Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

Photo

Update: Columbia Pictures To Adapt Sonic Film

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,562 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Am I the only Sonic fan who actually enjoyed the live action fan film?

It was like a nice mixture of SATAM/Archie comics and Sonic Adventure 2, my three favourite things within the franchise (yes, SA2's my favourite Sonic game, don't judge).

My only niggles are the fact Sonics quills were too messy and a lot of the CG didn't clip onto the live action properly causing it to look as if it wasn't really there and wrecking the immersion but it was very low budget with a fairly small team compared to most film companies so it was good considering that.

I enjoyed it.  I mean the animation wasn't as good as I'd like, but I actually had it downloaded on my computer and watched it fairly regularly.  

Then my computer crashed and I lost it....but that happens. 

#22 GamemasterAnthony

GamemasterAnthony

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

Am I the only Sonic fan who actually enjoyed the live action fan film?

It was like a nice mixture of SATAM/Archie comics and Sonic Adventure 2, my three favourite things within the franchise (yes, SA2's my favourite Sonic game, don't judge).

My only niggles are the fact Sonics quills were too messy and a lot of the CG didn't clip onto the live action properly causing it to look as if it wasn't really there and wrecking the immersion but it was very low budget with a fairly small team compared to most film companies so it was good considering that.

You are not the only one.  My favorite part about that fan film...was Robotnik.  He was back to being in proper form as a villian who has the power to usurp humanity...and knows it.  You see this when he has a member of GUN in his lair and he is torturing him for info on Sonic.  He then goes into what I honestly think is one of the best speeches in villiany ever...where he calls humanity a privilage.  Seriously...watch that scene.  It expertly shows how good of a villian he is in this version of the Sonic universe.  But judge for yourself:

"Ah...humanity. Humanity was once a God given right. Now it's a privilege. You follow the rules...I allow you to keep it. But when you don't...you must lose your humanity."

#23 kamifox1

kamifox1

She of the million avatars

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

YES, thankyou! I was getting fed up with all the unnecessary hate towards a production that's actually amazing considering it's not even by a big team with lots of money but I'm so happy to see there ARE in fact other Sonic fans that like it!

kamifox1.png

#24 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

YES, thankyou! I was getting fed up with all the unnecessary hate towards a production that's actually amazing considering it's not even by a big team with lots of money but I'm so happy to see there ARE in fact other Sonic fans that like it!

I won't say it get unnecessary hate. It was hated for many reason.

The paperthin story with a lack of structure for exemple was one of the main problem. There's no story in this film! Sure, stuff happen, but there isn't any structure, no focus. So the result felt more like a bunch of stuff that happen here and there with little to no connexion.

The writting and acting of some character was between bad to simply abysmal. Robotnik was simply the best part. Sonic, even by being voiced by Jaleel White himself, is not enough to get through the terrible writting he has to deal with. The rest of the cast was simply terrible.

The internet celebrety cameo was just unnecessary. And last but not least: The visual/special effect. Even by fan film standard, it was bad. Sonic look creepy at best, and the inclusion of the CGI character was poorly implement into the environment.

If my english can look like crap, don't kill me...please? French is my native language!
PS: I love bacon. Why? Because i said so...(i also love the Dreamcast)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZoneofDoom

#25 kamifox1

kamifox1

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Again, it was low budget + small team, of course it won't be perfect and I saw it more as a teaser than anything, personally. If you look at it that way, everything you mentioned can be excused, really.

Besides which, Sonic really didn't look that bad, it was just the front mouth thing that was odd but it's much easier to animate mouths that way and it was probably an amateur creation anyway. Oh and the writing was no worse than any of the cartoons or games.

Again, it is unnecessary. It's all created by relative amateurs with a low budget and small team, I doubt any of the haters could do any better in the same position.

kamifox1.png

#26 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

I enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm ashamed to say though that my favorite parts were the Nerd and the Critic's cameos.
image.jpg

#27 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Again, it was low budget + small team, of course it won't be perfect and I saw it more as a teaser than anything, personally. If you look at it that way, everything you mentioned can be excused, really.

Besides which, Sonic really didn't look that bad, it was just the front mouth thing that was odd but it's much easier to animate mouths that way and it was probably an amateur creation anyway. Oh and the writing was no worse than any of the cartoons or games.

Again, it is unnecessary. It's all created by relative amateurs with a low budget and small team, I doubt any of the haters could do any better in the same position.

Well, i kinda have to disagree at some of the point you made. Like being a fan project is not an excuse for poor production. I saw many fan production that find a way to get over the budget limitation and make something outstanding, but not with this film.

The writting was bad. Sonic SatAM has a much better writting and has some clever moment. The Sonic fan film have really cringe and akward moment. The story feel disconnected and disjointed. And again, fan production or not, these flaw remain flaw.

If my english can look like crap, don't kill me...please? French is my native language!

#28 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Well, i kinda have to disagree at some of the point you made. Like being a fan project is not an excuse for poor production. I saw many fan production that find a way to get over the budget limitation and make something outstanding, but not with this film.

