Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

Bwrosas Comic Discussions

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 PuffinGrandeur

PuffinGrandeur

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Yeah, they'd never plan an ending two and a half years before it happens. It would only happen in reaction to something, and an extra 25 issues would not be on the table if either of those situations were to occur.

#22 blue

blue

Veteran poster

• Fellow FUSer
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

The comic will only end if (1.)It stops selling well or (2.)Sega takes the Sonic licence away from Archie.

Don't forget (3.) If Archie decides not to do the sonic comics anymore other than bad sales.

#23 blue

blue

Veteran poster

• Fellow FUSer
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

I don't think that is possible.

Late response: Yeah I'm just having fun.

#24 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

2011, I know this is early but I have to say what a year it has been for the Sonic the hedgehog comic book.

I mean from the aspects of both the main comic and the universe spinoff, it has indeed been quite a year. From the story arcs that were provided to us in Sonic Universe to the very controversial story arc known as Genesis in the main comic, one can say that 2011 was the year of not only the overall 20th Anniversary of the Sonic franchise but as far as the comics published by Archie comics was indeed the most controversial, disappointing, surprising, and electrifying year in its near 20 year existence.

With Sonic Universe, we started out with the final part of the treasure team tango arc which then allowed us for the next four months after that to read what many have considered to be evidence that the head writer doesn't stay true to his word (in the eyes of some) because even though it was a 4 – part story arc featuring and starring Silver the hedgehog, it was also a soft adaption of the head writer's web – comic that he made while he was still a fan of the comic book, which he entitled Other – M, and even though this was a fairly decent story arc that was enjoyed by many fans. Some of those fans along with fans that didn't read the Silver arc were upset at the fact that the head writer had gone back on his word. The reason was because he had said he would not use any elements from his Other – M Web – comic and yet in this 4 – part arc he did just that.

Now after the Silver arc we got something new and different, a 4 – part Universe arc-based around original characters created for the comic and these characters were called the Suppression Squad and the main focus of this arc was for them to break their leader out of the Zone Penitentiary. This of course was done at the urging of their leader's girlfriend Fiona Fox. This was of course a success which many fans enjoyed due to the backstories of the Squad.

The final story arc in the 2011 run of the Universe comic is once again game based and this time stars the Babylon Rogues and so far by the cover previews and descriptions it seems that it will be another interesting four-part story arc.

With the main comic we dealt with a lot, we actually started the year out on a positive note in the eyes of many long-time fans when the head writer finally decided to put Sonic and Sally back together as a couple. This of course occurred in the February issue which was numbered 222 and again many fans, long-time fans enjoyed what they saw and read and felt that it was a relaxing break from the norm. Now many other fans didn't like what they saw and read, mostly they did not like the character of Amy Rose being portrayed as someone that loves Sonic enough, that not only does she still believe in her heart that she will be together with him in the future/someday, but if being with Sally makes him happy then that makes her happy and that's all that matters. As I mentioned before many fans enjoyed this while many other fans did not.

The other character that got some development even more so than before was Nicole. This development was based off her situation during the Iron Dominion arc that ran and dominated most of 2009 and into the early portions of 2010. The development was not only to make Nicole more than just an A.I., but to make her more real just like her friends to the point that in one issue she ran off crying due to the lyrics of one character's song that mostly seemed to target Nicole. But thanks to an unlikely friend she has learned or is learning to cope with the situation as well as try to find a way to win back the citizens trust.

The character that I mentioned above was another character that got some long overdue development and that character was Mina Mongoose. As I mentioned above she was the one that sang the songs and wrote the lyrics that basically demanded or protested that Nicole no longer be in control of their city. The reason for this was due to the fact that Mina was having, well let's put it this way, Vietnam/postwar traumatic nightmares of Nicole losing control once again just like she did briefly when she was under the control of the Iron Queen. Now her development, Mina's is that is, was not only this with the song that she wrote but also due to the fact that later on she found out that for most of the Iron Dominion's control of the city that Nicole was acting as a double agent and not only that but in the 222nd issue she sees that perhaps her doing what she did was perhaps not the best idea and I think she tries to make up for it later on.

