Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

Photo

Latest "sonic Boom" Episode

Sonic Boom episode episodes

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

On the other hand, shows like "Ren and Stimpy" are the pure opposite for me. They might have "quality" animation, but everything else (the humor, the characters, the direction, ect.) is unappealing by comparison. Thus I view it as one of the most overrated shows of all time.

THANK YOU!  I am not the only one!

*raises hand* I can agree about Ren and Stimpy. I'd still say it's a well-done show by all means, but there's something about the tone of it I find incredibly depressing. Same goes for shows like Courage, CatDog and a few others.
Si unde vara cade într-o joi
Acolo eu o sã mor
Ori buni, ori rãi, tot un mormînt!
În vînt…

ffn

#22 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

So, it's the former, then. :evo: This way, I don't have to worry about thinking less of your standards... I really don't care much when it comes to aesthetics. Sure, fancy bells and whistles and stuff make for nice icing on a good cake, but even fancy, super-delicious icing can't save a crap-pile of a cake. Yes, you CAN polish a turd. But in the end, it's still a trurd. I like to give things a try, because that's how we find lost gems and cult classics. A lot of my favorites end up getting panned by critics and the general public, (and sometimes even by entire fanbases), but they're downright enjoyable, in spite of whatever they're lacking. I like things that I can pull off a shelf and ENJOY watching or playing again. Hell, over half of my movie library could be put on MST3K, but that just makes it more fun (when I'd visit my friend in KC, he'd have coworkers come over for movie night and we'd have fun MSTing them [it was a hoot]). But, I refuse to ignore when something's so awful it hurts to watch/play/listen to/whatever, just because it "looks pretty". Hell, foxes are cute little critters, but I wouldn't reccommend that someone go and try to pick one up... And yet, there's people out there who'd do just that, with no thought of "hey, I'm going to get mauled and/or get rabies!". Someone has to watch out for the trick of flash-over-substance.

There are different ways of looking at things, but you don't always have to get a full dose of it in order to enjoy it. I mean, foxes are pretty yet potentially harmful, but you can still admire them without having to touch them. That's the reason why zoos exist.

Now, I wouldn't call "Sonic Boom" a beautiful show; but the writing, characters, and jokes make up for the rest of the entertainment. On the other hand, shows like "Ren and Stimpy" are the pure opposite for me. They might have "quality" animation, but everything else (the humor, the characters, the direction, ect.) is unappealing by comparison. Thus I view it as one of the most overrated shows of all time.

Again, it's all subjective to one's personal tastes. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

I believe we've come to an agreement. Or as close to one as is possible. I think we've both explained our subjective positions well enough, then. Right?

On the other hand, shows like "Ren and Stimpy" are the pure opposite for me. They might have "quality" animation, but everything else (the humor, the characters, the direction, ect.) is unappealing by comparison. Thus I view it as one of the most overrated shows of all time.

THANK YOU!  I am not the only one!

You never were the only one. I've hated that show since it's inception. This is why people need to pay more attentnion to what I say... :tsktsk:

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

#23 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

It seems I'm among the few here that enjoys Ren and Stimpy (granted I draw the line at the Adults Party Cartoon revival). It might also help I tune into John Kricfalusi's blogs, and can't help but feel I share a lot of his...characteristics when it comes to cartoons. :P

On the other hand, one thing you have to note is that the show was made by a guy who spent most of his early career frustrated by working on 70s and 80s Saturday Morning cartoons (which while maybe enjoyable as a whole, were usually pretty flat and soul less in terms of animation). Ren and Stimpy was sort of him letting steam out by doing something completely freestyle (though Nickelodeon still had to keep a heavy leash on it).

Ren and Stimpy also blatantly inspired AoSth.

#24 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

It seems I'm among the few here that enjoys Ren and Stimpy (granted I draw the line at the Adults Party Cartoon revival). It might also help I tune into John Kricfalusi's blogs, and can't help but feel I share a lot of his...characteristics when it comes to cartoons. :P

On the other hand, one thing you have to note is that the show was made by a guy who spent most of his early career frustrated by working on 70s and 80s Saturday Morning cartoons (which while maybe enjoyable as a whole, were usually pretty flat and soul less in terms of animation). Ren and Stimpy was sort of him letting steam out by doing something completely freestyle (though Nickelodeon still had to keep a heavy leash on it).

While I can understand his animosity towards cartoons like those, his style of art and direction just irks me in some way. Like he criticizes certain cartoons for having a certain style he dislikes, deeming them "ugly"; yet his style of characters looks even uglier by comparison. And he categorizes certain characters as being "boring" or "stock", when his own characters seem to be just as one-dimensional and reused as other cartoons before it.