The writting was bad. Sonic SatAM has a much better writting and has some clever moment. The Sonic fan film have really cringe and akward moment. The story feel disconnected and disjointed. And again, fan production or not, these flaw remain flaw.

You cant rule out the possibility that SEGA could have said something to them.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#29 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm sorry, but you lost me. I'm not sure what you want to say....

#30 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

I'm sorry, but you lost me. I'm not sure what you want to say....

It seems like if someone does anything with Sonic and Sega finds out about them SEGA gives their two cents into it.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#31 GamemasterAnthony

GamemasterAnthony

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

Well, I do know for a fact that Yugi Naka, the guy who actually CREATED Sonic, liked the fan film.  That says much in my book.  Though, I'm not sure if that qualifies as SEGA chiming in.

But here's the one big question I have:  How in the holy name of Gaia/Destiny/Great Tree/Hylia/Amaterasu did LeBron convince JALEEL WHITE to reprise his voice work for Sonic?!?

#32 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Well, I do know for a fact that Yugi Naka, the guy who actually CREATED Sonic, liked the fan film.  That says much in my book.

He was the co-creator to be more exact. Yuji Naka was mainly the programmer in the earlier games.

Also, he's responsible for monstrocity like Sonic 06. Co-creator of Sonic or not, that not saying much...

#33 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,562 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Well, I do know for a fact that Yugi Naka, the guy who actually CREATED Sonic, liked the fan film.  That says much in my book.

He was the co-creator to be more exact. Yuji Naka was mainly the programmer in the earlier games.

Also, he's responsible for monstrocity like Sonic 06. Co-creator of Sonic or not, that not saying much...

Nobody in the gaming industry has a perfect record with games.  Just because they made a bad game or two doesn't mean their opinions are less valid. 

#34 kamifox1

kamifox1

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

But here's the one big question I have:  How in the holy name of Gaia/Destiny/Great Tree/Hylia/Amaterasu did LeBron convince JALEEL WHITE to reprise his voice work for Sonic?!?

I have the exact same question! How did a FAN project, of all things, manage to convince such a celebrity to take part?! It also brings the question, why don't/can't SEGA? He's the best Sonic voice ever, he definitely trumps anyone who ever voiced him in a game. He captured the original idea of the "cool, blue dude with the attitude" perfectly! Everyone who ever voiced him in the games made him either completely dull and boring with little to no personality, sounding like they were reading a script while they were at it or (no offence to anyone here who's mentally disabled in any way but) a complete retard, for lack of a better term. The one he has now in Colours and Lost World is the best one he's had in a game but still doesn't quite have it perfect, like Jaleel did.

Nobody in the gaming industry has a perfect record with games.  Just because they made a bad game or two doesn't mean their opinions are less valid. 

Yeah, everyone has at least one bad creation in every industry, doesn't make them a bad person or stop their opinion from mattering. Everyone makes mistakes, he's only human, after all.

kamifox1.png

#35 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, maybe, but saying Yuji Naka like the film doesn't mean it's good.

It's not because i like the 1993 Super mario Bros movie it mean it's good. It simply mean that i like a terrible movie. Same thing apply with the Sonic fan film: If someone like it, doesn't mean it's good for sure.

Yeah, everyone has at least one bad creation in every industry, doesn't make them a bad person or stop their opinion from mattering. Everyone makes mistakes, he's only human, after all.

Opinion has no value on the quality. If a movie is bad, it's bad. It's not like i could choose the quality or anything. If someone hate a good film and someone love a bad one, the opinion still hold no value whatsoever.

Steven Speilber for exemple has made bad movie in his career. His bad movie remain bad movie and his good movie remain good movie.

#36 kamifox1

kamifox1

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, maybe, but saying Yuji Naka like the film doesn't mean it's good.

It's not because i like the 1993 Super mario Bros movie it mean it's good. It simply mean that i like a terrible movie. Same thing apply with the Sonic fan film: If someone like it, doesn't mean it's good for sure.

Opinion has no value on the quality. If a movie is bad, it's bad. It's not like i could choose the quality or anything. If someone hate a good film and someone love a bad one, the opinion still hold no value whatsoever.

Steven Speilber for exemple has made bad movie in his career. His bad movie remain bad movie and his good movie remain good movie.

But whether something's good or bad often depends on opinion anyway, it's up to the fans to decide whether they agree with Yuji Nakas opinion or not, him saying he likes it doesn't mean it's good or bad. On the same note, him making one or two bad games has absolutely no relevance to anyones opinion on a film, this was our points. There was absolutely no reason to bring that fact up within that context, especially since no one actually said that his opinion meant the film was good, the person who mentioned Yujis opinion simply said it means much to them, meaning they choose to agree with him.

kamifox1.png

#37 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

But whether something's good or bad often depends on opinion anyway,

Hum...no. If you can like the style of a film for exemple is related to an opinion. The quality of the writting, the presentation or things like that are not in any way related to opinion.

I didn't say the movie was bad because it's ''my opinion'', but because the movie is legitimately bad. We have standard that define of what is considered good and what's not. To be honest, i don't care about people opinion on the matter, just as much as people probably don't care about my opinion. And i don't mind that, since opinion doesn't mean anything here.

