Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (25 May 2020 - 09:38 AM)

I can handle it, but why do you want to delete your account?

@  Lito290 : (24 May 2020 - 09:02 PM)

How does one request the deletion of their account?

@  VHS : (21 May 2020 - 04:04 PM)

I gotta join that then

@  Shadow : (14 May 2020 - 01:17 PM)

Sure is. A lot more lively than here.

@  VHS : (02 May 2020 - 08:31 AM)

Oh shoot there's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 06:58 PM)

It's a disagreement between two people...n judging what goes on in there sometimes that's a very apt description xD

@  John Roberts : (25 April 2020 - 05:34 PM)

What's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 04:15 PM)

Activity is spread across forum, discord 'n the site chat room. There's life, it's just hiding under different rocks :D

@  RedAuthar : (25 April 2020 - 04:13 PM)

It's still slow. We ain't dead. Just close

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Wait, I thought this place wasn't dead, it seemed active

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:20 AM)

I LIVE

@  wildfire : (22 April 2020 - 10:57 AM)

Ya know John, I wouldn't be surprised if it was me. At least I'm a bit more active these days

@  chief : (20 April 2020 - 05:24 PM)

Discod stays going pretty good

@  Nex : (20 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Is the Discord busy? Still trying t figure out where most of you monkeys hang out.

@  MauEvig : (19 April 2020 - 07:58 PM)

Well, I'll be chilling on the Discord. :)

@  John Roberts : (19 April 2020 - 12:32 PM)

It's just you, Wildfire. You're killing us mate!

@  wildfire : (19 April 2020 - 09:01 AM)

To be fair, there are more rapid forms of communication these days. The Discord server sees a far bit of attention. I remember the IRC too, but that's dead last I looked

@  MauEvig : (18 April 2020 - 08:10 PM)

A shame. And here I'm finally getting back into the spirit of everything Sonic. Well maybe we just need to liven things up. :)

@  furrykef : (18 April 2020 - 06:38 PM)

The forum's pretty dead at the best of times, really.

@  MauEvig : (18 April 2020 - 08:36 AM)

lol join the club @wildfire

Photo

The Ff’s Chances Of Coming Back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

Sally is best girl

• Fellow FUSer
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:45 AM

Let’s be honest, it isn’t great.
I would love to see the Freedom Fighters come back, and I will continue to vouch for them, but I don’t know if we’ll ever get them in the comics again.
And that’s kind of what bothers me. SatAM and even the Archie comics at points, both had much deeper storylines and characters when compared to the games. I’ve heard people say that the FF have “had a good run,” implying that us fans should just let the cannon die, but what about the main cannon that the games follow now? I’m my opinion, that has gotten annoying as the writers can’t think of anything to do with Sonic and friends anymore, and it’s been running longer then the SatAM continuity.

In other words, although it seems this may never happen, imagine if not only the FF came back, but they were the main cannon? Wouldn’t that add a whole lot of epic ness and inject new lift into the series?
Granted, if you keep the same writers, nothing will change, but maybe change those around too. Add some quality control for the stories.

I don’t know, this post is a stream of consciousness, but I hope you get where I’m coming from. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Also, have I been posting too many topics lately? I feel like I post a new one every day and I don’t want to annoy the members with all my thoughts, haha.

#2 Prime

Prime

"Son, I am disappoint"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:33 AM

I would love to see the Freedom Fighters come back, and I will continue to vouch for them, but I don’t know if we’ll ever get them in the comics again.
And that’s kind of what bothers me. SatAM and even the Archie comics at points, both had much deeper storylines and characters when compared to the games. I’ve heard people say that the FF have “had a good run,” implying that us fans should just let the cannon die, but what about the main cannon that the games follow now? I’m my opinion, that has gotten annoying as the writers can’t think of anything to do with Sonic and friends anymore, and it’s been running longer then the SatAM continuity.

In other words, although it seems this may never happen, imagine if not only the FF came back, but they were the main cannon? Wouldn’t that add a whole lot of epic ness and inject new lift into the series?
Granted, if you keep the same writers, nothing will change, but maybe change those around too. Add some quality control for the stories.

I don’t know, this post is a stream of consciousness, but I hope you get where I’m coming from. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Also, have I been posting too many topics lately? I feel like I post a new one every day and I don’t want to annoy the members with all my thoughts, haha.

While it would be nice to have new versions of those characters appear again, we should be thankful for what we got of them.

Let's be fair here, when it comes to the Freedom Fighters, we already have three versions of them. We have the SatAM take on the characters, we have the original Archie timeline and we had the "Nu252" reboot timeline. Now I know some fans consider Archie to be a continuation of SatAM, but I've always seen them as two seperate entities/continuities. Archie had a tendency of bringing in aspects and elements from all different kinds of Sonic spin-offs and continuities that I don't see Archie as a true continuation of SatAM, especially when you consider that in the beginning it was very much AoStH like with the Freedom Fighters thrown in.

