Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Sunnyfruit : (17 June 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Woah. I'd pay even more.

@  chief : (16 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

I just spent way too much money for paper with words written on it

https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

@  Wulfsbane : (15 June 2019 - 06:12 PM)

As long as it wasnt GSW or Lebron...

@  Shadow : (13 June 2019 - 09:34 PM)

The Raptors won the NBA!

@  Sunnyfruit : (12 June 2019 - 02:44 PM)

Uh... I like video games too, but this is too much

@  GamemasterAn... : (12 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

...and everyone is freaking out over that reveal. Dear Gaia...the reaction of the people at the Nintendo Center in NYC. People were actually HUGGING each other over that reveal!

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:46 PM)

Banjo-Kazooie is coming home, lads

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:17 AM)

The E3 Nintendo Direct starts in 45 minutes

@  chief : (10 June 2019 - 07:30 PM)

Oh we have controversial topic forum..Those have always existed. And I'm for that. Just keep personal user to user shit off the forums.

the Controversial topic thing would fall under "debate" now I guess. I had some good times in those forums with a few members.

@  chief : (10 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

Yeah....I saw that...Blew game 6

@  Wulfsbane : (09 June 2019 - 07:35 PM)

Hey chief, we got a Game 7 on Wednesday

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 June 2019 - 09:28 AM)

Not really pressed about it, so it's no biggie to me. I'm only here for the S3 comic at this point, and maybe continuing to post mine. It's just too dead around here, and people are either too lazy, too occupied, or too afraid to share opinions as if words from feedback or response are going to hop out of the screen and attack them or something.

I'm an old ass man.... :(

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 June 2019 - 09:19 AM)

They generally don't last long on forums where management isn't objective about running a forum. People generally don't have the restrain/discipline to not mod it. Someone's going to catch feelings, disregarding the thousand disclaimers on the front post of the section and still hit up the admins whining about the hurty things that mean man x said to them. And the admins will feel obliged to do something about it, when ignoring it is definitely an option.

Again, generally speaking, people want the good of things and not the bad or the drawbacks that come with it. It's why facebook and twitter have like buttons, but no dislike button. It's why youtube demonitizes wrongspeak. It's why forums ban people for private disputes between members despite the fact that there's every tool under the sun to stop a person from bothering them available to users. It's anti hate speech is considered a thing to uphold, when hate speech is free speech, no exceptions. It's why politics are a mess. For society, the message is clear, whine until you get your way, and the lowest common denominator being as loud as they are will set the precedent for everyone else despite able bodies. For all this acting like adults thing that society pushes, society at large doesn't expect anyone to actually BE one.

@  Shadow : (09 June 2019 - 07:56 AM)

Didn't we have a controversial/rant rave section of the forum at one point

@  chief : (08 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

Lets try to keep any personal issues out of the shoutbox. Or forums all together.

@  ShenFNWoo : (07 June 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Nothing much. Just wanted to make sure a certain person didn't get the wrong idea about how it is between us. I don't forget certain details, and things don't change no matter how much time passes unless they show some willingness to want to fix things.

@  furrykef : (07 June 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have no idea what's going on here.

@  ShenFNWoo : (07 June 2019 - 09:58 AM)

This will be my first time (without accident) speaking to you directly, so I want to make this perfectly clear: I have a strict policy on how to deal with people who block others without sufficient reason (aka running away from a zero conflict situation). We do not talk, we do not exchange ideas, and you are invisible to me possibly forever, depending on you. Communications with you in particular will reopen at a future time equivalent to the amount of time in which you've had me blocked thus far. In the mean time, I'll add you to my foe list, and/or manually disregard everything you say to me. Cheers! ^_^

@  Wulfsbane : (07 June 2019 - 06:24 AM)

They're pretty rabid

@  Wulfsbane : (07 June 2019 - 06:24 AM)

I mean have you seen some of his defenders?

