Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

Photo

When Sonic Movie Projects Are Almost Made...

Movie Projects

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Before I post this topic.. this is not about bashing Ken or anybody.. It's all about when Sonic Movie Projects was almost made. And it's not just Ken try to make a movie, Ben Hurst almost try to make a Sonic Movie.. Until.. read this part of this web site:  http://info.sonicret...ehog_(TV_series)

Here's the proof:

"The last known major attempt at launching the continuation of the series was when Ben Hurst, while talking through DiC in 2002, was told that he should speak to SEGA about the idea, as ultimately it was up to them. Getting in contact with SEGA of America, Ben Hurst later received a phone call from Ken Penders who said he had heard that the writer was interested in getting a Sonic film off the ground. The two spoke at length, Mr. Hurst revealing his ideas of not only putting together a film, but also working in tangent with the gaming side of SEGA to help spur ideas that both could use. Shortly after, Ben Hurst got back in contact with SEGA only to find that Ken Penders had gotten in contact before him, sharing Ben Hurst's intentions and causing a strain between Ben and the person he had contacted within SEGA. He later discovered that Ken Penders had his own intentions of making a feature film that ultimately went nowhere, though it is unknown if Mr. Penders had intentionally caused friction or if was just a moment of Ken speaking without tact at presenting an idea that wasn't his own."

Yep... Ben Hurst almost try... and here's some storyboards made from Ken Penders:

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_500.jpg

0064bb80-bd8a-4e95-b74c-86f28e375cb7_zps

tumblr_lymvifew3F1rnsvazo1_500.jpg

e766d8fc-9148-4c54-bde2-d3fa2dfe8b9a_zps

Is that Sonic's Daddy? I thought he was a robot in the comics? :biggrin:

Anyway, I also remember Richard Kuta (I know he's part of the FUS message board, so let's respect him) He did write a Sonic script, try to contact Sega, he also made this fan made movie.. you comment on this: 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sOPaov-5-WY

So... is there any other people that were trying to make a Sonic Movie Project?? And post your comments about these almost made Sonic Movie Projects.

#2 Louis the Hedgehog

Louis the Hedgehog

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

I already mentioned this before but here is someone who fits the bill.

http://valkerieleone...-idea-400518969

And I cannot discuss the details in the script because I signed a notarized agreement saying that I would not spoil anything. But believe me it is well written.

Now the latest I've heard is that they "didn't give him the license but did not shoot him down completely", and I have no idea what that means by that last little detail.

So what keeps things from reaching the final step? The rusty grip of SoJ? Lack of interest? Too little cash? What?

A petition to keep up to a third of the characters in the sonic comics from being lost forever.

https://www.change.o...-hedgehog-comic

To those who want to give this "new direction" a chance, don't say I didn't warn you.

#3 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

So in other words Penders ruined Ben Hurst attempt to make a Sonic film??

Fan-f*cking-tastic

Now the latest I've heard is that they "didn't give him the license but did not shoot him down completely", and I have no idea what that means by that last little detail.

So what keeps things from reaching the final step? The rusty grip of SoJ? Lack of interest? Too little cash? What?

In other words they shot him down but he's bending it to make it seem like theirs hope. Most people who get rejected will say that to keep the hope alive

They want one of their own to do anything, not some random Joe Shmoe off of the 'net. SOJ probably has something in mind but only when the time is right (when they are 110% sure they fully recovered from '06) There's interest and cash.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#4 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I already mentioned this before but here is someone who fits the bill.

http://valkerieleone...-idea-400518969

And I cannot discuss the details in the script because I signed a notarized agreement saying that I would not spoil anything. But believe me it is well written.

You also want to make a Sonic movie? Well, I don't think Sega listen to random people.. unless if you work in Hollywood or some sort. Or if you find a entertainment lawyer.. maybe it'll work? I don't know...

#5 Prime

Prime

Shuffle up the Wildcards! And deal 'em!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

Rob, those aren't storyboards for Ken's "movie". Those are just promotional/concept artwork pieces. Those are way too detailed to be storyboards and if they were storyboards, there would a sequence of them to plan out the scenes.

