Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (23 November 2020 - 04:17 AM)

Me.

@  Nex : (21 November 2020 - 07:11 PM)

All this chat about failing hardware reminds me that I gotta update my GPU n SSD this year. Who'dve thought an M.2 boot drive could get filled entirely by sodding Windows updates >.<

@  tiff15 : (21 November 2020 - 12:28 PM)

computer fans are starting to wonk out, so Im using a laptop for now...Hi all!

@  furrykef : (18 November 2020 - 05:56 AM)

The bad news is my hard drive is busted. So I'm currently on a Linux Mint Live CD. Ain't that fun?

@  furrykef : (18 November 2020 - 05:56 AM)

Whew! I'm finally on my PC after three weeks of not being able to use it.

@  Shadow : (07 November 2020 - 01:51 PM)

FUS should bring back the artist galleries.

@  Ishapar : (05 November 2020 - 01:22 PM)

Honestly I only come here for Sea3on and the forums.

@  Nex : (03 November 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Crikey! I'm so used t just heading straight to the forum since the front page hadn't updated since July 2019 xD

@  wildfire : (03 November 2020 - 01:09 AM)

HOLY SCHNIKES! The main site's been updated

@  Nex : (28 October 2020 - 10:15 AM)

You can panic all you like though. Just don't you DARE painc!

@  John Roberts : (28 October 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Don't painc!

@  tiff15 : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 AM)

Thanks for the welcome guys. Im working with Octascratchrock right now on our RP series. once thats up to snuff, we can continue the series here (I hope.) I'll also see about moving my fan fiction series here as well.

@  Shadow : (15 October 2020 - 12:36 PM)

All your base are belong to us.

@  Ishapar : (13 October 2020 - 12:16 PM)

So the last two days had the most shoutbox activity. We broke a record, mates!

@  Ishapar : (13 October 2020 - 12:11 PM)

I haven't been doing much of anything in life, so I really haven't been to forums either. Hey, tiff15, welcome back.

@  Nex : (13 October 2020 - 12:54 AM)

Ya most of the FUS monkeys like to hide in the Discord server these days.

@  tiff15 : (12 October 2020 - 05:02 PM)

I see. well, Im just glad someone answered at some point. Ive been to less active forums, so this is fine! ^-^

@  furrykef : (12 October 2020 - 11:28 AM)

This forum isn't terribly active, unfortunately...

@  tiff15 : (11 October 2020 - 05:19 PM)

Is anyone on tonight?

@  tiff15 : (11 October 2020 - 01:18 PM)

Finally got back in! I missed this place!

Photo

Satam Episode Chronology

SatAM episode timeline chronology

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

The forums haven't been all that active lately, so I thought I'd try to liven it up.

We know that one of the things which SatAM is highly praised for is its continuity. But the thing is, its 1st season was rather loose in terms of continuity. It didn't have much of an ongoing story till it reached its 2nd season.

So, in an effort to rectify it, in what order would you place the 1st season's episodes?

Personally, I can sorta piece together the first couple of episodes into a single narrative (not counting the pilot episode). "Sonic Boom" is obviously the first in the continuity, since it provides an explanation for how Sally was able to obtain the layouts of Robotropolis and its secret underground systems in later episodes. We later see her using these same layouts again (albeit briefly) in the following episode "Sonic & Sally". In the end of "Sonic & Sally", the Sallybot goes on a rampage and destroys the roboticizer intended for the real Sally. A similar-looking busted roboticizer can be seen in the beginning of "Ultra Sonic", going on the fritz while Snively monitors its repairs. And later on, they encounter the roboticized Uncle Chuck.

This small sense of continuity leads me to believe that the character Kat in "Sonic Boom" was originally intended to be Uncle Chuck. I mean, think about it: they're both elderly Freedom Fighters, voiced by William Windom, that sacrificed themselves in order to save the others. Heck, the implication towards the end of the episode suggests that Kat was taken away to be roboticized. Had it been Uncle Chuck in the role, this could've been the perfect introductory episode for him.

In terms of the later episodes, the continuity gets murkier. The only other connection I could make is one small scene in "Sonic Racer". During the race, Sonic is seen racing through a barren section of Robotropolis covered with pools of toxic waste, from which robotic arms extend to grab any unsuspecting victims and pull them towards certain doom. Similar-looking pools were shown in the previous episode "Super Sonic", surrounding Lazaar's fortress in the Forbidden Zone. Could it be the same location? The fortress is nowhere to be seen in the later episode, so it must take place sometime afterwards.

