Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

The Future Of The Sonic Franchise

Sonic Franchise Future

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

Is anyone worried about the future of Sonic the Hedgehog?

#2 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Personally I think it has been on the decline for some time now.  And with SEGA's recent economic issues I can't see it doing any good in the near future.  

Ive always been a old school fan of Sonic stuff, and I think that's where SEGA should go back to.   They really have to start marketing better again.  In the 90s Sonic was plastered everywhere.  Either Sonic or other related characters.    By doing that kids were raised around him.   These days you see almost none of that. 

I think SEGA could do a better job at marketing Sonic...Perhaps more teamwork with ARCHIE to get a larger audience.  

Speaking of Sonic in comics...I would love to start reading those...But every time I pick one up or see one...I have no damn clue whats going on so I just never end up buying it.  

#3 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

I actually think the best thing that could happen to Sonic would be if he went away for a while, and eventually someone who knew what do with him bought the rights at some point.

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

Sonic has had its ups and downs, but so has every other franchise. It's nothing new.

If there's anything which could make or break the franchise, it'll most likely be the upcoming movie by Sony Animation. If it succeeds, it could start a new generation of popularity. If it bombs, well... Who knows?

#5 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:49 AM

Sonic has had its ups and downs, but so has every other franchise. It's nothing new.

If there's anything which could make or break the franchise, it'll most likely be the upcoming movie by Sony Animation. If it succeeds, it could start a new generation of popularity. If it bombs, well... Who knows?

Thanks for making me feel better. Not really.

#6 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for making me feel better. Not really.

Don't worry. I have good faith in the guys behind the film.

The producers have worked on other movies which became huge successes, such as "24th Jump Street", "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", "The Lego Movie", and the "Fast and Furious" series. And the writers for the film are avid fans of the Sonic series; particularly the "Adventure" games.

Seems like a match made in heaven, if you ask me. I just hope it holds up.

#7 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Sonic's too iconic to go forever. But I really do think fading in popularity and leaving the public consciousness for a few years would do him some good. Look at how much better the Ninja Turtles franchise got after it disappeared for a number of years, then resurfaced.

#8 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

Sonic's too iconic to go forever. But I really do think fading in popularity and leaving the public consciousness for a few years would do him some good. Look at how much better the Ninja Turtles franchise got after it disappeared for a number of years, then resurfaced.

I agree...But its probably much harder said then done.  Seeing as TMNT weren't really mascots for anything.  Where as Sonic is Sega's mascot.    When you think SEGA you think Sonic.    Sadly with SEGA declining so is Sonic. 

#9 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

I agree...But its probably much harder said then done.  Seeing as TMNT weren't really mascots for anything.  Where as Sonic is Sega's mascot.    When you think SEGA you think Sonic.    Sadly with SEGA declining so is Sonic. 

It's doomed. Doomed, I tell you! And it's all our fault.

#10 Lynchenberg

Lynchenberg

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

It is true Sonic was created to be Sega's mascot, and he is. But I also think he's developed a life outside of Sega. He's not Ronald MacDonald or the Michelin Man. He means a lot more than that to a lot of people. He's become more of an icon like Superman, Dracula, or Mickey Mouse. Therefore, I think while Sonic would disappear without Sega for at least a while, he wouldn't die with it. Really, most of us agree Sega's done a poor job with Sonic. Not just SatAM or Archie fans, but the game fans too. Yes, there are die hards and young kids who maintain a devotion to "SegaSonic," but they're getting harder to come by. So if Sega was destroyed, eventually someone would acquire the rights and bring Sonic back. Just like other, almost mythic icons like Freddy Krueger would eventually be resurrected even if New Line Cinema went out of business. And I think whether you like Sonic SatAM, Fleetway, the 8-Bit games, Sonic Adventure, or whatever, we can all agree that would be what's best for Sonic.

#11 Nightmus

Nightmus

Sally fan

• Fellow FUSer
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

I read that one of the latest Sonic games (some weird title, didn't remember) was the last one released under exclusive contract with Nintendo. Maybe Sega will make something better now?

To be honest, I don't have much hope. I thought Sonic episodes in 2d would at least bring the 16bit action with modern graphics, but I didn't like Episode 1 on PS3 all that much. This new airborne homing attack is pretty weird and the controls felt unresponsive. I think there's an unnecessary delay when Sonic jumps, like the gravity is weaker than on Megadrive/Genesis. Good old Sonic 2,3,S&K are just faster and more responsive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users