Also, it was revealed that after Ben's pitch to Sega went down the drain, Pender's had gone about saying that "The reason Ben's idea fell through is because he doesn't know how Hollywood works". That right there made me laugh at Penders because Ben Hurst had much more experience working in Hollywood then he ever did. Sure, Ben's credits were mostly for animated shows, but he has a credit for one movie as a writer. What does Penders have? Nothing at all. Oh, apart from a fuckin terrible trailer to a "movie" based off of his "best selling" comic The Lost Ones, a "movie" he was writing and "directing" himself. Seriously, go look it up on Youtube, might be the most fun you'll have a laughing at someone today.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#6 Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Running Wild

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

You know, is it just me or does Mobius (presumably) Exploding and them being on a space shit remind anyone else of Star Trek or Battlestar? Granted I never watched a lot of Star Trek and never watched Battlestar at all but it seems like from the concept art Ken made it looks like that's where the story is heading if there ever was one, Sonic and Co along with a LOAD of surviving Mobians trying to find a new home while Eggman and Snivily are trying to catch them and rule over a new world, considering that Ken wrote a lot of Star Trek stuff before going to Archie Sonic that's not a big stretch. It's probable that this concept art was mainly Ken's pitch at a Sonic Movie rather then anything else. Ultimately with the vibes I'm getting the concept is okay I guess but for the first theatrical Sonic Movie I can see why it never went anywhere, and while some of his work is okay to pretty good back then I know that a Sonic Film under Ken's Concepts wouldn't have worked that out well AT ALL.

It's a real shame that Ben couldn't make a SatAM Movie though, I believe those were the only attempts to make a Sonic Movie, if we want to watch a Sonic Movie then there is always the OVA, it doesn't exactly count but it is pretty good.

Seriously, HOW THE HELL did nobody know that Robotnik was evil!? I mean just look at those red, glowing, hellish eyes, oh yeah I can completely trust that guy with my life! *sarcasm*

#7 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Rob, those aren't storyboards for Ken's "movie". Those are just promotional/concept artwork pieces. Those are way too detailed to be storyboards and if they were storyboards, there would a sequence of them to plan out the scenes.

Whatever.. don't know why some people think this was Ken's Sonic Movie Project was almost made :/ I don't know...

Also, it was revealed that after Ben's pitch to Sega went down the drain, Pender's had gone about saying that "The reason Ben's idea fell through is because he doesn't know how Hollywood works". That right there made me laugh at Penders because Ben Hurst had much more experience working in Hollywood then he ever did. Sure, Ben's credits were mostly for animated shows, but he has a credit for one movie as a writer. What does Penders have? Nothing at all. Oh, apart from a fuckin terrible trailer to a "movie" based off of his "best selling" comic The Lost Ones, a "movie" he was writing and "directing" himself. Seriously, go look it up on Youtube, might be the most fun you'll have a laughing at someone today.

Yeah.. I know I've said this topic is not about bashing Ken or someone... I guess it shows of how selfish he is. I don't know if he is, I meet him once.. he was nice.. but I don't know him personally. And yea, I did sort of seen The Lost Ones.... it's like watching a no-good student film. 

It's a real shame that Ben couldn't make a SatAM Movie though, I believe those were the only attempts to make a Sonic Movie, if we want to watch a Sonic Movie then there is always the OVA, it doesn't exactly count but it is pretty good.

I enjoy the OVA :) It wasn't that great, but the animation (Makers from Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Bleach) looks pretty good. I still give that movie a decent rating.. and that Sera human character.. I wonder if she's Chris Thorndyke long lost sister? :biggrin:

Oh! I remember this guy who works as a storyboard artists from Family Guy... I remember his name was Matthew.. and he post a blog here that he's interest to make a Sonic SatAM Movie or TV Series... if some of you know what I'm talking about, then post more details here.  

#8 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

In other words they shot him down but he's bending it to make it seem like theirs hope. Most people who get rejected will say that to keep the hope alive

They want one of their own to do anything, not some random Joe Shmoe off of the 'net. SOJ probably has something in mind but only when the time is right (when they are 110% sure they fully recovered from '06) There's interest and cash.

More Accurately, Sega Of Japan likely didn't shoot him down but rather said they weren't interested at the moment.  While SEGA isn't going to let some "Joe Shmoe" make a Sonic movie, they aren't going around smashing anyone's dreams either.  They don't know how well it'll will go, and they don't know if it'll be worth the time or effort, but that doesn't mean it's completely out of the question.  More than likely he'd have to first get a famous writer/director/producer to take interest in his idea first.  Once they are on board, than submit it to SEGA.

Also, it was revealed that after Ben's pitch to Sega went down the drain, Pender's had gone about saying that "The reason Ben's idea fell through is because he doesn't know how Hollywood works". 

Because SEGA of JAPAN is totally a Hollywood Company.  xD

#9 Prime

Prime

• Fellow FUSer
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Because SEGA of JAPAN is totally a Hollywood Company.   xD

Ben was actually dealing with Sega of America for his movie idea.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#10 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Because SEGA of JAPAN is totally a Hollywood Company.   xD

Ben was actually dealing with Sega of America for his movie idea.
It's still not a Hollywood company.

