Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Ishapar : (23 May 2019 - 12:27 PM)

I know I haven't been around for awhile, but what did I miss? You guys started a patreon for Season 3?

@  ShenFNWoo : (23 May 2019 - 06:42 AM)

Don't worry, I gotcha fam 8-)

@  ShenFNWoo : (23 May 2019 - 06:42 AM)

Or is what happened the reason why it's usually dead around here? Zoom view past the incoming thunderstorm to make out microscopic details on the surface of the moon, when there's plenty of opportunity to notice both?

@  ShenFNWoo : (23 May 2019 - 06:39 AM)

@Kef, I'm reading context clues. That's how I know you're not interested. I can feel the low key disrespect from orbit

https://youtu.be/5EVCTpWTwEU?t=225

@  nzoomed : (23 May 2019 - 02:17 AM)

@ furrykef Good pointing that out on the cel, i see what you mean after looking at the intro. Its very possible this was an early concept cel and was scrapped. Possible also that they had decided to give her more prominent robotic legs early in the characters design perhaps?

@  randomizer : (23 May 2019 - 02:17 AM)

Satam is full of animation errors. This is one of my favourites: https://i.imgur.com/aYo73nh.jpg

@  Shadow : (23 May 2019 - 02:04 AM)

Their was a lot of color problems if you ever pause the frames of episodes.

@  furrykef : (22 May 2019 - 10:02 PM)

Okay, I just had a real close look at the intro. Bunnie holds that pose for two frames. In the first, Sonic's in front of one thigh and the other thigh is colored correctly (gray). In the second frame, Sonic covers both thighs. But I looked real close and I noticed in the first frame you do get a glimpse of Bunnie's hidden thigh... and it's brown. So I think the gray thigh was a separate cel that was overlaid to correct the colors, or it was corrected in postproduction.

@  furrykef : (22 May 2019 - 09:37 PM)

I mean, this is DiC we're talking about. We've all seen what kind of stuff has slipped through the cracks in their cartoons...

@  furrykef : (22 May 2019 - 09:36 PM)

That doesn't necessarily mean the cel is fake, but it does make me wonder. Maybe this was an animation error that got caught before they put the show on the air.

@  furrykef : (22 May 2019 - 09:34 PM)

As for the Bunnie cel, her thighs are colored brown like her fur instead of the robotic gray. The issue is on both sides of the cel.

@  furrykef : (22 May 2019 - 09:32 PM)

When did I say I was not interested?

@  Shadow : (22 May 2019 - 09:16 PM)

I'm not interested in being any kind of moderator and would rather just be a casual person to chit chat on there.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 May 2019 - 07:25 PM)

I know most, if not all of us, will act like adults but with a public server there's gonna be people, whether it's teens or adults, that don't act like the way they should.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 May 2019 - 07:23 PM)

As for rules, I don't think they should be totally laxed, at least at the start. Not saying they should be strict either. Just have enough that could be eased once the rhythm and flow of the server is established and can see how things will go

@  Wulfsbane : (22 May 2019 - 07:22 PM)

I think chief should be the one to set up the discord. I mean if there's gonna be a FUS server, it might as well be admin'd by the guy who owns the place

@  ShenFNWoo : (22 May 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Kef's not interested.

@  Shadow : (22 May 2019 - 06:58 PM)

How about Kef be admin?

@  nzoomed : (22 May 2019 - 05:06 PM)

and a discord channel sounds awesome

@  nzoomed : (22 May 2019 - 05:02 PM)

@furrykef I cant see any thing wrong with her legs. Are you sure you are not looking at the photo of the reverse side of the cel?

Photo

Moving

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 FUS News Robot

FUS News Robot

Extra! Extra!

• Newsbot
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

As many of you know FUS costs a ton to run.  With life, other expenses, my dog blowing another ACL (cause that is only a 3 thousand dollar surgery..) and having a almost 7 year old daughter doesn't make things much cheaper either.   Also with the Canadian dollar dropping again (yes I am Canadian) paying a US server bill hurts.  I almost cried when I paid this month off.
Seeing as FUS really pulls in no money of its own besides the random donation here and there (and by one awesome guy who keeps tossing a bit my way each month..You know who you are) I just can't stay on the same server.    Which.. Really isn't a bad thing.. I just hate having to pull up the site and move it (by e I mean I have 2 guys Bakuda and Kef doing that for me) but still.  Horrible!

