Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (04 July 2020 - 03:27 PM)

Happy Brexit 1776

@  Wulfsbane : (29 May 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Yo Lito

@  furrykef : (25 May 2020 - 09:38 AM)

I can handle it, but why do you want to delete your account?

@  Lito290 : (24 May 2020 - 09:02 PM)

How does one request the deletion of their account?

@  VHS : (21 May 2020 - 04:04 PM)

I gotta join that then

@  Shadow : (14 May 2020 - 01:17 PM)

Sure is. A lot more lively than here.

@  VHS : (02 May 2020 - 08:31 AM)

Oh shoot there's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 06:58 PM)

It's a disagreement between two people...n judging what goes on in there sometimes that's a very apt description xD

@  John Roberts : (25 April 2020 - 05:34 PM)

What's a Discord?

@  Nex : (25 April 2020 - 04:15 PM)

Activity is spread across forum, discord 'n the site chat room. There's life, it's just hiding under different rocks :D

@  RedAuthar : (25 April 2020 - 04:13 PM)

It's still slow. We ain't dead. Just close

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Wait, I thought this place wasn't dead, it seemed active

@  VHS : (23 April 2020 - 11:20 AM)

I LIVE

@  wildfire : (22 April 2020 - 10:57 AM)

Ya know John, I wouldn't be surprised if it was me. At least I'm a bit more active these days

@  chief : (20 April 2020 - 05:24 PM)

Discod stays going pretty good

@  Nex : (20 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Is the Discord busy? Still trying t figure out where most of you monkeys hang out.

@  MauEvig : (19 April 2020 - 07:58 PM)

Well, I'll be chilling on the Discord. :)

@  John Roberts : (19 April 2020 - 12:32 PM)

It's just you, Wildfire. You're killing us mate!

@  wildfire : (19 April 2020 - 09:01 AM)

To be fair, there are more rapid forms of communication these days. The Discord server sees a far bit of attention. I remember the IRC too, but that's dead last I looked

@  MauEvig : (18 April 2020 - 08:10 PM)

A shame. And here I'm finally getting back into the spirit of everything Sonic. Well maybe we just need to liven things up. :)

Photo

What Would've You Done Differently?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Like my other post, the game is simple...

You name a plot point, issue, theme, character, arc, anything that annoyed you in the comics and then get to replace it with your own idea. Remember complaining is never productive, but constructive criticism in the name of building a bigger and better story-arc and learning from other's mistakes doesn't just improve the tale being told, but also improves you as a writer (which is a very practical skill to develop I might add). Responses to other peoples' ideas should be added after your own ideas are said, as to not confuse things.

Allow me to go first...

Multiple Alternative Universes.

I hate the idea for multiple reasons (*rimshot*). The biggest being something people don't usually think of. If we subscribe to multiverse theory in our writing, say there is a vast and infinite array of Sonics battling out there in the multiverse, we cheapen Sonic's story and actions into insignificance. So what if Sonic Prime saves Tails in this issue...somewhere in the multiverse a new reality has just been produced to where he didn't. Every choice that is made is canceled out, and the hero's endeavor to improve things around him is useless, for every good deed he does there's a million-million worlds where the deed was never done or malignant in the first place. The characters aren't special and their choices don't matter in the grand scheme of things. 

Now this is not to that other universes can't work if we say they are different and unique and have their own problems (as long as there are no carbon copies waltzing about). In a different world with different rules and problems interacting with Mobius can be interesting, much more interesting than the giant potential existential crisis that is the current multiverse. To further illustrate the darkness of my point, go read Silcon Lemming’s the Quantum Man: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MvSVHEQx1wQ (just apply it Sonic and its instant nightmare fuel for us FUSers). Might I also reference that the writers at DC have all but abandoned this mode of thinking, and nuked their multi-verse a long time ago for this reason?  There are divergent universes, but there is somehow a limited amount (around 52).

So, how could we do multi-verse better?

I have already suggested two solutions. But I want to stick with one: we make different and finite amounts of unique worlds which have no simulacrums. Compared to the self-defeating and lazy writing of the former (I mean how easy is to whip up a cheap anti-sonic villain to be the dramatic foil of the day and all that jazz this way?), this would force the writer to craft a deeper and engaging lore to the Sonic Franchise, and add more potential for dynamic and meaningful conflict.

Remember Satam my fellow FUSers! Sonic's actions always meant something and it wasn't a confusing mess and victories meant something! Let’s keep the story contained or make the alternate worlds so unique as to keep everything clear-cut and meaningful.

