Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Shadow : (20 April 2021 - 11:59 PM)

I lurk but am mainly on the discord server

@  Altair the D... : (20 April 2021 - 08:44 AM)

I think that describes most of us, eh? ;)

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 April 2021 - 05:46 AM)

Physically, yes. Mentally...that's debatable...

@  furrykef : (19 April 2021 - 03:14 PM)

Me.

@  Altair the D... : (19 April 2021 - 09:18 AM)

*dragonhorse noises* Anyone still here?

@  furrykef : (28 March 2021 - 10:26 AM)

Somebody here tried contacting me on the IRC chat this morning while I was asleep. Please try again, or contact me on Discord (furrykef#4595).

@  furrykef : (08 March 2021 - 08:38 AM)

I'm not a monkey. I'm a cat. Even though my avatar is a duck.

@  Nex : (02 March 2021 - 07:50 AM)

Heya me monkeys! So we're working on a rebuild of FUS and i'm looking to get some feedback on what stuff you guys would like to see preserved/added/removed etc. Started a thread in the General channel. Cheers!

@  Julayla Tova... : (26 February 2021 - 10:30 AM)

Oh hey, long time no see, Roland.

@  furrykef : (17 February 2021 - 04:04 PM)

Back up to 54 (12.2 C) now. Woo.

@  furrykef : (17 February 2021 - 06:00 AM)

42 F (5.6 C) in this house. We've seen better days...

@  John Roberts : (14 February 2021 - 08:56 PM)

Can't get him on him email. Was hoping he had something in his profile somewhere. I really miss the bastard.

@  Prime : (14 February 2021 - 08:50 PM)

Oh John you naughty bugger you.

@  John Roberts : (14 February 2021 - 08:48 PM)

No no, that was me. I fucked it. Trying to dig up Jimmy's contact details.

@  Prime : (14 February 2021 - 08:45 PM)

Oh man, is it really you?

@  Prime : (14 February 2021 - 08:45 PM)

JIM!

@  Jim Doe : (14 February 2021 - 08:40 PM)

I hope not. Me and Paul should've been banned a long time ago reading those old, OLD posts.

@  furrykef : (14 February 2021 - 08:23 PM)

Isn't someone somewhere supposed to still have the database? Assuming it hasn't gone foop in the past few years...

@  Julayla Tova... : (14 February 2021 - 06:14 PM)

I am not, those are pretty much records of what Joan/Iselyn was like before they created us and disappeared for 12 years.

@  John Roberts : (12 February 2021 - 04:28 AM)

I'm glad the older posts are long dead and buried.

Photo

Satam Reconstructed.

• Please log in to reply
572 replies to this topic

#1 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

This game is simple. You ask a question about a plot point, issue, or anything that left you confused or nit-picking from the original series. Then, everyone else tries to come up with an interesting, exciting, and intelligent answer for it. It's not a game about criticizing - it's all about improving.

I'll go first.

In a world where the majority of the population is Roboticized, why does Robotnik consume so much resources and builds so much industry? What needs are being met by all this industry in a world with only Robians (who don't sleep, eat, drink, buy yo-yo's, ect.)?

#2 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

This game is simple. You ask a question about a plot point, issue, or anything that left you confused or nit-picking from the original series. Then, everyone else tries to come up with an interesting, exciting, and intelligent answer for it. It's not a game about criticizing - it's all about improving.

I'll go first.

In a world where the majority of the population is Roboticized, why does Robotnik consume so much resources and builds so much industry? What needs are being met by all this industry in a world with only Robians (who don't sleep, eat, drink, buy yo-yo's, ect.)?

For Robotnik to fully conquer Mobius, he must build more factories to expand his military forces in order to secure certain parts of the planet which he hasn't conquered yet. He might've taken over one major city, but that doesn't mean he possesses the whole world. There might be other kingdoms and nations left to conquer. He just hasn't got the time due to his current obsession to wipe out the Knothole Freedom Fighters once and for all.

Oddly enough, "Sonic Underground" answered the next question. In the series, Robotnik is a money-grubbing tyrant who collects taxes from wealthy politicians and aristocrats to build his industries; promising them better security. And in exchange, he leaves them unroboticized. If he were to roboticize them, he may lose a hefty supplier and all the profits would he handed over to the next inheritor (who may or may not be allied with the resistance).

