Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

Sonic 4 Is Offically Dead

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

http://www.sonicstad...then-cancelled/

It's been comfirmed that SEGA pulled the plug on Episode 3. Little Planet is doomed.
image.jpg

#2 Gojira007

Gojira007

Fellow FUSer

• Sea3on Writer
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

Not terribly surprising.  Episode 1 didn't exactly set the world on fire, and Episode 2, which came out way later than it probably should have given how short Ep. 1 was, fared even poorer.  On the one hand it's a shame, since it means a once-promising concept has been robbed of its last chance to redeem itself, but on the other, both prior "Sonic 4" episodes felt pretty nakedly like Nostalgia-coasting mediocrities; not without their charms, but also rather nakedly unoriginal and un-engaging.

"These hands of ours are BURNING RED! Their loud cry tells us..."
"To grasp happiness!"
"ERUPTING GOD FINGER!!! SEKI..."
"HA!"
"LOVE LOVE TENKYOKEN!!!"
-Domon Kasshu and Rain Mikamura, G-Gundam

#3 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Not terribly surprising. Episode 1 didn't exactly set the world on fire, and Episode 2, which came out way later than it probably should have given how short Ep. 1 was, fared even poorer. On the one hand it's a shame, since it means a once-promising concept has been robbed of its last chance to redeem itself, but on the other, both prior "Sonic 4" episodes felt pretty nakedly like Nostalgia-coasting mediocrities; not without their charms, but also rather nakedly unoriginal and un-engaging.

That, and "Generations" accomplished exactly what "Sonic 4" set out to do. Only to much bigger success.

Due to its massive reception around the world, I wouldn't be suprised if Sonic Team is currently planning a sequel for the franchise's upcoming 25 anniversary. Let's just hope the story will be better than last time.

#4 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

and Episode 2, which came out way later than it probably should have given how short Ep. 1 was, fared even poorer.

Episode 1 was an abomination unto mankind. The visuals offended the eyes, the physics were way off, the level design was bullshit, the music was boring, and the game was too short (not that I'd want to expose myself to even more of that torture). It felt like a Sonic knockoff, not a real Sonic game.

By Episode 2 they got it right except for the music and the length, which I can forgive. (Still a damn shame, though, since the original Sonic games had the best music on the Genesis.) If it fared poorly commercially, it's because people probably assumed it was like episode 1. The well was already poisoned. I nearly didn't give it a chance myself, but I don't regret playing it.

That said, I'm not particularly sad not to see an Episode 3. I'll grant that Episode 2 was still a shadow of the greatness of the Genesis games, and when you can't meet, let alone beat, what you did 20 years ago, that's sad.

#5 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

For me, I enjoyed both episodes, but I believe they've aged terribly compared to the original trilogy.

They're fucking dull.
image.jpg

#6 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

and Episode 2, which came out way later than it probably should have given how short Ep. 1 was, fared even poorer.

Episode 1 was an abomination unto mankind. The visuals offended the eyes, the physics were way off, the level design was bullshit, the music was boring, and the game was too short (not that I'd want to expose myself to even more of that torture). It felt like a Sonic knockoff, not a real Sonic game.

By Episode 2 they got it right except for the music and the length, which I can forgive. (Still a damn shame, though, since the original Sonic games had the best music on the Genesis.) If it fared poorly commercially, it's because people probably assumed it was like episode 1. The well was already poisoned. I nearly didn't give it a chance myself, but I don't regret playing it.

That said, I'm not particularly sad not to see an Episode 3. I'll grant that Episode 2 was still a shadow of the greatness of the Genesis games, and when you can't meet, let alone beat, what you did 20 years ago, that's sad.

This pretty much sums it up well.

It goes to show that more advance tech and a bigger budget won't necessarily make a game sell and shine, let alone be memorable like the Genisis Games (which I still find sold in places like Walmart today with countless throw-back consoles and ports).

#7 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Gameplay design and mechanics really can be timeless, as we're seeing here with Sonic 4 versus its predecessors.

Sonic 4 never felt like a genuine effort to me - it was more a case of the fact that New Super Mario Bros. was doing well so Sega decided to cash in on the trend and throw the retro crowd a bone. I don't think they were ever inevested that much for the idea of a true, honest-to-goodness continuation of the classic platform titles and it shows in the games.
Si unde vara cade într-o joi
Acolo eu o sã mor
Ori buni, ori rãi, tot un mormînt!
În vînt…

ffn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users