Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (04 July 2020 - 03:27 PM)

Happy Brexit 1776

@  Wulfsbane : (29 May 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Yo Lito

@  furrykef : (25 May 2020 - 09:38 AM)

I can handle it, but why do you want to delete your account?

@  Lito290 : (24 May 2020 - 09:02 PM)

How does one request the deletion of their account?

@  VHS : (21 May 2020 - 04:04 PM)

I gotta join that then

@  Shadow : (14 May 2020 - 01:17 PM)

Sure is. A lot more lively than here.

@  VHS : (02 May 2020 - 08:31 AM)

Oh shoot there's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 06:58 PM)

It's a disagreement between two people...n judging what goes on in there sometimes that's a very apt description xD

@  John Roberts : (25 April 2020 - 05:34 PM)

What's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 04:15 PM)

Activity is spread across forum, discord 'n the site chat room. There's life, it's just hiding under different rocks :D

@  RedAuthar : (25 April 2020 - 04:13 PM)

It's still slow. We ain't dead. Just close

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Wait, I thought this place wasn't dead, it seemed active

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:20 AM)

I LIVE

@  wildfire : (22 April 2020 - 10:57 AM)

Ya know John, I wouldn't be surprised if it was me. At least I'm a bit more active these days

@  chief : (20 April 2020 - 05:24 PM)

Discod stays going pretty good

@  Nex : (20 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Is the Discord busy? Still trying t figure out where most of you monkeys hang out.

@  MauEvig : (19 April 2020 - 07:58 PM)

Well, I'll be chilling on the Discord. :)

@  John Roberts : (19 April 2020 - 12:32 PM)

It's just you, Wildfire. You're killing us mate!

@  wildfire : (19 April 2020 - 09:01 AM)

To be fair, there are more rapid forms of communication these days. The Discord server sees a far bit of attention. I remember the IRC too, but that's dead last I looked

@  MauEvig : (18 April 2020 - 08:10 PM)

A shame. And here I'm finally getting back into the spirit of everything Sonic. Well maybe we just need to liven things up. :)

Photo

When Did The Archie Comic Stray From The Tv Series?

SatAM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

Sally is best girl

• Fellow FUSer
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Okay, so you know how the original Sonic comic was based off of the SatAM show? In your own opinion, at what point did the comic start to drastically move away from the original series? I haven't read the old comics in quite some time so it would be nice to hear what everyone else thinks of this. Thanks!

#2 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

Well, the comic started out as a sort of blend of SatAM, AoStH, and the games. The Freedom Fighters and Robotnik's design were from SatAM, but the stories were a lot more like AoStH, and they often shoehorned in ideas like Super Sonic from the games.

Eventually they started making it more like the show, though they kept the video game tie-ins and the characters that came with them. As much as I hate to admit it, I think Ken Penders was the person most responsible for this change of direction. In particular, the first really SatAM-like story in the series was Sally's Crusade, which started in Sonic #17 with an orb falling from the sky, which is later revealed to contain Nicole. This issue also marked the first appearance of King Acorn in the comic. The next issue featured the death of Sally's mentor, Julayla. But these were side stories, and the main stories of these issues were still goofy AoStH-style fare. Before too long, though, the more serious stories became the main stories and the goofy stories became the side stories, at least usually.

Then Endgame (Sonic #47-50) featured the death of Robotnik Prime, severely changing the status quo, and the comic started to drift from its roots. The next 23 or so issues didn't even have Robotnik (that's nearly two years' worth!). Then he came back in Eggman form. At around this time the comic also redesigned Sonic and Tails to match their Sonic Adventure appearance, and the comic also introduced Mina the Mongoose. Together, these were pretty much the nails in the coffin for the comic's SatAM era.

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,628 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

What Kef said, pretty much. The comics leaned more AoStH for a while. Heck Snively didn't appear until issue 8, which was a parody of A Christmas Carol, so it wasn't even a canon appearance.

I think the Sonic 3 adaption was when they started focusing on more serious stories and goofy stories became the side show, but don't quote me on that.

#4 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

I can't speak from experience on this, since by the time I got into collecting Sonic comics they were already nearing issue 100, but I have read a good number of the earlier issues.  While the general content of the comic was very AoStH in tone, there were plenty of SatAM elements as well.  Archie was the only place to try and explain Sally's pilot color scheme, though they would fix the colors in reprints of those stories like the Sonic Firsts trade.  I always liked to see it as a middle ground in the beginning that began to skew toward SatAM more as the comic and it's readership aged.  I found the Endgame arc (which I read as a Sonic Super Special) to be appropriately serious for the gravity of the story.  I've collected a good number of issues since Highschool, and I pick up more when I attend my local comic conventions here in MI.