Another character that got a push in 2011 was St. John. This surprise push revealed a few things, one that he was a ixis wizard/apprentice and that perhaps he wasn't as loyal to the kingdom as he seemed to be in the past. His betrayal if you will led to him restoring his master, Nagus back to sanity with a chaos emerald as well as trying to convince the people and Royal Council that his master was not only promised the kingdom's throne long ago but that his master was more suited to be king then the current king who happens to be Sally's brother. St. John's future will be revealed along with his reasoning behind his betrayal as well as the answer that all fans want about his wife Hershey will be answered in the next few months.

This of course overall lead us to the 225th anniversary issue of the comic which was a prologue/prelude to the four-part Genesis story arc which dominated most of the summer and many felt was a good summer arc while others didn't feel that same way and felt that it was overshadowed by wondering what would happen or would be happening to the Princess Sally character who apparently was shot to death off panel at the end of 225 and this of course led us into Genesis which when you look at it now it seems like a loose adaption of the recently released game "Sonic Generations". Now Genesis did have some nostalgic moments and gave us an idea of what it would be like or would have been like if Sonic and his friends met while they were still young teenagers and not as kids. Again though this was all overshadowed by fans who like and don't like the Sally character and wondering what her fate would be.

This of course leads us into the issue that was released just last month. Even though at first many fans speculated as to what her fate would be from the cover preview of 231 with the shadowy silhouette on the cover with the ?, and then having that same ? being shown on the cover of 232, most fans pretty much knew what her fate would be. This was further proved correct when Big Wayne's Comics accidentally, if you want to look at it that way, revealed the official official cover of 232 which showed and revealed a robot Sally that was hidden if you will behind that ?, which many fans were not happy about and many fans were happy about.

Now the head writer said at the New York Comic Con that Sally would be like this going forward. However many fans like myself feel that this is not true and even though I'm a fan that's stuck in the middle and has sworn not to read or review any of the current issues to come including 230 due to the fact that I want to see where they go with this and also because as I have mentioned before many times on these forms and on YouTube, going forward just means for the time being and not forever, in other words it's just for the upcoming story arc that will lead us into the 250th anniversary issue which I have stated could be, not saying it will be, but could be the final issue of the overall main comic.

Now the reason I say that 250 could be the last issue is because it's so ironic that all of this within the comics continuity is occurring as we speak. Also with the news that the head writer will be writing more not just for the Universe spinoff but also for the Mega-Man comic as well as for the revival of The Mighty Crusaders comic, this just gives me a feeling that either the Comic will come to end or the head writer will be replaced by a new head writer.

To say 2011 hasn't been a controversial, and electrifying year for the Sonic the hedgehog comic book would be an understatement. Because many fans had moments they loved and moments that they hated and whether they're divided or together fans overall have seen many many controversial moments that they have felt were either necessary or unnecessary.

One thing is for certain though, the head writer in the eyes of some if not many still continues to do a great job while in the eyes of many others he has literally stepped in it to the point that it will take multiple among multiple if not millions and billions of cleanings to get the you know what off his shoes clothes.

All we can do now as fans overall is just wait and see would 2012 has to offer.

#25 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

This month I look back and review a CLASSIC in the eyes of Many Sonic Fans, ENDGAME!!

Comments are Welcomed!

#26 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

I was looking at and comparing the similarities and difference between the Mecha Sally Storyarc and the Classic Dark Phoenix Storyarc.

The similarities are :

1. The Freedom Fighters have to fight Sally (whither they want to or not), Same as the X-Men fighting Jean when she was the Dark Phoenix (whither they wanted to or not)

2. Jean as The Dark Phoenix doing thing things that she couldn't control, but yet enjoyed in it. Sally as Mecha Sally doing things she couldn't/can't control, but yet could possibly find joy in it.

3. Jean had abilities (she normally wouldn't have) when she was the Dark Phoenix, Same with Sally in her Mecha Form (ex. Force field? see SU #38 cover for info)

4. An outside force being the one to take Jean out, That being the Sha'ir (depending on which media version you read or watch {she either died or lived}), and the same could possibly be said for Silver being the outside force that could take Sally out (yet we don't know that), because Sally is too popular .

Now I know some will read this and repeat that Ian has said that the comic could survive without Sally in it. Which was proven from issues 53-67 (main stories only), she did appear though in issues 53-67 (in the backstories). It was even proven in issues 126-129 (exc. being a doppelganger created by E.V.E in 127 I think). But yes it has being proven in the past.