SatAM never bothered to answer that question, but since I view "Underground" as a spin-off series, the explanation still works by my book.

Now here's my question:

Sally received a message from her father and found evidence of him in Ironlock Prison while investigating the Dark Swamp in "Sonic Boom". How can that be when her father was sent into The Void way back in "Blast to the Past: Part II"? Also, why was the cell booby-trapped? And what was the deal with that robot disguised as a monster?

I can think of a few explanations, but I'd like to hear from others first.

#3 Captain Sorzo

Captain Sorzo

The Captain

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

My preferred answer to the original question is a very complex one that I don't fully understand myself, one based more on thematic reasons than literal ones. It essentially revolves around the concept of an individual (Robotnik in this case) being enslaved to industry, rather than the other way around. It's based off of some rather confusing philosophical writings I had to read last year. I think I've got a slightly better explanation written down somewhere. I'll try to post it later.

The easiest explanation for King Max being in Ironlock is that, by traveling back in time, Sonic and Sally create an altered timeline, in which the rest of the series takes place. "Sonic Boom" takes place in the original, unaltered timeline. It's entirely possible that Max originally was never cast into the Void, or that he was originally held in Ironlock for a time before being sent there.

That said, it is difficult to determine a specific action taken by our intrepid duo of time travelers that led to these changes. It could have been any number of minor things, with the Butterfly Effect working from there.

Rosie's fate is already indication that everything set after Blast to the Past is in a different timeline. It's not unreasonable to assume that there were other changes as well. And yes, before something brings it up, this means that Robotnik's arm would have originally been roboticized in some other way. Having Sonic be responsible is still significant, however, as it worsens Robotnik's obsession with the hated hedgehog to the point that it helps lead to his downfall.

I'm not sure how the cell being booby trapped is significant one way or another. That said, I'm fairly sure there's a required quota of booby traps in terrifying, ancient dungeons.

The robot-monster could have been a cast away experiment of Robotnik's, perhaps as part of a program to imitate organic life using machines, whether for espionage or to prove a philosophical point.

I can't think of any questions myself off the top of my head. I've rationalized most of the questions the series raised.

57677ee618a4a_FSOMBanner.jpg.004b52a1171

Story updates and more now available at Free Scribes of Mobius!

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

The easiest explanation for King Max being in Ironlock is that, by traveling back in time, Sonic and Sally create an altered timeline, in which the rest of the series takes place. "Sonic Boom" takes place in the original, unaltered timeline. It's entirely possible that Max originally was never cast into the Void, or that he was originally held in Ironlock for a time before being sent there.

Huh. I never thought of it that way, but yeah... That could easily be the answer.

My original theory was that the secret chamber leading to the Void was hidden somewhere within Ironlock where no one would suspect it. Or that King Acorn was originally held prisoner inside Ironlock for some time before Robotnik decided to banish him.

#5 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Here is an answer for the Robot Monster:

I assume the Monster was actually the "moat alligator" of the Prison.  It's a giant Monster pretty much designed to execute or capture prisoners, wandering the lower levels of the facility.  Perhaps the original owners would execute escapees or considering it tried to eat them yet considering it was mostly a sheet on a robotic body, that this might be a scare tactic to keep prisoners from trying to escape.  

Who said it was Robotnik's?  Remember IronLock Is a prison, but it isn't necessarily Robotnik's prison (since there were no prisoners or guards save the one in question).  Perhaps the Mobians or even somebody else owned the prison.  

As for the Booby Trap:  

Consider why any prisoners in IronLock would have access to a computer?  Likely the computer was designed for the guards' usage.  If any prisoners tried to use it to escape, there was a chance they'd trigger the trap door and be caught by the monster.  The door would still be barred to help keep Prisoners out.

Alternate Theory for both:

Considering Sonic claims it stinks where they landed, and because it looks highly like a sewer system, it's possible that the room with the computer is a waste disposal room.  The computer's age (considering it would even be considered Ancient compared to the technology from Blast to the Past) was probably a simple system for running the disposal and nothing more.  The monster then perhaps the acting garbage disposal.  Considering he does attempt to eat them yet clearly they can bust right out since he's mostly a sheet on a robot body, "eating" things must serve some other purpose.  

