Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (05 February 2020 - 07:32 PM)

No.

@  MoKat : (05 February 2020 - 01:09 PM)

*pokes the Shoutbox* Wake up!

@  GetCrazyWith... : (24 January 2020 - 01:21 PM)

Hi there!

@  Wulfsbane : (20 January 2020 - 06:26 PM)

Boop

@  Ishapar : (14 December 2019 - 04:23 AM)

Not bad. Would be neat if my grandpa makes it that old.

@  Shadow : (12 December 2019 - 03:19 PM)

I hope I get to live to 93.

@  Wulfsbane : (11 December 2019 - 09:42 AM)

@  Ishapar : (09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Shame to hear about that. How old was he?

@  RedG : (06 December 2019 - 06:04 PM)

Sorry to hear, Wulfsbane. My condolences.

@  Wulfsbane : (05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM)

My grandfather passed on the 17th.

@  chief : (30 November 2019 - 03:32 PM)

oh?

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

This year's Thanksgiving was a lot tougher than normal.

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

Same to you.

@  RedAuthar : (28 November 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Happy American Turkey Day

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

Photo

Ian Flynn; Revionist Asshole

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 henryiii

henryiii

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Nagus game news

Seriously?

He's really going to rewrite a story from Penders and act like the original story was all his!?

Hey Flynn! Play by the rules of your predecessors! You didn't start writing the comic and the world wasn't yours to begin with!

#2 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Well that story had the worst art ever in the comic so Stephen Butler is doing a service with it.

#3 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 31 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that story had the worst art ever in the comic so Stephen Butler is doing a service with it.

It's not shitty art that's in question, it's Flynn's shitty hackwork revisionism/"writing".
Dunno, I stopped reading StH so things like this won't bother me anymore. Flynn took what was becoming the first truly respected and noted anthropomorphic/"funny animal" comic in the mainstream and dumb-dumb-dumbed it down into throwaway sub-2nd grader garbage. I'd collected every issue, every miniseries and every oneshot for years and years, growing up with interesting characters and diverse storylines. Seeing the comics true potential. But I had to let my subscription go after watching Ian methodically replace everything good, unique or interesting in it with fanwank and rubber-hose fist fights. It was like paying someone to come shit in my breakfast once a month.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#4 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

I think you forget before Ian you had those romance stories that went nowhere,Sally being made unlikable,and the Mobius 25 years story that went nowhere.

#5 Gojira007

Gojira007

Fellow FUSer

• Sea3on Writer
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (henryiii @ Dec 30 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's really going to rewrite a story from Penders and act like the original story was all his!?

a.) "Naugus Games" is hands-down one of THE most awful stories the comic has ever printed; it's hard to desecrate something THAT awful.
b.) I don't know the exact politics of this, but I'm willing to bet one of two things:
1.) The preview doesn't include credit to Penders, but the finished issue might
and
2.) How much do you want to bet, if Penders DOESN'T get credit, it has to do with the legal issues he and Archie are going through right now?

Hey Flynn! Play by the rules of your predecessors! You didn't start writing the comic and the world wasn't yours to begin with!

You're right; he should follow the example of his predecessors and try to file a lawsuit to claim as his own characters clearly derived from a pre-existing franchise he had no hand in creating. THAT's the proper thing to do.

And before I get jumped on as a "Flynn fanboy" or whatever, this has nothing to do with a particular love for Ian Flynn. I'm honestly just sick and tired of people whining about every damned thing he does as if it were a personal affront to them.
"These hands of ours are BURNING RED! Their loud cry tells us..."
"To grasp happiness!"
"ERUPTING GOD FINGER!!! SEKI..."
"HA!"
"LOVE LOVE TENKYOKEN!!!"
-Domon Kasshu and Rain Mikamura, G-Gundam

#6 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yeah I'm kinda sick of hearing all this bitching too. Especially for reasons as stupid as this. The fact that Penders has no rights to anything means that anyone can use whatever work is there. Its Archies comic, they do what fits.

I mean.. really? Bitching about Ian on this? How sad can you get? Pathetic.

I'm just so sick of all this constant shit. Whenever the guy lifts his finger its like he killed your grandma. Stop complaining about useless stuff. He is rewriting something, good for him. Not like its never been done before.

#7 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Gojira007 @ Dec 31 2010, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right; he should follow the example of his predecessors and try to file a lawsuit to claim as his own characters clearly derived from a pre-existing franchise he had no hand in creating. THAT's the proper thing to do.

And before I get jumped on as a "Flynn fanboy" or whatever, this has nothing to do with a particular love for Ian Flynn. I'm honestly just sick and tired of people whining about every damned thing he does as if it were a personal affront to them.

