Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Shadow : (19 July 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Would a 4K transfer blu ray be possible to produce?

@  Quickster : (19 July 2019 - 12:20 AM)

Unless we were able to somehow contact Pat Allee.

@  furrykef : (18 July 2019 - 09:23 AM)

Possible it was mostly Pat Allee's script. Unfortunately there's no way to know who did what on each script.

@  Shadow : (16 July 2019 - 12:00 PM)

I remember when Ben Hurst came onto this site and we got to send him notes. My favorite episode was Sonic and Sally, since it was my first episode I ever saw. Unfortunately he did not remember working on that one, despite it being his script.

@  chief : (14 July 2019 - 07:41 PM)

Yeah I did get it. Came out nice. Kinda a neat read.

I do want to scan it but...I dont want to fold the paper. I might try just taking some high def pictures.

@  David The Lu... : (12 July 2019 - 08:50 PM)

Heck did you get it in the mail. More importantly, have you scanned it yet because things like that need to be scanned and preserved.

@  chief : (29 June 2019 - 12:03 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  chief : (29 June 2019 - 11:06 AM)

Also just tossing this out there again...Sea3on has a Discord Chanel that I'm going to be adding some FUS rooms too. So come on and feel free to join up https://discord.gg/qQrqAvG

@  chief : (27 June 2019 - 07:29 PM)

Havent gotten it yet but....Still excited.

@  wildfire : (23 June 2019 - 03:30 PM)

That's not too much for something so good honestly. I would pay that if I had it.

@  chief : (23 June 2019 - 12:19 PM)

Yea...Pretty excited to get it. I mean...It apparently went from LA to Kentucky for some reason...But I'm sure it will arrive after its North American tour through the postal service.

@  Wulfsbane : (19 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

If there's another one I'll try to get it

@  Sunnyfruit : (17 June 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Woah. I'd pay even more.

@  chief : (16 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

I just spent way too much money for paper with words written on it

https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

@  Wulfsbane : (15 June 2019 - 06:12 PM)

As long as it wasnt GSW or Lebron...

@  Shadow : (13 June 2019 - 09:34 PM)

The Raptors won the NBA!

@  Sunnyfruit : (12 June 2019 - 02:44 PM)

Uh... I like video games too, but this is too much

@  GamemasterAn... : (12 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

...and everyone is freaking out over that reveal. Dear Gaia...the reaction of the people at the Nintendo Center in NYC. People were actually HUGGING each other over that reveal!

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:46 PM)

Banjo-Kazooie is coming home, lads

@  Wulfsbane : (11 June 2019 - 07:17 AM)

The E3 Nintendo Direct starts in 45 minutes

Photo

Save The Sonic Comics!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Well folks, this is it.  The Sonic comic is being cancelled. 

I know, Archie claims they're just not taking subscriptions temporarily, but a publisher as desperate as Archie would want subscriptions now, even if the comic were delayed for five months.  (bwrosas pointed out that the Dark Circle Comics also have no subscription options, but this has been true for some time now.)

So if it is being cancelled, whose decision?  Not Archie's.  When they stopped doing Mega Man and Sonic Boom, they gracefully ended the comics.  But as you can see from the (late) comic previews, they've been going full steam ahead. 

The decision, therefore, was almost certainly Sega's.  The license contract could be expiring, and Sega's not feeling it.  Probably because they got ticked off at Archie during the infamous lawsuit. 

But all is not lost...  Sega is currently trying quite hard to regain the enthusiasm of the fanbase.  The comics may not be huge in Sega's agenda, but they're surely aware that the comic is quite successful, and that ending it would make many people sad. 

The logical solution would be (drum roll) switching the comic to another publisher. 

The best candidate would seemingly be IDW Publishing.  To quote SEGAbits

"[A]s the contract for the license is likely up for renewal, SEGA has finally decided to not continue with Archie. Thus, the cancellation that we are seeing play out. Does this mean that Sonic comics are no more? Maybe, or it is more likely that SEGA will go with a publisher that treats licensed comics with much more care. I can easily see Sonic the Hedgehog comics happening with a publisher like Boom! Studios or IDW. Interestingly, Sonic comics writer Ian Flynn also does work for IDW with their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics. Should Sonic find a home at IDW, it would be relatively easy to reassemble the team."

