Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Ishapar : (14 December 2019 - 04:23 AM)

Not bad. Would be neat if my grandpa makes it that old.

@  Shadow : (12 December 2019 - 03:19 PM)

I hope I get to live to 93.

@  Wulfsbane : (11 December 2019 - 09:42 AM)

@  Ishapar : (09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Shame to hear about that. How old was he?

@  RedG : (06 December 2019 - 06:04 PM)

Sorry to hear, Wulfsbane. My condolences.

@  Wulfsbane : (05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM)

My grandfather passed on the 17th.

@  chief : (30 November 2019 - 03:32 PM)

oh?

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

This year's Thanksgiving was a lot tougher than normal.

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

Same to you.

@  RedAuthar : (28 November 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Happy American Turkey Day

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

Photo

Writer Ian Flynn Discusses Giving The Sonic Comic Series A Fresh Start

IDW comics sonic ian flynn

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

So they interviewed Ian Flynn about the upcoming IDW Sonic comics. A fairly long and interesting read, and what stood out to me the most was this,

From the outset, I'm only considering the game material to draw from because you never know what the licenser wants represented or not. So, down the line, we might incorporate other older elements and fringes of the franchise, but for right now, it's that core game feel. Straightforward stories, lots of cinematic action early on. No long monologues or deep world building. No heavy focus on lore or backgrounds. It's focused on the adventure we have on hand and building on that.

Not sure what to make of that. Personally, I like it when stories get somewhat intricate yet not convoluted, or when a character's background is explored; it helps to explain why they are the way they are, what motivates them.

He also says that there'll be no "deep world building", which to me is kind of a bummer, because, for example, in the Lord of the Rings series, the reader/viewer is carefully shown the kind of world/universe the setting takes place in. Different creatures and races are presented, customs and traditions are shown, the way all the inhabitants interact are made manifest, etc. This is good storytelling, it sets the scene and makes everything more organic and natural.

Thoughts? Opinions?  :biggrin:

#2 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Fresh start is a very ambiguous statement. Fresh start could either mean wiping the entire slate clean and starting over with game characters only like in the Genesis storyline from Archie, or introducing the characters again in simple meet and greet adventure stories. I feel its more of the former.

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Fresh start is a very ambiguous statement. Fresh start could either mean wiping the entire slate clean and starting over with game characters only like in the Genesis storyline from Archie, or introducing the characters again in simple meet and greet adventure stories. I feel its more of the former.

IDW when it restarted GI Joe and TMNT went with a Meet and Greet Approach.  That said they didn't hesitate to change the status quo or expected approach on a whim.  

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

From the outset, I'm only considering the game material to draw from because you never know what the licenser wants represented or not. So, down the line, we might incorporate other older elements and fringes of the franchise, but for right now, it's that core game feel. Straightforward stories, lots of cinematic action early on. No long monologues or deep world building. No heavy focus on lore or backgrounds. It's focused on the adventure we have on hand and building on that.

Not sure what to make of that. Personally, I like it when stories get somewhat intricate yet not convoluted, or when a character's background is explored; it helps to explain why they are the way they are, what motivates them.

He also says that there'll be no "deep world building", which to me is kind of a bummer, because, for example, in the Lord of the Rings series, the reader/viewer is carefully shown the kind of world/universe the setting takes place in. Different creatures and races are presented, customs and traditions are shown, the way all the inhabitants interact are made manifest, etc. This is good storytelling, it sets the scene and makes everything more organic and natural.

I'm pretty sure there will be some world-building in the series, but it won't be the main focus. The main focus is on introducing the characters (both old and new) and their adventures instead of just dumping a whole bunch of exposition at the reader.

#5 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

I kind of feel the same way, given the current character reveals we know of (Tangle the Lemur, Rough and Tumble).

IDW when it restarted GI Joe and TMNT went with a Meet and Greet Approach.  That said they didn't hesitate to change the status quo or expected approach on a whim.  

Maybe they'll spice things up a little and do both new, fresh characters and situations as well as old familiar faces and scenes. I wouldn't mind that personally as long as the plots are good.

