Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

@  Wulfsbane : (10 August 2019 - 05:27 AM)

I've been busy with work. A lot of OT recently

@  Shadow : (09 August 2019 - 01:06 AM)

I just don't have much to say.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

I must be a very loud person.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM)

On a different note. I've been using my phone to visit FUS for so long that I haven't used the Shoutbox in about a year. Still top Shouter somehow.

@  RedAuthar : (07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Fixed it. If you use the full editor on a shout you can link the Video using text.

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

though interesting fact...Kef is working on new forum software!

@  chief : (31 July 2019 - 07:00 PM)

It breaks it....

Photo

National Student Walkouts

Protests School Gun control Mass shooting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GeekySonic

GeekySonic

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

So, I think by now most people have heard of the school shooting in Florida. A "New Valentine's Day Massacre" I've heard it referred to as. And I'm sure people are also aware of the survivors of that shooting moving to take political action to restrict gun laws in the US. One of several ways they are doing this is by organizing national school walkouts.

I feel like I may be in the minority on this website, but I am in high school right now. Hearing about this kind of movement stirred me, I suppose. But for a couple days I was only on the fence. I didn't, and somewhat still don't know if it's the correct course of action, or if it will have a positive impact. But this morning, I saw a horrendous tweet from a man named Dinesh D'Souza mocking the survivors, degrading and belittling them by basically saying that they are children, their voices and thoughts matter for nothing, and they should not be taken seriously.

That ticked me off. Dinesh, who apparently is someone of some relevance these days, joked that the students not getting the change they wanted in gun control was the equivalent of them being told to get summer jobs.

I've been working since I was 14. I've worked as a farmhand, a landscaper, a grocery bagger, a janitor, and an actor. I spent my sophomore year in high school homeless. I help provide for my family. My brother and dad don't gave licenses, so I drive them to college and work respectively. We are not living comfortably.

Okay, I admit, that really touched a nerve. But honestly, how can someone be so callous and detached from reality? You know, I can be irrational sometimes. I try not to be, but I'm still growing, and I still got plenty of screwups left in me. But that was the last straw.

The school walkout I'm following is happening on 4/20/18. I don't know how many students at my school will, if any at all, but I'm joining the protest. I don't really know of much else I can do to make a point.

#2 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Well its a good show of how a population feels.  And wants more gun control.   

I think the biggest issue is...Well...Media...And people who think gun control is a gun ban.   I'm not American so this does not directly affect me...BUT it does in a indirect way. 

Gun control..Would be more background checks...Limited magazine size...that sort of thing.   Like here in Canada.  At 19 i had to take a 2 day course..Go through a RCMP check, and even a more thorough check to get my restricted licence.    I have to re go those RCMP checks I believe every 5 years...Maybe 4.

That stuff I believe in.   You dont need a 30-50 round magazine.  In Canada you get a 5 round.  Thats it.  And thats plenty for a hunter or a sport shooter. 

Banning certain weapons doesn't make much sense to me.   The media etc calls these high powered assault weapons.   The AR shoots a .223.  Its not high powered by any means.   My 30od6 I use for hunting is far more powerful.    And if you want you can get one as a semi as well.  Though semi automatics can be a pain in the ass (I prefer a bolt)   by limiting your magazine to say 5...Well...Would mean a heck of a lot of reloading for any shooter.

There is nothing wrong with the AR15 by its self.  It shoots a small shell (Not high powered as you always hear)  and is just a fancy looking semi auto.    You take its magazine down to 5, you go through background checks and a training course or what not... And you start to find solutions to these problems.   Without taking away the rifle.

Thats just my thought on all this anyways.   Cause there is some blow back here in Canada where people are saying these high powered rifles should be banned...And I keep saying that my normal rifle is far more powerful then any of these guns they name off.  And totally legal in semi auto.  Just they arent black and have no evil looking pistol grip. 

#3 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,563 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

Here's the thing everyone is glossing over: The FBI failed to do their jobs, twice. They had received two tips, the most recent being on January 5th, that this monster was going to shoot up the school. Students and facility noted that this kid was going to do it when he got expelled. This kid had behavior problems for long time and the school and parents did everything they could to help him. The FBI and Sheriff's department did not. In fact, there were FOUR deputies outside the school, including the armed one that was there already, that refused to go in.

No one with the proper authority did anything to prevent this. That's the key issue.

All the FBI needed to do was to go in with a warrant, which would have been easy to obtain due to the evidence against him, charge him with "conspiracy to commit" and legally the FBI would have been able to seize the weapons he had obtained and this would have been prevented. But again, they failed to do the jobs they were sworn to do.

That being said, this whole "ban the AR-15" thing is rather asinine. As chief has pointed out you can get a few higher powered rifles and hell I believe in the US you can still get semi-auto AKs. You can get a rifle that hold the same .223LR round the AR-15 does with the same ammo capacity and the same functionality as the AR-15 but it looks like your average hunting rifle. It's the appearance that kinda does the AR in. Another thing too, if you ban the AR, you just banned America's most popular home defense weapon and America's most popular hunting rifle. Banning weapons can, and as history can attest, will lead to a slippery slope (just look up the Soviet Union and more recently Venezuela.) Also I want to point out that CNN's "Town Hall" the other night had scripted questions used to push their agenda and make the NRA, Sen. Rubio, and others look bad. Hell the Sheriff himself, who knew his deputies failed to do their jobs and waited for another department to go in, went along to pass the buck off to someone else.

My issue is this: this kid has been plastered all over the place by the media. He's getting his 15 minutes in for being a monster and causing harm to the community: WHY? We're unintentionally (or intentionally, I don't know anymore) making these mass shooters celebrities for a short period of time. Hell everyone talked about the Vegas shooter for weeks, same with Pulse (until it was revealed they were jihadist then it went quiet), same with Sandy Hook, etc. If we focused on other aspects such as the heroes and victims, it wouldn't look as glamorous as it does now. Conservative news site The Daily Wire is doing just that.

Now what can we do to prevent this? Well, I'm in favor of having either teachers, police officers, or retired servicemen work at the schools as armed guards. Hell a survivor of the Columbine Shooting wants to end the gun-free zones in schools. Florida wants to do the same. I mean we just about protect every other major thing like government buildings, banks, airports, etc. with armed guards, why not schools? Is this the perfect answer? No it's not but I believe it would be a step in the right direction. I am a firm believer in the saying "An armed society is a polite society." We need to also get serious with mental health issues in the US. I know this is a tricky issue to tackle, primarily due to the fact admitting that you need help is very difficult to do. Getting help isn't as bad though, it's getting over the admitting hurdle. If people can see where/when people are hurting, they might be able to help out and maybe prevent something like this from happening. It could have prevented aforementioned shootings. Background checks could probably be refined a bit, I know it's different in every state (my state is rather difficult but comprehensive) but it may need an update.

Also you might want to know more about the 'founder' of the March for Our Lives movement. He sounds like someone who can't accept others have a different opinion and will resort to violence to 'defeat' opinions that are against his.

Edited by Uncle Ben, 25 February 2018 - 11:03 AM.
Added more information.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users