Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

@  Wulfsbane : (28 July 2019 - 04:02 PM)

Hey Kev, please refrain from posting youtube videos in the box.

@  Kev : (28 July 2019 - 11:36 AM)

Sonic painting a picture, also have Tails painting in a much longer video on YouTube.

@  Shadow : (28 July 2019 - 10:06 AM)

The SatAM cast could easily be catered to as DLC characters for a game. The Freedom Fighter squad

@  Wulfsbane : (28 July 2019 - 07:27 AM)

SoJ also wants to make the games more platofrming, like Mania. Iizuka wants to keep it like Forces/Colors/Generations/etc.

Photo

How Would You Reboot Satam?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Okay I notice a lot of people not liking the direction/changes in the comic, and that's fair.  I also notice a lot of people not liking the direction the games are going and that's also fair.

However we can all agree that Sonic SatAM was not a perfect show and there are some things in the show we would like to do away with (example: Dulcy).  

So I ask you, what would you do to Reboot/Modernize SatAM?  

Before we get too into that I wanna lay down some quick ground rules:

1) You can't not change anything - I wanna see what changes you guys would make to modernize the show, not what changes you wouldn't make.So post that say no changes, you have to make kind of change or upgrade.

2) Be Polite - As always opinions don't always line up.  So just remember if someone's opinion differs, you shouldn't badger them for being stupid or dumb.  Even if it is so.  

So have fun and start posting ideas.  

#2 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Oh...the ideas. But first! I want to be fair. It's your post: what are your's?

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

One thing is, just like SatAM adapted the original games into it's storyline with changes, I think a modern SatAM should adapt some more of the modern elements of the games.  For example characters like Rouge, Shadow, and Silver could be reworked with more SatAM-esque backstories.  Shadow could be a clone created by Robotnik, or perhaps even a distant relative of Sonic.  Rouge's double agent status would work great, being a spy on both Robotnik and the Freedom Fighters for a third party.  And Silver being from the future could be a side effect caused by the time stones.  Also Characters like Gamma and Omega are much more fitting for a SatAM Robotnik design, given a few tweaks.  

#4 Captain Sorzo

Captain Sorzo

The Captain

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Why do you equate modernization with improvement? Has the general caliber of storytelling in our society so increased in recent years that our current standards eclipse those of every other period of human history? Nay, modernization bears no significance to quality, good or ill. The most lasting and significant works crafted by mankind are largely indifferent to the whims of time, instead drawing their strength from ageless principles as effective now as they were a thousand years ago and shall be as potent as many years hence. That is not to say that artists should strive for cultural irrelevance in their work, but that themes borne of temporally sensitive context must be counterbalanced by timeless narrative devices.

Spoiler

57677ee618a4a_FSOMBanner.jpg.004b52a1171

Story updates and more now available at Free Scribes of Mobius!

#5 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Why do you equate modernization with improvement? Has the general caliber of storytelling in our society so increased in recent years that our current standards eclipse those of every other period of human history? Nay, modernization bears no significance to quality, good or ill. The most lasting and significant works crafted by mankind are largely indifferent to the whims of time, instead drawing their strength from ageless principles as effective now as they were a thousand years ago and shall be as potent as many years hence. That is not to say that artists should strive for cultural irrelevance in their work, but that themes borne of temporally sensitive context must be counterbalanced by timeless narrative devices.

Spoiler

1) Like I said before I wanna see what you would do to change it.  I never said it would be an Improvement.  

2) The reverse is true as well.  Just because things were popular at one time, was a classic, or something we nostalgically remember as good means it could not be improved or modified. 

3) As I said at the beginning, I see a lot of people not liking the new Direction SEGA and Archie have been going, and that's fair, but those who make that claim aren't in the Archie's or SEGA's Shoes.  This concept puts you into those shoes.  It's not a do you wanna make changes, it's what would you do because you HAVE to make changes.  Again I'm not saying IMPROVE I'm saying Modernize/Change/Reboot.  

#6 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

1: More Lupe. :evo: Also, bring back that wolf girl from No Brainer and give her a name and a proper roll in the show. :evo:

2: Flesh out some of the characters more, and have some episodes where it's the other characters who get Sonic out of a mess now and then. In general show that while Sonic's the big hero, that the rest of the Freedom Fighters are also valuable. This would also mean giving some names and personalities to the various unnamed Freedom Fighters we see in SatAM. So, that should satisfy the need some people have for introducing more characters, without resorting to characters such as Rogue and Shadow.

