Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

Sony Is Making A Mario Movie

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

YOU READ THAT RIGHT:

http://mynintendonew...rio-bros-movie/

And it's gonna be animated, THANK GOD

Now, consider this: Sony is making movies of Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Sonic AND MARIO.

SONY. THE GUYS WHO COMPETE WITH NINTENDO.
More proof: http://kotaku.com/re...artoon-16701925
image.jpg

#2 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

Not holding my breath.

I wanna see this, i really do, however there's been a ton of video game movies that get announced but never make it to theaters

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#3 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

I'm hoping it's good.

Of course Nintendo's been bad with it in the past. They shot down a live-action Metroid, a CGI Zelda, and sadly, a Super Paper Mario adaptation.
image.jpg

#4 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

Page not found?

I'd like to see a Super Mario Bros Movie done right, but that's the problem.  What is "done right"?  My interpretation of what Mario is, may not align with somebody else's.  Unlike Sly Cooper or Ratchet and Clank (What no Jak and Daxter?  *boop*)  which have relatively good storylines that tie things together, Mario Does not.  Mario has never been heavily story driven.  Giving an official story could ruin Mario for years to come.  Look what the timeline has done for Legend of Zelda.  Nobody likes this timeline.  It shouldn't have ever existed.  

#5 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Honestly, I kinda enjoyed the infamous live-action "Super Mario Bros." movie.

I mean, yeah, it's cheesy and nothing like the sourse material. But in all fairness, it's much like SatAM in that regard. It tried giving the Mario series an interesting premise as well as giving the characters more character. And in that objective, it did pretty well. Plus, the cast did a good job at playing their roles (especially the late Bob Hoskins), and the special effects and animatronics were pretty good for their time.

Had the film bore a closer resemblance to the games, it probably would have a better reception amongst the fanbase.

#6 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

SatAM is way closer to its source material than the Super Mario Bros. movie was to its own. SatAM kept all the key elements of the source material while adding and changing details. The Super Mario Bros. movie was mostly a cyberpunk wannabe with Mario elements bolted on. Mario and cyberpunk have never gone together, either then or now. We already know what a Mario adaptation done right -- both a live action adaptation and an animated one -- would look like because we had the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Sure, the scripts were lousy and the animation was occasionally poor, but they did everything else right.

#7 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

SatAM is way closer to its source material than the Super Mario Bros. movie was to its own. SatAM kept all the key elements of the source material while adding and changing details. The Super Mario Bros. movie was mostly a cyberpunk wannabe with Mario elements bolted on. Mario and cyberpunk have never gone together, either then or now. We already know what a Mario adaptation done right -- both a live action adaptation and an animated one -- would look like because we had the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Sure, the scripts were lousy and the animation was occasionally poor, but they did everything else right.

The only thing the SatAM show got down was Sonic's appearance and character. Everything else, though, was either origonal, or entirely different from its original concept. Tails, for example, has a completely different design and characterization compared to the games (besides the pilot, did he even fly during the show?); the rings acted more like power-ups rather than life-support, and Robotnik's depiction could easily count as an entirely different character.

#8 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

Sure, but the setting was appropriate. The Great Forest, Mobotropolis, and Robotropolis all would have seemed like fine settings in the games. The premise that Robotnik wanted to mechanize and roboticize everything had precedent in the games. Sure, power rings worked a bit differently, but the idea that Sonic was more powerful with them than without them was at least a familiar concept, and there weren't really any ways to have rings in the story without changing their function at least a little. (Would you want to watch a ton of episodes where Sonic has to gather 50 rings?)

In the Mario movie, on the other hand, the Mushroom Kingdom didn't even exist. Toad became human for no reason (and then he became a goomba). I imagine they were worried that a mushroom costume would look stupid, but in that case they could have left Toad out altogether. Koopa's devolution plot had no precedence in the games or other Mario media. Koopa and Bowser became two different people for no reason. And on and on. Most of the elements that were used were changed so much, or taken so far out of context, as to be nearly unrecognizable. That might have been OK if what they came up with were any good (like the way SatAM changed the function of rings), but about the only thing they got right in that area was the Bob-omb.

This is all setting aside the point that SatAM had less to go on than the Mario Bros. movie did. By the time Super Mario Bros. filmed, there were no less than three reasonably faithful cartoon series, so people had an idea of what a Mario adaptation should look like.

#9 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

The thing with the Mario movie was utter development hell. It was supposed to at least resemble the games more, but the rewrites and the meddling fucked it up.

image.jpg

#10 Vlad Yvhv

Vlad Yvhv

"Non-Intruder Organism"

• Fellow FUSer
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

I've given up on videogame moves. Call me when someone decides to finally do a remake of Airwolf.

Projection: If Intruder Organism reaches civilized areas...

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users