Photo

Freedom Fighters Not Allowed In Idw Series

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

According to Ian Flynn, Sega of Japan is preventing IDW from using any characters from the TV shows (including, obviously, the Freedom Fighters.)  Apparently Archie was allowed to keep using them because of the old contracts.

Doesn't sound like this is anything specifically against the Western continuities; I take it this also applies to the OVA and Sonic X.

#2 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

I'm going back to what I have said previously: If the FF weren't going to be in, they would have said something a long time ago. They've repeatedly said the door's still open to them appearing.

The question asked in this seemed to be relating to Underground/X/OVA more than anything. The FF are an odd exception

Still irritates me that SoJ refuses to acknowledge previous incantations of Sonic.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#3 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:30 AM

Welp, no comics for me unless Ian succeeds at pretending they are new OCs or something.

#4 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Meh. I don't read the new IDW comics anyway.

And I knew the FF won't be coming back because of new rules from Sega.

Things change and we must try to get used to it. At least the FF still have the fanbase.

#5 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,523 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

That's the hard truth unfortunately. Who knows though, maybe something will change, maybe not. Honestly doesn't change what we do here, right?

#6 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

Well, at least we have this: http://archiesoniconline.com/

It may be fan comic, but it looks kinda real :)

#7 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,523 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:14 PM

It's actually pretty good thus far.  

#8 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

KSwTKIn.png

#9 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

I was afraid of that. 

#10 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

KSwTKIn.png

Sooooo…. hypocrisy, then.

#11 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

Welp, no comics for me unless Ian succeeds at pretending they are new OCs or something.

I don't really understand that stigma. I mean, I like the SatAM/Archie cast as well, but are they really that necessary for the franchise?

Honestly, I think the official cast itself has the potential to be really engaging; but because of SEGA's reckless way of doing things, they've never quite reached that point. But if done right, they could be just as charming as the Freedom Fighters.

#12 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

I don't really understand that stigma. I mean, I like the SatAM/Archie cast as well, but are they really that necessary for the franchise?

Honestly, I think the official cast itself has the potential to be really engaging; but because of SEGA's reckless way of doing things, they've never quite reached that point. But if done right, they could be just as charming as the Freedom Fighters.

I mean I think part of it is that they're an established set of characters that could just about seamlessly be added into this world and give it a boost in terms of worldbuilding an recognition.

Unfortunately for the main cast, it would be hard for them to become charming because of Sega's meddling. Yeah Amy is kinda the exception but a lot of it seems to be accross the board and not what Ian had odne

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#13 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:47 AM

To me, yes. But there might be a misunderstanding so I just want to clarify one thing. Freedom Fighters or not, if there was an official Sonic manga, I'd buy it.

I liked SatAM because it was so different from the average cartoon back when I was a child. But Ian's writing and these new characters feel like one of those boring average cartoons you were forced to watch while waiting for Pokémon, Yu-gi-Oh or Dragon Ball. I don't feel risk, character evolution or anything. I liked the Ian take on Penders mess because Penders added that chaos that made the story feel fresh. But even then, except only for Scourge and Fiona, I felt no tension nor evolution. Resolutions come too quick for the buildup to be taken seriously. Everyone talks a lot about that moment where Robotnik destroyed Knothole, only to be trashed Looney-Tunes style. Same for the Egg Tarentula, no pressure, no struggle for the main character, just a mix of trolling and pity. The comics likes to pretend it has that epic vibe but its feet are not leaving the floor, and the endless flood of marketing superlatives ("fan-favorite new characters", blahblah when everything is awesome nothing really is) makes it even worse. Yeah I know, children love it that way because it's a children's cartoon, except they don't. Back when I was 9, and still today, I'll take gritty shonen over childrens-cartoon any time of the day.