And let's look at what we got. We got 2 seasons of 26 episodes of the characters in SatAM (don't really include Sally's appearance in Christmas Blast as it's a just a voiceless cameo). Now granted 26 episodes doesn't seem like a lot, but considering that when it comes to all the Sonic shows produced, SatAM is often regarded as one of the best ones and I'd rather a solid series with a smaller episode count than something that ran for say 6 seasons with over 100+ where they were running out of ideas. Keep in mind that cartoon production was different to comics. Back then cartoons could have anywhere up to 65 episodes produced in a single year so writing character development in such a short space is going to suffer, especially if you have multiple writers who all don't collaborate with each other.

Now if we look over Archie timelines, that's nearly 25 years worth of material, hundreds of issues including spin-off series, mini-series and one shots. Nearly 25 years with those characters. That's an incredible run for sure and something to be proud of for a spin-off comic series that when it was created was pretty much meant to promote both AoStH and SatAM. But Archie wasn't always stellar. A lot of it was pretty bland or outright terrible at times.

I'm okay if the Freedom Fighters or any characters created by Archie or in other spin-off material don't appear in say the IDW comics or the games. Because these continuities are their own thing. They should be allowed to breathe and do new things/bring in new characters. If the Freedom Fighters turn up? I mean yeah it'd be great to see them again, but then everyone would want THEIR favourites from the multiple spin-offs to appear. I grew up on the UK Fleetway Sonic comics and some of the characters in there are favourites of mine, but I'd never want to see new takes of them put into the games or IDW for the sake of just having them there. The IDW series needs to be it's own thing. As for the games? I'd be okay if the games did a seperate continuity angle that would allow these characters to exist in them, much like they did with Sonic Boom, but I can't see them being added to the main video game timeline.

The major hurdle in all of this though seems to be Sega of Japan themselves as they seem to be the ones with the keys to the Sonic kingdom and lay down the rules. They're the ones who nixed the SatAM based Mega Drive/Genesis game as well as the 32X game which would've featured SatAM characters. Word has it (as in rumour so take that as you please) Sega of America have been all for including characters from the shows and comics into the games but they aren't the ones who make the games and make those decisions. And it's a shame because Sega of Japan doesn't take the same approach as say Hasbro does with The Transformers. In recent years Hasbro has been embracing the idea of spin-off characters. Throughout the franchise's 35+ years there's been plenty of spin-offs like comics and cartoons and in these spin-offs a lot of characters exclusively created for those spin-offs have been created. Now Hasbro didn't mind when say the official Transformers convention BotCon would do a set of exclusive figures each year and they would make figures of these spin-off characters, but these toys were always pre-existing toys in a new paint scheme and made a new head and these toys were never sold in general retail. Plus at the time Hasbro didn't run the official convention, it was another company who would get permission/pay Hasbro to make these toys that they would sell at the con. It wasn't until 2010 when Hasbro released an action figure of a character created in IDW's Transformers comics where a spin-off character received an official toy available at mass retail who had a unique mold (not made up of a previous toy). Since then Hasbro have done the same with multiple characters throughout the history of the franchise.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#3 GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

Sally is best girl

• Fellow FUSer
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

While it would be nice to have new versions of those characters appear again, we should be thankful for what we got of them.

Let's be fair here, when it comes to the Freedom Fighters, we already have three versions of them. We have the SatAM take on the characters, we have the original Archie timeline and we had the "Nu252" reboot timeline. Now I know some fans consider Archie to be a continuation of SatAM, but I've always seen them as two seperate entities/continuities. Archie had a tendency of bringing in aspects and elements from all different kinds of Sonic spin-offs and continuities that I don't see Archie as a true continuation of SatAM, especially when you consider that in the beginning it was very much AoStH like with the Freedom Fighters thrown in.

And let's look at what we got. We got 2 seasons of 26 episodes of the characters in SatAM (don't really include Sally's appearance in Christmas Blast as it's a just a voiceless cameo). Now granted 26 episodes doesn't seem like a lot, but considering that when it comes to all the Sonic shows produced, SatAM is often regarded as one of the best ones and I'd rather a solid series with a smaller episode count than something that ran for say 6 seasons with over 100+ where they were running out of ideas. Keep in mind that cartoon production was different to comics. Back then cartoons could have anywhere up to 65 episodes produced in a single year so writing character development in such a short space is going to suffer, especially if you have multiple writers who all don't collaborate with each other.

Now if we look over Archie timelines, that's nearly 25 years worth of material, hundreds of issues including spin-off series, mini-series and one shots. Nearly 25 years with those characters. That's an incredible run for sure and something to be proud of for a spin-off comic series that when it was created was pretty much meant to promote both AoStH and SatAM. But Archie wasn't always stellar. A lot of it was pretty bland or outright terrible at times.

