Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

Dc Vs Marvel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Marvel Comics or DC Comics?

DC or Marvel

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

The first superhero that I ever knew of was Spider-Man. Then it was Batman and Superman. Then it spiraled out of control and is most likely the reason I will never get married...

Anyway growing up I always wondered why Spider-Man never was part of the Super Friends. It wasn't until years later did I learn there was more then one Comic book company. Recently after spending a year without doing anything DC related I dug up my old Batman comic collection, and I wondered which company was better?

What better people to ask then a bunch of Sonic Fanatics right?

So which do you like better and why? Marvel? DC? Both? Darkhorse?

#2 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Different strokes for different folks really. Personally while I love comics I keep up with neither company.
Since superheroes while great are not the end-all-be-all of American comics much less comics in general. And I tire of them after a while.
But if I had to pick one it'd probably be DC because of classic Batman (the latest stuff with Damian Wayne and "Batman Incorporated" can go to hell)) and The New Teen Titans (from the 1980s, "New" was part of the name) and a few other favorites like Jonah Hex.
DC is classically thought of as having more archetypal characters with a less complex worldview and more simple stories. While Marvel had more interesting/individualistic and let's face it more hip characters in stories that were more complex and character driven. Of course that's not an accurate reflection today and there have always been exceptions to those characterizations on both sides of the fence.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

So that's a Maybe right?

#4 DLTN

DLTN

Rating : Awesome!!!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

Im a bit of both, I read a reasonable amount of Marvel, but i love Batman. After Batman Begins i started looking up some of the stories to catch up, i was and probably still am a little clueless but i enjoy the character...
What company does Watchmen fall under? i have the graphic novel and have read it loads, but i heard it was originally going to be based of DC characters.

#5 Cheezmatt

Cheezmatt

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

Ew, comic books.
Posted Image

Aussie #3

#6 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (DLTN @ Dec 11 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What company does Watchmen fall under? i have the graphic novel and have read it loads, but i heard it was originally going to be based of DC characters.

Watchmen is indeed DC, though the characters it was going to use weren't originally from DC. DC had just bought a bunch of characters, and Moore wanted to use them in the story. But since Moore's story required a lot of them to get killed, they decided it would be better to make new characters rather than ruin the property they just spent a whole bunch of money on.

#7 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (DLTN @ Dec 11 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im a bit of both, I read a reasonable amount of Marvel, but i love Batman. After Batman Begins i started looking up some of the stories to catch up, i was and probably still am a little clueless but i enjoy the character...

That depends on the TYPE of Batman you're interested in. What kind of Batman are you looking for? Judging by your like of Batman Returns I'm guessing a darker, more modern Batman. Well if that's the case these (and the Dark Knight Returns) are all pretty much considered required reading/modern classics http://www.amazon.co...e...7240&sr=1-1 http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_1 and http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_2 also http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_3 (I'd also mentioned "A Death in the Family"/"A Lonely Place of Dying" but everything having to do with Robin has become so convoluted of late I dislike thinking about it)

If you love a good mystery and are familiar with the general history of Batman through the last couple decades enough - http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_6 hah, lot of Jeph Loeb stories on this list I guess huh? If you read only one make it The Long Halloween. Though it's hard to recommend against Jim Lee's beautiful artwork.

If you're interested in the history of the character though http://www.amazon.co...t...7524&sr=1-1 and http://www.amazon.co...o...7549&sr=1-1

There are also "Batman in the *decade here* " books if you want a small flavor of him in various periods. And if you don't mind them being in black and white and just want a ton of Silver Age Batman stories the showcase presents volumes are a great deal http://www.amazon.co...a...7822&sr=1-1

That ought to be enough to start on at least lol.

QUOTE (furrykef @ Dec 12 2010, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DLTN @ Dec 11 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watchmen is indeed DC, though the characters it was going to use weren't originally from DC. DC had just bought a bunch of characters, and Moore wanted to use them in the story. But since Moore's story required a lot of them to get killed, they decided it would be better to make new characters rather than ruin the property they just spent a whole bunch of money on.

Yeah, ironically the Watchmen versions of most of those characters are now probably much more valuable than the originals.

"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#8 DLTN

DLTN

Rating : Awesome!!!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Ratty, i will give those a look biggrin.gif

#9 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (DLTN @ Dec 12 2010, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Ratty, i will give those a look biggrin.gif

No problem. Interlibrary loan can help you with a lot of these if the service is available at your local library hehe. smile.gif worldcat is a great and easy way to get the necessary information to request a loan http://www.worldcat.org/
The only ones I'd say checking out from a library doesn't work for so well are the "Batman Chronicles"/much pricier "Archives" (which are almost the same content-wise but with glossy paper and $40 added to the price) or to a slightly lesser extent the Showcase Presents style books. Since a lot of those stories are kind of samey and disposable and obviously meant to be read months apart. If you plow through one of those books in a short period of time the stories will all start to run together lol.

- Eric Idle

#10 John Roberts

John Roberts

It's a nativity scene, except nobody here is wise

• Admins
  • 7,063,002 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Darkhorse is my definitive choice for comic reading. Completely biased, of course - the Buffy and Firefly comics.

QUOTE (Cheezmatt @ Dec 12 2010, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ew, comic books.

Get the hell out!

9:06

#11 Ther2view

Ther2view

Creator of Relyt and Drake!

• FUS Reporter
  • 21,947 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I know this hasn't been touched since December, but I'm gonna throw my two cents in anyways. I LOVE Spider-Man. Even if I can't read the comics I look up what I missed online. But my second favorite super hero is Superman, a DC comic. Both companies have great characters. Hmm...

Can I say Amalagam Comics?
If you can read this you don't need glasses.

#12 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

Marvel has more variety. While Batman is awesome, he tends to outshine everyone else. Yeah Superman is awesome too but he's a harder character to keep your attention with since he can be quite a godmodder.
DC has the justice league and green lantern...Marvel has X Men,Spiderman,Thor,Hulk,Avengers,Fantastic 4,Ghost Rider, etc.

#13 Ther2view

Ther2view

Creator of Relyt and Drake!

• FUS Reporter
  • 21,947 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

I like Superman because he's a character that you don't have to worry about. He'll do the right thing. He'll survive the fight. Even kryptonite can't stop him long. Hell, DEATH can't stop him! I agree that Marvel has more complex and interesting characters, but sometimes I just want to read a basic good vs. evil story... well, with the OLDER DC comics that is. If I was forced to choose just one to be my favorite it would definitely be Marvel, but I really do like both, just for different reasons.
If you can read this you don't need glasses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users