However, since Ian;s talked her up a lot and gave her huge backing, when he said she was the strongest female in the comic, some/many find it hard to believe that he would do her in (in any fashion), but yet there are those that take his words with a gain of salt.

But that's basically what the video was about.

Give credit to Zaranyzerak @Facebook and Youtube for giving me the idea for the comparison.

#27 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

Personally, I find the fact Mecha Sally can have a protective force field just stupid.

Isn't this something Metal Sonic can do as well?

If that is true, then I seriously don't see the point in this whole, "Oh, Sally is now a villain and the F's have to fight her now." story arc

Why not just have it so she can utilize her best strengths against her comrades, such as her brilliant tacticians?

At least it would be different and just another Metal Sonic with Sally's body.
Posted Image

#28 PuffinGrandeur

PuffinGrandeur

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

Force fields: they drain all your brainpower to use!
And no, Metal Sonic only has the Black Shield in the games.

#29 RedSonic

RedSonic

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Lets just hope this doesn't lead to Sally dying and being resurrected a dozen times. In the end, the reader is the one who wishes they were dead.
Posted Image

#30 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

Personally, I find the fact Mecha Sally can have a protective force field just stupid.

Isn't this something Metal Sonic can do as well?

If that is true, then I seriously don't see the point in this whole, "Oh, Sally is now a villain and the F's have to fight her now." story arc

Why not just have it so she can utilize her best strengths against her comrades, such as her brilliant tacticians?

At least it would be different and just another Metal Sonic with Sally's body.

Reminder that Robotnik controlled Robians don't think on their own, only follow orders.

#31 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Reminder that Robotnik controlled Robians don't think on their own, only follow orders.

Yea, true...

Still, I don't see why Eggman wouldn't want to get information about the FF's from her if possible.

That's just me though...
Posted Image

#32 PuffinGrandeur

PuffinGrandeur

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Once again, we haven't actually seen what she can and will be doing outside of a single cover, and Metal Sonic is not the only battle-capable robot in Sonic the Hedgehog. At least wait until she's actually in the book as Mecha Sally before you complain her potential as Mecha Sally isn't being used properly.

#33 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,549 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

Lets just hope this doesn't lead to Sally dying and being resurrected a dozen times. In the end, the reader is the one who wishes they were dead.

Yes, but then we could predict the plot from the covers...

#34 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

This is a text version of "Why fans like characters and things the way they are"

Now as I mentioned in the video version of this which you can see on YouTube, I basically said that the reason we as fans are not used to seeing Sally in this manner even though I did not really specifically name her in that video, the reason I said that is because as long-time fans of the comic as well as the Saturday morning cartoon we as fans this includes even myself are used to looking at her like that, then what we are looking at her as now. The reason being is we're not used to it, nor will we ever get used to it no matter how long it goes for.

And now with the modifications that the head writer has allowed the villain to do to Sally, it makes us as fans not like it even more so than before. Now one can argue and say that we should allow the story arc to play out before we jump to conclusions and others will say that she needed this change to not only redeem herself in the eyes of those that are about who saw she was misused due the works of previous writers, but then also in the end it will hopefully make him more likable.

All that may be true and probably is, but again it goes back to the fact that we're not used to seeing her like this and it makes us as long-time fans hope and pray that she is return to normal sooner than later. In fact one reviewer on YouTube to quote something he said in his latest review I believe speaks for a lot of those that are not happy with what's going on, and I quote from his review, "oh crap" and "this does not look good" . Those are small quotes and sayings from the YouTube member and Sonic fan known as SonicComicWorld or SCW for short. And believe me for what I have seen and heard him say in previous reviews and topic discussions he ain't to happy about what is happened in the comic so far.

Speaking of fans like SCW, there are many or (to easy up a little bit around places like this) about the same amount, if not 10% more fans out there at the other Sonic message boards and forums as well as surprisingly at YouTube and at the most popular and recognized artistic/fan artistic website out there called Deviantart or DA for short. Now some of you may say it's a small majority at DA that's against what is happened, but let me tell you this it's a lot bigger than you think. Because when you search for fan art based around Sally you will see a lot of fan art at Deviantart on her original design, now yes I understand a lot of you will say that "the reason we see more of the original Sally design is because the robotic one is very new and we have yet to see what the robotic one can do in action." Now this is true and even though we have seen some fan art based on the robotic design it seems that fan artists seem to be countering that with more fan art at Deviantart based on her original design. And when you look all over the DA website you see not one, not two, and not even three, but a good chunk of groups that are dedicated to the Sally character, to the Saturday morning show which she came out of it and was introduced to us from, but also supporting her romantic relationship with a certain blue hedgehog. Now there are probably a few groups dedicated to the robotic Sally, but yet there is one group that just begun this past week which is against the robotic Sally and even though it may look small believe me when I say in short possible due time membership to that group will grow and might have more say along with those on the various Sonic message boards and forums than one can imagine.