I have mention the reason why this movie wasn't good earlier. These are the flaw i notice from this film. You can ignore them, you can fail to notice them, you can denied them, but these flaw will still be there, and the movie will still suffer from it. If these flaw don't bother you, then it's entirely up to you. But you can't used the ''it's an opinion'' as an argument on this.

#38 kamifox1

kamifox1

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

But whether something's good or bad often depends on opinion anyway,

Hum...no. If you can like the style of a film for exemple is related to an opinion. The quality of the writting, the presentation or things like that are not in any way related to opinion.

I didn't say the movie was bad because it's ''my opinion'', but because the movie is legitimately bad. We have standard that define of what is considered good and what's not. To be honest, i don't care about people opinion on the matter, just as much as people probably don't care about my opinion. And i don't mind that, since opinion doesn't mean anything here.

I have mention the reason why this movie wasn't good earlier. These are the flaw i notice from this film. You can ignore them, you can fail to notice them, you can denied them, but these flaw will still be there, and the movie will still suffer from it. If these flaw don't bother you, then it's entirely up to you. But you can't used the ''it's an opinion'' as an argument on this.

Ok, look, bad writing, acting and luckluster story: trust me, all the Sonic games and Sonic X (all official parts of the franchise) have much worse writing, acting and story, it's what the majority of Sonic fans hate most about them. I also understood that the film we've seen was actually a form of teaser for a project that was never completed which is why the story goes a bit all over the place, however, the start, especially the explanation of why Mobians are there, was very good for a fan production. This is why I disagree with your opinion that you claim isn't an opinion on these things, I know for a fact it's really not that bad in these areas because I've seen much worse from the franchises own creators on countless occasions therefore that side of the hate is unnecessary.

I already said about the fact the CG doesn't fit onto the live action properly in my first post in this thread, that was one of my only niggles. The models themselves, however, were actually VERY good for a fan production. The only downside there was Sonics front mouth but, as I already stated, it's much easier to animate mouths that way. 

It would appear, by what you said in your initial response, that you haven't seen many fan productions. I may be wrong, in which case I'm sorry but that's the impression I got. Trust me, decent ones are very hard to come by and this isn't the worst by a long shot, again, making all the hate unjustified.

kamifox1.png

#39 Alextendo

Alextendo

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

By a lack of other Sonic Fan film make it understandable that people got attached by the little they have. But you have to take in consideration that even if you don't like to ear it, this particular movie is not good. I agree that Sonic should deserved better. But what can i say, and what can i do about it? Nothing, beside hoping to see something better one day.

Aslo, please stop trying to pretend that i only want to force my ''opinion''. Like i said, i don't care about opinion, neither should you. Objectivity is what people should care, not subjectivity. If someone is trying to convince me that the grass is blue, and i reply it is green, only to be told that it is only green by ''my opinion'', then no, it doesn't work that way. I can't choose this, just as much that i can't change the quality of this fan film, because i have no control over this.

And when you said i haven't watch many fan production, this is where i need to make you know that i do know MANY fan film. Since i have saw many fan production, i can actually name many fan film that are way better than the Sonic fan film, especially in term of visual/special effect:

-Silent Hill: Anniversary

-Pac Man: the Movie

-Halo HellJumper

-Killzone Intercept

-Fistfull of Rupee

-Stalker Monolith Whisper Remake (unfinished project)

-Halo Faith (unfinished project)

-Beyond Black Mesa

-Enter the Freeman

-Escape from city 17

-Half-Life Singularity Collaspe

-What's in the Box? (Half-Life short fan film)

....and maybe more that i have forget. I know how fan project can be good....unfortunatly, the Sonic one isn't. Belive me, i didn't want it to fail....but it did anyway. As much as it disapoint me, there isn't anything i can do about it.

PS: This fan film was never intended to be a teaser or a small part of a bigger project. This is what was planned in the first place and that was the result.

Warning: i'm moving to an appartment tommorow. So if anyone want to reply to this comment, i'm not going to be able to anwser. Since i'm going to be busy in the following days, i'm not gonna be around for probably the next week or so.

#40 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Actually, opinion DOES play an important part in determing wether a film/series is bad or not. It all depends on how the general audience reacts to it. If most of them liked it, it's regearded as a good film that most will probably find enjoyable. On the other hand, if most of them hated it, it's generally regearded as a bad movie. Don't believe me? Check out Rotten Tomatoes.

But despite what they're deemed, there's bound to be people who have the opposite opinion. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" as the saying goes. For example, a film that's widely regearded as a classic may not be someone else's cup of tea; they may find it overrated and ridden with problems that only they find unappealing. And a film that nearly everyone hates could be someone else's favorite, because they found enjoyment in something which fits their tastes.

It also depends on what group you appeal to, as well. For example, action films are widely welcomed in the U.S.; but in countries like Russia (where violence in media is frowned upon), most viewers will find it offensive and despise it. Another good example are religious films; even if it's globally regarded as a good film, certain people will hate it for taking creative liberties with the source material or depicting something sacred onscreen. In some countries, certain films are completely banned for those very reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users