#2 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,627 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'm not against Multiverses. DC comics and Marvel Comics use them all the time and I think they're great.  

However I think They should be toned down.  There is no point of having Mobius and Moebius if Evil Sonic (Scourge) Keeps leaving his universe and going to regular Mobius.  Why even bother giving him a home universe when he spends less time in it than Robotnik spends in Knothole?!

Second, why does he HAVE to invade Mobius?  Why not one of the other Dimensions?  Very rarely do we get to see anything other than Mobius and Moebius.  Why have the others if Sonic or Scourge just ignore them to begin with?  I'm saying they should visit them more often, but why bother creating one if they ain't gonna use it? (Also supported by the fact that 90% of everyone in the Multiverse Prison was from Moebius). 

#3 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Remember veryone hate Scrouge in Moebius (shitty name if you ask me)

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#4 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

A single "shadow world" can be intresting. What I am against is there being... http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sally_Moon, especially to level of cheapening the overarching story. I have strict personal "don't be lazy" policy with my own writing, and a "don't use alternate universes" rule. 

I feel you both on the Moebius/Scourge thing. You guys might like my upcoming story, let's just say, in a spoiler free-fashion, I do some intresting revisions to Flynn's ideas (I feel I can get away with more than the poor guy for one thing: seeing how SEGA is always breathing down his neck, making sure Sonic can't truly progress as a character nowadays (be defeated, retreat, fail, realize his faults), he always has to come out on the tip top, unlike in Satam where he could, at least in some aspects, fail (losing Kat, Ari, ect.), feared failure (like in Sonic's Nightmare), and had a broader arc.

#5 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

A single "shadow world" can be intresting. What I am against is there being... http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sally_Moon, especially to level of cheapening the overarching story. I have strict personal "don't be lazy" policy with my own writing, and a "don't use alternate universes" rule.

That was long ago, back when the comic was still trying to find new ways of continuing after the "Endgame" arc. Most stories involving the multiverse were stupid and pointless. The only one that had any real impact was the Soniczilla story, due to Sonic having to fight and kill an alternate doppelganger of his own father in a Robotnik-themed robot suit.

I feel you both on the Moebius/Scourge thing. You guys might like my upcoming story, let's just say, in a spoiler free-fashion, I do some intresting revisions to Flynn's ideas (I feel I can get away with more than the poor guy for one thing: seeing how SEGA is always breathing down his neck, making sure Sonic can't truly progress as a character nowadays (be defeated, retreat, fail, realize his faults), he always has to come out on the tip top, unlike in Satam where he could, at least in some aspects, fail (losing Kat, Ari, ect.), feared failure (like in Sonic's Nightmare), and had a broader arc.

Sega may have a constant surveillance on the comic, but Sonic occasionally still has some character development. In issue 236, he was giving away to his depression and considering giving up. Sure, it lasted for a brief moment in one issue, but it still showed that Sonic is capable of having conflicting emotions despite the constant mandates.

#6 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

That was long ago, back when the comic was still trying to find new ways of continuing after the "Endgame" arc. Most stories involving the multiverse were stupid and pointless. The only one that had any real impact was the Soniczilla story, due to Sonic having to fight and kill an alternate doppelganger of his own father in a Robotnik-themed robot suit.

Sega may have a constant surveillance on the comic, but Sonic occasionally still has some character development. In issue 236, he was giving away to his depression and considering giving up. Sure, it lasted for a brief moment in one issue, but it still showed that Sonic is capable of having conflicting emotions despite the constant mandates.

Imagine if that could be fully exploited? I'd really like to hear your ideas on this within that specific context.

#7 Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Running Wild

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Considering that nobody had plans for the Multiverse in the Archie Sonic series in the first place, it's no surprise that the multiple zones are a big mess, in fact Zonic in Scourge Lockdown and Eggman in Worlds Collide even state that their world is a broken mess in their own ways, it's not like Ian and Co. don't know about this when they flat out tell you this in the books. I do have an idea on how the Archie Sonic World can work with all these Zones, well it's more like a theory but hear me out.

