Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

Photo

Archie Files Federal Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

So as we are all aware Ken Penders claimed that everything he ever created while he was a writer for Archie Comics is his property and not theirs. You can read more on all of that here.

Now things have been fairly silent in the past few months. No news on either front in till now. Archie Comics has filed a federal lawsuit against Ken Penders. Get the details here.

Okay so why did I put this in the news? Well its not every day you see a federal lawsuit due to Sonic characters.

So what are your thoughts on all of this? Should Ken just shut up and stop bitching? Is Archie the bad guy? Well.. I guess that is up to the courts now. However I'm sure I can get all your view points before we hear from the courts. So spit it out. What are your thoughts on this whole mess?

#2 Bakuda

Bakuda

The Music Man

• Tech Guy
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

It all depends on the contractual agreement. The works belong to whomever holds the rights to them, and that should be part of the contract agreed upon between Archie Comics and Ken when he began working there.
Click "Show" button in case of fire -->
Spoiler

#3 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

*snerk*

All I can say is, "Don't say I didn't warn ya, Ken."

#4 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

To me, this guy is just trying to give Archie a hard time for firing him so he wants to drag the whole ship down with him.
Way I see it, the only thing he should be credited for is the Knuckles comics and he's long been payed for his work on that. I do miss the complexities he brought to some of the stories but on the other hand, he made alot of boring and odd choices that hurt things more than Ian ever did...lest we forget the lovely Karl Bollers.
Does every writer for Marvel and DC have automatic claim over the characters they create? No. Because its a character your handing over to the company you work under. End of discussion.

#5 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

I suggest we stop potentially feeding his ego with topics about him...

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

#6 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

I still don't get how Penders thought that trying to get the rights to his characters was a smart idea. He's looking to lose a lot of money on this case, and I can't see him winning this.
I kind of feel bad for Penders a little bit. When he started his run on the comic, he was pretty good. His work on Knuckles was awesome. He made Knuckles into an interesting character. But by the end of his run, his work had really gone downhill. At the end it didn't feel like Penders even wanted to tell Sonic stories anymore, it felt like he wanted to tell Ken Pender stories that just so happen to have Sonic characters in them.

#7 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 2 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does every writer for Marvel and DC have automatic claim over the characters they create? No. Because its a character your handing over to the company you work under. End of discussion.

And that's one of the biggest problems with American comics, why pour your heart and soul into creating something that ultimately won't be yours at the end of the day? That someone in management could just snatch from you on a whim? Not to sound like a weeaboo but the Japanese (and I think the Korean is similar) system where the original creator retains creative control is just superior when you think about it.

QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 2 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, this guy is just trying to give Archie a hard time for firing him so he wants to drag the whole ship down with him.
Way I see it, the only thing he should be credited for is the Knuckles comics and he's long been payed for his work on that. I do miss the complexities he brought to some of the stories but on the other hand, he made alot of boring and odd choices that hurt things more than Ian ever did...lest we forget the lovely Karl Bollers.

Sorry, I can't see how anyone who's been reading the comics for as long as you could say that. Ian completely mischaracterizes and marginalizes the Freedom Fighters to the point that they're not even the same characters anymore.

And personally I'd rather read the complex, well thought out storyline with twists and turns than a monthly slugfest even if it did take a lot of curious creative turns it at least wasn't boring.
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.
But if you're in on it, you can make it." - Vincent Price

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#8 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 2 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that's one of the biggest problems with American comics, why pour your heart and soul into creating something that ultimately won't be yours at the end of the day?

Well, let's think about it. Ken was writing for a comic called Sonic the Hedgehog, a series that was created by Archie based on a property created by Sega. That's two ways Ken didn't own the series he was working on, and that's not even taking its SatAM ancestry into account. So then the question becomes, "Why pour your heart and soul into creating something for a property that was never yours to begin with?"

In other words, if you want to own your stuff that bad, create it for your own property and not somebody else's. That's all you gotta do.