3: Tone down the annoyance factors of Ant and Dulcy without wrecking their characters.

3a: I kinda like how Ant would sometimes bumble into a solution, rather than finding said solution on purpose. Perhaps play that up to offset his cowardice. So, keep Ant as a sniveling coward, but give him an unusual amount of good luck.

3b: And for Dulcy: Not have her have so many head impacts. Failed landings can be fun, but not have every one end with her saying something about her "ma". And probly phase those out and have her learn to land properly. It seems to me that it's the constant "ma" references and head trauma that most people have a problem with in regards to her.

4: Tone Sonic down a bit. His attitude is a bit up into the 20 range. Dial it back down to 11. Still overkill and fun, but not 90s overkill. In general, not make us wonder why he even has friends in the first place.

5: Bring back the Sally-Bot. Perhaps with conflicting programming, due to the trip through the Roboticizer combined with Rotor's manual reprogramming. That could make for at least another interesting episode.

6: Avoid bringing in other game characters. Too much messing around with the SatAM formula would ruin it.

7: Minimize cultural references. The more you reference something that is popular now, the less someone 20 years from now will likely enjoy the show. In general, plan for the show to be popular for generations, and try to make it as timeless as possible.

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

#7 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

6: Avoid bringing in other game characters. Too much messing around with the SatAM formula would ruin it.

I agree and disagree on this one.

I agree that bringing in too many characters will break up the Formula, but at the same time you were wanting to increase both Lupe and another minor character's roles, which would do the same thing.  

Also I'm not saying put these characters in the main cast.  Naugus had one episode but was still a good character.  The King was mentioned many times but wasn't part of the main cast.  Any game characters brought in should be played the same.  They could have more than one appearance (being alternate villains or allies) but shouldn't be main cast members. 

#8 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

I agree and disagree on this one.

I agree that bringing in too many characters will break up the Formula, but at the same time you were wanting to increase both Lupe and another minor character's roles, which would do the same thing.  

Also I'm not saying put these characters in the main cast.  Naugus had one episode but was still a good character.  The King was mentioned many times but wasn't part of the main cast.  Any game characters brought in should be played the same.  They could have more than one appearance (being alternate villains or allies) but shouldn't be main cast members. 

There's more to the Formula than number of characters. It's also about the nature of the characters. Most of the videogame characters are completely foreign to SatAM, whereas the more minor characters are already there, but just not explored. If one takes some time to occasionally expand upon one or more of these characters, they can fit into the Formula more properly. But, yes, it must be done properly to take effect. I've done this with story series to great effect. What started as a series with 3 main characters has expanded into a series of about 20 main characters, with all sorts of nifty divergences and crossed paths, and still maintains the key aspects of the Formula that the people I write for enjoy. New or expanded characters can't simply be tossed in, for the most part. They typically have to be worked in more gradually, so that the audience has a chance to get to know them. Show them that Character X is worthy of joining in the fun. Get them to accept Character X. And wait a good while so that Character X becomes part of the Formula and would be missed if something were to happen to them, before introducing Character Y. I believe the SatAM Formula is strong enough to be able to handle its background characters being properly fleshed out, and occasionally given something to really do more than just cheering Sonic on from the background. And there really is a long-standing question of "just what are these guys doing when not popping out of the woodwork to cheer for Sonic?" that needs to be answered. I'm just weary of introducing game characters, because they'll have to be retooled INTO SatAM characters. You'd have to be walking a fine line between "this character has X nature" and "SatAM has Y nature", without angering fans of either nature.

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

#9 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm just weary of introducing game characters, because they'll have to be retooled INTO SatAM characters. You'd have to be walking a fine line between "this character has X nature" and "SatAM has Y nature", without angering fans of either nature.

I see.  However that's exactly the point of this topic.  To see what changes you personally would make.  I wanna see what you guys would do to adapt game/comic/completely original ideas into the SatAM-verse.  

On that same note, you don't have to add the Game characters at all to reboot it either.  

