Sonia. It's just the character traits and nails-on-chalkboard voice. That's it, really :-)
So true sadly. I bet if DIC gave Sonia a more appealing personality and a solid voice actress, she might have been a popular Sonic character.

O'rly? 0_o

The only reason I said that is because I really can't figure out why Hurst would even help out since he clearly did not like this cartoon.

Here's a link showing his thoughts about the cartoon. http://forums.sonic-...p?showtopic=200

It's a very sad read unfortunately, as Sega and Ken Penders both did him wrong when he tried to get a 3rd Season of Sonic Satam going again.
Posted Image

#20 Baz

Baz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

It does look better on Jules but I'd rather he didn't have it. My mind gets really technical with this stuff; does Sonic then carry the genetic disposition for random sprouts of brown hair? Maybe I'm over thinking it but being an artist, I am SO fastidious when it comes to character design.

Yeah, even if they wanted to make Bernie's hair a different colour, they could go with Sonia's type of monochrome colour scheme. Looks more cohesive than clashing yellow and purple.

I read the article and wow . . .

How utterly cutthroat and sad. Really SAD.

It leaves a sobering message to be careful who you work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users