Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

Brain Dead: The Jahi Mcmath Case.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,562 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm sure some of you have heard this case. a 13-year old girl in Cali. was declared brain dead nearly 3 weeks ago in an Oakland hospital. The family wants to keep her alive, yet the hospital says that there's nothing they can do. Quoting "No amount of prayer, no amount of hope, no amount of any type of medical procedure will bring her back." But the parents and family believe there's a miracle that will save her.

One thing i'm pointing out: The family has received over $50K in donations. Some think they are profiting off of this.

Weigh in on this.

My Two cents: Originally i thought they wanted to keep her alive for a few more days so they could say their final goodbyes and such. But now i think its gotten outta hand. She's brain dead. There's nothing they can do for her now.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#2 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,545 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

I believe it's the family's call to let her die or to keep her alive. Regardless how expensive or futile it may seem, nobody but the family even have the right to make the decision.  

Personally I believe everyone has a time when they are supposed to die, and that the family should consider that it's time to let her go, but that's their decision not the hospitals.  I know you need money to keep medical facilities running, but a hospital's job isn't to make money it's to help sick/injured people, so regardless on how expensive it is, they are bound by their oath's as doctors to do everything they can.  If there is nothing else they can do, then they have to wait for the family to decide and should have no say about what happens.  

#3 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Stories like this really tear me apart.

If I could see the data from an EEG or an FMRI I could tell you if there is any hope or not; from my training I am guessing that the hindbrain is still alive, but all 'higher' areas of the brain are dead; therefore she is dead, but the pons, medulla, and other parts of the hindbrain are still keeping the body alive. The gruesome part if I'm right 'unplugging' her will result in the body starving to death. Until they do an EEG or something similar and release it; this is going to just make it harder on her loved ones.

I know in the Terry Schivo (sp) case it became a huge media storm, if they would've just released the EEG info, (which they did after the fact), it would've made the case clear-cut and saved a lot of emotional trauma.

I feel for her family and pray for them, but unless we see synaptic activity at the very basic level she's already gone; it's the sad, honest truth; at least they are getting the chance to say goodbye. I hope the quacks that botched her surgery lose their licenses and get some jail time out of this; there is no excuse for this level of incompetence.

I'd like more info on this, but I will work with what I have.

"For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When this corruptible is clothed with incorruptibility, and this mortal is clothed with immortality, then the saying that is written will take place: Death has been swallowed up in victory." 1 Corinthians 15:53-54.

"It is appointed for people to die once--and after this, judgment--" - Hebrews 9:27

Red is right is about us having to die, and that only an emotionally ignorant and cold person would just cut the knot before these people pass into acceptance. Do I think that they do need to pull the plug? If there is absolutely no chance of her being alive: In time...in time... But wait until they are psychologically stable enough and until multiple medical professionals are indeed truthfully certain (if not already).  

I also fear for how others will be effected via the sensational media that will turn this into an oversimplified, overgenralized, and propagandized Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life debate. I can see the Bill Mears and Bill O'Riellys of the world ripe and ready to exploit to their own idealoguery and agendas.

If she is truly brain dead, she is gone. She isn't there any more, she is with the Lord. They have done the right thing, the Pro-Life thing, by fighting for her life, but if there is no life to fight for, if she is truly gone...Give them the time necessary to make that decision. But if l'il Jahi is not truly brain dead, then we're still achieving the same mistake in the end. We're playing God, and playing fast and loose with life, which will come back to bite his about the throat.

I don't see how they could be profiting from this Ben. You lost two people you care for recently...Tell me, if someone gave you 50K would you feel it to be a profit in lieu of such a loss? If they were given billions it would be still be a deficit, they can't buy her back. All they can do with that money is bide time for them to go from denial to acceptance, make funeral arrangements, and to make sure those malpracticing neophytes get a big legal backhand about the face (if it is their fualt and not some fluke like a strange allergy perhaps).  

