Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  GetCrazyWith... : (10 April 2020 - 06:10 AM)

Yeah, I get what you mean. My introverted side wants to stay home too, but it does feel lonely after a while.

@  GetCrazyWith... : (10 April 2020 - 06:10 AM)

@ A Fox in a Den

@  Wulfsbane : (07 April 2020 - 07:27 AM)

So I wrote one of the shorts in Paradox's new Sonic Seconds video

@  Shadow : (24 March 2020 - 06:31 PM)

I'm still waiting to see if my attempts to sign up for EI have gone through or not. Phone lines are impossible to get through.

@  furrykef : (23 March 2020 - 05:58 PM)

There's talk that they may have found a cure for the virus. Here's hoping.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 07:27 PM)

Yeah, our D&D sessions and just going out for drinks at local breweries is basically gone right now. We're thinking of doing remote sessions but it's still not the same.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 03:28 PM)

It just sucks cause my friends and I can't do our usual weekend stuff cause most of the restaurants we go to are closed or takeout only

@  furrykef : (22 March 2020 - 11:20 AM)

I know exactly how you feel.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Yeah, there's a part of me that, as an introvert, should be totally OK with the concept of staying home. But there's also a huge part of me that is incredibly unnerved by the concept of having the choice taken away. Before, it felt like something I wanted to do, but now it just feels lonely and sad.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Ah, no worries. Thanks for clarifying. <3

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 05:31 AM)

I absolutely recognize that this is going to have a change in how we do things, for better or for worse. There's going to be some positive changes out of this and some negative changes as well. I get this is something we haven't seen in 100 years.

If I came off as insensitive, I should apologize and explained what I meant a bit more.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 05:23 AM)

You misunderstand. My daily life consists of me going to work and going home. When I order food out I usually get take out anyways. See I work 2nd shift so my options of what I can/can't do is limited by time anyways and hasn't effected me as much, the only real thing being I can't sit down at the diner when I get out at 11pm-12am on a Friday night. So when I say I'm not changing much of my daily life it's because my routine is at a point where my interactions with people, in person, are limited to begin with

@  A Fox in a D... : (20 March 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Regardless of how you feel Covid affects you personally, there's an absolute change this puts on everyone globally, especially small businesses and at-risk people. It will influence how we look at the media landscape, how we deliver entertainment and services, and workplace practices going forward, some long term, some short, some good and some bad. These sort of pandemics don't come around with zero wake, and we've already seen that and are seeing it right now. If you don't think anything is different, then you aren't looking hard enough.

@  A Fox in a D... : (20 March 2020 - 10:09 AM)

No, Covid is it's already costing businesses and lives, and it's made life difficult for just about everyone I know, particularly in my industry where we've having to scramble to ship games from home. What you're doing is unwise and irresponsible, and you're not the only person in existence, so you can keep your "not really".

@  Wulfsbane : (19 March 2020 - 08:57 PM)

Not really. I'm still going about it as if nothing's different

@  GetCrazyWith... : (18 March 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Covid is going to screw up all our lives

@  RedAuthar : (17 March 2020 - 09:43 PM)

I know your pain Ben, I know your pain...

@  Shadow : (16 March 2020 - 08:13 PM)

Lucky you.

@  Wulfsbane : (16 March 2020 - 05:16 AM)

I still gotta work

@  A Fox in a D... : (16 March 2020 - 12:03 AM)

It's only boring if you make it so. I'm stuffing my quarantine with as much art as I can muster.

Photo

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 Tristan Palmgren

Tristan Palmgren

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Just to preempt the smartasses--no, these forums don't count.

I'm balancing Charlie Stross's Singularity Sky against Diana Wynne Jones's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland. I also need to pick up some good history nonfiction about the gunpowder era for a project I'm working on, but haven't decided one to grab.

Strangely, not long after I started reading Singularity Sky, I came across the author badmouthing it in the comments of a LiveJournal blog I read. So that lowered my expectations. Enjoying it so far, though...

#2 MistressAli

MistressAli

Pirate Extraordinaire

• Fellow FUSer
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

I've been reading a book that's languished for years on my bookcase, 'Ghosts' by Peter Straub. It's a bunch of short stories about, you guessed it...Ghosts. Though none of them are very good >< I'm going to finish it just to finish it and then get rid of it. xD
I also want to crack open another languishing book, 'Mythology' by Edith Hamilton. Cuz I'm in a mythological mood tongue.gif

#3 An7imatt3r

An7imatt3r

Batman

• Tech Guy
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I read all of books because they are usually good. Haven't made up my mind about this one yet, but it isn't bad, so thats a good sign.
On Going FanFiction http://www.fanfiction.net/~milesdepth
An7imatt3r is my XBL gamer tag. I can also be found on Steam by searching it as well.

#4 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

I haven't actually read Dan Brown's books, but this is probably enough to put me off for good. Anybody with even the slightest idea of how kanji works (whether in either Chinese or Japanese) -- or how language translation works -- is going to laugh his head off at this.