#11 Prime

Prime

• Fellow FUSer
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Fair point, but if yer gonna make a movie based off an existing property, then you need to license said property from the owner. No license, no chance of a movie to begin with.

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Fair point, but if yer gonna make a movie based off an existing property, then you need to license said property from the owner. No license, no chance of a movie to begin with.

True but until you get the license you ain't even worrying about the Hollywood part. 

#13 Prime

Prime

• Fellow FUSer
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Holy shit... I just realised something in the second picture...

That's not Knuckles, that must be Ken Pender's totally unrelated to any Sonic character and original creation Nuckles! Look at his shoes! LOOK AT THEM! Those aren't Knuckles' shoes at all!

#14 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Holy shit... I just realised something in the second picture...

That's not Knuckles, that must be Ken Pender's totally unrelated to any Sonic character and original creation Nuckles! Look at his shoes! LOOK AT THEM! Those aren't Knuckles' shoes at all!

Mother of Mobius you're right

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#15 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

onepiecejawdrop.jpg

#16 FormerlyAKnotholeResident

FormerlyAKnotholeResident

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

All of the above honestly, especially involving fan projects.  In fact, Ill give you the condensed version of the process I went through in 2007 when my film was intended for theaters. 

Contacted Sega of America in 2006.  Sega of America arranges a meeting.  Sega of America approves idea; relays concept to Sega of Japan.  Sega of Japan expresses interest in 2007 by stipulation that we meet certain requirements before they officially approve anything ie wanting a big budget studio with reputable actors.  Hired an agent; invested my entire summer traveling to to 6 different studios for pitch presentations.  Universal Pictures in conjunction with DiC Entertainment jumps on board that Fall.  Universal arranges a collaborative meeting with DiC, Sega of America and Sega of Japan (on conference call).  Sega of Japan rejects the idea since they claim they were working on their own film.  Universal and Sega of America try to negotiate but to no avail.  Sega of Japan sends retraining order to me and my agent accusing us of harassment during said negotiations.  

I still saved all the emails and letters from SoA and SoJ to confirm this. 

#17 DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek

Starship Captain

• Fellow FUSer
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

Long Before the Boom Blitz, Other Plans

A new audio interview published Monday by the Press the Buttons Podcast reveals the idea of a Sonic movie, now firmly entrenched in the minds of fans around the world, is not a new idea.

Console Wars author Blake Harris revealed in the Podcast that in the midst of his research for the book detailing the great battle between Sega and Nintendo for supremacy during the 1990s, he came across plans for MGM to release a Sonic film–in 1994.

I’ve continued to conduct interviews with people, just to try and get more context, and I’ve also continued to try to get my hands on as much archival material as I can. Some of it can obviously be helpful to the documentary, but I recently found — I came across a contract that Sega had with MGM in 1994 to produce a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, which I didn’t know about, and I’m sure it couldn’t weave its way into the book…

Harris adds it was intended was an animated movie.

It’s not the only Sonic or Sega related story you’ll hear in the interview that may not be in Console Wars. You can hear more with Harris at this at this link. Thanks to Matthew Green of Press the Buttons for tipping us. If you have news to share, be sure to share it with us. Click Send Tips at the top of every page, or tip us on Twitter.

Source

MGMlogo.png

What do you think?

"You're watching a poster!"

#18 Alex Hedgefox

Alex Hedgefox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

Technically we already have a Sonic movie (aka the Sonic OVA):

I only bring this up for these 4 reasons

1. The planet in the movie is called "Planet Freedom" (which is kinda keeping that message of Freedom, like the "Freedom Fighters" had)

2. The robots that Dr. Robotnik had holding Sara and The President hostage look like upgraded SWATbots from Sonic SatAM

3. Dr. Robotnik flat-out said that the city he lives in the lower/inner part of the planet is called "Robotropolis"

4. The stuff that came out of Metal Robotnik's rear, stuck tails to the fence, and stuck Sonic and Knuckles to the ground could've been a form of Mega-Muck

But if the Sonic OVA isn't your cup of tea for a Sonic movie (more specifically a Sonic SatAM movie, maybe what Sony Pictures has planed will be: http://www.ign.com/a...ie-is-happening

#19 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,563 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Did you know: Sonic X started production around the Release of the OVA? Originally X was going to be the same world but after a long developement period they made it its own universe.

#20 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

And there were supposed to be other Mobians in X as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users