The Archie Sonic Multiverse is actually a SINGLE Universe that is made up of multiple alternate dimensions with the Prime Zone being the original one. For one thing it would explain why Archie Sonic is Sonic Prime, as I always though that Sonic in the games was the TRUE Sonic Prime. The reason why we don't see those other parody worlds is because some zones are weaker then others and may possibly have a shorter lifespan, while other Zones that have had regular direct contact with the Prime Zone such as The No Zone and Anti Zone are still seen. If we look at it like that Archie Sonic's fight with Eggman and others are given much more meaning as if his zone was completely destroyed it would cause a chain reaction that would destroy the whole Universe, it also means that the world in the Games and other Media have just as much meaning as the Archie Comic as those are their own universe. That's how I make sense of The Archie Sonic Multiverse anyway, I do have ideas on how I would have done things differently in the Archie Comic but I'll save those in a later post...that and I can't think of any right now.

I'm not against Multiverses. DC comics and Marvel Comics use them all the time and I think they're great.  

However I think They should be toned down.  There is no point of having Mobius and Moebius if Evil Sonic (Scourge) Keeps leaving his universe and going to regular Mobius.  Why even bother giving him a home universe when he spends less time in it than Robotnik spends in Knothole?!

Second, why does he HAVE to invade Mobius?  Why not one of the other Dimensions?  Very rarely do we get to see anything other than Mobius and Moebius.  Why have the others if Sonic or Scourge just ignore them to begin with?  I'm saying they should visit them more often, but why bother creating one if they ain't gonna use it? (Also supported by the fact that 90% of everyone in the Multiverse Prison was from Moebius). 

There is a good reason why Scourge doesn't fight other Sonics in other worlds, it's because he's obsessed with being the BEST Sonic and with Prime Zone's Sonic being the, well PRIME Sonic if he beats him Scourge will think he is best. Think about it like this, would Bass in the Megaman Series be satisfied with beating down a different Megaman then the one he's always known? No, because he isn't the one that beat him time and time again, same thing goes for Scourge in that essence. He doesn't stay in his Zone because Moebius is completely broken and in ruin basically, he already ruled it with his gang before he met Sonic. Scourge didn't have a rival and did not have any kind of challenge in life in the beginning, once Sonic showed up it gave Scourge a new purpose and that is to be better then him. While he does make huge claims that he'll be King of the Multiverse (yeah, good luck with that one) the truth is that EVERYTHING else is 2nd and that defeating Sonic is the one and only thing that truly matters to him. I do agree with you on them showing more of the other zones, hell I'd love to see Scourge's Origins and how he came to be.

Seriously, HOW THE HELL did nobody know that Robotnik was evil!? I mean just look at those red, glowing, hellish eyes, oh yeah I can completely trust that guy with my life! *sarcasm*

#8 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

I figured the Archieverse was called "Mobius-Prime" because it's the main source of the all the American canons that take place on Mobius (SatAM, Underground, ect.) spawn from. (I don't include AoStH, on account of it being fictional.)

I mean, the SegaSonic universe takes place on Earth (or a place similar to Earth). So it wouldn't be called "Mobius"-Prime, would it? Judging by it's appearance and overall setting, it's either a future Earth or one of the many alternate Earths.

Also, in the "Genesis" arc, Dr. Eggman tries resetting Mobius-Prime back to it's pure basics with a Chaos Emerald. The result was a world eerily similar to the SegaSonic world. And since Sally, Rotor, Antoine, and Snively (and also Bunnie and Julie-Su) were also present, it could hint that they themselves also exist in the SegaSonic universe.

#9 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

There is a good reason why Scourge doesn't fight other Sonics in other worlds, it's because he's obsessed with being the BEST Sonic and with Prime Zone's Sonic being the, well PRIME Sonic if he beats him Scourge will think he is best. Think about it like this, would Bass in the Megaman Series be satisfied with beating down a different Megaman then the one he's always known? No, because he isn't the one that beat him time and time again, same thing goes for Scourge in that essence. He doesn't stay in his Zone because Moebius is completely broken and in ruin basically, he already ruled it with his gang before he met Sonic. Scourge didn't have a rival and did not have any kind of challenge in life in the beginning, once Sonic showed up it gave Scourge a new purpose and that is to be better then him. While he does make huge claims that he'll be King of the Multiverse (yeah, good luck with that one) the truth is that EVERYTHING else is 2nd and that defeating Sonic is the one and only thing that truly matters to him. I do agree with you on them showing more of the other zones, hell I'd love to see Scourge's Origins and how he came to be.

The problem is Scourge Made his Mobius "Moebius" to prove he wasn't just an Evil Sonic.  So why focus on beating this Sonic?  Why not take the time to build up like when he conquered Moebius?  