I'm pretty sure there will be some world-building in the series, but it won't be the main focus. The main focus is on introducing the characters (both old and new) and their adventures instead of just dumping a whole bunch of exposition at the reader.

Yeah, there's way to do deeper world building such that it blends in organically with the plot/story/characters without being cumbersome, though. That right there is an element of good storytelling I feel.

#6 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Another part of me thinks that Ian is thinking he can invent new characters of his own to fill the void left by the Freedom Fighters to be the new gang Sonic hangs out with. He certainly wont give any damn answers over his twitter about it.

#7 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,584 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

He never does, if you want to get answers from him you need to donate to his podcast and maybe he'll give a half decent answer

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#8 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Another part of me thinks that Ian is thinking he can invent new characters of his own to fill the void left by the Freedom Fighters to be the new gang Sonic hangs out with. He certainly wont give any damn answers over his twitter about it.

He never does, if you want to get answers from him you need to donate to his podcast and maybe he'll give a half decent answer

Or you could read the comic when it's released. Why spoil it early?

But Ian has stated that we may be seeing characters from other iterations making a return in this series, so the Freedom Fighters might still make an appearance. I mean, IDW did say there's something in it for Archie fans.

#9 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

Because giving away answers that IDW hasn't approved would get him fired and essentially banned from the industry.  Spoilers are a big time no-no in the Comic Book industry.  

#10 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,584 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

Because giving away answers that IDW hasn't approved would get him fired and essentially banned from the industry.  Spoilers are a big time no-no in the Comic Book industry.  

That was a more in general thing, not just IDW. Even if you ask him about Archie or even Other M, he gives half answers.

Or you could read the comic when it's released. Why spoil it early?

As I said before, I'm not against spoilers.  I would just like a more of an allusion than a "wait and see."

With them alluding to it, you're more likely to get people to subscribe to see when they come in. A "wait and See" will deter readers until they come in and then they would subscribe

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#11 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

On October 9, 2017, Flynn stated on Bumbleking that there could be a chance that the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity from the Archie comics could be concluded in the IDW comics along with the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity, as he also said that IDW is famous for bringing back and completing older runs of fan-favorite franchise comics when they can.

#12 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

That could be just him reaching for what ifs before IDW told him any concrete plans. Also considering how he is emphasizing now everything will be NEW NEW NEW I don't see him backpedaling from an obvious company statement to separate themselves from Archie.

#13 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

But IDW did continue both Transformers and GiJoe lines Marvel Comics started. It's still possible.

Probably not for at least another year though.

#14 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Word from the grape vine tells IDW is banned from using the word "Mobian" to further separate themselves from Archie.

#15 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

That's kinda lame.

#16 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

That might be a possibility, as the Games call Mobius Earth (or Urf according to Sonic).  As such the "mobians" don't have an overarching species.  That said, losing the term "Mobian" doesn't mean mobians won't be a thing.  

#17 FooNess

FooNess

Let's do it to it!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:49 AM

Word from the grape vine tells IDW is banned from using the word "Mobian" to further separate themselves from Archie.

That does kind of suck.

#18 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

That might be a possibility, as the Games call Mobius Earth (or Urf according to Sonic).  As such the "mobians" don't have an overarching species.  That said, losing the term "Mobian" doesn't mean mobians won't be a thing.  

Turns out, even the name "Earth" is banned. It's now officially recognized as "Sonic's World".

Yeah, a pretty lazy name. Ian agrees as well, which is why he opted never to mention its name in the reboot.

#19 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:28 AM

"It's now officially recognized as "Sonic's World"."

I am beyond disgust towards Sega. What kind of idiot would choose such a name, let alone force it? Damn Iizuka and Japanese corporate promotion practices, I'd rather have even Penders than you and I mean it.

#20 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:07 AM

"It's now officially recognized as "Sonic's World"."

I am beyond disgust towards Sega. What kind of idiot would choose such a name, let alone force it? Damn Iizuka and Japanese corporate promotion practices, I'd rather have even Penders than you and I mean it.

I'm guessing it's because they want it to be simple, much like how Nintendo handles their Mario franchise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IDW, comics, sonic, ian flynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users