Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

Photo

The Florist Who Said "no" To Gay Wedding...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

But you can't just refuse anyone for whatever reason you like. If you could, the American South would probably still be full of businesses with signs saying "no coloreds".

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 says:

All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

"Sexual orientation" would be an appropriate addition to that, I think, in which case the florist would obviously legally be in the wrong. As it stands now, though, it probably depends on jurisdiction.

#22 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

But you can't just refuse anyone for whatever reason you like. If you could, the American South would probably still be full of businesses with signs saying "no coloreds".

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 says:

All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

"Sexual orientation" would be an appropriate addition to that, I think, in which case the florist would obviously legally be in the wrong. As it stands now, though, it probably depends on jurisdiction.

But this would be based on refusal of serving Homosexual costumers period. Read the story again.

Robert Ingersoll and his partner, Curt Freed, had been buying flowers from Arleneā€™s for nearly a decade when Ingersoll asked Barronelle Stutzman to provide flowers for their upcoming wedding in September, according to the couple's attorneys.

She ISN'T refusing gay costumers. She's refusing just the one thing. She isn't denying their patronage. She is denying doing a job she does not believe is appropriate. Which is her right. She CANNOT be forced to accept their request.

It would be the same as if an artist refused to draw nude pictures or and photographer from taking nude photos. She is not refusing to sell to them. She's just refusing one job that she doesn't feel comfortable doing because of her religion.

#23 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

But this would be based on refusal of serving Homosexual costumers period. Read the story again.

It's not very nice to assume I have a reading comprehension problem. I'm just saying that she is still discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. Two straight people getting married, no problem. Two gay people getting married, problem. The variable that caused the "problem" was "they are gay".

#24 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Which should not hold any more right then her religion.

Basically what I'm getting from you is that it is "not okay" for a gay couple to be discriminated against just because they're gay but it is "okay" for a religious person to be discriminated against because religion is a choice. You should not have to hide your religion because of prejudice just like you should not have to hide your sexuality because of prejudice.

She should be allowed to make decisions based on her religious beliefs. It is infringement on her rights to say her religion (aka her beliefs that gay marriage is not okay) are not as important as the gay couple's beliefs (that gay marriage is okay). It's not like she was attacking them. She exercise her right to Free Speech and her right to practice her religion (both constitutional rights) and said because of her religion she didn't want to provide the flowers for their wedding. There are OTHER stores. She should NOT have to give in to their desires just because it was her choice to be the religion that she is.

#25 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

And I say again that her right to practice her religion ends when it infringes on someone else's rights. Someone else's rights always take precedence over your own rights. My religion could say I have to murder a stranger on a certain day as part of a ritual, but my religious "right" would be overridden by the law that gives precedence to other people's right to life.

Also, it's not like she has no choice if she wants to practice her religion either. She has the choice of not running a store at all.

#26 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

But she should not have to choose between the two. You shouldn't have to give up work or religion.

And the Couple had the choice of other stores. They just wanted her to do it.

Yes religion should never infringe someone else's rights, but neither should being homosexual. In fact on that note the homosexual couple is in the wrong as they technically infringed on two of her constitutional rights while she only infringed on one of theirs (technically you could add "pursuit of happiness" to both parties...but that's cheating).

#27 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

One should never cross their religious convictions. To do so is to lie to one's self and make a fool of one's self in front of God. If someone says "sorry, I can't do that because of my religious convictions", that should be the end of the discussion. She could perhaps refer them to someone else, but that's just going out of her way...

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

#28 SonicAaliyahFan

SonicAaliyahFan

HUGE fan of Sonic and the late singer Aaliyah!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Though it was wrong for the florist to discriminate, she also had a right to defend her religious beliefs as well. And like some of you said, the gay couple could've found another store that would've proudly accepted their sexual preference, and the florist could've handled the situation more appropriately without offense. That's my point of view

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users