#6 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,634 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

I always wanted to know this:

HOW was Robotnik able to hide his true intentions all long and not even a single person suspected anything and if he took over the city wouldnt he have been able to figure out Knothole's loaction via something in the castle (like a note or a map of the kingdom?)

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#7 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

I always thought Knothole was a secret escape for the royal family. Only the members and their care takers know the location.

As for Robotnik's rise to power, remember this was after a war. All the robots were likely disguised as either defensive robots or clean up. Even Aerial bots started as security bots. Perhaps robotnik didn't make them but modified them

#8 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,634 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

I always thought Knothole was a secret escape for the royal family. Only the members and their care takers know the location.

As for Robotnik's rise to power, remember this was after a war. All the robots were likely disguised as either defensive robots or clean up. Even Aerial bots started as security bots. Perhaps robotnik didn't make them but modified them

I was thinking but still there had to be a way he could have found out

Still, the fact that he got away with it and no one suspected anything

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#9 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

HOW was Robotnik able to hide his true intentions all long and not even a single person suspected anything and if he took over the city wouldn’t he have been able to figure out Knothole's location via something in the castle (like a note or a map of the kingdom?)

Knothole's origin is indeed nebulous. Because of this it's subject to the trope Shrodinger's Gun ("the world of a fictional universe isn't fixed beyond what the author has revealed to the reader" - Tv Tropes).

Essentially, we can come up with various explanations. Sea3on opens us up to the idea that at least one Mobian (Queen Nicole) is suspicious of Robotnik: suspicion of character, xenophobia, and even racial mistrust could be motivations for certain Mobians to keep such things a secret.  Knothole has some very a unique architecture and rustic layout, it seems ancient and odd. Perhaps the place is of some sacred, historical, and cultural significance, telling an "outsider" about it could've been taboo or a political firestorm. King Max has a knack for being naive and overly Roussiane (who the Hell orders the disbanding of their entire military?). He wants to see the best in people, even the one's who are about stab his people in the back. As we know, no monarchy is truly absolute - the people's consent and intrigue can always shake things up - and Max could refrain from telling ole Julian everything for just that reason. He trusts him - but a good portion of his people don't. His own agenda's would be hampered and generate political tension in the kingdom if executed too quickly.

What do you guys think?

#10 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

That's true. I believe it was stated in the show once. And most royal retreats are kept secret so that they won't be disturbed or tracked down by the enemy.

Though, I don't see why Robotnik didn't simply bulldoze the forest or nuke it to oblivion if he was that desperate to get rid of them. He must've seen an opportunity in capturing the Freedom Fighters alive. Perhaps he planned to preserve the forest for his logging industries?

#11 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

He has tried to destroy the forest before (with that weird tree-absorbing machine). But is foiled everytime. Bombing the snot out of the forest could be prevented by Dulcy, an issue of massivity of the forest vs. Robotnik's resources, a want of a specific resouce, or a want to Roboticize the Freedom Fighters to obtain their apptitudes for his own future agendas.

#12 Captain Sorzo

Captain Sorzo

The Captain

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

I was under the impression that Knothole was a shelter set up for refugees in the event the war took a turn for the worse. Keeping its location secret from the military, and by extension Robotnik, makes sense, as any knowledge they held was vulnerable to interrogation in the event of capture.

As for why Robotnik doesn't just bomb the Great Forest or use some similar method of mass destruction, part of it is a matter of pride. He wants to defeat the Freedom Fighters directly, on his own terms, rather than having to resort to something more impersonal. Snively has similar reasons in Sea3on. Though more willing to do whatever it takes, he ultimately wants to prove to himself that he can accomplish what his hated uncle could not and thus places similar limitations on himself.

The main reason, however, is once again more thematic than literal. The core conflict in the series is in many respects one of freedom versus enslavement. Roboticization is the embodiment of the latter, not death. For evil to win, the heroes must not be conquered only physically, but mentally and spiritually. Only by truly breaking them can Robotnik achieve total victory.

This is also why Robotnik only attempts to kill using firearms as a last resort, preferring capture and Roboticization. Though it would provide more satisfaction than a weapon of mass destruction, even direct killing is insufficient to truly defeat an opponent.