Anyways I'm pretty sure I have found a nice host that offers basically everything FUS needs plus still a bit of room to grow.  I'm still not fully sold, but basically.. Its going to happen.   The new host offers a bit less of a processor but I am hoping that won't make any noticeable difference to you guys.  I'm also still going to be keeping a VPS server configuration as there are a few sites that FUS members have and I'm just a nice guy who hosts those for free (You also know who you are)

As the move goes on (between now and end of the month) you guys should probably not notice a thing.  The only noticeable part will be the forum going down...And I'm hoping that it will only be down for a few hours at tops.  Just enough time to shut it down on this server, download, then re upload it.  And of course do a quick check to make sure nothing buggered up in the process (nothing ever goes smoothly)   I'll also be sure to give you guys a day or so warning on roughly when we will be shutting down.   Just so everyone knows whats what.

On other news...I know S3 has been down for...months.  But I did announce Sami as our new artist a while back.  Well where is that new page?!!!  Well chatted with her recently and she has been practicing hard on the S3 characters and such.  As it has been some time since she has drawn them.  Also she said she has been working on a few pages at once just so updates can start picking up like normal.  Those pages are just taking a bit due to her trying to get use to the proper feel for things again.  So..I'll keep you updated on that as well but I am hoping to start updating S3 again soon.

If you do wish to donate there is a donate button on the main page.  It will link to my paypal and I will use that money to help server costs plus other additional costs.  Like S3 and yadda yadda.

Cheers,

Paul

#2 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

Guess who has the responsibility of moving all the stuff over and making sure everything works? :P

I'll try to blow everything up. I mean, I'll try not to. Yeah, that's the ticket.

#3 Captain Sorzo

Captain Sorzo

The Captain

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Guess who has the responsibility of moving all the stuff over and making sure everything works? :P

I'll try blow everything up. I mean, I'll try not to. Yeah, that's the ticket.

*Begins frantically backing up data*

57677ee618a4a_FSOMBanner.jpg.004b52a1171

Story updates and more now available at Free Scribes of Mobius!

#4 Arekkisu

Arekkisu

The Pymann

• Game Staff
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

I take it I need to backup everything also for the transfer...

J6GqqRM.jpg

#5 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,517 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

*Twiddles thumbs next to self-destruct button*

#6 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Be a wise idea

#7 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

It wouldn't hurt, but there's really no reason that anything should irrevocably go wrong. We're not switching our main domain over to the new site until we are 100% sure everything is in working order.

#8 SonicAaliyahFan

SonicAaliyahFan

HUGE fan of Sonic and the late singer Aaliyah!

• Fellow FUSer
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

As many of you know FUS costs a ton to run.  With life, other expenses, my dog blowing another ACL (cause that is only a 3 thousand dollar surgery..) and having a almost 7 year old daughter doesn't make things much cheaper either.   Also with the Canadian dollar dropping again (yes I am Canadian) paying a US server bill hurts.  I almost cried when I paid this month off.
Seeing as FUS really pulls in no money of its own besides the random donation here and there (and by one awesome guy who keeps tossing a bit my way each month..You know who you are) I just can't stay on the same server.    Which.. Really isn't a bad thing.. I just hate having to pull up the site and move it (by e I mean I have 2 guys Bakuda and Kef doing that for me) but still.  Horrible!

Anyways I'm pretty sure I have found a nice host that offers basically everything FUS needs plus still a bit of room to grow.  I'm still not fully sold, but basically.. Its going to happen.   The new host offers a bit less of a processor but I am hoping that won't make any noticeable difference to you guys.  I'm also still going to be keeping a VPS server configuration as there are a few sites that FUS members have and I'm just a nice guy who hosts those for free (You also know who you are)

As the move goes on (between now and end of the month) you guys should probably not notice a thing.  The only noticeable part will be the forum going down...And I'm hoping that it will only be down for a few hours at tops.  Just enough time to shut it down on this server, download, then re upload it.  And of course do a quick check to make sure nothing buggered up in the process (nothing ever goes smoothly)   I'll also be sure to give you guys a day or so warning on roughly when we will be shutting down.   Just so everyone knows whats what.

On other news...I know S3 has been down for...months.  But I did announce Sami as our new artist a while back.  Well where is that new page?!!!  Well chatted with her recently and she has been practicing hard on the S3 characters and such.  As it has been some time since she has drawn them.  Also she said she has been working on a few pages at once just so updates can start picking up like normal.  Those pages are just taking a bit due to her trying to get use to the proper feel for things again.  So..I'll keep you updated on that as well but I am hoping to start updating S3 again soon.