Now, you could argue that Dan Brown knows this stuff better than the book suggests (just as Michael Crichton probably knew more about paleontology and dinosaurs than Jurassic Park suggests), and he just had to "dumb it down" so that the facts don't get in the way of the story, but I don't think this is a case of that. A writer who cared would have been able to make it work. (Phrases like "kanji language" very strongly suggest to me that he simply doesn't even know what he's talking about. No amount of dumbing down would have made the phrase "kanji language" necessary.)

And I've heard that pretty much all his stuff is like this, just that he does it with different fields. His modus operandi seems to be that, as long as he's talking about something you know absolutely nothing about, you won't notice and it'll be OK. Since then your knowledge of the subject would be about on par with his. tongue.gif

- Kef

#5 Xian Shade

Xian Shade

Professional Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

The Eye of the World, the first book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. A friend referred me to the author as 'one of the best fantasy writers since Tolkein'. Book 12 came out a few months ago, so I have a while to go before I'm done, and the books are LONG! Even as a small paperback with smaller print, the first book's well over 800 pages. I'll have my reading covered for quite some time.
"Bad robot ninjas have kidnapped the wildlife. Are you a fast enough Hedgehog to save the wildlife?" ~RScoKm
"I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio." ~Rodney Dangerfield
"My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying." ~Ed Furgol
"Bad taste is simply saying the truth before it should be said." ~Mel Brooks
"Walruses are among the only mammals in the world that do not process liquid waste via a bladder organ. Once digested, liquid waste is absorbed through the lining of the small intestine and secreted through the skin." That's why people ignored Rotor." ~anonymous
"If there were a building that stood for grammatical integrity, your post would be the plane that crashed into it." ~ThePeaGuy
"NO! No summoning evil gods! Bad Mel!" ~Crais Sewell, Mimana Iyar Chronicle

#6 An7imatt3r

An7imatt3r

Batman

• Tech Guy
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (furrykef @ Dec 24 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't actually read Dan Brown's books, but this is probably enough to put me off for good. Anybody with even the slightest idea of how kanji works (whether in either Chinese or Japanese) -- or how language translation works -- is going to laugh his head off at this.

Now, you could argue that Dan Brown knows this stuff better than the book suggests (just as Michael Crichton probably knew more about paleontology and dinosaurs than Jurassic Park suggests), and he just had to "dumb it down" so that the facts don't get in the way of the story, but I don't think this is a case of that. A writer who cared would have been able to make it work. (Phrases like "kanji language" very strongly suggest to me that he simply doesn't even know what he's talking about. No amount of dumbing down would have made the phrase "kanji language" necessary.)

And I've heard that pretty much all his stuff is like this, just that he does it with different fields. His modus operandi seems to be that, as long as he's talking about something you know absolutely nothing about, you won't notice and it'll be OK. Since then your knowledge of the subject would be about on par with his. tongue.gif

- Kef

Yeah, he does do that and it is kind of annoying at times. Why he doesn't say Japanese or characters is beyond me. It wouldn't be hard to explain what Kanji is either. However, he really doesn't do things this dumb that often. Admittedly he can over simplify to the point where it makes you wounder if he does know what he is talking about, but generally the depth of the story answers that. If he wasn't so good at writing stories I would probably skip his stuff, but he has a very unique way of making a false story seem true that usually gets my attention. When you can make the not really seem real you have some talent.
On Going FanFiction http://www.fanfiction.net/~milesdepth
An7imatt3r is my XBL gamer tag. I can also be found on Steam by searching it as well.

#7 The Man

The Man

Mind Bullets a.k.a. Telekinesis

• B&'ed
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

Specific Chessbook - Winning the won game. But if the story is good enough I will read Poe, Twain, modern, female authors and many others, ect.,.

#8 BigWigRah

BigWigRah

coming to a fridge near you

• Fellow FUSer
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

well, after reading Watership Down (which has taken over my life), I ended up reading Mark Steyn's America Alone. Now i'm reading Dan Brown's "Deception Point". the book seems to be getting good, lots of conspiracy and politics.
Who Is John Galt?

#9 Xian Shade

Xian Shade

Professional Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

Took a little break from Eye of the World since it also reads like a Tolkein book (see: way too damn descriptive for its own good), and picked up a copy of The Running Man, which apparently was written by Steven King under a different name. Very different from the movie adaptation with the governator, but that's usually a good thing, right?
"Bad robot ninjas have kidnapped the wildlife. Are you a fast enough Hedgehog to save the wildlife?" ~RScoKm
"I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio." ~Rodney Dangerfield
"My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying." ~Ed Furgol
"Bad taste is simply saying the truth before it should be said." ~Mel Brooks
"Walruses are among the only mammals in the world that do not process liquid waste via a bladder organ. Once digested, liquid waste is absorbed through the lining of the small intestine and secreted through the skin." That's why people ignored Rotor." ~anonymous
"If there were a building that stood for grammatical integrity, your post would be the plane that crashed into it." ~ThePeaGuy
"NO! No summoning evil gods! Bad Mel!" ~Crais Sewell, Mimana Iyar Chronicle

#10 Tristan Palmgren

Tristan Palmgren

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Singularity Sky was a disappointing book from an otherwise great author. It had a few neat ideas but no plot, annoying lecturing characters with half-baked politics, and it even pulled a goddamn this-long-scene-was-really-just-a-holodeck-fantasy-and-the-little-we-learned-from-it-turns-out-to-be-inconsequential-anyway trick. Fuck.