What are your thoughts on this? Do any of you have a coherent narrative pieced together from the 1st season's episodes?

#2 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

There was also the whole thing about taking down Robotnik's power systems. They took out the main generator in Sonic & Sally, only to discover he had a backup, and the backup generator is mentioned in a couple of subsequent episodes, so we know those had to take place after Sonic & Sally.

It's too bad we don't have the production numbers or we'd know the order they're supposed to go in.

#3 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

Personally I just take season 1 with a grain of salt. It happened but maybe not the way that we saw it happen. The two seasons really do feel like different shows. Take Dulcy as an example. Season 2 acts as if she's always been there plus there's the King Acorn plothole. In season 1 he was in Ironlock Prison  while in season 2 we see that he's been in the Void since Robotnik's Coup.

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Personally I just take season 1 with a grain of salt. It happened but maybe not the way that we saw it happen. The two seasons really do feel like different shows. Take Dulcy as an example. Season 2 acts as if she's always been there plus there's the King Acorn plothole. In season 1 he was in Ironlock Prison  while in season 2 we see that he's been in the Void since Robotnik's Coup.

It's funny that you mentioned that. I recall reading an interesting theory on these forums which attempted to explain that major plothole. To put it simply, season 1 is the original timeline, but the 2nd season is a divergent timeline caused by Sonic and Sally's time-traveling escapade; a world in which King Acorn was banished into the Void.

#5 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

We know that Sub-Sonic has to come before Hooked on Sonics. In Sub-Sonic it's stated that a ring generates every 12 hours, but in Hooked on Sonics it's 24. We can logically assume that breaking off half of the power stone and giving it to Griff reduced the ring generator's output by half.

There was also the whole thing about taking down Robotnik's power systems. They took out the main generator in Sonic & Sally, only to discover he had a backup, and the backup generator is mentioned in a couple of subsequent episodes, so we know those had to take place after Sonic & Sally.

In Sonic & Sally they blew up a SWAT-bot factory, not a power station. In Sonic Racer they blew up the main generator at the start of the episode, then used Robotnik's race/trap as a diversion while Sally, Bunny, and Antoine took out the backup generator. They then proceeded to go home and completely fail to take advantage of the fact that Robotropolis had no power.

It's too bad we don't have the production numbers or we'd know the order they're supposed to go in.

According to Wiki, we do...well, we used to. Last month someone changed them based on what's on TV.com, which is probably wrong. The old page I linked there has the order the episodes were listed in on this very site back in 2004, when all we had was those horrible old .rm files.

Do we have any episode concept art from Season 1? Most of that had episode numbers in this format. #238 was the show's production number; the second number indicates the season and episode. Numbers in the 300s were from season 2, 200s were season 1, 100s were the Pilot, and I think 000 numbers were pre-pilot stuff. In this case, this is the hanger the Shriekbot was in during the opening of Sonic Conversion, Season 2 episode 2.

This small sense of continuity leads me to believe that the character Kat in "Sonic Boom" was originally intended to be Uncle Chuck. I mean, think about it: they're both elderly Freedom Fighters, voiced by William Windom, that sacrificed themselves in order to save the others. Heck, the implication towards the end of the episode suggests that Kat was taken away to be roboticized. Had it been Uncle Chuck in the role, this could've been the perfect introductory episode for him.

Nah, you're reading too much into it. Chuck was given as already being Roboticized back in the pilot and even the series bible if I'm not mistaken.

#6 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

Nah, you're reading too much into it. Chuck was given as already being Roboticized back in the pilot and even the series bible if I'm not mistaken.

I don't consider the pilot episode canon, due to it not adding up with the rest of the series. And the series' bible doesn't fit either, for obvious reasons.

We know that Sub-Sonic has to come before Hooked on Sonics. In Sub-Sonic it's stated that a ring generates every 12 hours, but in Hooked on Sonics it's 24. We can logically assume that breaking off half of the power stone and giving it to Griff reduced the ring generator's output by half.

Interesting observation.

#7 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Crap, not Sub-Sonic; the episode with Griff is Warp Sonic. Sub-Sonic is the one with the underground oil lake. I always get those two mixed up.