Point is, this would be awesome, but there is no guarantee.  So what are you all waiting for?!  :o

I would urge everyone to please write to IDW!  Tell them the Sonic comic is [almost certainly] being cancelled, and that you'd like them to pick up the license!  And please tell everyone else! 

Because,
naugus_comics_zpsorbt4xok.png

Well OK, the stakes aren't quite that high...  Even if the comic is cancelled forever, I think Archie Sonic Online would simply become the "unofficial official" Sonic comic, akin to Sonic the Comic Online, and that would be fine.  (Plus, we've got Sea3on!)  But I really love the current team of writers and artists for the official comic, and it would be cool if they could keep at it.

#2 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

It's not going to be cancelled, hold your horses. The FCBD special was cancelled in favor of Archie pooling their resources to market their Riverdale series first. If Sega wishes to take the comic elsewhere they will approach IDW, not the other way around. I am going to chalk up the removed subscription debacle to Archie being run like shit and them forgetting to put it up.

#3 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Even if the series did move to IDW, it's very unlikely it would be in the same continuity... meaning another reboot. And in that case they'd probably prefer to stick with the Sega cast (which is quite large enough) and whatever characters they come up with themselves rather than keep the SatAM cast around.

#4 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

It's not going to be cancelled, hold your horses. The FCBD special was cancelled in favor of Archie pooling their resources to market their Riverdale series first. If Sega wishes to take the comic elsewhere they will approach IDW, not the other way around. I am going to chalk up the removed subscription debacle to Archie being run like shit and them forgetting to put it up.

They're not even accepting subscriptions over the phone, and it's been an entire week since people started barraging them with questions.  This isn't them neglecting to update the site.   (But hey, I would love to be proven wrong.) 

The point of writing in to IDW would be to make them ever-so-slightly more likely to license the comic, whichever company approaches the other one.  When a company decides to publish a magazine, they want to know how well it will sell and all that.  Emailing them won't move any mountains, but hey, it can't hurt. 

Even if the series did move to IDW, it's very unlikely it would be in the same continuity... meaning another reboot. And in that case they'd probably prefer to stick with the Sega cast (which is quite large enough) and whatever characters they come up with themselves rather than keep the SatAM cast around.

I highly doubt that.  All the content of the new continuity is copyright Sega.  If IDW were to license the comic, they'd obviously want to draw in the crowd that reads the current comic.  Plus, the reboot redesigns, etc., is all very sleek and marketable to new young audiences. It would make no sense for them to reboot it again. 

#5 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Oh.... hey.... 

I just realized that, while the first half of the comics preview is a month old, the second half is from... yesterday: 

http://archiecomics....il2017solicits/

And if they're revealing new issues as late as yesterday...  there's no way they're cancelling the comic then... right?.... 

--- w ---

I'm feeling some strange mix of embarrassment and great, blissful relief...   There was something so incredibly sad about seeing those previews and "knowing" that they would never be published... 

I should probably edit my post now, so IDW doesn't get spammed on my behalf... 

EDIT:  But yeah, this feels really weird.  Even though I only got around to posting about it today, I've spent the last 4 days or so believing that the Sonic comics were being cancelled..  It's going to take awhile for this to register... 

I suppose it shows something about me that this would be a major deal, but I guess the same goes for most of you, lol. 

#6 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Should I just lock this or try turning it into a way for us/fans to talk about the uncertain future of the comic?

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#7 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Might as well keep it, if you ask me.

#8 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hrm hrm hrm...  So I removed the strike-through from my first post, because I no longer think I was wrong.  Not only has it now been 2.5 weeks since the subscriptions disappeared, but now I finally have a reasonable explanation as to what's really going on, which for whatever reason never occurred to me before. 