Alternatively he always invades Mobius Prime to fight Sonic.  Why not bring Sonic to another world where Scourge could have the advantage.  The one time that happened, Scourge didn't intend to be thrown back into Moebius. 

#10 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Comic-wise: What wouldnt i have done differently

SatAM-wise: Not much

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#11 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Forgive Ben, he's a Hater when it comes to the comics. 

#12 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm not a hater of the comics, more or less its current direction

#13 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Which you've stated many times over in the other threads.  xD

I'm just saying this time rather than just hating on it, why not actually say what you'd do differently?  

#14 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Okay

First off i would devote more time towards the comic cast than they are currently getting. Seeing how this is their only spotlight that they will get they should be getting it with Sonic. Sure Amy and Tails would get their panel time but they arent gonna be in all the time like they are now.

Second: Emotions. I feel they really lack them... or decent ones. Like when Sonic said the Freedom Fighters were done. One moment sad, the very next moment happy. Plus he didnt care that Sally was roboticized. Sure he's like that but its your best friend/girl friend. I would have Sonic showing more concern.

Third: Decnt plots. Sure ES was screwed up cause of Kenny Penders but at the start it looked good. But some plot points seem forced and rather Deus Ex Machina ish to me and to a lot of the fans.

Fourth: Make Fiona a good girl again, she's a terrible villain. Also have Scrouge act better. He's a whiney brat. Sounds like my little cousin

Lastly: Being able to mix a dark tone and humor. Kinda like the beginning days mixed with EndGame and even something more darker

#15 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Honestly, I find the earlier issues overbearingly embarrassing. I mean, SatAM was nowhere near perfect (there are tons of problems which most fans of the series ignore), but it still managed to create an interesting world with memorable characters, a exciting atmosphere, and tons of adventure that won lots of fans over. On the other hand, the comics around at the time were nothing like the series. They were either too goofy or too serious for a supposed "continuation" of the SatAM series.

And while the comics never did reach the same level of enjoyment as the television series, I feel the current depiction is the closest in spirit it ever reached. It's noway similar, but I have just as much fun reading the series as watching the original show.

#16 VHS

VHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Fourth: Make Fiona a good girl again, she's a terrible villain.

Agreed.

Honestly, I find the earlier issues overbearingly embarrassing. I mean, SatAM was nowhere near perfect (there are tons of problems which most fans of the series ignore), but it still managed to create an interesting world with memorable characters, a exciting atmosphere, and tons of adventure that won lots of fans over. On the other hand, the comics around at the time were nothing like the series. They were either too goofy or too serious for a supposed "continuation" of the SatAM series.

And while the comics never did reach the same level as the television series, I feel the current depiction is the closest in spirit it ever reached. It's noway similar, but I have just as much fun reading the series as watching the original show.

Is it bad if I say I PREFER the earlier issues?

10b1877fec7ebd7925e7572ebfed538a01ac451b

#17 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

And while the comics never did reach the same level as the television series, I feel the current depiction is the closest in spirit it ever reached. It's noway similar, but I have just as much fun reading the series as watching the original show.

The Beginning was okay but they really hit their stride with EndGame up until 125. Granted Flynn has helped the comic rebound but he's alienating a lot of fans

#18 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Is it bad if I say I PREFER the earlier issues?

Of course not. There's nothing wrong with one's preference.

My problem with them is that they were trying to appeal to two completely different depictions of the series and not really doing their own take at it. For something meant to tie in with the SatAM series, it didn't do either; even after the series was canceled.

They were probably better off doing their own thing.

#19 TheRedStranger

TheRedStranger

The Soothsayer of Aeons.

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

The Beginning was okay but they really hit their stride with EndGame up until 125. Granted Flynn has helped the comic rebound but he's alienating a lot of fans

Intresting opinion, Ben. How so? And, more impoartantly, how do you think that could that be prevented?

#20 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Intresting opinion, Ben. How so? And, more impoartantly, how do you think that could that be prevented?

See i felt EndGame was a great arc and afterwards was great. Sure there were some issues that werent good but after 125 it started to decline. Rock Bottom was 134 and it was difficult getting it back up ther. Bollers was a terrible writer in my honest opinion. Flynn has brought the subscribers back up but at the same time he has alienated fans who have been around for the longest time in favor for the newer generation. Now i understand why hes favoring the newer generation  but theres no need to alienate us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users