Now you may sit there and read this and say that "I'm dreaming, it's never going to happen , give it up, grow up, leave it alone and etc." and you may have a point but let's not forget one thing, and I know this may seem strange using these two things as examples but I think it kind of fits for this scenario.
1. The SOPA and Protect IP Acts that Congress and the house of legislation were trying to pass into law. No one thought at first that there would be no stopping them from passing but yet the whole Internet community even those as you would probably say are small fishes swimming in a big pond or ocean surrounded by bloodthirsty sharks with no chance of surviving have all the sudden not only survived but come out victorious, and that is what happened when the entire Internet community and even though small websites and corporations came together to voice for their disapproval and disdain for what these acts could have done to the Internet overall.
Now you may say to yourself and ask what does this have to do with anything that he is talking about,. Again even though they were strange examples to use it shows you that you cannot judge something like this DA group that's against the robotic Sally just yet, nor can you judge those that you call at times obsessive Saturday morning Sonic fanboys/fangirls because if you keep judging them, you may wake up one day and find out that they have accomplished their goal.

What is that goal you may ask? Well it's real simple. To not only restore Sally to normal, but to show Ian Flynn that he could have done things differently instead of going this route or with no disrespect when I say this because quite honestly I don't want to see it happen to him, have him removed as the head writer of the main comic or even going as far as have him removed from Archie comics altogether. That my friends is their goal, the first one being the main goal.

However to shed some light for you all that think this is nothing more than bashing let me tell you this there are those even at this anti-group that are saving their coming judgment for either later this month when 234 comes out or into a few issues later, because only then will they serve judgment on how they feel Ian Flynn is doing as a head writer. That judgment being if he is still worthy at a chance to redeem himself heading into the 250th anniversary issue or if it's time for him to be shown the door or just removed as the head writer.

Honestly I'm just going sit back along with many others and see what unfolds. However in closing let me say this , if I was in Ian's shoes and because what I wrote or was going to write, If I knew it was going to cause even more dissension among the fan base with what I'm writing in the comic as a storyarc, as crazy as this sounds I would've made a proposal to the board of directors at Archie comics and even to those representing Sega of America or just the Sega Corporation in general that this story arc and even the anniversary issue of 225, that we should do a separate alternate comic of the main comic book with the same story and storyarc, but in this alternate comic book have it more focused on what many feel the comic book (the main one) should be focused on more so and that is the game characters. Because knowing that my decision to turn one of the most popular female characters, if not the most popular female character in the comic into a robotic slave for the main villain to use, that I would be why I would make that suggestion to do an alternate comic of the main comic and storyarc. Now some of you may say that's a dumb idea and some you may agree that it probably would been better than what we are seeing right now. Because you would be giving everyone overall in the fan base what they want.

Honestly though to get back on topic here, as I was saying everything that I mentioned above is the main reason we as long-time fans like things and characters the way they are and for no matter how long, we cannot get use to seeing a character or thing in a different form.

And before I go let me use one more example as to why as long-time fans we cannot get used to seeing Sally into robotic form. This example uses two of the most iconic animated characters or in this case animated couples in the history of animation and even comic book's. And that couple/characters are Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Now the example I will use is by question and that is, What would your reaction be if the head writer of any of the Mickey Mouse related comic books currently being published by Boom Studios decided to use a similar scenario in story arc as we have seen in the past few months with the Sonic comic book? What would your reaction be if Mickey had to go back in time to prevent Minnie from being wiped out from existence only to return to the normal timeline having resaved her from being wiped out only in return to have her somehow do a similar situation like Sally did and instead of being turned robotic she was turned into a female version of the Phantom Blot. What would your reaction be? Would you be happy? Or would you be pissed off as hell? Well if you're a long-time Disney fan you probably wouldn't be happy and you'd probably want the head writer removed from the comic or even worse fired from the comic book company. Now the reason I used this as a final example is so you can hopefully understand how the other 50% or even 60% or as you look at it less than that feel right now about what's going on with Sally, because you wouldn't be used to see Minnie as a villainess female Phantom Blot now would you? Now I know you're saying that won't ever happen because Disney won't allow it, which is quite probably true, but again I'm just using that as an example of showing how the fans that dislike what Ian has done to Sally feel, that is all it is.

