Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chief : (16 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

I just spent way too much money for paper with words written on it

https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

@  Wulfsbane : (15 June 2019 - 06:12 PM)

As long as it wasnt GSW or Lebron...

@  Shadow : (13 June 2019 - 09:34 PM)

The Raptors won the NBA!

@  Sunnyfruit : (12 June 2019 - 02:44 PM)

Uh... I like video games too, but this is too much

@  GamemasterAn... : (12 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

...and everyone is freaking out over that reveal. Dear Gaia...the reaction of the people at the Nintendo Center in NYC. People were actually HUGGING each other over that reveal!

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:46 PM)

Banjo-Kazooie is coming home, lads

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:17 AM)

The E3 Nintendo Direct starts in 45 minutes

@  chief : (10 June 2019 - 07:30 PM)

Oh we have controversial topic forum..Those have always existed. And I'm for that. Just keep personal user to user shit off the forums.

the Controversial topic thing would fall under "debate" now I guess. I had some good times in those forums with a few members.

@  chief : (10 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

Yeah....I saw that...Blew game 6

@  Wulfsbane : (09 June 2019 - 07:35 PM)

Hey chief, we got a Game 7 on Wednesday

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 June 2019 - 09:28 AM)

Not really pressed about it, so it's no biggie to me. I'm only here for the S3 comic at this point, and maybe continuing to post mine. It's just too dead around here, and people are either too lazy, too occupied, or too afraid to share opinions as if words from feedback or response are going to hop out of the screen and attack them or something.

I'm an old ass man.... :(

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 June 2019 - 09:19 AM)

They generally don't last long on forums where management isn't objective about running a forum. People generally don't have the restrain/discipline to not mod it. Someone's going to catch feelings, disregarding the thousand disclaimers on the front post of the section and still hit up the admins whining about the hurty things that mean man x said to them. And the admins will feel obliged to do something about it, when ignoring it is definitely an option.

Again, generally speaking, people want the good of things and not the bad or the drawbacks that come with it. It's why facebook and twitter have like buttons, but no dislike button. It's why youtube demonitizes wrongspeak. It's why forums ban people for private disputes between members despite the fact that there's every tool under the sun to stop a person from bothering them available to users. It's anti hate speech is considered a thing to uphold, when hate speech is free speech, no exceptions. It's why politics are a mess. For society, the message is clear, whine until you get your way, and the lowest common denominator being as loud as they are will set the precedent for everyone else despite able bodies. For all this acting like adults thing that society pushes, society at large doesn't expect anyone to actually BE one.

@  Shadow : (09 June 2019 - 07:56 AM)

Didn't we have a controversial/rant rave section of the forum at one point

@  chief : (08 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

Lets try to keep any personal issues out of the shoutbox. Or forums all together.

@  ShenFNWoo : (07 June 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Nothing much. Just wanted to make sure a certain person didn't get the wrong idea about how it is between us. I don't forget certain details, and things don't change no matter how much time passes unless they show some willingness to want to fix things.

@  furrykef : (07 June 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have no idea what's going on here.

@  ShenFNWoo : (07 June 2019 - 09:58 AM)

This will be my first time (without accident) speaking to you directly, so I want to make this perfectly clear: I have a strict policy on how to deal with people who block others without sufficient reason (aka running away from a zero conflict situation). We do not talk, we do not exchange ideas, and you are invisible to me possibly forever, depending on you. Communications with you in particular will reopen at a future time equivalent to the amount of time in which you've had me blocked thus far. In the mean time, I'll add you to my foe list, and/or manually disregard everything you say to me. Cheers! ^_^

@  Wulfsbane : (07 June 2019 - 06:24 AM)

They're pretty rabid

@  Wulfsbane : (07 June 2019 - 06:24 AM)

I mean have you seen some of his defenders?

@  ShenFNWoo : (07 June 2019 - 05:41 AM)

What example of ineptitude would pay 499$ for the artwork of a guy who helped bring ruin to the very comics he worked for?

Photo

Relating Songs To Satam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Koreth

Koreth

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

This may have been covered in a previous thread, but the notion is fresh in my mind, and many threads in this section are over a year old. Plus a great many songs have been newly released since the last time this topic was discussed.

This could be any song, and any relation you can come up with to SatAM, whether it's something simple, like the overal vibe of a song reminding you of a particular SatAM scene, or something as complex as being able to envision a complete music video that thematically works with SatAM, or anything between.