#9 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Your Average Couch Potato

• FUS Reporter
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Oh well. Such much for the Mega Man comic is all I can say. tongue.gif

#10 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (furrykef @ Dec 2 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 2 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that's one of the biggest problems with American comics, why pour your heart and soul into creating something that ultimately won't be yours at the end of the day?

Well, let's think about it. Ken was writing for a comic called Sonic the Hedgehog, a series that was created by Archie based on a property created by Sega. That's two ways Ken didn't own the series he was working on, and that's not even taking its SatAM ancestry into account. So then the question becomes, "Why pour your heart and soul into creating something for a property that was never yours to begin with?"

In other words, if you want to own your stuff that bad, create it for your own property and not somebody else's. That's all you gotta do.

Yeah, but Ken claims the characters he created. I was making a general statement mostly applying to the big two, Marvel and DC. But in a lot of ways (everything but the extra factors of Sega and DiC) this is just like what would happen if a writer created a character for one of THOSE company's canons and had it ripped away from them. Which has happened for decades, but Ken was pretty much the soul creator and only writer for his characters until he got rudely taken off the comic, so s'a tad more personal.
It would be like Steve Ditko not getting credit or royalties for creating Dr. Strange/co-creating Spider-Man, or Bill Finger not being credited or given any rights/royalties for most of the work in creating both Batman and Robin, oh wait...

Of course sometimes this situation can yield hilarious results. Like when Rob Liefeld loudly protested when one of his characters was turned gay like a decade after they (the character) had been taken off Liefeld's hands*. If only this didn't happen to good artists as well. *sigh*

http://www.comicsall...-him-a-not-gay/
"I really think of life as a great expression of joy. And if you take yourself seriously you're going to be defeated I'm afraid.
...Maybe that is the whole recipe of life, is to be in on the joke. Because life is a joke and if you're not in on it you're out.

"What have you got to lose? You know you come from nothing you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"
- Eric Idle

#11 FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Resident Freaky Filmmaker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

I'm not surprised in the slightest. I remember one TV pilot I was a part of where once of the freelance camera guys got his personal computer stolen on the set. (It was one of those live audience things, and someone just took his stuff.) Personal items were not insured by the producers, so the camera guy (being fresh out of film school) refused to submit the footage he shot to the producers of the show. I think he even tried to file a law suit. So the producers are suing him for stealing the footage, even though it was shot using the student's camera.

Ken, stop acting like a dick. You run around under contract to create and develop characters for Archie's comic book series. Like the film student, none of this stuff belongs to you, even if you were the guy who drew it. That's just how the contract was written, and that's just how you signed it. Take what you've learned writing for Sonic and develop your own series and make up your own characters for it. We'd all love you for it.
I believe in what I want to believe in, you believe in what you want to believe in, so when someone wants to believe in something, no one will know what to believe!
Believe it or not...

StefanFilms
My Graphic Art Page

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Personally I thought Penders trying to copyright stories about characters owned by a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COMPANY (SEGA) which he made characters for for the company he is taking said characters from is stupid.

If they were his own stories featuring only his own characters yes, he was in the right, but it is SEGA's characters and Archie Comics hired him to write FOR them so the characters are Archie's.

#13 LaserX5

LaserX5

Sonic Satam Purist

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (chief @ Dec 1 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So as we are all aware Ken Penders claimed that everything he ever created while he was a writer for Archie Comics is his property and not theirs. You can read more on all of that here.

Now things have been fairly silent in the past few months. No news on either front in till now. Archie Comics has filed a federal lawsuit against Ken Penders. Get the details here.

Okay so why did I put this in the news? Well its not every day you see a federal lawsuit due to Sonic characters.

So what are your thoughts on all of this? Should Ken just shut up and stop bitching? Is Archie the bad guy? Well.. I guess that is up to the courts now. However I'm sure I can get all your view points before we hear from the courts. So spit it out. What are your thoughts on this whole mess?

Ken Penders should be glad Archie doesn't sue him for all the nonsense he caused as writer of the comic during his time.

