Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

The Perfect Sonic Tv Show

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jtreese

jtreese

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

This Topic may sound similar to "If There was another Sonic show..." . If you were able to create the perfect Sonic TV show, what would it be, be specific. Personally, I would like the TV show to be based off of the New Universe of the Sonic Archie Comic. Ian would be the writer, Tracy Yardley will be the artist, with the same animation team From "The Legend of Korra."

#2 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

If there is to be another Sonic show, It'll have to be a good mix between dark and lighthearted in order for it to work.

I don't mind dark elements in the Sonic series as long as they're implemented well. Since the general series is targeted towards family audiences, a good blend between dark and light-heartedness is needed to satisfy both kids and adults. The best examples of darker-yet-fun portrayals are the "Sonic Adventure" series, television shows like SatAM and "Underground", the Sonic OVA movie, and both the Fleetway and [current] Archie comics. They have the right amount of humor and goofiness as well as drama, action, and development to appeal to a wider audience.

If the series is too lighthearted, you get AoStH or "Sonic X". These shows suffered badly because there was hardly anything to care about. The settings were bizarre, the characters were either bland and/or annoying, and the stories were nearly nonexistent. These shows were nearly impossible to connect with and immerse yourself in the series.

If it's too dark, you get "Shadow the Hedgehog" or "Sonic 06". These games took themselves too seriously and tried making the series too hardcore for their own good. They added swearing and guns just to appeal to older players and eliminated any fun moments to try and make the game more serious in tone. As a result, the games were bland, corny, rushed, and too convoluted for anyone to fallow.

#3 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

What we need is a perfect blend of SatAM and the games from Colors onwards.
image.jpg

#4 Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Running Wild

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

The Perfect Sonic TV Show? That could be a combination of anything really, personally though something of a combo between SatAM/Archie, STC, and the Games would be my kinda thing. I would like a heavy STC based world for a TV Show but that's quite unlikely.

Writers I would like on the show would be someone like Ian Flynn, Nigil Kitching, Maxwell Atoms, or Craig McCracken.

Art style I'd like Spaz, Yardley. Lew Stringer, or Yuji Uekawa.

Not sure on who would do the animation style but hey The Avatar Team does it VERY WELL.

Seriously, HOW THE HELL did nobody know that Robotnik was evil!? I mean just look at those red, glowing, hellish eyes, oh yeah I can completely trust that guy with my life! *sarcasm*

#5 Captain Sorzo

Captain Sorzo

The Captain

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Honestly, if Sea3on Animated was given high enough production values, along with the return of key voice actors (Soucie, Cummings, Adler, and Paulsen), while retaining full creative freedom, it would likely turn out nigh perfect. SatAM serves as a far stronger foundation than any other continuity (I'll admit to not being familiar with StC, but what little I know doesn't sound terribly interesting), and the comic has already ironed out the numerous issues of the original series.

Would it please everyone? Absolutely not. But at this point the Sonic fanbase is so disparate that no single thing possibly could, especially in terms of narrative. Would it serve as more effective advertising for Sega than other options? Probably not, at least directly. A focus on objective quality rather than wide appeal, however, could eventually gain a wider support base, with people looking into the show not because it has Sonic, but because it works so well in its own right. This in turn would generate greater interest in the rest of the franchise.

Loath though I am to bring up FiM, I believe its popularity worked on a similar level, at least among audiences beyond the target demographic. It gained fans not because of the attached IP, but because people started enjoying the show for its own merits. This in turn led to greater consumer awareness of the overall IP.

That's not to say I'm trying to directly compare SatAM to FiM. The latter is simply a noteworthy case study of an approach that could possibly justify Sea3on Animated being produced over something else more similar to the games.

57677ee618a4a_FSOMBanner.jpg.004b52a1171

Story updates and more now available at Free Scribes of Mobius!

#6 Hammer

Hammer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

To be fair, I don't think a current Sonic show should have ANYTHING to do with SatAM, except for the general tone. IMO, it should be completely different and more based off the games.

Maybe an adaptation could be completely different from the games in the 90s, but now... nay.

SatAM was good for its time, and Sea3on Animated is a "from fans to fans" project, but the original should be left to rest.

#7 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

I love how a lot of you have said we need a "balance" or "combo" between SatAM and the Games, because that's what Archie is trying to do.  And for the most part the forums seems to always say they do it wrong. xD  

A "perfect" Sonic TV Show for me however would be a blend between the Games and an original setting (like SatAM was at the time).  The game elements would be adapted to fit the original setting, that way rather than having to redo things when a game comes out with elements that contradict the show, they instead would be modified to support the shows already existing plot.  

