Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Ishapar : (09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Shame to hear about that. How old was he?

@  RedG : (06 December 2019 - 06:04 PM)

Sorry to hear, Wulfsbane. My condolences.

@  Wulfsbane : (05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM)

My grandfather passed on the 17th.

@  chief : (30 November 2019 - 03:32 PM)

oh?

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

This year's Thanksgiving was a lot tougher than normal.

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

Same to you.

@  RedAuthar : (28 November 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Happy American Turkey Day

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

Photo

Ian Flynn Wants/wanted To Do This

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

Wait, everyone hated the Mecha Sally arc?  Yet another illustration of me being out of touch with the fanbase...  But I guess when I was reading it, I was like, I'm almost to the reboot!  (I got way, way behind, lol...)

Hated is an understatement really.

It was despised. The most hardcore Archie Sonic fans hated it too

But why?  Were fans upset because they didn't think Sally should be roboticized?  Was it because it went on too long?  Or was it because of the reference to "Where were you when the brains were handed out?" 

Do you want me to bring out the list? Cause I can go on as to why it was terrible

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#62 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:33 PM

See, I liked the notion of them having parents. it made them a bit more relatable

Issue was for me was the over-emphasis of Knuckles' family (looking at you) as well as Tails parents in House of Cards. I can go on about that one

I can go on how Tails' parents being revolutionaries was completely unnecessary. Though you do have a point about Knuckles' family. It's like Ken Penders was obsessed with Echidnas.
Penders made up the entire echidna culture. He had free range pretty much to do what he wanted. Giving Knuckles a family originally was okay. It wasn't until the Adventure Games where Knuckles established himself as the last of his tribe that it really became contradictory. The biggest issue was Penders didn't try to work in the SEGA elements into his tribe so it starts getting awkward when Chaos or Tikal get involved.

I thought that plot element of him being the last of his kind was introduced way back in S3&K. The backstory in the game manual describes the Echidna civilization as being wiped out by the power of the Chaos Emeralds through their own arrogance. Sound familiar?

I guess Penders was well aware of the fact, but decided to drop it completely in favor of creating his own series. And when SA1 was later released (which was based around the original concept), it turned everything completely over.

Who knows? That may be the reason why SEGA doesn't want their characters' backstories further explored.

Wait, everyone hated the Mecha Sally arc? Yet another illustration of me being out of touch with the fanbase... But I guess when I was reading it, I was like, I'm almost to the reboot! (I got way, way behind, lol...)

Hated is an understatement really.

It was despised. The most hardcore Archie Sonic fans hated it too

But why? Were fans upset because they didn't think Sally should be roboticized? Was it because it went on too long? Or was it because of the reference to "Where were you when the brains were handed out?"

Do you want me to bring out the list? Cause I can go on as to why it was terrible

You might want to keep it simple. Going over all the details will just make it sound nitpicky.

#63 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

I had the PC version of S3&K. The digital manual didn't work on my computer. I'm never read it. My bad.

#64 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:34 PM

I did read the manual and I don't even remember that, lol.

#65 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

I did read the manual and I don't even remember that, lol.

Here's a link to the translation:

http://info.sonicret...gehog_3_manuals

At the same moment, while relaxing on the beach, Sonic found a small ring washed up on shore. Sonic looked at the ring carefully, and noticed some ancient characters carved on it.

The ring reminded Sonic of a legend he once heard about a "mystery island."

In an ancient time, the "mystery island" was part of the main continent. A people with an extraordinary culture inhabited it. That civilization had built a peaceful and happy society using the energy of something they called "The Mighty Stone". But at a certain point, a faction of dark-minded elders tried to steal the energy of the stone, and by accident made that energy explode.

The civilization was wiped out in a second, erased from history. Time passed, and a god descended from the sky to the newly created "mystery island". The sky god restored part of the civilization to the island, and threw the "Mighty Stone" into the open sky...

A ring washed up on the shore - the legend of the "mystery island" - Sonic, feeling his excitement build, made his preparations for another adventure.

It looks like Sonic Team had the backstory to SA1 planned out ahead of time.

I've got no clue to who this "sky god" is supposed to be, but this is the closest explanation we'll probably get to knowing how Knuckles came to be the last of his kind.

#66 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Oh, the Japanese manual. No wonder :P

#67 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

Well that's just cheating then. 

#68 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

Oops, just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that you yourself don't have good reasons for not liking the Mecha Sally arc.  I just mean that, if it was truly widely hated, I know the Sonic fan base well enough to know that most people probably did not have good reasons. 

If you tell me that the fan base at large also hated Sonic Genesis and the Mega Man and Sonic crossovers, which were virtually devoid of plot, I might be more open-minded... 

But anyway.  I don't really remember the Mecha Sally arc that well, so no, you don't need to get out the list.  Someday I can just go back and re-read it and see why it was so bad.  I barely even remember it constituting an "arc."  I remember her getting roboticized, then getting equipped with lazer knives and pants and rockets, and then her helping Metal Sonic momentarily kill Antoine, her battling Amy, and her attacking Lupe, and that's about it.  Oh yeah, and I remember Sonic and the others being really stressed out about everything that was happening, and the fact that the reboot happened before anything was resolved, and that Silver gave some B.S. explanation for why Sally was actually the traitor.  And somewhere in there was the whole Ian Knuckles vs. Thrash Penders battle of long-and-drawn-outness... 

Why am I typing this? 

#69 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Basically the ark came at a bad time.  There was a lot of build up for a story that seemingly went nowhere, and a lot of controversy over Robian redesign and programming (since the machine that makes them was once their flesh, and the fact they told Bunnie that if she changed her roboticized limbs in an earlier issue they could no longer be restored...).

On top of that from a monthly point of view the ark went on forever.  Most story arks in a comic only last 4 issues, as that technically is 1/3 of the year.  Issues 230 to issue 247 (note this isn't the end of the storyline but rather where the new continuity removed it) is quite long indeed.  

Ultimately the incident was just too long with no payoff.  If there had been a solution at the end the ark would probably not be as notorious as it is today.  

But we'll be honest.  Nearly every single ark of any comic that does a "big-change" or "someone will die" are always bad as they're progressing.  It isn't until after they finish do people look back and see the whole picture.  

#70 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Hmm, I guess that makes sense.  I guess I was privileged to be able to read it all at once for the first time, instead of waiting every month. 

And yeah, the de-roboticization problem did occur to me.  (But let's face it:  Roboticization makes absolutely no sense, period.  :P )

As I was reading it, I was thinking, Hey Ian!  Did you know that an easier explanation for Sally's new design would be that... she decided to change her clothes?  xD 

"Whoa, Sal!  What's with the pants?"

"Robotnik did this to me....  when he weaponized me..."

"So... Are they like attached or something?"

"Huh... I've never tried. The thought never occurred to me." 

"Hmm... Now I feel awkward. I think I'm gonna put them back on."

"Oh no! What's Robotnik done to you?!"

"Here, Sonic! You can wear these pants."

"No!  Get away! I will never wear pants! NO-O-O-O-O!!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users