Once again, it might just be another case of personal preference. Where one sees ugliness, another sees something beautiful.

#25 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

While I can understand his animosity towards cartoons like those, his style of art and direction just irks me in some way. Like he criticizes certain cartoons for having a certain style he dislikes, deeming them "ugly"; yet his style of characters looks even uglier by comparison. And he categorizes certain characters as being "boring" or "stock", when his own characters seem to be just as one-dimensional and reused as other cartoons before it.

Once again, it might just be another case of personal preference. Where one sees ugliness, another sees something beautiful.

It is of very acquired taste (even big fans are divided as to whether there was a point it went overboard) but it is something I feel has an under rated amount of character. Granted I've always felt quirkiness was under rated in how it represented character (I've felt more personality from Ian Flynn's one issue of Boom than I have his entire run on the mainstream comics for example). John K is obsessed with personality, and for better or worse, there's a lot of it on the show.

John K actually has some interesting views on characters in animation, if you look at his blog he has some amazingly detailed analysis's. You'd be surprised how much hidden subtext there is in that show:

http://johnkstuff.bl...ick-pathos.html

I suggest looking at some of his analysis's of old cartoons as well. They're a fun read at the very least.

What you have to keep in mind however is that John K was fired from the show less than half way in for being difficult with Nickelodeon (Adults Party was cancelled for similar reasons), and most of the people that have ever worked with him either adore him or hate his guts. :P

#26 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

What we really need is for them to bring back MEGAS XLR. Now there was a fun cartoon. Making fun of anime, and actually doing a really good job of depicting what would happen if you gave a redneck a giant robot to play with. Sure, the show wasn't deep and just mostly revolved around Coop beating up more badguys-of-the-week, but dammit, it was FUN.

#27 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

What we really need is for them to bring back MEGAS XLR. Now there was a fun cartoon. Making fun of anime, and actually doing a really good job of depicting what would happen if you gave a redneck a giant robot to play with. Sure, the show wasn't deep and just mostly revolved around Coop beating up more badguys-of-the-week, but dammit, it was FUN.

They've been trying, but the original episodes were written off for taxes, so they can't be on TV anymore.
image.jpg

#28 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

Well, the next episode of "Boom" just aired. And I must say... I'm deeply disappointed.

Okay, allow me to explain. The episode "Double Doomsday" basically involves Eggman hiring a stereotypical teenage employee to do his household chores, which places Orbot and Cubot in an even lower position. But the kid is an Eggman supporter and has intentions of becoming an evil villain by using Eggman's scrapped idea for a Doomsday device, so it's up to Sonic, Tails, and even the doctor himself to stop his plans from destroying all of existence.

The episode was an interesting concept on paper, but unfortunately, I can't remember much of it. It's probably the least memorable out of all the episodes so far. I'm not sure why, but I lost interest halfway during the episode (and that rarely ever happens). The teenage employee was an interesting choise for a new villian; but had they made him more creepy, I probably would've found him more memorable. It also has the most amount of toilet humor in the series so far (still no fart jokes, thankfully). The only bits I can recall laughing at were Eggman's little swanky jig at the checkout line, Orbot's discovery of Cubot's leftover remains (in a classic horror movie fashion), Eggman's line on why he prefers unpaid workers instead of robots, and the perfectly-logical reason to why Doomsday devices shouldn't have off-switches. Everything else, though, was just sorta there.

But the real disappointment was the fallowup. Normally, the next episode would prove to be the superior one; but nope. Instead, I was treated to a rerun of everyone's least favorite episode, "Buster". The real irony, though, is the fact that I remember this episode more than the previous one.

I just hope the next episodes are an improvement.

#29 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Well, the next episode of "Boom" just aired. And I must say... I'm deeply disappointed.

Okay, allow me to explain. The episode "Double Doomsday" basically involves Eggman hiring a stereotypical teenage employee to do his household chores, which places Orbot and Cubot in an even lower position. But the kid is an Eggman supporter and has intentions of becoming an evil villain by using Eggman's scrapped idea for a Doomsday device, so it's up to Sonic, Tails, and even the doctor himself to stop his plans from destroying all of existence.

The episode was an interesting concept on paper, but unfortunately, I can't remember much of it. It's probably the least memorable out of all the episodes so far. I'm not sure why, but I lost interest halfway during the episode (and that rarely ever happens). The teenage employee was an interesting choise for a new villian; but had they made him more creepy, I probably would've found him more memorable. It also has the most amount of toilet humor in the series so far (still no fart jokes, thankfully). The only bits I can recall laughing at were Eggman's little swanky jig at the checkout line, Orbot's discovery of Cubot's leftover remains (in a classic horror movie fashion), Eggman's line on why he prefers unpaid workers instead of robots, and the perfectly-logical reason to why Doomsday devices shouldn't have off-switches. Everything else, though, was just sorta there.