Also the show would adapt the games themselves, or at least the ones that are worth adapting, so you'd have a Sonic 3 and Knuckles arc of Episodes but they would again fit the original established world.

I don't think SatAM should be forced onto the idea.  I've said many times before that while SatAM is one of my favorite all time animated series, it's not always my favorite piece of the Sonic Franchise.  Forcing SatAM into the story just makes things feel awkward and wrong.  Sure the show could take ideas and characters from SatAM and Archie and Whatever, but they should all be balanced and adapted to improve on things rather than just be there for fans' sake (besides...honestly Sonic Fans are terrible).  

For a "perfect" show obviously it feature my favorite characters, however for a ideal Sonic show, it would feature many characters and not ONLY focus on one hero all the time.  Sonic may star in many episodes but some should focus on Tails, Knuckles, and/or even Robotnik. 

And finally for tone, I think it should be able to take itself seriously, but keep things light hearted every now and again so that we're not always dark.

Interestingly enough my idea sounds like just about every Sonic idea in existence.  SatAM did it.  Archie is trying to do it.  Even Sonic X tried this.  

The problem comes to what one person sees as perfect (especially Sonic fans) others find done wrong.  

Ah well.  That's why we form these communities where are interests lie in similar paths but are different enough so we're able to expand our views. 

#8 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ah well.  That's why we form these communities where are interests lie in similar paths but are different enough so we're able to expand our views. 

The secret to getting a "perfect" anything... Expansion from our own narrow, egocentric view always improves our understanding and appreciation of an entity. You will always see something I don't and vice-versa. Comparing perspectives (and discovering our misperspectives) give us a greater appreciation and understanding of the franchise, and, more importantly, what it could be. 

So the secret is to make talks like this as productive and interactive as possible. The more cogent a force the fan-base becomes, the more possibility it will have for a positive impact.

Ps. Can my perfect dream Sonic show have Batman in it? Batman is to fiction as bacon is to food - everything is better with some thick suculant slices of broody Dark Knight!  :awesome:  

#9 Hammer

Hammer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think I'm going to copy-paste an old post I made in "If there is a next Sonic show..." It summarises everything I would expect. But hey, I'm being realistic: in no way would SatAM characters and/or concepts appear. Do you really think modern-day SEGA would allow it?

I would like it to be a retelling of the games, following the true canon, but also telling its own stories.

I think that's the perfect way to adapt a videogame: have the original characters, the original setting, add a new supporting cast, tell stories which fit in the continuity and, every now and then, have a two or three part episode which directly adapts a game.

Example:

01 - Present the setting and premise, adapt Sonic 1, part 1
02 - Adapt Sonic 2, part 2
03, 04, 05 - Continue adding supporting cast and exploring the setting. A bit of filler is sometimes nice.
06 - Adapt Sonic 2, part 1 (add Tails)
07 - Adapt Sonic 2, part 2
08, 09, 10 - Explore Sonic and Tails's relationship. A few filler missions. Add depth to the supporting cast.
11 - Adapt Sonic 3 & Knuckles, part 1
12 - Adapt Sonic 3 & Knuckles, part 2
13 - Adapt Sonic 3 & Knuckles, part 3

End of Season 1.

#10 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ps. Can my perfect dream Sonic show have Batman in it? Batman is to fiction as bacon is to food - everything is better with some thick suculant slices of broody Dark Knight!  :awesome:  

Bacon Shakes are terrible.

And as far as I'm concerned so is "Beware the Batman".  

But sure, why not?  He's the *blankity-blank* Batman. 

#11 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

But hey, I'm being realistic: in no way would SatAM characters and/or concepts appear. Do you really think modern-day SEGA would allow it?

Honestly, I think Sega doesn't mind the characters. They're still in the Archie series, aren't they? If Sega wanted them gone, they would've done it a long time ago.

Concepts, on the other hand, are a bit iffy. You can probably have stuff like the Mobotropolis coup, Knothole Village, and the Mobius origin story as long as it doesn't contradict anything in the games (despite the games themselves having contradictions). If anything, this is the new direction the Archie series seems to be heading; basically adding SatAM elements into the SegaSonic universe.