I'll give him credit for some of the things he wrote about because not all of his ideas were bad, just most of em.

But in my opinion, they're both bad.
Posted Image

#14 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

In my opinion. Ratty, it doesn't matter if he is trying to lay claim to characters he created. The whole universe is copyrighted and isn't his. There for anything he puts into it follows that same thing.

I do know what you mean with how Japanese get full creative credit on their stories and so on and I think that works out there. However the Sonic comic that is based off of so many things to start off with.. No. He knew going into it that Archie, SEGA, and whoever else have full copyrights. You don't see the artists doing this after they draw a new character from scratch. Ken was nothing bet a pen for higher and he should realize that. If he wanted those characters he should have gone independent and done things his way in order to bypass whatever copyrights are there.

#15 acstrife

acstrife

THE LAW!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

Its simple, the characters belong to Arche/Sega. He signed a contract knowing that information, whining later on about it only makes him look foolish.
Glory lasts forever

#16 hedgehogfan162

hedgehogfan162

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

i say ken is getting what he deserves, you know what goes around comes around rember that old saying that fits pefectly her. i mean he brought sonic and sally together just so he could break them up in the worst way. he effectively pissed off probably close to 100% of their fan base with one issue and now he is the one who is pissed

in my judgment this is justice
soo many boxes so little time

#17 John Roberts

John Roberts

It's a nativity scene, except nobody here is wise

• Admins
  • 7,063,004 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

I liked what he tried to do with Sally (End Game stuff). Well, not LIKE like, but I appreciate it from a story telling perspective. I'm not quite sure how this law suit is 'justice' in that sense; he was doing his job trying to write something interesting, not physically walk around and punch fans in the face and rape their pets. And I think he single single-handedly created and established the best Knuckle/Echidnas mythology to date (I want to read that Locke graphic novel of his, dammit!), so on those merits I can't not like him. Really not sure what he had hoped to achieve by starting up this whole mess in the first place, however. What, Archie was just gong to sign over all those characters to him?

At the end of the day I just hope this is all settled outside of court. No single person deserves to have their arses sued off by an entire company that can, more often than not, afford to nail 'em to the wall to the point of ruin. Good luck to you, Ken.

9:06

#18 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (John Roberts @ Dec 3 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No single person deserves to have their arses sued off by an entire company that can, more often than not, afford to nail 'em to the wall to the point of ruin.

Not even if they jump around waving a giant flag saying "Nail me to the wall"? 'Cause that's pretty much what he did.

Anyway, as I understand it, the lawsuit isn't to punish him so much as to settle the matter of who owns what once and for all. So any punishment for Ken is more of a side effect (legal fees, time wasted) -- but I still can't help but feel schadenfreude for the punishment he does get.

#19 Ratty Randnums

Ratty Randnums

He of Little Sleep

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (furrykef @ Dec 3 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I still can't help but feel schadenfreude for the punishment he does get.

Why?

QUOTE (hedgehogfan162 @ Dec 3 2010, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i say ken is getting what he deserves, you know what goes around comes around rember that old saying that fits pefectly her. i mean he brought sonic and sally together just so he could break them up in the worst way. he effectively pissed off probably close to 100% of their fan base with one issue and now he is the one who is pissed

in my judgment this is justice

Hah what? As John Roberts said he was just trying to be a good storyteller. And he was.
See you're obviously still affected deeply by the Endgame storyline, and apparently his others relating to Sonic/Sally, all these years later.
The drama in the story drew you in so much it actually affected your life.
Personally I'd rather Sally had stayed dead in Endgame, than become the grotesque marionette Possession Sue she is now. As I understand Flynn has even written a blog confessing his feelings that Sally is "just about perfect in every way". But consider it, if she had really died in Endgame it would have been a poetically powerful, realistically bittersweet ending to the war and the Freedom Fighter's struggles.

- Eric Idle

#20 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Ratty Randnums @ Dec 3 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

'Cause like I said, what he's doing is akin to wearing a bullseye saying "shoot me", then acting surprised when somebody shoots you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users