I just started a rather intimidating "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" hardcover. The thing weighs a ton and the print is tiny. I have a long train trip coming up in a few days, but this one's still going to take me a while.

#11 Chaosmaster8753

Chaosmaster8753

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

The text on the screen.

#12 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Tristan Palmgren @ Jan 1 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Singularity Sky was a disappointing book from an otherwise great author. It had a few neat ideas but no plot, annoying lecturing characters with half-baked politics, and it even pulled a goddamn this-long-scene-was-really-just-a-holodeck-fantasy-and-the-little-we-learned-from-it-turns-out-to-be-inconsequential-anyway trick. Fuck.

I just started a rather intimidating "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" hardcover. The thing weighs a ton and the print is tiny. I have a long train trip coming up in a few days, but this one's still going to take me a while.

I read the complete collection in my teens though mine was a (probably slightly-larger print) 2 volume edition.

My ideal advice is to not read more than two of them in unbroken succession. Particularly of the short story collections. Doyle's writing later on gets so "let's get it over with" at times (mostly in the later stories, when he was writing just for the money) that they can run together.

If you've not brought anything else to do I'd advise reading mostly the novellas on the trip. A few plots are a lot easier to keep straight than a dozen or so a book. And don't believe you'll have anything spoiled from the shorts by reading them if I recall correctly. One or two of them (due to willy nilly timeline placement) actually give more backstory.

PS- I'm not reading anything. I've been to busy working or trying to relax to get into a book. Though I'd like to finally finish rereading "Dune" alas I left it at the dorm.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#13 fishtheimpaler

fishtheimpaler

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

The Savage Detectives, with a borrowed copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies waiting in the weeds. Before that, Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb (not particularly deep, but an interesting survey for someone who hasn't read deeply on 20th Century urban guerrilla warfare like myself. You'd be surprised at the number of organizations that operated with the strategy (1) kill as many civilians as possible, (2) start race war, (3) profit).

Concur on mixing stuff in a huge short story collection with other stuff. I got the complete Robert Howard Conan the Barbarian stories and although they are the most fun stuff ever I could only do a little more than a third before loaning it to a friend. I ought to call that back in one of these days.

#14 Tristan Palmgren

Tristan Palmgren

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

I've also set down the collection (for a while) after going through about a third of it. My breaking point was "The Gloria Scott," a mystery in which Sherlock Holmes did no detecting. He had everything handed to him instead.

I've moved onto a book about early gunpowder artillery as research for a story project.

(Spoiler!) Lots of things in tubes go boom. People point them at each other. Unfriendliness ensues.

#15 salamander

salamander

You can do whatever you want in life.

• Sea3on Consultant
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

I got The Crying of Lot 49 for Christmas (as well as Gravity's Rainbow, but I haven't started that yet), and just started making my way through it. So far it's pretty.. weird, and disorienting. It's got some good humor though, and I like the surreal imagery.

#16 The Man

The Man

Mind Bullets a.k.a. Telekinesis

• B&'ed
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

The World's Greatest Chess Games.

I hear the book is better than the movie.

*Spoiler*

I didn't like how The Two Towers didn't feature the Shelob fight. Woulda made for a better cliffhangar.

#17 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (The Man @ Jan 20 2010, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The World's Greatest Chess Games.

I hear the book is better than the movie.

*Spoiler*

I didn't like how The Two Towers didn't feature the Shelob fight. Woulda made for a better cliffhangar.

THANK YOU. Yes I'm not a nitpicky fan of tolkien but that was the -second biggest- huge, glaring, blindingly bad and easily fixed flaw in the movies.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#18 BigWigRah

BigWigRah

coming to a fridge near you

• Fellow FUSer
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

40 pages into "The Plague Dogs." I hope this book picks up, because Richard Adams is being awfully wordy. The whole first chapter was about all the random experiments being done to animals in the facility as the dogs are trying to escape.

Also, some of the descriptions are weird. As Rowlf is moving through the incinerator tunnel ahead of Snitter, he is described as moving "like a turd through a healthy anus." huh?

I'm gonna try and finish this. I feel honor bound to do so considering how much I loved his first book. I could see the novel picking up steam.
Who Is John Galt?

#19 Tristan Palmgren

Tristan Palmgren

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Lots of things got blowed up good in the book on early artillery. Learned a few useful things for my project. Next, a more generalized book about the history of gunpowder.

#20 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I've been reading The Voyage of the Jerele Shanarra series by Terry Brooks. I've let them sit on my bookshelf for years and decided to pick them up after so long I had to start from the beginning again. Currently on the third and final book in the set, but I have several more to go afterwards that I may wind up buying.
My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users