Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

Photo

Sonic Didn't Make It To Hall Of Fame

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:38 AM

There was some kind of nomination ceremony going on yesterday in New York. Out of 15 finalists 6 games were chosen to enter The Strong museum's Video Game Hall of Fame.

http://www.museumofp...ctees-announced

One of the finalists was Sonic the Hedgehog, but he didn't make it. Instead Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., DOOM, and World of Warcraft have been selected.

As I see it, the game in question was 1991 Sonic the Hedgehog, the first iteration. Should they have considered the original trilogy of games, I'm sure Sonic would've been chosen. The 2nd and 3rd installments are sigificantly better. Tetris, SMB and WoW have left an impression on me indeed, but I was too young to notice Pong, never really liked Pac-Man and haven't even played Doom once. Sonic 1,2,3/&K on the other hand were a significant part of my childhood. Ii's just some kind of museum's random opinion I guess, but still a bit sad.

#2 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:04 AM

Well, to be fair, Sonic the Hedgehog was never truly a revolutionary series. It basically took the gameplay established by "Super Mario Bros." and tweaked with it a bit. None of the games came close to the success its rival franchise has received.

I do know how it feels to be left out, though. Heck, none of the games from my other favorite franchise, "The Legend of Zelda", made the list either. But not being revolutionary doesn't make it a bad thing, you know.

#3 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:39 AM

My guess is Sonic was left out because the gameplay was too close to Mario, and Mario came first. As a big fan of the Sonic games myself, I think this is fair.

Pong definitely deserves an entry because it was the first commercially viable video arcade game.

I'm a bit of a Pac-Maniac, so I'm a little biased, but I think Pac-Man is definitely worthy. It was one of the first games to feature a character; it was one of the first video games that was neither a ball-and-paddle game nor about shooting; and it was one of the first video games to appeal to women. Case in point: my mother's favorite arcade game? Ms. Pac-Man.

Doom (or its predecessor Wolfenstein 3D) is pretty much a no-brainer for inclusion because it greatly changed the PC gaming landscape, far more than any other PC game in history. Even aside from its historical impact, it was a massive technical achievement as well.

Tetris single-handedly launched the puzzle-action game genre, and helped show us that even the most minimalistic of games can have amazing depth.

The only one that puzzles me a little is WoW. It's the most popular and most enduring MMORPG, but, as far as I know, it didn't break any new ground. I think Ultima Online or EverQuest would be more deserving. Or if we want to consider MMOs as a social phenomenon, then it should go to Second Life.

Yeah, it sucks that Sonic has to be left off, but if I had to pick only six games, I find it hard to quibble with those choices.

#4 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:51 AM

I understand the significance of these games to their respective genres and don't mean to say that, e.g. Doom wasn't a milestone. It was everywhere and everybody talked about it. Heck, I'd have played it myself at the time if I had a PC. However I'd much prefer for 7th choice to be Sonic the Hedgehog.

As for World of Warcraft, I completely agree. It's the most dominant MMORPG there ever was. Sure, it wasn't the first and it wasn't all that revolutionary at its start, yet it has managed to stay popular for over 10 years. It has trumped most of its competition and is still going strong. I have played it on and off for about 7 years. It's not as captivating as it was during Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King, but still, even now I absolutely enjoyed Warlords of Draenor levelling experience and its first raiding tier.

#5 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

The only one that puzzles me a little is WoW. It's the most popular and most enduring MMORPG, but, as far as I know, it didn't break any new ground. I think Ultima Online or EverQuest would be more deserving. Or if we want to consider MMOs as a social phenomenon, then it should go to Second Life.

My guess its because WoW was and still is such a cultural phenomenon that its practically the established ceiling for anyone who wants to make an MMORPG

I do know how it feels to be left out, though. Heck, none of the games from my other favorite franchise, "The Legend of Zelda", made the list either. But not being revolutionary doesn't make it a bad thing, you know.

LoZ shocked me as well. Though i bet Sonic and LoZ will be in next year

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#6 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

I've played half of NES and Megadrive/Genesis libraries, but never played any Legend of Zelda games in childhood. I heard they were really good, but never seen them at any rental in my town. None of my friends had them either. What are the chances?!

#7 DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek

Starship Captain

• Fellow FUSer
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., DOOM, and World of Warcraft...
Well. No wonder that sonic lost.  But maybe next time.