I'll start us off with "Doomed", by A Perfect Circle.

Youtube link:

Now, from the lyrics, it is pretty clearly a politically motivated middle finger. This isn't the debate forum so take all that, and throw it away. Cast the politics from your mind, and focus more on the vibe of the lyrics and how they fit with the song's dynamics and arrangement.

What I get from the song is an overall general vibe of Robotnik Triumphant.

But let's have some fun with this, and expand that. Imagine some scenes, some imagery to play in your head. Here's what I came up with last night. There's some influence here from Blast to the Past, and some stuff I just made up because I though it was cool.

Timestamps will be in the form of [1:23]. Lyrics will be "in quotes". (Descriptions of the music will be in parentheses). General imagery description will be just plain text. This isn't enough to do a complete music video storyboard, but it is what I could come up with that feels like an appropriate visual for the part of the song mentioned.

[0:26] (The drum solo goes from reverb-washed backround sound to a dry kick-based fill right in your face) A mobian wearing a uniform appropriate to a high ranking military official or trusted advisor, looking at his computer screen, gets that look of a dawning realization of "oh shit", as he realizes what he is seeing, and dashes of away from his desk, out of his room and into the adjacent hallway in a panicked, ungraceful scramble, taking off into a a sprint towards the camera, to the confused looks of those passing by. The hallway is one of the regal hallways of the palace.

[0:30] "Behold a new Christ." Scene cut to a darker room. Julian is now in his Robotnik outfit, donning his yellow cape.

[0:33] "Behold the same old horde." Pan to snively, who is installing an arm-mount laster cannon on one of the Peace Bots. Robotnik walks out of that room into another where we see ranks of PeaceSWATBots standing ready.

[0:43] "And the word was 'Death'. And the word was without light". Cut scene to a room becoming illuminated by flourescents  flickering to life and casting a sickly glow upon the roboticizer. PeaceBots can be seen working the control pannel, and the roboticizer begins to glow slightly as it powers up.

[0:56] (from after the first "You're on your own," a percussive instrument plays the E minor motif that we'll hear throughout the rest of the song) The high-rank uniformed mobian we saw before desperately is sprinting down the hallway on the approach to the throne room where King acorn is seeing Uncle Chuck, Sonic and Sally, Hollywood slowmo style. As he bursts into the antechamber where Sonic and Sally were waiting not to long ago,  He's ambushed by SWATBots, and knocked out by a stun before he reaches the other pair of doors. which brings us to...

[1:07] (guitar feedback squeal and the guitars return) Cut to the streets of Mobotropolis. All the mobians are fleeing in a blind panic in the streets, as the SWATBots collect them up.

[1:24] (The lyrics repeat a corrupted form of the Beatitudes from Matthew 5:3 in a call and response pattern, replacing the virtues from the original gospel with the seven deadly sins) "Blessed are the fornicates. May we bend down to be their whores..." Shots interspersed with Robotnik gloating in the throne room, and a scene with the roboticizer. The first line of a corrupted beatitude is the call, with the Robotnik shot. The response is the latter, where there's a line at the roboticizer of captured mobians, and a freshly roboticized mobian stepping off to join the other roboticized mobians. All of the roboticized mobians are repeating the response in unison. For each corrupted beatitude, the line of waiting mobians is shorter, and the number of roboticized mobians has increased. With the final beatitude, "Blessed are the gluttonous. May they feast us to famine and more," the final roboticized mobian is stepping off the roboticizer; no free mobians remain.

[1:51] (The song goes quiet, with just piano and some chimes playing) "What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful..." Cut back to the streets of mobotropolis. We see a a white fox woman with a similarly colored child of age maybe 5-7 in her arms, running around a corner into an alley, and finding something to hide behind; she must have escaped the first wave of captures. "What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful" She sets the child down and tries to silence and comfort him, finally hugging him tight. "All doomed..." shot cuts to above view, zooming out so you can see SWATBots rounding people up in the adjacent street, and a couple SWATBots closing on FoxMom's hiding place. "...all doomed." Scene cuts back to FoxMom and her child, a shadow falling across them gets her attention. She and the child look up fearfully, scene zooms out to bring the SWATBots arresting them into frame.

[2:29] (Bass and drums return to bring the pace of the song back up.) Fade to pan shots of Mobotropolis Robotropolis, now a polluted industrial city.