So yeah, instead of me blabbing some more, lol, I'll just let you "watch" this video.  But yeah, this scenario suites me much better than the whole "the plug gets pulled without warning" one. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=bWt0GaPhdqg

#9 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Perhaps the reason Archie Sonic is being suspended is because Archie has gotten rights to make a Mario comic, but they're going to surprise us with it. Makes total sense, right?

Plus, they can't discontinue the comic if Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive is coming out March 29.

Hyped for the Sonic 2019 movie and the Mario 2022 movie!

Currently writing Chaos on Earth: A Sonic X Rewrite on FanFiction.net!

#10 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,531 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thing is, issue 291 still has a planned release even though the date keeps getting pushed back. It might just be on hold. Maybe they'll alternate between Mega Man and Sonic? Who knows.
I hope they tell us something about it soon

#11 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

Thing is, issue 291 still has a planned release even though the date keeps getting pushed back. It might just be on hold. Maybe they'll alternate between Mega Man and Sonic? Who knows.
I hope they tell us something about it soon

I hope so, too. I, for one, doubt that Mega Man will return, even though they said it was the end "for now." Perhaps they will give us a reasonable explanation for the delay in the future.

#12 Quickster

Quickster

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

I didn't take the cancellation seriously until I found out that Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive was not released. Further yet, it was listed as cancelled.

Now I, for one, don't believe it was really cancelled. I think it will be released at a later time.

I found an article that should have some insight on this situation: https://www.sonicsta...verdrive-worry/

#13 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Part of me thinks it's Archie that's trying to drop the comic, not Sega. I mean, why would Sega cancel the heavily promoted Mega Drive series?

My thought process: Archie isn’t doing well financially. They took a massive gamble with Riverdale. Even with it be rewarded a 2nd season, it’s not getting the revenue Archie was expecting. I think Archie wants to drop the series as a cost saving move but Sega doesn’t want to drop the comic. I think Archie’s stalling for time to either make Sega take the comic off the table or to sure up funds for operating costs to publish more comics.

I think the cards are stacked in Sega's favor, they could have left Archie during the last delay too but they are showing faith in their long time publishing partner. They also could have left during/after the Penders lawsuit, after Worlds Unite or even during/after Fulop's now recently dropped lawsuit. Yet they haven't...

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#14 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

So if SEGA is the one intent on keeping the comics afloat, is it possible for them to simply switch to another publisher if Archie refuses? They might even allow the continuity to continue if they care about it that much.

But since this is only speculation, this should be taken with a great amount of salt.

#15 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

So if SEGA is the one intent on keeping the comics afloat, is it possible for them to simply switch to another publisher if Archie refuses? They might even allow the continuity to continue if they care about it that much.

But since this is only speculation, this should be taken with a great amount of salt.

Could they switch? Maybe?? I dont know the specifics of the contract between Sega and Archie. That's probably the hurdle.

I think the continuity would be reset.... again... if they switch publishers but characters may stay, especially if Ian is writing

#16 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:55 AM

I think the continuity would be reset.... again... if they switch publishers but characters may stay, especially if Ian is writing

If SEGA is truly concerned about the comic's wellbeing, I think yet another reboot would prove to be pretty unpopular with the readers.

#17 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,531 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

If SEGA is truly concerned about the comic's wellbeing, I think yet another reboot would prove to be pretty unpopular with the readers.
It would be a soft reboot. They wouldn't hit the reset button but they'd definitely have to start a new volume.

#18 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

I wouldn't mind a reboot personally. But more like what Red said and do a soft reboot.

Ive finally been slowly reading some of the comics..and they aren't too bad. Not too great but a few have been.

#19 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

If SEGA is truly concerned about the comic's wellbeing, I think yet another reboot would prove to be pretty unpopular with the readers.
It would be a soft reboot. They wouldn't hit the reset button but they'd definitely have to start a new volume.

That's what they said last time. Then it kinda turned into a hard one later on

#20 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

I think the reason why Archie is being hush hush is because they are having financial troubles and probably are gambling on Riverdale to be a major success. They may not have the budget to continue the Sonic comics right now but don't want to cancel it, therefore are negotiating with Sega terms to pick it back up after a certain date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users