And quite honestly that's all I'm going to say.

Attached Files

#35 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

You know, back in August of last year I did a 30 min. video when I had the unlimited time limit from YouTube what I did was compared the similarities between two writers head writers that are of two medias, one of those medias was wrestling in the wrestling company known as TNA/Impact wrestling and its head writer at the time Vince Russo and the other media of comic books and more specifically the Sonic The Hedgehog comic books published by Archie comics, whose current head writer is Ian Flynn.

Now the reason I made this comparison was due to the fact that both head writers on an almost constant basis would try to go for shock value, they would try to retell the same storylines from many years ago, as well is try to write in unnecessary plot twists, and more so take some of the most popular and over characters that they have and try to turn them from good guys/babyfaces to bad guys/heels. And from what you would see and hear and even read most of that never made any sense and really didn't go anywhere and seem to basically drag on and on and on when it could have been finished or even left alone a long time ago.

Now you may sit there and ask what this has to do with what's going on in the Sonic comic book? Well I'll tell you exactly what it has to do with what's going on in the comic book.

Back in 2010 and for most of 2011 Vince Russo would constantly do things that didn't make any sense. One example was trying to incorporate the Hall of Fame rings that Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair have gotten during their induction into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005 and 2008. And Russo tried to do this by having it center around the wrestler known as Abyss. How he did this, was he made it seem that Abyss was getting power from Hulk Hogan's ring to overcome the heels/bad guys up until the summer of that year. Because it was around that time that I guess Vince Russo decided it was time to shock the world by having Abyss turn heel after losing a match. Now what made this make no sense at all and some may disagree was throughout the summer going into October you had Abyss attacking just about everyone in sight even those that later on he would align himself with in October. And to top it all off he kept saying from August of that year that they were coming, and yet to the untrained eye no one knew who they were, but to long-time fans such as myself we knew exactly who they were, but again this is where one of the unnecessary plot twist Russo did came into the picture. And that is when he took one of the most popular and over wrestlers not only in that company, but maybe wrestling in general and in October he turned him into a bad guy/heel and that wrestler was none other than Jeff Hardy.

Now here is where some of the similarities come into play. For the next year or so we kept having this new heel faction known as Immortal being shoved down our throats week in and week out, to the point that when you put on YouTube or you would read one of those dirt sheets, that most of the time you would get a negative review and reaction to the product due to the fact that Vince Russo was rehashing a storyline from 15 years ago, a storyline that when first originally introduced in WCW, became one of the hottest selling and most talked about wrestling storylines in history to the point that it helped WCW win the ratings war and dominate professional wrestling for nearly 2 1/2 years. However with all things that start out new and hot and fresh and original, it to started to slowly cool down and lose its flavor. But to WCW's credit they try to rehash it back in 1999 at the start of that year and at the end of that year, however they soon rediscovered the old saying of if it ain't broke don't fix it and to satisfy those that want to think this way as well, to just let it slowly die and fade away into the sunset.

Now the similarity with Ian Flynn is that he continuously on occasions tries to shock the fan base. There have been times where he has done the things that I mentioned at the beginning here of this typing, were his either succeeded or had it blown up in his face. One similarity between both Russo and Flynn is that they constantly shoved a storyline that really didn't go anywhere and really didn't do much down on throats for nearly a year and a half. With Russo it was the Immortal storyline and faction, with Flynn it was the Iron Dominion storyarc which ran from the final pagel of the 200th issue all the way to essentially 212. And just like with Vince Russo's storyline of the Immortal faction, fans to got tired of Ian Flynn's Iron Dominion storyarc. Now the reason both separate fan bases were growing tired of these storyarcs was because they both had a predictable ending to them, an ending which both fan bases (long-time and even short time) saw coming miles away.