I'm okay if the Freedom Fighters or any characters created by Archie or in other spin-off material don't appear in say the IDW comics or the games. Because these continuities are their own thing. They should be allowed to breathe and do new things/bring in new characters. If the Freedom Fighters turn up? I mean yeah it'd be great to see them again, but then everyone would want THEIR favourites from the multiple spin-offs to appear. I grew up on the UK Fleetway Sonic comics and some of the characters in there are favourites of mine, but I'd never want to see new takes of them put into the games or IDW for the sake of just having them there. The IDW series needs to be it's own thing. As for the games? I'd be okay if the games did a seperate continuity angle that would allow these characters to exist in them, much like they did with Sonic Boom, but I can't see them being added to the main video game timeline.

The major hurdle in all of this though seems to be Sega of Japan themselves as they seem to be the ones with the keys to the Sonic kingdom and lay down the rules. They're the ones who nixed the SatAM based Mega Drive/Genesis game as well as the 32X game which would've featured SatAM characters. Word has it (as in rumour so take that as you please) Sega of America have been all for including characters from the shows and comics into the games but they aren't the ones who make the games and make those decisions. And it's a shame because Sega of Japan doesn't take the same approach as say Hasbro does with The Transformers. In recent years Hasbro has been embracing the idea of spin-off characters. Throughout the franchise's 35+ years there's been plenty of spin-offs like comics and cartoons and in these spin-offs a lot of characters exclusively created for those spin-offs have been created. Now Hasbro didn't mind when say the official Transformers convention BotCon would do a set of exclusive figures each year and they would make figures of these spin-off characters, but these toys were always pre-existing toys in a new paint scheme and made a new head and these toys were never sold in general retail. Plus at the time Hasbro didn't run the official convention, it was another company who would get permission/pay Hasbro to make these toys that they would sell at the con. It wasn't until 2010 when Hasbro released an action figure of a character created in IDW's Transformers comics where a spin-off character received an official toy available at mass retail who had a unique mold (not made up of a previous toy). Since then Hasbro have done the same with multiple characters throughout the history of the franchise.

I understand that any series needs time to breath. Maybe it is best for IDW to be it's own thing. I just don't want the characters to fade into obscurity, you know? The Archie series was the only thing really keeping them alive, and now that that's gone...

#4 Prime

Prime

"Son, I am disappoint"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:06 AM

I understand that any series needs time to breath. Maybe it is best for IDW to be it's own thing. I just don't want the characters to fade into obscurity, you know? The Archie series was the only thing really keeping them alive, and now that that's gone...

It's not really obscurity though. I mean if the characters only appeared in SatAM and no where else? Yeah That'd be obscurity because it'd be 26 episodes of a short run cartoon. But they appeared in th Archie series and that ran for almost 25 years which is an incredible run for a licensed comic book. The SatAM characters have earned their place in the hearts of many fans and they won't be forgotten.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#5 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

I should think that the very existence of a site like FUS would show you that obscurity is the last place these characters are headed.  With that being said, Archie isn't what kept SatAM alive.  It was our love for the show, and the internet's incredible ability to hold on to pop culture nostalgia that kept things going.  We never would have got a box set had it not been for FUS.  Archie could never have done that, or at  least they would never do that.  If you're worried about the Freedom Fighters headed off into the ether, then you do everything you can to keep the show alive in your life.  I've shown SatAM to all my nieces and nephews at one point or another, and I never shy away from talking about it when conversations about pop culture come up.  Sure it's not as well known as some other Sonic properties, but everyone I've talked to about it has remembered it in some form or another.  In other words, it's up to us to keep the things we love alive.

My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

#6 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,128 posts

Posted A week ago

Meanwhile at Sega of Japan head office.

giphy.gif

#7 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,617 posts

Posted A week ago

I don't think it's as bleak as we allowed it out to be. While I doubt we'll ever get to see them in the games anytime soon, there's still a chance to see them elsewhere.
Remember there was a Sonic Boomverse of comics, games, and a show, a Sonic Xverse of comics and a show, and SEGA has been more open with Sonic doing things to appease fans such as their birthday podcast things, the memes, the movie, and even his OK KO appearance.
I don't think the Freedom Fighters are "Blacklisted" by SEGA of Japan. In fact there has been no proof to any of the so called mandates that SEGA put down or what they even are. Just rumors of why things changed or are currently off the table.

#8 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,128 posts

Posted A week ago

Sega would rather make new characters than dig up something from the 90's that they never even designed.

#9 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,617 posts

Posted A week ago

Well from a very basic level of business, yes they would.

However nowhere has there been any proof it's SEGA saying no. Maybe it's IDW. Maybe it's the current character rights holders.

#10 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 3 days ago

It's been quite the opposite.. on SoA's side. They've been trying to get them included whenever. When they do the Thursday streams, they show a lot of fan art of them.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users