Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

Star Wars Episode Vii Discussion

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

*Buying tickets*

#22 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Here are some pics of the new and improved storm troopers and ships for the movie.

CXzH9TR.jpg

lnWK4iA.jpg

04aLJQD.jpg

v33WiVR.jpg

dcNyVbU.jpg

LRZssyq.jpg

wElt8hV.jpg

#23 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

Why does the first guy look so different?

#24 Prime

Prime

Shuffle up the Wildcards! And deal 'em!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Well I gotta admit, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing new Star Wars for the first time since 1999 and I think the major factor in that is George Lucas isn't involved.

Lucas gets way too much credit for "creating" Star Wars but during the original trilogy there were plenty of people who helped shape and create those movies that we know and love today. People like his producer Gary Kurtz convincing George to include the Death Star at the end of the first movie to give it something huge and memorable, his editor who helped put the movie together after the first cut of the movie was supposedly terrible. Yeah he created the universe, but he doesn't deserve all the credit he gets. Just look at The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, the two movies he didn't direct and didn't solely write himself, he had screenwriters help with the stories for those two.

And it's a shame that Lucas would start downward spiral with Return of the Jedi by enforcing more of his creative control. No I don't mean the Ewoks (but seriously, fuck Ewoks) I mean the little things he changed to ensure the movie would be a fun little adventure the whole family would enjoy. Things like getting rid of the original plan to kill Han Solo because "kids wouldn't want to play with a dead Han Solo figure" or the original ending which would have had Luke take Vader's helmet off, put it on himself and say "Now I am Darth Vader". Can you imagine the backlash to that happening? People would flip their shit but DAMN would it have been epic and totally unexpected. Would have kind of fitted with the whole film as well, Luke spends the entire movie wearing all black (always a Sith color of choice) and originally (before it was cut at the 11th hour) when we would see him for the first time, he was to besitting in a cave making his new lightsaber while Vader reaches out to him with the force, his face is covered by his cloak. We be tricked into thinking Luke would always be a Jedi and never go to the Dark Side and them BAM! Follows in daddy's footsteps.

And then things only got worse with the prequels. I know the prequels have their fans and that they introduced Star Wars to a whole new generation and if you like them that's cool. I personally don't. And the huge factor in that is at that point, Lucas was now large and in charge. He controlled everything in those movies because he was the writer, the director and the producer. Dude surrounded himself with "yes men" who wouldn't dare speak up against any of his ideas and it felt like the man didn't even bother going back to the original trilogy and take notes of things because the prequels retcon a lot of stuff from the original trilogy. Things like having Obi-Wan say he and Anakin were good friends in Episode IV, but then showing nothing of the sort really in the prequels, they spend most of the time bitching at each other and Anakin gets butthurt about Obi-Wan at one point.

And it also felt like the original trilogy era was being ignored since the prequels began because on top of the three prequel movies, there was also all the Clone Wars stuff as well, the two seperate shows and that one movie. All this stuff while Lucas was still in charge of the franchise. And I know the shows handled the characters better then the movies did, but seriously, it's hard to get behind a character like Anakin and actually like him when the movies make him an annoying, whiny bitch for the most part and then turn him into a violent killer who murders children. Yeah I get Vader is meant to be the ultimate badass, but did we really need to know he murdered a bunch of kids?

See, that's why I'm excited for Disney having taken over the franchise, it's going to breath new life into it. And they already have. Star Wars: Rebels has been a fun show. I love the idea that we have a new Star Wars show that doesn't need to focus on movie characters. The main cast of Rebels are all new and that's a good thing, the Star Wars universe is huge, so many different ways to explore it. And I don't mind characters from the movies or Clone Wars popping in now and then because honestly it is to be expected.

And another thing I am glad about is that Episode VII is not following the EU stuff at all. I can see why fans are raging about this, but really? Whenever it comes to things like this, say you have a movie series and then it is has a bunch of spin-off material, like cartoons, comics, novels and so on, does that spin-off material really count as canon? I mean, Lucas said that the story ended with Return of the Jedi (which is bullshit really because that man always changes his mind) and while post-ROTJ material always needed to be approved by Lucas and/or Lucasfilm, the same can be said about everything and anything, be it pre-ANH spin-off material or even things like Shadows of the Empire, the Ewok movies and cartoon show, that Droids animated series. Droids and the Ewoks cartoon and TV movies were productions of LucasFilms Ltd. but were they ever considered canon? Just because they approved it does that make any of the EU canon?

I mean, 20th Century FOX had to approve all those Aliens comics Dark Horse did, and in 1988 they had a series which focused on Newt who was now an young adult and Hicks suffer from PTSD set some years after Aliens. But then when Alien3 rolled around and killed those characters Dark Horse had to retcon the two characters from their comic and rename them.