The other similarity is the shock value. Russo did this on a constant basis throughout 2010 and 2011, well not most of the time, but more so then he should have. Now what's funny is the shock value wasn't so shocking because long-time fans and even newer fans pretty much knew what the shock value was going to be and Russo to his credit try to constantly shock us, even to the point that he would take other wrestlers who were good guys/babyfaces who at least were very popular and over with the audience and he tried to turn them heel whenever one of them became the world heavyweight champion and by doing so have them join the Immortal faction. Now the similarity with Ian Flynn is what's going on right now and most importantly with the DEL group in the comics. The shock value as of right now is Princess Sally being turned into a robot and having the villain modifier her with weapons to help him fight the freedom fighters and more specifically Sonic. However many have already pointed out that this just like what I mentioned above with Russo and will probably start to lose its flavor if Ian Flynn doesn't find a way to keep it fresh and new. The other shock value and believe me there are many is a so-called secret service leader becoming a traitor to the kingdom that he served. And that's a similarity that Ian Flynn definitely has in common with Vince Russo and that is constantly and unnecessarily turning good guy characters into bad guy characters basically in Ian's case into traitors. Now some have pointed out that some of the betrayals that Ian Flynn wrote in made some sense while others did not.

The other shock value with Ian Flynn that may be different from anything Vince Russo ever did was Flynn's constant desire to kill off characters for no reason. Now Vince Russo the only similarity to this that he has is when he unnecessarily wrote a wrestler or knockout off television for a while because he wanted to make whoever (storyline wise) took that individual out look strong and unstoppable and also it would be because maybe their contract with the company was up or they have a legitimate injury, those two last ones I can excuse Russo for only if he wrote them to be done perfectly but in this case there have been times when he's failed at it. And the same can be said for Ian Flynn because his constant killing of certain characters in one area takes a meaningful moment that they had in a pervious story that in this case was set in the future and decides to kill them off even if he meant for it to be an emotional moment and sacrifice, and makes that moment in the future not mean anything.

Going back to the shock value of unnecessarily turning good guys bad, Vince Russo has tried to do this twice and evidently from what I saw failed at doing so. His three attempts at this were, Sting in 99, Goldberg in 2000, and recently with Jeff Hardy in October of 2010 and Early-Mid 2011. And the way Russo failed at this, was not matter how much he tried to make them a heel/bad guy and no matter how much heat he try to get on them it just backfired in his face because the fans would still constantly cheer these three every time they came out to the ring. The similarity with Ian Flynn right now is Sally being a robot and Bunnie being returned to normal. The similarity is no matter how much Ian Flynn tries to get us used to , change and modify these characters, to us we never see them as that, to us long-time fans and even newer fans we are used to seeing them as they were and that is why any time you go to a site like the DA or even the FA, you see a majority of fans creating and uploading/sharing their fan art or stories of the characters the way we originally know them as. Heck you can go to Google and type in Princess Sally acorn and Bunnie Rabbot and you will see more artwork and screenshots as well as promotional art along with fan art then you will see with the newer modified designs. Now sure you'll read this and as I've mentioned before in previous postings your sit there and say that the reason for that is because the new designs on the characters have just been introduced and we need to give it time for them to show up more so in fan artwork and such. Yet again though as myself and others will point out to you, that may be true but it seems that the more artwork or fan artwork that gets uploaded and shared at sites like DA, then no matter what, it seems to be countered by more fan artwork and stories of the characters in the original and more recognized designs.

Basically what I'm saying is that no matter how much Vince Russo tried to turn those three wrestlers into bad guys, in the end it backfired in his face. Heck he even tried it with AJ Styles on numerous occasions and again it backfired. And that is why fans like myself and others out there will never be used to seeing Sally as a robot or Bunnie as not being half robotic, because were use to the way they were.

The one thing that I will say in closing that Vince Russo has over Ian Flynn is the fact that even the company itself the very same company Vince Russo works for decided it was time for him to be removed as the head writer, now this doesn't mean he's gone from the company he's just no longer they head creative writer for that company. However there are many that feel Ian Flynn is not that far behind and that he too, like Vince Russo won't lose his job at Archie comics, but instead be removed as the head writer of the Sonic comic books. Because if you're a wrestling fan, and a fan that likes watching TNA/Impact wrestling, you may have notice that the product and even the storylines have gotten better with each passing week. And for many long-time fans and even newer fans of the Sonic comic book they are hoping for possibly a similar change to occur in the near future, however they will hold that judgment till later this month and even into March with 234 and 235.