As for the Freedom Fighters, I like them because the main cast has no synergy. With the FFs, you have an active duo, Sonic and Sally, with complementary strengths and weaknesses, and characters supporting them in various ways. In comparison, nobody knows why Knuckles is not guarding the Master Emerald, he went from Piccolo to goofy meme. Amy is annoying and her hammer is a joke, Eggman changes personnality every iteration even though he's supposed to represent the force directly opposing the hero and what he stands for. And god the Chaotix are awful shoehorned fanfiction characters. The Sonic Boom cast wasn't the best but it had synergy, and that was from people who obviously only knew Sonic through the memes.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Toei landed the perfect tone and plot. An Eggman which IS dangerous and menacing but at the same time ankward and charming (not a slapstick joke like the Mania cultists pretend nor a dark and edgy caricature of SatAM), a direct plot with concise worldbuilding that actually matter, an emphasis on the determination of the hero and his friends instead of how heroic they are, a struggle which is not 95% buildup 5% OHKO. Sadly it will never happen again, and certainly not with IDW

#14 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

It's actually pretty good thus far.  

I'm glad you like it. And guys, even if the FF aren't coming back in the comics again.. then keep reading this Archie Sonic Online. It may not be cannon, but it felt kinda real. :)

Well, Sega of Japan they always want to do their own way by their own rules. But get this: Naoto Ohshima (Who made Sonic's original design) and some people from SoJ are actually the fans of the Freedom Fighters:  https://twitter.com/...785251062976512

But the main problem is.. that the main guys of SoJ (Including the president of SoJ) dislike the FF and they want to continue with the modern Sonic in mainstream games. At least there are some supporters from SoJ, too bad they're not the main guys. :(

#15 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

I liked SatAM because it was so different from the average cartoon back when I was a child. But Ian's writing and these new characters feel like one of those boring average cartoons you were forced to watch while waiting for Pokémon, Yu-gi-Oh or Dragon Ball. I don't feel risk, character evolution or anything. I liked the Ian take on Penders mess because Penders added that chaos that made the story feel fresh. But even then, except only for Scourge and Fiona, I felt no tension nor evolution. Resolutions come too quick for the buildup to be taken seriously. Everyone talks a lot about that moment where Robotnik destroyed Knothole, only to be trashed Looney-Tunes style. Same for the Egg Tarentula, no pressure, no struggle for the main character, just a mix of trolling and pity. The comics likes to pretend it has that epic vibe but its feet are not leaving the floor, and the endless flood of marketing superlatives ("fan-favorite new characters", blahblah when everything is awesome nothing really is) makes it even worse. Yeah I know, children love it that way because it's a children's cartoon, except they don't. Back when I was 9, and still today, I'll take gritty shonen over childrens-cartoon any time of the day.

Well, that's honestly more of an issue with how Sonic himself is generally portrayed - the longer he continues to put up the fight, the more powerful he ultimately becomes before eventually, the usual threat is no longer a concern and a newer, more powerful threat assumes its position. And the cycle repeats.

Heck, that's actually a frequent problem with most shonen anime. If anything, I think the Sonic series ought to step away from the shonen narrative just to make the series interesting again.

As for the Freedom Fighters, I like them because the main cast has no synergy. With the FFs, you have an active duo, Sonic and Sally, with complementary strengths and weaknesses, and characters supporting them in various ways. In comparison, nobody knows why Knuckles is not guarding the Master Emerald, he went from Piccolo to goofy meme. Amy is annoying and her hammer is a joke, Eggman changes personnality every iteration even though he's supposed to represent the force directly opposing the hero and what he stands for. And god the Chaotix are awful shoehorned fanfiction characters. The Sonic Boom cast wasn't the best but it had synergy, and that was from people who obviously only knew Sonic through the memes.

Actually, many of the writers of "Boom" were casual fans of the franchise, but the direction they took the series in was more heavily inspired by "The Simpsons".

Anyhow, to be honest, I think the energy displayed by the characters really depends on the characters they're paired up with. For dynamics to have energy, I think there needs to be some friction. For instance, when Sonic is paired with Sally, their contrasting ideologies makes for an interesting dynamic - especially in situations where one proves useful over the other. But when Sally is paired with Antoine, it tends to be pretty dull and dry because they're often on the same fence in terms of philosophy. Likewise, Sonic being best buddies with Knuckles is also kinda dull - their usual banter is much more interesting when Knuckles is the rock to Sonic's wind; the opposite to Sonic's carefree, boundless lifestyle.