My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

#5 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:40 PM

It was the start of Sally's miniseries that the comic's tone matched that of Satam, but the issues still followed a blend of AOSTH and SATAM themes depending on the author.  It was at this time that I started to get drawn more into the storyline/characters which would eventually lead me to Satam.  I only read up to the Endgame arc at Issue 50, so I cannot say when the series left the Satam concept, but I will go on to say that Archie and Satam are very different in terms of story and content.  I personally stopped at issue 50 because it appeared Archie has strayed all over the place with pleasing every Sonic medium whether it was the early wacky humor of AOSTH, the characters and darkness from Satam, or incorporating modern Japanese Sonic franchises into the canon.  I personally am not fond at what Archie has done over the years, but I realize that just about every big mainstream comic industry have not kept a consistent storyline with their own franchises.  If you want the stories that tie to Satam, start with the Sally mini-series from issue 17 and stop at the Endgame at around 50.  New characters and concepts certainly got integrated after issue 50, but I honestly think it started to become one jambling mess.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

#6 Prime

Prime

"Son, I am disappoint"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

I'd say it strayed right around #75 or so as they were gearing up for the Sonic Adventure adaption.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#7 Janus

Janus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:55 PM

I'd have to agree with Prime.  After the comic adapted Sonic Adventure, they eventually adapted Sonic Adventure 2, and more of the characters created by the writers began to usurp the roles and importance of the original cast.  For example, Mina Mongoose becomes a major supporting character and appears in multiple issues and storylines which is far better than what was being done with Antoine, Bunny or Rotor.  The art became increasingly manga-like and strayed from the earlier artwork which better adhered to the characters designs from the show.  I could go on, but I don't want my answer to become any more long-winded.

#8 NotSoFast

NotSoFast

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

I'd have to agree with Prime.  After the comic adapted Sonic Adventure, they eventually adapted Sonic Adventure 2, and more of the characters created by the writers began to usurp the roles and importance of the original cast.  For example, Mina Mongoose becomes a major supporting character and appears in multiple issues and storylines which is far better than what was being done with Antoine, Bunny or Rotor.  The art became increasingly manga-like and strayed from the earlier artwork which better adhered to the characters designs from the show.  I could go on, but I don't want my answer to become any more long-winded.

Sonic Adventure? I remember people complaining about Archie straying from its SatAM roots right after Endgame, back in the 90s. Robotnik was gone, and the focus shifted away from the Freedom Fighters. The main cast in the next arc consisted literally in Sonic and Tails, with Monkey Khan occasionally joining.

#9 Janus

Janus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

While Robotnik was gone, Naugus became the next big threat and since he appeared in one episode in the show, I feel like the comic still had a connection to the show.  Just much smaller than before.  Perhaps I should have included the mention of Naugus in my earlier post.  I was thinking about him when I typed it out.

#10 Prime

Prime

"Son, I am disappoint"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:58 AM

Sonic Adventure? I remember people complaining about Archie straying from its SatAM roots right after Endgame, back in the 90s. Robotnik was gone, and the focus shifted away from the Freedom Fighters. The main cast in the next arc consisted literally in Sonic and Tails, with Monkey Khan occasionally joining.

What a lot of people tend to forget is at the very beginning of the book, it wasn't SatAM based at all. The book was more like a hybrid of SatAM and AoStH, very AoStH based in terms of its humour just with the SatAM cast of characters in there, so it was very much it's own thing really. It look a long while before the book even started pushing for the more serious take that SatAM was doing. And while after Endgame they were doing their own thing, it did seem by the time Sonic Adventure rolled around that Sega was getting more involved with the book itself.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#11 A Fox in a Dress

A Fox in a Dress

Relic of the past

• Fellow FUSer
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

I collected the comic until somewhere in the 200s I think, though after issue 100 or so it was mostly out of some misplaced sense of vague hope things would ever go back to how they used to be. Hah. Anyway, I remember still liking the comic for at least a couple dozen episodes after End Game, which, honestly, I remember really liking as a SatAM-esque story arch. It had a lot of the components of SatAM that I really liked and the finale with Robotnik was killer. (This despite all the behind-the-scenes politics, which I didn't know at the time).

What everyone else has said is basically true though. The comic was never truly 100% SatAM, but there was definitely a time where much of the content was what I accepted as close to SatAM as possible. For me, it felt around the mid 70s where it just started to go elsewhere.

Hah. I have a really dumb letter that was printed in one of the issues in the 100s from when I was like 15, so I was clearly still enjoying them. The one with the cover where Sonic is stranded on an iceberg IIRC.

I'm on Patreon! Sign up if you want to see more Sonic art or just chill.

#12 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

There was a letter I posted about in a rant topic years ago here on FUS.  Some kid who couldn't know any better was going on about how Sally and the Freedom Fighters weren't "real" and it really set me off in a big way.  The Freedom Fighters may not have appeared in many of the games, but they WERE licensed by SEGA and therefore are official characters in the Sonic cannon.  And that's true whether SoJ wants to admit it or not.

Feel free to add me

#13 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,628 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

They used to be on the US Sonic website back in the day at least around Sonic Heroes release. And they were featured in Sonic Spinball and Sonic Mega Collection (via the comic).

#14 A Fox in a Dress

A Fox in a Dress

Relic of the past

• Fellow FUSer
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

No, he was right. They're not real. We've all just been experiencing mass delusion since 1993.

I'm on Patreon! Sign up if you want to see more Sonic art or just chill.

#15 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

No, he was right. They're not real. We've all just been experiencing mass delusion since 1993.

Me?  Deluded?  No way!  I just think there's a portal in my bathroom to the REAL Mobius where Sonic and I are besties and we tag team Sally every weekend.

Or wait, maybe I am a little deluded.

Feel free to add me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SatAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users