In fact, it might be due to the official games' backstory (i.e. Sonic and Tails being orphans) that the characters aren't allowed to bring up their parents. Uncle Chuck seems to be an exception though, considering he's the one who raised Sonic.

#12 Hammer

Hammer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Honestly, I think Sega doesn't mind the characters. They're still in the Archie series, aren't they? If Sega wanted them gone, they would've done it a long time ago.

Who has the rights to the characters themselves? I suppose that they gave Archie too much creative control, and now they can't just wipe them out.

But if a new "perfect" series is made, I'm sure SEGA would want to have full control over its content and characters.

#13 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Who has the rights to the characters themselves? I suppose that they gave Archie too much creative control, and now they can't just wipe them out.

But if a new "perfect" series is made, I'm sure SEGA would want to have full control over its content and characters.

Considering Sonic Mega Collection advertised the Comic and for a while the Archie Characters were on the English SEGA Sonic site, I don't believe SEGA has any desire to ruin/wipe out/remove the characters.  

I think the it's just the opposite in fact.  Likely their trying to over market the characters just like the others Sonic Characters, but just leaving them limited to the comics.  

#14 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

This Topic may sound similar to "If There was another Sonic show..." . If you were able to create the perfect Sonic TV show, what would it be, be specific. Personally, I would like the TV show to be based off of the New Universe of the Sonic Archie Comic. Ian would be the writer, Tracy Yardley will be the artist, with the same animation team From "The Legend of Korra."

To me: I would make my own Sonic TV series, something dark elements, not too dark.. maybe an little bit lighter.. make it unbelievable... something right for the audiences to enjoy. 

Like.. if my dreams come true.. I'd wrote the pilot script or a couple of more, story telling to the production team, and producing the TV series. And I also would like to make it anime (made in japan) and be made from the anime studios call BONES. They made great anime shows like: Fullmetal Alchemist, FMA: Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Cowboy Bebop,  Wolf's Rain, and Eureka Seven. And hoping to make this series to aim for teenagers ages 13 and up.. not too intense. And the story be base of what I've wrote.. I haven't wrote my pilot script.. But, there's a plot summary in my topic somewhere :

http://sonicsatam.co...?showtopic=3722

#15 Hammer

Hammer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

I suppose that a new series would have to be made with SEGA's strict supervision.

I mean: imagine that a new series is made, it becomes super-popular, and it ends up having a fanbase like the one MLPFIM has.

SEGA would want to have creative control over the characters and concepts, and maybe be able to add them to the games, sell merchandise and get all the profit, or whatever.

#16 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I suppose that a new series would have to be made with SEGA's strict supervision.

I mean: imagine that a new series is made, it becomes super-popular, and it ends up having a fanbase like the one MLPFIM has.

SEGA would want to have creative control over the characters and concepts, and maybe be able to add them to the games, sell merchandise and get all the profit, or whatever.

But even MLP listens to fans at times, say if we ask for the SatAM characters to be recognized they'd probably say no.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#17 Hammer

Hammer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

But even MLP listens to fans at times, say if we ask for the SatAM characters to be recognized they'd probably say no.

It would be weird if they said yes. But think of it that way: SEGA knows that, in a next Sonic show, they can introduce new characters which can become really popular and generate lots of MONEY. It's better if they have the rights, so all the money goes to them.

Heck, they could even make the company sign a contract which forces them to give the rights to SEGA, or divide profits at 10-90 or 20-80.

#18 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

It would be weird if they said yes. But think of it that way: SEGA knows that, in a next Sonic show, they can introduce new characters which can become really popular and generate lots of MONEY. It's better if they have the rights, so all the money goes to them.

Heck, they could even make the company sign a contract which forces them to give the rights to SEGA, or divide profits at 10-90 or 20-80.

They could... though they would have done that by now

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#19 Louis the Hedgehog

Louis the Hedgehog

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

You know, what we COULD do is somehow convince SEGA that these characters have to potential to GREATLY inprove revenues. Then maybe they'd do it. Question is, HOW?

A petition to keep up to a third of the characters in the sonic comics from being lost forever.

https://www.change.o...-hedgehog-comic

To those who want to give this "new direction" a chance, don't say I didn't warn you.

#20 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

You know, what we COULD do is somehow convince SEGA that these characters have to potential to GREATLY inprove revenues. Then maybe they'd do it. Question is, HOW?

Even if we were able to convince them, Sega wouldnt cause of their hatred of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users