Tell me Ben, are these people Continuationalists/Charismatics (think TBN)? If so, this will worsen the problem. Charismatics would blithely ignore the biblical view on this and seek a miracle that is out of God's will. As the verses say above, it's our lot to die just much as the acorn must perish if from it's present form for the oak to come into being and grow. All true prayers end in "thy will be done," not "my will be done." To ask God to do something against his own ends is a blasphmey. You might say "not today" but when God says it...you can't stop him.

#4 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,562 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Tell me Ben, are these people Continuationalists/Charismatics (think TBN)? If so, this will worsen the problem. Charismatics would blithely ignore the biblical view on this and seek a miracle that is out of God's will. As the verses say above, it's our lot to die just much as the acorn must perish if from it's present form for the oak to come into being and grow. All true prayers end in "thy will be done," not "my will be done." To ask God to do something against his own ends is a blasphmey. You might say "not today" but when God says it...you can't stop him.

I don't see how they could be profiting from this Ben. You lost two people you care for recently...Tell me, if someone gave you 50K would you feel it to be a profit in lieu of such a loss? If they were given billions it would be still be a deficit, they can't buy her back. All they can do with that money is bide time for them to go from denial to acceptance, make funeral arrangements, and to make sure those malpracticing neophytes get a big legal backhand about the face (if it is their fualt and not some fluke like a strange allergy perhaps).  

I didnt say i think they were profiting from this, i said some people believe they are profiting from this (look on CNN). I honestly dont think they are. But i think they are dragging this on longer than they need to be.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#5 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I didnt say i think they were profiting from this, i said some people believe they are profiting from this (look on CNN). I honestly dont think they are. But i think they are dragging this on longer than they need to be.

I know...but you were seemingly considering that an option, which isn't really necessary to consider. Whoever even mentioned it should be slapped about the head. 

Yes, but that's you not them. Give them a chance to heal from grief and towards acceptance on their own terms. It's not like she's trapped in her own head and we have to, as the old calloused saying goes, "put her out of her misery". Ben. she is gone already. I say yes if she is truly brain dead...but they have a grave and psychologically tortourus decision forced upon them by fault of medical malpractice and to multiply their suffering beyond necessity (or God fobiden some liberal, hackeneyed ideal about euthanasia and choice like some will draw this out to be, a.k.a CNN). They have to let her go, without her seemingly being gone. They will only become truamatized and defensive, worsening their denial, if politicos and uncrtical people intervine.

#6 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'd like more info on this, but I will work with what I have.

Der Gehirn:

brain2.jpg

Without going into a full physiological psychology lecture, I'll use this picture, (sorry Vlad), to show what I'm talking about.

The brown area in the top picture at the base of the skull is what is known as the hindbrain or rhombencephalon, brain stem, bulb, etc...; this is the part of the brain that if it gets damaged you are dead, period; no amount of life support can keep you alive. For what has happened to her, what is above the hindbrain has died; especially what is in the frontal lobe.

The hindbrain contains the cerebellum, (which takes care of motor control, balance, and coordination), The Pons, (which relays signals from the forebrain to the cerebellum as well as regulating: sleep, respiration, swallowing, bladder control, hearing, equilibrium, taste, eye movement, facial expressions, facial sensation, and posture), finally the Medulla Oblongata is at the base of the brain stem and is considered to be the most animalistic part of the brain and takes care of most autonomous nervous system; (respiration, the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system, cardiac and blood pressure, and also involuntary actions such as sneezing, swallowing, etc. to name a few). In other words, you hurt your medulla severe enough, it's over, you don't breath and your heart stops.

For her, she might 'wake up' and look around and make noises, but unless there is any activity in the frontal parts of the brain, even the hippocampus, she is dead, just her hindbrain is keeping her body alive.

I was speaking more about their results in the matter. I'm aware of the anatomy of the brain (though other's might not be and need to know this for refrence).

They should publicized the results of the EEG so other medical professionals could give their multiple opinions and look into this...If not, suspicion is warranted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users