And that's all I'm going to say in this written version of my video where I talked about and compared the similarities between Vince Russo and Ian Flynn.

Thank you all for reading and God bless.
Comments are Welcomed
Started this writing at 7:45am-9:08amAttached File  Comparing Vince Russo and Ian Flynn Text version.rtf   11.21KB   0 downloads

#36 bwrosas

bwrosas

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone, this is my written version or Dragon NaturallySpeaking version of the video that I did the other day and recently as of 24 hours ago posted on YouTube. The video which is entitled as a question which is : "Is Ian Flynn making the Sonic comic to dark and gritty?" Now the reason I asked this question is because a fair amount of fans at various Sonic related websites as well as at some artistic/fan artistic websites including Ian Flynn's own website in the past few days have come out and said that they do not like where Ian Flynn is taking the comic right now and with the recent events that are as recent as issue 234, many fans now wonder if Ian Flynn is trying to make the comic a little too dark for their own liking.
Now another fair amount of fans have pointed out that comics becoming dark and gritty is nothing new. For example, some of these fans have pointed out other comics and even other bits of media that show the good guys/baby faces being decimated, wounded and overall put at a huge disadvantage, that when you read or watch makes you believe and wonder if they will ever bounce back and ultimately claim victory.

Some of the examples that these fans used is like a who's who in comics, anime, Magna, as well as in Westren animation and live-action, and the title and names of these examples are : Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, Sailor Moon, Justice league, Avengers, Gargoyles, and any other kind of Anime from Japan that you can think of. You may wonder why some of these fans would use these names and titles for examples. It's because in these other comics and media for a long time or a uncertain amount of time, or even (when it comes to television) a season's worth of time, the heroes will be put at a huge disadvantage, but in the end will always bounce back and ultimately overcome adversity and defeat their enemies once and for all, and if need be restore their friends who were mind controlled or brainwashed back to normal.

While this may be accepted in other forms of media and comics, to long time fans of this comic it's kind of unnatural for us to read and see our favorite characters that have been with the comic and even with the Saturday morning cartoon that ran from 1993 to 1996, is unnatural to see a character like Sally being turned into a robot and thus modified and upgraded to the point that some fans wonder if and how she will ever be restored and even to the point that she says some uncharacteristic things to her friends although it's not really her saying it but instead it's her robotic enslaved mind that's making her say those things. Then you have Bunnie who thanks to Nagus of all people restoring her to normal, only for her to basically sit back and watch her husband who is another long-time character get literally blown away by a self detonating Metal Sonic and now because of that being put into another cliffhanger moment.

It's because of this that even fans who are members of Ian Flynn's own message board are starting in some way to retract some of their support from Ian. Because to them it's one thing to turn the Princess into a robot and thus have the main villain modifier her in some ways but it's another to take a character who many have felt was never given the spotlight along with other characters and put them in a death or no death cliffhanger situation and because of that some of these fans as I mentioned before are starting to in a way retract their support of Ian Flynn. As a matter of fact one if not several fans and members of Ian's own message board have even started to acknowledge the anti-group's over at the DA website as well as the anti-group's that are growing at the various Sonic websites and even on certian video sites which altogether are against this current story line that Ian Flynn is writing.

One group over at the DA website which calls itself "The Anti-Mecha Sally group"and whose tagline is "Down with Ian's abomination!" Has made it clear that they do not want this continuing, and even though the group is only about three weeks old, it already has near 20 members and I know some will say that's not a lot, but they do have a few affiliations with other DA groups that feel the same way as well as possibly with other various Sonic websites. Now again even though it is only three weeks old and some of you will say that near 20 members is not enough to end the storyline, this may be true, however let's be honest with ourselves, because whether we want to admit it or not this group along with its affiliations and members are not the only ones out there that are against Ian's current story line and what he has done to characters like Sally and Antoine, because believe me and I know some you won't, this is far bigger than any of you can imagine.

And it's because of groups like that and fans long-time and short time that are up against the comic being dark and gritty. If you want to put the shoe on the other foot let's look at it from this perspective, fans want the comic to feature mostly the game characters and be more game oriented than what it is now and yet they only did get a little bit of what they want, perhaps in their eyes it's a lot, but from what I've seen it's not much and yet they want more and when they don't get more they complain and moan about it. So by looking at it from that perspective you may understand why long-time and even short time fans don't like what is going on in the comic right now.