If you do wish to donate there is a donate button on the main page.  It will link to my paypal and I will use that money to help server costs plus other additional costs.  Like S3 and yadda yadda.

Cheers,

Paul

:crying3: Ah man, i pray your dog gets better Paul. I'm a softie when it comes to dogs, cats and other furry animals. And i understand about being a parent when it comes to finances and tending to their needs and wants. My 12-year old daughter's in her school's colorguard. And it costs money for her to be a part of it haha,  :guiltysmiley: especially the uniform and her trip to Disneyland to perform there in a couple months. Yea, times are hard these days, so i totally support whatever you have to do. It's a big responsibility to keep an awesome Sonic fan site active,  :thumbsup: and i thank you and the staff here so much for keeping it running for all us FUS members. I did my 1st donation for FUS a few months ago, it was only $10 but i'm sure it helped a little bit during that time. Now that i'm out of my friend's house and moved into an apt with my brother, all my extra income goes on bills and food. But i'll donate again eventually.

;) I pray the site transfer goes smoothly and that things will be still awesome.  

#9 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

We've chosen our new host and just had our account there activated. We're going to be using Bluehost. I was rooting for something like tortoise.es, myself, but chief's the boss. :P

Anyway, what this means for you guys is I'm aiming to have the process complete within a week; I'm currently aiming for three days or less. FUS won't be affected until the very end of the process, when we start deploying the new site. At that point, the main site and forum will both go into read-only mode so that everything can still be read, but new comments and forum posts cannot be made. This is the ideal case; IP Board wasn't specifically designed to allow this and we may have to bring the entire forum down instead. Whichever way we do it, I only expect the site to be down or read-only for a few minutes. It may be a few hours, but I'm aiming for minutes.

That said, switching the site will involve changing the domain name to point from the old site to the new site, and it can take hours for a change to the domain name to propagate (which is completely out of anyone's control), so it's possible you'll be seeing the old site for a couple of hours even after we've finished the switchover. We may have a temporary alternate domain you can use during this time, but I can't promise that.

In any case, I'm going to try to do this at valley hours (opposite of peak hours ;)), so most of you will be in bed or at work or something anyway.

#10 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

So whats gonna be the changes? Anything noticeable?

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#11 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

We hope not.

#12 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'll try blow everything up. I mean, I'll try not to. Yeah, that's the ticket.

*Begins frantically backing up data*

*Twiddles thumbs next to self-destruct button*

RANDOMLY PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS!
image.jpg

#13 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

That said, switching the site will involve changing the domain name to point from the old site to the new site, and it can take hours for a change to the domain name to propagate (which is completely out of anyone's control), so it's possible you'll be seeing the old site for a couple of hours even after we've finished the switchover.

It may not actually be out of your control. If you are able to change the Time To Live (TTL) values for the DNS records you could have the switchover effective in seconds (though minutes is probably better to save your DNS servers from being pounded with every new page load). Note that the time between when you make the change to the TTL and when you change the DNS records to point to the new host must be at least as long as the current TTL. You will also want to change it back later.

#14 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking into it and some (many?) DNS servers ignore TTL, so it's not a sure-fire solution, but it may help.

I was going to have the switchover done by now, but my chair decided to break. Stupid chair. Oh well, hopefully I can do it tonight.

#15 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

Well you can't do much if they don't behave how they're supposed to, but you might as well improve things for those that use DNS servers which do respect TTL.

Non-compliance with standards is why we can't have nice things. Any web developer will agree.

#16 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Yes, I've set our TTL to 1 hour and when it's an hour to switchover I'll reduce it further to five minutes, or something like that.

#17 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

That sounds like it will work, providing that you allow for however long it was originally, since it will take that long for the 1h TTL to replace the old cached value.

#18 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

I ended up breaking the forum for a couple mins when I tried putting a global message box on the forum. It worked on the Warrior theme but not the FUS theme. Oops.

Anyway, we're going to be initiating the switchover within the next 30 minutes, hopefully sooner. When that happens, the forum will be read-only or possibly down entirely, but only for a few minutes. Likewise for the rest of the site, but hopefully I won't have to bring it down. Then once the process is complete, any traffic that hits the old server will be redirected to new.sonicsatam.com. This will be automatic and you don't have to do anything; it's just that if you see new.sonicsatam.com in your address bar, you'll know why. Our website's real URL is just sonicsatam.com and will be for the forseeable future.

#19 randomizer

randomizer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

inb4 readonly

#20 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

Actually I can't find a quick and easy way to make IP Board read only, so chances are I'm gonna have to bring the whole forum down for a few minutes. But only a few!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users