57677ee618a4a_FSOMBanner.jpg.004b52a1171

Story updates and more now available at Free Scribes of Mobius!

#13 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

I was under the impression that Knothole was a shelter set up for refugees in the event the war took a turn for the worse. Keeping its location secret from the military, and by extension Robotnik, makes sense, as any knowledge they held was vulnerable to interrogation in the event of capture.

As for why Robotnik doesn't just bomb the Great Forest or use some similar method of mass destruction, part of it is a matter of pride. He wants to defeat the Freedom Fighters directly, on his own terms, rather than having to resort to something more impersonal. Snively has similar reasons in Sea3on. Though more willing to do whatever it takes, he ultimately wants to prove to himself that he can accomplish what his hated uncle could not and thus places similar limitations on himself.

The main reason, however, is once again more thematic than literal. The core conflict in the series is in many respects one of freedom versus enslavement. Roboticization is the embodiment of the latter, not death. For evil to win, the heroes must not be conquered only physically, but mentally and spiritually. Only by truly breaking them can Robotnik achieve total victory.

This is also why Robotnik only attempts to kill using firearms as a last resort, preferring capture and Roboticization. Though it would provide more satisfaction than a weapon of mass destruction, even direct killing is insufficient to truly defeat an opponent.

I think if you layer this with more enforced literal reasons it would play off real well. Have it to where Robotnik gives a luandry list of the reasons I have mentioned then get to the big "besides, I want to make a point." He must prove his idealogy over there's. Not make martyrs. He only sometimes wants to blow Sonic's head off when he is irationally fueled with revenge (which could create some awesome internal conflic by the way, remember when he had the chance to kill Sonic at the risk of blowing up himself and Snivly)? I loved that scene.

You guys are inspiring me to write something out of all this...

#14 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think if you layer this with more enforced literal reasons it would play off real well. Have it to where Robotnik gives a luandry list of the reasons I have mentioned then get to the big "besides, I want to make a point." He must prove his idealogy over there's. Not make martyrs. He only sometimes wants to blow Sonic's head off when he is irationally fueled with revenge (which could create some awesome internal conflic by the way, remember when he had the chance to kill Sonic at the risk of blowing up himself and Snivly)? I loved that scene.

You guys are inspiring me to write something out of all this...

It's the theory that in order to rule, you need something to rule over.  Robotnik likely is only interested in enslaving them because they are resisting.  Remember he says once, "In this game the losers get Robotisized" or something to that extent.  This hints at perhaps there are those who aren't resisting him that he keeps around for kicks.  And to keep them in line, he has to destroy the competition but in a way that they don't become Martyrs.  

#15 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

It's the theory that in order to rule, you need something to rule over.  Robotnik likely is only interested in enslaving them because they are resisting. Remember he says once, "In this game the losers get Robotisized" or something to that extent.  This hints at perhaps there are those who aren't resisting him that he keeps around for kicks.  And to keep them in line, he has to destroy the competition but in a way that they don't become Martyrs.

Aristocrats and politicians perhaps? Bounty hunters and sub-bosses could also count I suppose. Lackeys, on the other hand, are on the border line for being roboticized due to their failures.

#16 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Aristocrats and politicians perhaps? Bounty hunters and sub-bosses could also count I suppose. Lackeys, on the other hand, are on the border line for being roboticized due to their failures.

True.  But at the same time, Robotnik has tricked Mobians into doing his dirty work before (Ari), he may have Mobian Lackeys as well that are more useful at the moment not Roboticized.  Clearly when that use runs out they will be Roboticized but until then...

#17 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Here is one for you guys.

What do you think is the source of Sonic's superhuman ability? As you know, it has never been entertained in the show. And how extensive are those abilities? Super human speed has to come with some form of protection and quick perception to be safe and practical, right?

#18 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,634 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Ring energy?

#19 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Ring energy?

From what I know the rings were magical in origin. If they empower Sonic, does that mean his powers are correlated with magic? Lazaar nullified his powers with magic as well.

I'd bet this is the source of his powers.  

#20 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ring energy?

From what I know the rings were magical in origin. If they empower Sonic, does that mean his powers are correlated with magic? Lazaar nullified his powers with magic as well.

I'd bet this is the source of his powers.  

Nope.  According to Heads or Tails, Chuck Made the Power Rings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users