And think of it this way. Star Wars isn't just for the fans, there's going to be plenty of people out there who like those movies but have never heard of the EU stuff, so if you tie Episode VII to the EU, you've got to explain all that material to the audiences and it would probably confuse the shit out of them. Plus you would need to go through years and years of already written material to make sure you don't make something that conflicts with the EU which is a major headache. Yeah you could just adapt stories from the EU and make them into movies, but that is just lazy. It makes more sense to disregard it and not let the creative people behind the new movies, TV shows and anything else that is now officially canon be tied down to it. But at the same time, they have said elements of the EU will be appearing in his new continuity, I mean they already revealed that R6 astromechs will appear in the movies, and even the special editions and the prequels had nods to the EU.

'Star Wars' is my story, just like my house is my house. So if I wanna paint my house green, even if everyone else thinks it should be red, guess what? I'm gonna paint it Jar Jar! - George Lucas

"The Devil Inside is the new scam from director William Something Something. The movie stars actors and was edited on a computer. Somewhere. This movie is the latest film in a series of very low budget films designed to look like real movies! And be released in theaters to make a quick buck via a horribly off kilter budget to profit ratio that the general public seem to be stupidly unaware of! These films use to be called 'direct to video' but now they are called 'first run features'. These films then vanish from the theaters, like a rapist leaving the scene of a crime." - Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia

#25 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Honestly, I can't stand the Star Wars fanbase. And this is coming from a fan of the series.

I mean, they're whiny and annoying, they hold onto their anger, reject change, refuse to let go of anything...

Wait a minute. This sounds awfully familiar...

#26 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

You mean every fanbase on Earth?

Oh, oh, Sonic joke, right. Right, sure.
image.jpg

#27 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

Actually, I was thinking of Anakin Skywalker.

#28 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

Actually, I was thinking of Anakin Skywalker.

Badum-tish

#29 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:31 PM

The prequels should have never been about Anakin Skywalker. It should have been the adventures of Obi Wan getting into trouble.

#30 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

star-wars-force-awakens-official-poster.
image.jpg

#31 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

#32 Robthe1st

Robthe1st

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

I saw the movie last night. I won't write a review about it, but I'll give it a rating: 10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

#33 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

I saw it twice. My spoiler free score is 9.5/10. Loved it more the second time around after I could digest everything going on. Absalutely better than the prequils and I agree with people that this movie is on par with Return of the Jedi, but episode 4 and 5 are still better. That being said, I want more.

Lots more.

I can't wait for Rouge One next year.

------jNz0y5.jpg<-(Retired)
button_art_editor_aso_by_timjcampbell-db

#34 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

As a long time fan of the old Expanded Universe (or Legends as it is now called) I have conflicted feelings about the movie.

I mean I like the movie.  I like the characters, the direction it seems to be headed, but it would be kinda like if Archie suddenly retconned Sonic and brushed a lot of characters and adventures under the rug like they never happened......

....wait a minute.....

#35 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

I thought the movie was just okay.

I think Rei or Rai or whatever her name is was the worst thing in the entire film.

#36 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

*SPOILER HEAVY POST*

Misk, you're gonna be in the major minority in that odd opinion that you seem to have about Rey. Rey was one of the best parts of that film. Her acting was fabulous, her character is superbly interesting, different, richly deep, pairs perfectly with Flin, I care a heck of a lot what happens to her, and I cannot wait to see where her story goes. There is...absalutely nothing wrong with her, Rey's awesome. She's the perfect protagonist hero for this new Star Wars trilogy.

As for the movie itself, 95% on rotten tomatoes should maybe give you pause to that assumption. The universe has just been opened up super wide to this incredible story. If you think it's 'just okay,' you're not reading far enough into the subtext. There is a LOT of subtext in this movie, which is a heck of a lot more awesomeness happening here than what the prequils ever delivered. It's a daring movie with a smart vision and a fabulous cast of actors to potray it. THE SUBTEXT.

It has a few flaws. All movies have some flaws. Obvious cg Snoke is obvious. The positives overwhelmingly take the negatives though, by a thousand lightyears. The movie was so effective, I found myself welling up in emotion on many of the incredible emotional moments this film had. That moment when Flin revealed he was a Stormtrooper to Rey and why he was running......I almost cried both times I saw it.

And man is Mark Hamill going to rock the next film. His few seconds of screentime hit me like nothing else. I could read a thousand emotions on his face at once while he looked uppon that lightsaber and Rey. It was another incredible moment. He does not get enough credit for his acting. I cannot wait.

Red Authar, they established a long time ago these were going to continue as it's own canon seperate from the expanded universe. The expanded universe is like an alternate reality, the fun what if. This is Star Wars official now...and by golly, it is good. That's the difference between Archie and this. This Star Wars is actually amazingly good and worth the change.

It's not even like that, though, it's like Sonic Sat-AM coming back on air and changing what Archie did, and making an incredible story. That's a much better analogy. I'd take Sat-AM's take on things before the comic's...as long as it's good.

I understand, it's a lot to digest, guys. I wasn't sure myself the first time I saw it, but the second time just won me over once I could see where it's going. It's a deep, smart, daring film and I'm happy it exists.

#37 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:52 AM

Likewise spoiler-heavy post.

Spoiler

#38 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

*SPOILER HEAVY POST*

Red Authar, they established a long time ago these were going to continue as it's own canon seperate from the expanded universe. The expanded universe is like an alternate reality, the fun what if. This is Star Wars official now...and by golly, it is good. That's the difference between Archie and this. This Star Wars is actually amazingly good and worth the change.