But the real disappointment was the fallowup. Normally, the next episode would prove to be the superior one; but nope. Instead, I was treated to a rerun of everyone's least favorite episode, "Buster". The real irony, though, is the fact that I remember this episode more than the previous one.

I just hope the next episodes are an improvement.

That actually reminds me of something that came up in a collaberative story I did once. "Never build a weapon of mass destruction without a shutdown failsafe, because you never know when someone might try to use it against you." -Rick Tyger's great grandpa (specifically, reguarding the bomb used to blow up D-1391's Earth).

#30 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

I think my final conclusion on the show thus far is:

I feel the show put too much reliance on the fact that it was going to take off because it was Sonic.  Sticks feels way too shoehorned in, like they expected her to quickly steal the limelight, but even though I admit she isn't the next Chris Thornedyke, she's still feels out of place as part of the main group.  They also seem to be hoping Robotnik's obsession with being evil, Knuckles's flat out stupidity, and Amy's....whatever the heck you call what happened to Amy with the "talking things out" and the "proper" and the "not stalking Sonic", were all going to be so big with fans that they wouldn't have to work on anything else.  Characters seem to be way to cardboard cut-out, all being on note characters.

Sonic is laid back.

Tails is smart.

Eggman is evil.

Knuckles is dumb.

Sticks is crazy.

Amy is....well she's really boring and uninteresting.  Is it bad that I want her to be the crazy fan girl again?

That said, the show, like many old Looney Tunes or Disney Cartoons are good for a quick laugh.  They don't always hit the nail on the head, but then again, I've never really been a big fan of Sylvester and Tweety, so for me Looney Tunes didn't always either.  I only wish they'd break up the shorts with a few more longer episodes, giving more time to work out jokes and have better action rather than pushing it to the side due to time-constraints.  

#31 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

Well, the show's mid-season finale was a much needed improvement compared to last week's episode.

Eggman's plan on turning Sonic into a clone of himself was not only funny, but also kinda clever. This was a unique change in the formula compared to his usual monster-of-the-week plan.

Plus, seeing Eggman as Sonic was amusing.

#32 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

I think my final conclusion on the show thus far is:

I feel the show put too much reliance on the fact that it was going to take off because it was Sonic.  Sticks feels way too shoehorned in, like they expected her to quickly steal the limelight, but even though I admit she isn't the next Chris Thornedyke, she's still feels out of place as part of the main group.  They also seem to be hoping Robotnik's obsession with being evil, Knuckles's flat out stupidity, and Amy's....whatever the heck you call what happened to Amy with the "talking things out" and the "proper" and the "not stalking Sonic", were all going to be so big with fans that they wouldn't have to work on anything else.  Characters seem to be way to cardboard cut-out, all being on note characters.

Sonic is laid back.

Tails is smart.

Eggman is evil.

Knuckles is dumb.

Sticks is crazy.

Amy is....well she's really boring and uninteresting.  Is it bad that I want her to be the crazy fan girl again?

That said, the show, like many old Looney Tunes or Disney Cartoons are good for a quick laugh.  They don't always hit the nail on the head, but then again, I've never really been a big fan of Sylvester and Tweety, so for me Looney Tunes didn't always either.  I only wish they'd break up the shorts with a few more longer episodes, giving more time to work out jokes and have better action rather than pushing it to the side due to time-constraints.  

Truthfully, I can make out tons of little extra depths to the cast, it doesn't make them huge ultra complex characters, but I think it makes them more than one note (this is the first in a long time I think they've got a good compromise of Tails' smart and childish personas).  Truthfully similar if not worse cases of Flanderization and formula fatigue have occurred in all medias of the show anyway, do we forget what happened in Season Two of Satam?. I might just feel this because I prefer quirkier and more whimsical interpretations over the more serious ones (I don't really find most of the well received Archie characterisations any less bland).

I like most of the episodes are sorta personality centric, focusing a little on a Slice of Life predicament and mixing it into their face off with Eggman, a simple formula but one that works with making personalities stick out (eg. Sonic's protectiveness of Tails in Sidekick or Amy's delusions of grandeur and etiquette in Fortress of Squallitude).

I agree on maybe having the odd feature length episode, maybe like FIM where the usual laid back setup is broken with a darker two parter.

#33 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

CN is airing Boom everyday until the end of the month.

Looks like CN is giving a thumbs up to Boom

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#34 Ogilvie

Ogilvie

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

A very savvy business move, I'd say.