Edited by furrykef, 06 June 2015 - 04:58 AM.
Black text is unreadable on some themes

"You're watching a poster!"

#8 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., DOOM, and World of Warcraft...
Well. No wonder that sonic lost.  But maybe next time.

To be fair, the only one that didnt deserve to be there was Angry Birds

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#9 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

FIFA is easily the most questionable nominee, way more than Angry Birds. I can make a good case that Angry Birds belongs; FIFA has done what, exactly, to merit inclusion? I'm guessing it's the overseas equivalent of Madden -- in other words, the game that jocks and wannabe jocks buy every year -- but it can't be anything but a straightforward sports game, which means there isn't a lot of room for innovation. The FIFA series only goes back to 1993; Tecmo Bowl was released in 1987, and Madden goes back to 1988. I know it doesn't have as much international appeal, but if I had to nominate a sports game, it'd probably be Madden. NBA Jam would also be a strong candidate, since it was unusually innovative for a sports game and is fun as hell to play even today.

Meanwhile, Angry Birds is the definitive mobile game. It's the one game everybody has on their smartphone. Hell, I have Angry Birds and I barely even play mobile games! Like it or not, Angry Birds is the Super Mario Bros. of smartphone games, and if that isn't worthy of a Hall of Fame position, I don't know what is.

(Speaking of Mario, I'm surprised Super Mario 64 wasn't nominated. It's not really one of my most favoritest games ever, but its impact is impossible to deny.)

I think Minecraft is also a slightly questionable nominee. Yeah, it's one of the most popular games in the world, but it's too recent. (Angry Birds is recent, too, but it has a landmark status that, as far as I can figure, Minecraft does not.) Lots of games have been among the most popular in the world and later virtually forgotten.

#10 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hard for me to evaluate FIFA or Minecraft - I never played them and have no intention to start.

I'm not sure how much revolutionary Super Mario 64 was at the time, but I remember seeing it displayed on a TV in a local gaming store. I thought to myself that the graphics were insanely good, realistic and beautiful and whatnot.  :blush:  Of course I wanted to play it, but my parents wouldn't have bought me N64, so I didn't even ask them, bought Rock'n'Roll Racing for Megadrive that day and enjoyed it for years to come.

#11 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:58 PM

I blame the heavily divided fanbase and inconsistent continuity for Sonic not getting into the hall of fame.

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

I blame the heavily divided fanbase and inconsistent continuity for Sonic not getting into the hall of fame.

I blame the fact that most Sonic games are B quality at best.

#13 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

But the hall of fame was for the games, not for the character or series. Sonic 2006 being a piece of crap has no bearing on whether Sonic 1 through 3 were among the greatest games of all time, which they were by any reasonable standard.

They only didn't make it into the hall of fame because the competition was so stiff.

#14 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

Sonic 1 isn't all that great though. 2 and 3 were much better. If you try to go back to one you realize it was only B quality.

#15 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:02 AM

Sonic 1 was what put the Genesis on the map. It had been out for two years already, but nobody paid attention to it until Sonic 1 came out.

#16 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

But the hall of fame was for the games, not for the character or series. Sonic 2006 being a piece of crap has no bearing on whether Sonic 1 through 3 were among the greatest games of all time, which they were by any reasonable standard.

They only didn't make it into the hall of fame because the competition was so stiff.

Sonic 2006 wouldn't have been so bad if they changed the release date, and spent more work on it. And maybe give Blaze an important role. Maybe have her switch roles with Elise.

#17 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm kinda with both of you on this.  The games are "meh".  As well as the fanbase is all over.  

#18 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

I'm kinda with both of you on this.  The games are "meh".  As well as the fanbase is all over.  

It's like SEGA doesn't care.

#19 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

The SEGA Sonic games were very decent games.  They are still my favorite games to play.

As for gaming revolution, Sonic may have been similar to Mario's gameplay, but Sonic did kick things up a knotch with his speed.  His was one of the first games where you could increase your speed using the game's physics, explore various passages instead of following a linear course, use the collectable rings as your health meter, and have the character interact with the player (anybody remember the weird face Sonic gave you when he was idle?  Remember the constant foot tapping?).

I personally believe the early Sonic games did mark a change in video game history, but I guess it was not the change the experts were looking for.  If they really wanted to be detailed, they could try Pitfall as being the first platformer instead of Mario.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users