It's not even like that, though, it's like Sonic Sat-AM coming back on air and changing what Archie did, and making an incredible story. That's a much better analogy. I'd take Sat-AM's take on things before the comic's...as long as it's good.

I understand, it's a lot to digest, guys. I wasn't sure myself the first time I saw it, but the second time just won me over once I could see where it's going. It's a deep, smart, daring film and I'm happy it exists.

Possibly equally spoiler response.  

Spoiler

#39 Tim J

Tim J

Tim "J" Campbell

• Sea3on Artist
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

Red Authar: No, no, it's not like that at all. Red, in the grand scheme of things, the original media rules the story source: in this case the episodic movies. You will always have the comics and books and Kotor and all of that. But now that we have a Star Wars series that's actually GOOD, like really good, it's our responsibility as Star Wars fans to get onboard for what may become the next legacy in the Star Wars cinema. For the sake of the movies, for the sake of not chaining them down and coming out with something forced and stupid, like LUCAS DID, like we've seen in many movies, this must be done.

You just have to get around to the mindset that these are direct continuations to the original films, not expansions.

#40 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

Red Authar: No, no, it's not like that at all. Red, in the grand scheme of things, the original media rules the story source: in this case the episodic movies. You will always have the comics and books and Kotor and all of that. But now that we have a Star Wars series that's actually GOOD, like really good, it's our responsibility as Star Wars fans to get onboard for what may become the next legacy in the Star Wars cinema. For the sake of the movies, for the sake of not chaining them down and coming out with something forced and stupid, like LUCAS DID, like we've seen in many movies, this must be done.

You just have to get around to the mindset that these are direct continuations to the original films, not expansions.

Any more than I have to get around that Sonic SatAM was canned, and the direction the Games have gone wouldn't support that story anymore?  

The Sonic games may not be as spectacular or as legendary as Star Wars is, but for every SatAM fan that there is, there's a non-SatAM fan that loves the franchise just as much.  For every Star Wars fan who loves the original trilogy there are those who love the prequels.  And for every fan who loves the new movie, there are those who still love the older universe that is no longer considered canon. 

My cousin pointed this out to me a few years ago.  Clone Wars was his Star Wars.  He didn't care about Luke, Han, or Darth Vader.  It wasn't that he didn't like those movies, but rather he was a younger child and to him, the Prequels were more his style.  But he was in that age group.  The older movies weren't his introduction to the series.  They had no nostalgia to blind him to them.  When he finally saw them, they weren't the Star Wars he had grown up with. 

I myself openly admit that I love Phantom Menace far more than Empire Strikes Back.  *Gasp*  As a child I hated Empire as it was darker and the villains technically won.  When I watched the movies, I would skip it, pretending it didn't happen.  But I was in 3rd grade when Phantom Menace came out.  Anakin was about my age.  He was far more relatable than Han or Luke were to me.  This was the first Star Wars movie I had seen in theaters.  My dad who saw the originals in theaters loves the movie too.  Telling me all the interesting things about it before he had taken me to see it.  As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate what Empire Strikes Back is.  I can honestly love the movie now.  But even then, if I had to pick between the two, Phantom Menace is the more entertaining movie to me.  I'll always pick that one over the other.

But the movies, while part of "my" Star Wars were not "my" Star Wars.  "My" Star Wars has always been the endless adventures of characters like Wedge Antilles, Darth Revan, Bo'Shek, Dengar, Galen Marek, Boss, Yoshi Raph-Elan, Tag and Bink, and the numerous Characters I've made in Old Republic Online.  "My" Star Wars isn't just a western in a science fiction setting like the Original Trilogy, but can be a fantasy, horror, comedy, or even a Transformers toy or Steam Punk Comic.  Star Wars has always been to me about the unlimited adventures the Galaxy has to offer with the characters I had grown to love in those many stories.  The EU never stopped the Infinities line, Old Republic never stopped the Legacy line, the Sequel trilogy stops it all.  

I can love Force Awakens but that doesn't mean I have to jump on it's band wagon while it undoes another Star Wars that I love.  No matter how good this legacy is, it isn't the one I followed for years.  The Sonic Boom cartoon is considered good, but I don't watch it.  I don't care much for it.  It isn't the Archie Comics or SatAM that I fell in love with.  I love the stupid convoluted plot of Sonic 06, and I think Sonic Generations is the worse thing that ever came out of SEGA that bears the Sonic name.  As a Star Wars fan, or a Sonic fan, regardless the quality of game, movie, comic, or whatever media that comes out next, I have no responsibility to support what undoes something I love.  The new movie does that, and as much as I enjoy it, it'll never live up to the universe I grew up with.

Fans want the Bebop and Rocksteady in Ninja Turtles, I want my Galen Marek, Darth Revan, and Grand Admiral Thrawn in my Star Wars.   

Long story short, If Disney and Star Wars would continue the Legends Line as well, there would be no problem.  It would be like Marvel vs Ultimate Marvel.  However they're not doing that.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users