And even though I've asked this question before, I'll ask it again, What would you the game oriented fans do if characters like Amy and let's say Shadow where put in the same predicaments that Sally and Antoine a currently in. How would you react? Would you embrace it? Or would you be disgusted a bit? In my humble opinion, I feel and believe you would be disgusted. Now sure some of the game oriented fans would and will deny this, but let's face it they can't hide the truth from themselves or from any other Sonic fan, and that's the truth.

So hopefully you can understand now why fans don't like this dark and gritty atmosphere that Ian Flynn is put the comic into. And you know when you think about it perhaps Ian Flynn knows something we don't. But what that is only you and I can speculate on. But maybe when you think about it he's trying to send a message or may be he's trying to tell those in charge at Archie comics that he wants to officially publish his Other-M webcomic as an official graphic novel. But again we can only speculate.

But overall no matter what some will say, in the eyes of many fans, Mr. Ian Flynn is on very very very very borderline thin ice. And that's all I'm good to say about that.

Attached Files

#37 blue

blue

Veteran poster

• Fellow FUSer
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

So let me get this straight, Sonic game fans want more material from the games and when they got what they want-ish it wasn't enough then Ian decided to give in and roboticize Sally and blow up Antoine the same fans would start to get uneasy and express their feelings about it. Actually, the comics have been darker and gritty before, but I say this is the most controversial since the EndGame Saga. Although I did enjoy the current story line.
Now, a lot of people may not know, but Archie can't have every single SEGA Sonic aspect because of licensing restrictions like when they forbib Dr. Nega to be a secondary character to the comics and Cream's introduction story was shorter than original length.

#38 zelchias

zelchias

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Too dark? Compared to what, I ask?

Too dark compared to Charmy's friend dying of food poisoning? Too dark compared to Sonic himself being roboticized and laying siege to Knothole and nearly dying? Too dark to flashbacks of the Great War showing Kodos coldly murdering a pair of scouts to guaruntee the war happening? Too dark compared to the frequent references to Genocide? Too dark compared to Monkey Khan's entire village being slaughtered in cruel experiments that only he ended up surviving? Too dark compared to Robotnik having Jules toss Bernie into the roboticizer and then roboticizing her as she begged for mercy? Too dark compared to NAugus possessing King Acorn and starting a civil war with the Robians that nearly caused the death of Uncle Chuck? Too dark compared to Dulcy ending up in an abusive relationship? Too dark compared to the NAzi-esque conquest of the Echidna by Kage Von Stryker and his Dingo Regime? Too dark compared to Antoine's father ending up poisoned to death by Patch? Too dark compared to Eggman essentially murdering Hope's family in front of her? Too dark compared to Endgame??

I would say, honestly, no, it is not. I am deeply irritated by all of the old show characters being out of the picture by this point thanks to one thing or the other, but I'm just going to wait and see things through before making a judgement call. Just because the consequences of events are starting to stick for more then an issue or too, does not make things automatically 'darker' or 'grittier'.

#39 MistressAli

MistressAli

Pirate Extraordinaire

• Fellow FUSer
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't think it's too dark, but I do wonder at how it seems the SatAM-based characters are all the ones being affected. Sally roboticized, Ant getting blown up, Bunnie being made 'normal' (and therefore, not as effective a fighter), Dulcy taken out entirely, Rotor having a bad back, and etc. Why not have Amy break a leg or something? LOL Just to even it out?

I don't mind dark, and I do appreciate that things aren't automatically made happy and whole now, or at least as fast... like NICOLE replacing Knothole after it got decimated. Might as well had not happened at all!

The only SatAM char I follow at this moment (or ever, really) is Snively xD I like how he has a bit more to do in Ian's run, though I do worry he might bite the bullet one of these days, seeing how the rest of the SatAM cast is ending up.

#40 PuffinGrandeur

PuffinGrandeur

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sega mandates keep them protected, but they've gone through a fair amount of abuse as well. The only one with permanent retirement has been Rotor, which was unfortunate but also sort of inevitable. If you really like Snively, then you definitely want SU 37. Instead of biting the bullet, he seems to have things looking up for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users