#10 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

If I were to reboot/fix the SatAM show, I have quite a bit of changes in mind:

* While I would severally tone-down some annoying aspects of certain characters (like Antoine's cowardliness and Dulcy's clumsiness), I would also make the cast feel more evenly balanced instead of just being one-note characters. For example, Sonic is still as cocky and bullheaded as ever, but I would make him a bit more in the right; and I would make Sally prone to occasional mistakes, just to put her on par with Sonic. On a similar note, I would also add a lair of comedy to Robotnik's character, making him silly and entertaining to watch, and yet still threatening and intimidating. And as the series goes on, he slowly looses his cool, calculating side and becomes more incompetent as a result.

* Another noteworthy change I would add would be combining the show with "Sonic Underground"; which would lengthen the show's runtime to a grand total of 65 episodes (pilot not included). And best of all, you don't need to rewrite that much; just slightly change the show's backstory to match the SatAM continuity, and everything just writes itself. Of course, characters like Snively and the Knothole Freedom Fighters would be added to some episodes, but their appearances would be reduced to minor roles or simple cameos since the main focus is on Sonic and his siblings. And of course, I would also have the music videos play towards the end of each episode so that they don't interrupt the show's narrative.

* In terms of consistency, I would have some episodes (like SatAM's 1st season and most of "Undergound") play a bigger role than just being minor episodes. For example, some episodes will have events that'll lead directly to the next episode and introduce some minor elements that'll be addressed in later episodes.

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

#11 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

In terms of adapting the games (especially the later ones) to fit with the SatAM universe, what conditions are we talking about exactly? No modern Sonic designs? No human characters? I'd like to know what I can and cannot incorporate into this world, on account of it being very vague in the show.

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

You have no restriction other than what you believe makes/breaks SatAM.  

#13 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

1. Modernize the animation a bit. Not to make it look "Modern" but to give it more dynamics and blend the colors. Like minor touch ups and such.
  2. Bring the Wolf Pack in earlier and have them as recurring characters throughout the 2nd season
  3. Have Dulcy be introduced mid-late Season 1 and FREAKING EXPLAIN HOW THE HELL SHE GOT THERE!!!
  4. Tone down the "cowardly Frenchie" part of Ant' but keep him getting into sticky situations. Maybe even play the Bunnie X Ant' line a bit
  5. Give Tails a bit more of a role. Maybe like support?
  6. Add some Sonic Underground elements. Not like Sonia & Manic but like have a different nation that Alena ruled. Maybe allied with the Kingdom at one point.
  7. More detail about the Great War.
  8. Keep everyone Pre-3D out. in otherwords only add Knuckles and Amy (as she was 8 in CD)
  9. More Cowbells Have some Mobians working under Robotnik, like Fang for example. Maybe even have like a Double-Agent.
  10.  More showing of Knothole. Like show us how the town works, its size, etc.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#14 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,542 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Keep everyone Pre-3D out. in otherwords only add Knuckles and Amy (as she was 8 in CD)

What?  I can't tell if your saying keep everyone before 3D (which could be Sonic 3D or the 3D games) out or keep everyone after them out.  

Also again before people think too hard on this, you are REBOOTING the series for this question.  Like with the original SatAM you can Change characters to fit the show more, even to the point of completely retooling a character.  Don't limit yourself to "Knuckles fits because of his personality but Cream won't because she's too cutesy" type mind set.  You are also not required to keep anyone save for Sonic and Robotnik.  

Again I'm not saying you HAVE to add new characters/take away characters, I'm just reminding you to not limit yourself because of a character's already established personality/game/issue.  

#15 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Keep everyone Pre-3D out. in otherwords only add Knuckles and Amy (as she was 8 in CD)

What?  I can't tell if your saying keep everyone before 3D (which could be Sonic 3D or the 3D games) out or keep everyone after them out.  

Like everything after CD & Sonic 3 is no go.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#16 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Well, technically-speaking, Dr. Eggman existed back in the classic games as well. If your revision is taking elements from only those games, would the Classic Eggman replace the SatAM Robotnik?

#17 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Well, technically-speaking, Dr. Eggman existed back in the classic games as well. If your revision is taking elements from only those games, would the Classic Eggman replace the SatAM Robotnik?

I'd keep SatAM Robotnik. mainly because Robotnik was actually menacing

#18 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Then what would be the point in incorporating only the classic game elements if the show is nothing like the games?

#19 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I meant the characters.

#20 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

I'm adding this to the Fan-Fic Forum post-list.

This will be good...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users