QUOTE (chief @ Dec 31 2010, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I'm kinda sick of hearing all this bitching too. Especially for reasons as stupid as this. The fact that Penders has no rights to anything means that anyone can use whatever work is there. Its Archies comic, they do what fits.

I mean.. really? Bitching about Ian on this? How sad can you get? Pathetic.

And making the topic about Penders lawsuit on a totally unrelated subject? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (chief @ Dec 31 2010, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just so sick of all this constant shit. Whenever the guy lifts his finger its like he killed your grandma. Stop complaining about useless stuff. He is rewriting something, good for him. Not like its never been done before.

Like I said
QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 31 2010, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd collected every issue, every miniseries and every oneshot for years and years, growing up with interesting characters and diverse storylines. Seeing the comics true potential. But I had to let my subscription go after watching Ian methodically replace everything good, unique or interesting in it with fanwank and rubber-hose fist fights. It was like paying someone to come shit in my breakfast once a month.

And Ian killed a bigger part of my childhood then both of my grandmothers actually. (Neither of them like my mom and by extension me, because we wouldn't take backward ass orders from them on what to believe or do.) So I reserve the right to bitch when the subject is brought up. Like I said I quit reading the comic and I don't obsesses about it as you seem to imply, but Ian Flynn and his terrible excuses for writing can rot in hell.
I know he sent you a comic/gift basket whatever and acted nice to you Chief (unlike he does the critics he allows to be harassed and bullied on his website). But you didn't read and grow up with the comic to see how far it fell under his tenure, so your perspective on this can hardly be the same. And it's unfair to pressure it onto others just because you have the power to do so here.

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 31 2010, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you forget before Ian you had those romance stories that went nowhere,Sally being made unlikable,and the Mobius 25 years story that went nowhere.

The romance stories went places, just not ones that I think many Sally fanbois wanted to go. Sally's character developed in a believable direction after Robotnik's defeat. As for being unlikeable she's since become a canon-sue and gone back on everything she said she believed in, and endangers those around her just to be "back in the field/action girl" again.
I liked her more when she was developing like a real person and actually dealing with problems someone in her position would have in a realistic manner. The Mobius 25 years later story obviously didn't have time to get where it was originally headed.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#8 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

By the way why aren't we able to delete posts anymore? Might come in handy for accidental double posts like this one. Never know tongue.gif

- Eric Idle

#9 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

The romance stories went places, just not ones that I think many Sally fanbois wanted to go. Sally's character developed in a believable direction after Robotnik's defeat. As for being unlikeable she's since become a canon-sue and gone back on everything she said she believed in, and endangers those around her just to be "back in the field/action girl" again.
I liked her more when she was developing like a real person and actually dealing with problems someone in her position would have in a realistic manner. The Mobius 25 years later story obviously didn't have time to get where it was originally headed.

Lest ye forget, she was and always will be a warrior princess. Don't remember the show? tongue.gif
I'm all for char. development but for her to revert into a weepy emotionally unstable person was just going too far. The romance was stuff that wasn't really important but there to just piss off fans and turn the comic into a shipping war. Sonic x Mina x Ash, Sonic x Fiona x Tails, Sally x Evil Antoine. Sorry but none of it was really entertaining. If you want romance, make it short and sweet, not painful. And the M25YL story just was too slow for the real plot to kick off. Gotta have good pacing. If it wasn't for Stephen Butlers wonderful art I'd have just skipped over those stories.

#10 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 31 2010, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lest ye forget, she was and always will be a warrior princess. Don't remember the show? tongue.gif

People grow and change with their situations and experiences. Ian basically just wrote off years and years of development and acts like it never happened. And Sally acts like nothing has changed. That's not satisfying writing and it's certainly not good storytelling.

I'm all for char. development but for her to revert into a weepy emotionally unstable person was just going too far.

Give me some examples of this, and I can almost guarantee you this is how a real person would have reacted. Which becomes plain once you consider all of the circumstances in the situation. Real people have emotions, well written and developing characters do as well, including sorrow.

The romance was stuff that wasn't really important but there to just piss off fans

You really think it was there to piss off fans? I'll agree there was an over-emphasis on romance for a while, but that's just because it was a hot button issue fans were anxious to see. You can't blame writers for tapping into drama fans were passionate about. Those issues were more affecting than the plastic "*pew* *pew* Characterization, what's that?" ones Ian puts out.

and turn the comic into a shipping war. Sonic x Mina x Ash, Sonic x Fiona x Tails, Sally x Evil Antoine. Sorry but none of it was really entertaining. If you want romance, make it short and sweet, not painful. And the M25YL story just was too slow for the real plot to kick off. Gotta have good pacing. If it wasn't for Stephen Butlers wonderful art I'd have just skipped over those stories.