The show garnered nearly one million views in week five. 1/3 of those were adults 18-45, but it sounds like it's a hit with the target demographic. And that's not even including the large numbers of people who haven't been watching it live.

What I'm really interested in is the merchandise sales, though. The merchandise is where the money is.

#35 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

A very savvy business move, I'd say.

The show garnered nearly one million views in week five. 1/3 of those were adults 18-45, but it sounds like it's a hit with the target demographic. And that's not even including the large numbers of people who haven't been watching it live.

What I'm really interested in is the merchandise sales, though. The merchandise is where the money is.
Got one of the toys as a preorder bonus. Haven't opened it yet, but it looks pretty cool. The options on the back look lame, only 6 characters 2 of which are sonics and two are eggmans.

#36 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

I've seen a couple of toys at Toys R Us.

The only characters they had were Sonic and Burn-Bot.
image.jpg

#37 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

New Episodes start up again on Saturday

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#38 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

Just watched the latest episode, "Guilt Tripping", and I thought it was okay. Not a bad episode, but nothing really noteworthy.

I guess my main problem with it was the Gogoba tribe. Their selfish habit of making any visitors feel guilty got a bit annoying, mostly because I can't stand people who really act like that. You know, the types that try making you feel depressed about having a car, when you need it just as much as everyone else? I consider myself a compassionate person, so it kinda grinds my gears whenever I see someone's sympathy being exploited for selfish gain. My condolences were with Sonic and Tails in that situation.

Aside from that, there were a few funny moments. Sonic and Tails trying to use reverse psychology on the Gogoba cheif and Fastidious Beaver's random cameo appearance were amusing, and the scene with Eggman leaving several recorded messages on Sonic's answering machine was hilarious. Also, is it just me, or did the show's animation quality improve a bit since the last couple episodes? It looked smoother and slightly more polished.

#39 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:48 AM

The CGI quality in my eyes has stayed more-or-less constant since day dot of the series (ie. pretty good).

Other than that I agree with your assessment - the Mexican standoff music and tumbleweed in the out-guilting scene got a laugh out of me.

It's a bit saddening to see that they seem to be sticking with only bringing out one new episode at a time now. I'm also a bit disappointed in the way they've treated Knuckles; when the series began, the impression I was getting was that he was he was supposed to be the bruiser of the group and the laid-back voice of reason, while in reality he's ended up treated as a muscle-bound knuckledragger* with no purpose asides from comic relief. In the meantime, Sticks has gone from one-note tinfoil hat wearer to actually pretty likeable.

* sorry
Si unde vara cade într-o joi
Acolo eu o sã mor
Ori buni, ori rãi, tot un mormînt!
În vînt…

ffn

#40 E122Psi

E122Psi

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:07 AM

Just watched the latest episode, "Guilt Tripping", and I thought it was okay. Not a bad episode, but nothing really noteworthy.

I guess my main problem with it was the Gogoba tribe. Their selfish habit of making any visitors feel guilty got a bit annoying, mostly because I can't stand people who really act like that. You know, the types that try making you feel depressed about having a car, when you need it just as much as everyone else? I consider myself a compassionate person, so it kinda grinds my gears whenever I see someone's sympathy being exploited for selfish gain. My condolences were with Sonic and Tails in that situation.

Aside from that, there were a few funny moments. Sonic and Tails trying to use reverse psychology on the Gogoba cheif and Fastidious Beaver's random cameo appearance were amusing, and the scene with Eggman leaving several recorded messages on Sonic's answering machine was hilarious. Also, is it just me, or did the show's animation quality improve a bit since the last couple episodes? It looked smoother and slightly more polished.

It wasn't a bad concept per se. They were annoying characters, but it was intentional on the writers' part and they played on what irritating and shamelessly underhanded people the likes of them are in real life. I think the problem arose more from the fact that after all of it there was no catharsis from them getting a comeuppance of any sort. They just placed them onto Eggman and let them gleefully continue their shtick with him. They aren't intolerable as one offs but I could see them becoming an irritance if they become regulars. It'd be akin to having Roger from American Dad or Megan from Drake and Josh become part of the recurring cast, this insufferable sociopath that always screws over the cast and gets their way.

On another note it was interesting to have a less Eggman dominant episode that focused more on Sonic and Tails.

Concerning Knuckles, I think the problem may be that he is the one character yet to have a spotlight episode (according to sources there is one or two underway, but we've yet to see them in action). Characters like him and Sticks generally act as comic relief in their non starring roles, getting better development when they're the star, hence maybe why Sticks has gotten better due to getting two limelight episodes. Look at characters like Pinkie Pie, who have fairly one note roles, their character development being limited to their days in limelight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sonic, Boom, episode, episodes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users