That's not to say none of them can't be friends, but there does need to be some contrast between them. Like, Tails is a mechanic prodigy while Sonic seems almost clueless to his technical know-how, but they form a close bond because Tails tends to lack faith in himself and Sonic is sort of a role model for him while Sonic seems to show genuine sympathy towards him (possibly because they're both misfits). With Sally, she's a tactician and a diplomat, but it's her need to show off her capabilities that attract Sonic to her - being the braggart he is, he can't ignore the competition. And with Amy (at least in the "Boom" series), she's bossy and highly professionalist while Sonic is lazy and tactless, but it's their inclination for helping others and moments of genuine honesty that brings them closer.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Toei landed the perfect tone and plot. An Eggman which IS dangerous and menacing but at the same time ankward and charming (not a slapstick joke like the Mania cultists pretend nor a dark and edgy caricature of SatAM), a direct plot with concise worldbuilding that actually matter, an emphasis on the determination of the hero and his friends instead of how heroic they are, a struggle which is not 95% buildup 5% OHKO. Sadly it will never happen again, and certainly not with IDW

Uh... What exactly is this Toei you speak of?

The only Toei production of Sonic that I'm aware of is the opening cutscene of "Sonic CD", yet I doubt that's what you're referring to.

#16 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Actually, many of the writers of "Boom" were casual fans of the franchise, but the direction they took the series in was more heavily inspired by "The Simpsons".

That's funny. Sonic Boom didn't feel like the Simpsons. In fact, it was way too family-friendly to be anything like the Simpsons.

#17 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:48 AM

That's funny. Sonic Boom didn't feel like the Simpsons. In fact, it was way too family-friendly to be anything like the Simpsons.

Really? Granted, I doubt we would've gotten more adult-oriented jokes in a Sonic show. But aside from the writers themselves confirming the influence (having worked on both shows), I myself picked up numerous vibes of that show's humor in "Boom" - from the mean-spirited depiction of the townsfolk and their satirical jabs at society to even Comedy Chimp essentially serving as the show's equivalent of Krusty the Clown.

#18 Sunnyfruit

Sunnyfruit

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

Uh... What exactly is this Toei you speak of?

The only Toei production of Sonic that I'm aware of is the opening cutscene of "Sonic CD", yet I doubt that's what you're referring to.

I was talking about the OVA:

Agree with the pairing stuff

As for power escalation, it's not so much a problem of shonen than one of writing skill. Despite what people say, Dragon Ball never had a problem with power escalation because the main theme shifted in every arc, something many shonen manga (and whoever is in charge of the Sonic franchise) failed to do. In fact, power creep or not, the storyline of Sonic was always about a coming of age, so anyway the cast of characters and list of Sonic's exploits is doomed to inflate more and more until reboot. Iizuka's reaction is to just stop Sonic's evolution and make the series as dull as possible, while in the same time try to turn it into Mario with no extended universe, spinoff licenses nor memorable gameplay. (And even if he did, why would people care about some pale imitation). I would have said, keep it as shonen as possible, but go make separate franchises (Knuckles games, Tails games, Chaotix games, Eggman games just like back in the 90s or even the early 00s) for each character to grow and get more recognition while in the same time make the franchise its own independent thing instead of trying to stick it on the Nintendoverse's butt. But then there's the incredibly stupid idea to make Classic/Modern universes with exclusive characters to each, as if parallel franchises' goal was not to enrich the universe to begin with.

#19 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

I was talking about the OVA:

Oh, I see.

Well, to be fair, the OVA wasn't produced by Toei Animation. Rather, it was Studio Pierrot - the guys behind the animation of "Yu Yu Hakusho", "Bleach", and "Naruto".

#20 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

Except Naruto's animation is....

w9qfOKC.gif?noredirect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users