[2:45] "Behold the new Christ. Behold the same old horde." Cut to scene of Robotnik overseeing something from a catwalk. Pan out to see the roboticized mobians working tireless in a factory, working on various parts of hover units, the chassis, the engines, control panels, the overhead laser cannons, etc. Through various transitions, we see the hover units in various stages of completion, through to hover units in flight...

[2:59] "And the word was Death" ...the hover units in flight are taking shots at fleeing freedom fighters much like the scene when the Freedom fighters return to Robotropolis in Sonic and Sally[1]. But this is not necessarily that scene.

[3:10] (and again we're back to a softer passage with just volcals chimes and piano) "What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful? What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful?" Fade to scene panning across a block of cells, containing captured freedom fighters awaiting robotization, each looking forlorn and despairing.

[3:24] (the kick drum starts back in to build tension) "What of the righteous, what of the charitble? what of the truthful..." An explosion from offscreen and all the cell doors unlatch. Some other freedom fighters run in, start pulling the others out of cells and hustling them along. Others get the idea and start fleeing on their own. One of the rescuers is staying behind,  doing that whirling arm motion of 'go, go, go!' to keep people moving as they escape..."What of the dutiful..." ...and then only starts running after them once the last rescuee is on his way. "...the decent?". (The song goes silent for a pregnant pause). But the group comes to a halt as they reach the end of the hallway. From the angle we see that they're looking up fearfully at something. Camera pans around behind and low to bring into frame the armed SWATBots with laser rifles at the ready.

[3:40] (Guitar resumes with a short solo before the main guitar riff and lyrics return). Cut A shot of Sonic's face, angrily defiant right before he launches. Shots cut between sonic running forward toward Robotniks' headquarters, with shots of activity around the roboticizer. For the former, as Sonic runs forward, the upper torso of Robotnik fades in over the sky, grinning down at him triumphantly.  For the latter, shots of SWATBots loading struggling mobians we can't see onto the plaform, first-person shots of being in the tube as it comes down, capacitor banks charging, etc.

[4:07] (Guitar feedback squeal) A triumphantly grinning Robotnik at the roboticizer control, throws the activate lever( in time with the snare hit that opens the next measure at [4:09]), cut to the roboticizer going active, there are four figures loaded therein.

[4:10] Cut back to sonic running towards Robotropolis HQ, and Robotnik grinning back at him from the sky. speaking the lyrics to Sonic. "Doomed are the poor!" A fully roboticized Bunnie appears to Robotnik's side. "Doomed are the peaceful!" A fully roboticized Rotor appears. "Doomed are the meek!" A fully robotic Antoine appears. "Doomed are the merciful!" And a fully roboticized Sally appears. Robotnik continues to address Sonic directly with the remainder of the lyrics while the roboticized freedom fighters fade from view. With the final "You're on your own!", cut to sonic sprinting off frame, hard cut to black as the music stops.

Yes, I totally did just feed you two hope spots in that sequence and then snatch them right back away from you. Were you expecting a happy ending? The song is called "The Doomed."

Comments? Criticisms?

Wanna take your own go at relating a song to SatAM?

1. https://youtu.be/s3J7yCKiLvs?t=899

#2 GamemasterAnthony

GamemasterAnthony

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

How about a song that's a perfect theme for the Robians?

Three Days Grace - I Am Machine

#3 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Pretty nice. I like how the fates of Sonic, Tails, Dulcy and Uncle Chuck are left up in the air.

#4 Koreth

Koreth

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

How about a song that's a perfect theme for the Robians?

Three Days Grace - I Am Machine

This one's been on the local radio plenty. I think it's appropriate from multiple angles. First, take the lyrics mostly literally. That describes the robians pretty well. Stepping back from a mostly literal reading of the lyrics, the take I get from it is a protest at the erosion of one's humanity and empathy. This is also appropriate. Recall the condition of the robians. They are aware of what's going on, but their bodies are no longer under their own control; they are prisoners therein. All the time spent in that state would easily drive the less strong ones mad, and they'd eventually lose their sense of who they are or were, and come to outright identify with being a soulless machine. You could look at I am Machine being the internal protest of a robian who knows he's slipping towards that despair event horizon.

#5 Koreth

Koreth

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's a good many videos. What's your take on why they relate to SatAM and howso? Just titles? A straight reading of the lyrics? Reading between the lines of the lyrics? The emotional vibe you get from the arrangement?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users