I don't consider the pilot episode canon, due to it not adding up with the rest of the series. And the series' bible doesn't fit either, for obvious reasons.

I agree, but if we're talking about what Len Janson originally intended when he was writing Sonic Boom then I don't think it could've crossed his mind to have Uncle Chuck getting roboticized. He was the one who wrote the bible and the pilot, and was responsible for keeping things consistent between all the writers during the first season. He knew that Chuck was already roboticized - he was the one who'd decided that in the first place.

#8 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

I agree, but if we're talking about what Len Janson originally intended when he was writing Sonic Boom then I don't think it could've crossed his mind to have Uncle Chuck getting roboticized. He was the one who wrote the bible and the pilot, and was responsible for keeping things consistent between all the writers during the first season. He knew that Chuck was already roboticized - he was the one who'd decided that in the first place.

I suspect he was forced to change it. I mean, the first season was basically a testing-ground for potential writers to show-off their skills. When production for the second season began, they chose the best writer of the previous season to take charge and direct the story from that point onward (in this case, Ben Hurst & Pat Allee). Perhaps due to this, Janson was required to drop Chuck from the original episode and replace him with another character.

#9 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

When production for the second season began, they chose the best writer of the previous season to take charge and direct the story from that point onward (in this case, Ben Hurst & Pat Allee).

By 'they' you actually mean Janson. He wasn't one of the writers from the cattle call; he was running the show from the start. He was the one who approached Ben and Pat and asked if they wanted to be the exclusive writers for Season 2. And since he had decided months before the start of Season 1 that Chuck was already roboticized, it would make no sense for him to change his mind and then at the last minute decided against it and hobble together a one-off character to fill the place in the already-written story that had been intended for a central character. He was a much better writer than that.

#10 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

I dunno. The character of Kat still seems way too similar to Uncle Chuck to be a coincidence.

Plus, it wouldn't have been the first time Janson tried changing something which he created. From what I recall, he didn't like Rotor and tried dropping him from the series. This would explain his reduced role in the 2nd season.

#11 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Didn't like Rotor? Now that's just madness.

#12 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

Didn't like Rotor? Now that's just madness.

It had something to do with his personality. I guess he found him boring or unappealing.

Makes me wonder what he would think of the modern Rotor.

#13 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

I personally didn't like Sonic. Yeah. ...Mind blown

#14 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

I think they agreed with you to some extent, because they did tone down Sonic's narcasistic egomania noticably in season 2.

#15 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

I'm kind of the same way. The Satam version of Sonic is the only version of the character that I really like.

#16 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'm kind of the same way. The Satam version of Sonic is the only version of the character that I really like.

I think he's referring to the SatAM version.

And honestly, I can't blame him. While nowhere near as annoying as his AoStH incarnation, he was admittedly still obnoxious, irritable, and kinda dickish. If it weren't for his kindheartedness, he'd probably be as annoying as Antoine.

I guess that's partially why I enjoy the StC incarnation; it's almost like a satire of the American Sonic.

#17 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

Well I loved Satam.  I mean awesome show...And amazing characters.   But yeah Sonic was..Well kinda a dick and rather annoying.   Of course he was nice, saved people, yadda yadda.  And I agree part of him is being arrogant.  But at times...Arrogant came across as just annoying. 

#18 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Well I loved Satam.  I mean awesome show...And amazing characters.   But yeah Sonic was..Well kinda a dick and rather annoying.   Of course he was nice, saved people, yadda yadda.  And I agree part of him is being arrogant.  But at times...Arrogant came across as just annoying. 

He probably would have gotten character development in the third season had it been produced.

#19 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,637 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:56 PM

Well I loved Satam. I mean awesome show...And amazing characters. But yeah Sonic was..Well kinda a dick and rather annoying. Of course he was nice, saved people, yadda yadda. And I agree part of him is being arrogant. But at times...Arrogant came across as just annoying.

He probably would have gotten character development in the third season had it been produced.
Possibly, but that doesn't excuse Sonic, the character with the most screen time, from being a total troll, and actually being the least likeable of the main cast.

#20 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Sega of America probably dictated Sonic's personality to some extent. I'm not sure DiC would have had the freedom to develop Sonic's character.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SatAM, episode, timeline, chronology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users