I disagree with but respect your opinion.

- Eric Idle

#11 henryiii

henryiii

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Flynn took what was becoming the first truly respected and noted anthropomorphic/"funny animal" comic in the mainstream and dumb-dumb-dumbed it down into throwaway sub-2nd grader garbage

And Usagi Youjimbou isn't mainstream and good?

I admit I gotta lessen the anger towards Flynn if I wanna job at Archies, yet it still pains me every time I see something like this being done in the comic by him.

#12 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (henryiii @ Dec 31 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flynn took what was becoming the first truly respected and noted anthropomorphic/"funny animal" comic in the mainstream and dumb-dumb-dumbed it down into throwaway sub-2nd grader garbage

Ahh you've got a point there. (Though I never commented on it being the first "good" one for the record. wink.gif ) Of course if you wanted to include Usagi you could also probably make an argument for the Ninja Turtles. Two of the biggest winners when the smoke cleared from the 80s black and white comics boom and subsequent bust. Anthropomorphic/"funny animal" or otherwise. Since the Turtles were a big enough success that they literally carried Mirage publishing for decades. Which of course in turn carried Usagi through his short-lived color run until bad weather destroyed much of their equipment and Stan Sakai moved his Ronin to Dark Horse.
The fact remains that Sonic was gaining notoriety AND respect in mainstream comics before Ian dumbed it down. Something which is very rare for a drama where the main characters aren't human. Sadly it's not even that common for a comic with main characters not wearing spandex (in America).

QUOTE (henryiii @ Dec 31 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I admit I gotta lessen the anger towards Flynn if I wanna job at Archies, yet it still pains me every time I see something like this being done in the comic by him.

Don't count on ever getting a job there if he learns your real name. Even his friends who have sucked up to and evangelized for him fiercely haven't landed jobs yet, much less anyone who criticizes him.

- Eric Idle

#13 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

I doubt one's relationship with Ian Flynn has much impact on who gets hired at Archie. He's not the editor.

#14 Kaotix

Kaotix

In Ur Castle, Nomming On Ur Princess

• Fellow FUSer
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (henryiii @ Dec 31 2010, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it wasn't for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I wouldn't even know who Usagi Youjimbou was. Good thing I saw the one episode he was in.

"He who is strong conquers others. He who is mighty conquers himself."

#15 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 30 2010, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way why aren't we able to delete posts anymore? Might come in handy for accidental double posts like this one. Never know tongue.gif

NO! Mwahahahaha! . . . . Yeah I'll look into that for ya.

#16 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Gojira007 @ Dec 30 2010, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm honestly just sick and tired of people whining about every damned thing he does as if it were a personal affront to them.

Yea, you're right.

Other than turning this once interesting comic into Sonic X Ver 2.0, writing lousy stories at times and dumbing down the dramatic action in order to make it more "kid friendly", he's probably not that bad of a guy.

No point in getting your blood boiled over something you have no control over.

It would be nice if Ian got fired from Archie and they put in a better writer, but I doubt they'll do that since Ian's got Sega's approval unfortunately.

The best thing to do is if people hate the comic so much is boycott it and write their own version of the Sonic Satam series.

It may be just fanfiction, but that's the way to go if you're not satisfied with the official product.
Posted Image

#17 Morgan

Morgan

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I actually grew up with this comic as a kid and loved it to death years back, but due to becoming uninterested in it as of around #100, I stopped reading it. I can't myself understand why people get batshit about it, to be honest.

#18 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,586 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Sounds like both Penders and Flynn are just buttholes. One steals work and the other tries to sue a company for projects that arn't his.

#19 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Kaotix @ Dec 31 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (henryiii @ Dec 31 2010, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it wasn't for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I wouldn't even know who Usagi Youjimbou was. Good thing I saw the one episode he was in.

That's Yojimbo, "Bodyguard" in Japanese. The title literally means "rabbit bodyguard". The characters actual name is Miyamoto Usagi, since he was inspired by the famous Miyamoto Musashi in a round-about way. Stan Sakai was originally going to have him be a sort of wondering ronin bodyguard for hire but that's fallen by the wayside and now he's more a classic wanderer type. A Samurai who has lost his master so he seeks wisdom and adventure in his travels. It's been going strong for over a quarter century now under three different publishers. And I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of thing.

PS- IIRC the TMNT crossovers aren't canon in the Usagi Universe. Think they may be for TMNT universe, not that it matters much since the franchise was sold to Nickelodeon's parent company not too long ago.

- Eric Idle

#20 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

I don't understand the big deal with Ian rewriting Naugus Games.
From what I remember Penders himself was unhappy with Naugus Games, and wanted his name removed from the story credits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users