Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (17 March 2019 - 02:30 PM)

I mostly just check in to validate new users and to zap spambots. Obviously, we get far, far more spambots.

@  randomizer : (17 March 2019 - 12:08 AM)

I pop in every couple of days but I don't really have much to say so I mostly just lurk.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 11:33 PM)

Not looking for anything particular here, but since we got people checking daily, I thought I'd point out that I posted a new topic in SatAM Chat. Show a guy some love and check it out.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 10:56 PM)

bout the same for me too. I honestly don't remember at this point.

@  Shadow : (14 March 2019 - 01:50 PM)

I been here since I was 14 years old.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:39 AM)

I lurk, too. Sometimes. Maybe us seniors should just meet up at a retirement village.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:38 AM)

Hiho Wildfire!

@  wildfire : (13 March 2019 - 10:39 PM)

It doesn't help that everything i post on dies. But seriously, I do try and poke my head in from time to time. FUS was family to me for several years. I doubt I'll ever truly leave.

@  Shadow : (11 March 2019 - 04:43 PM)

I did mention before on the idea of a monthly podcast channel.

@  ShenFNWoo : (11 March 2019 - 06:06 AM)

Yeah, it's that kind of thinking that keeps this place dead, mang :\

@  wildfire : (10 March 2019 - 07:42 PM)

I still pop in from time to time. I'm like a professional lurker. As a senior member I think its fair to say I've earned that right. ;) Miss you guys.

@  ShenFNWoo : (10 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

Rereading that, a lot of that came out completely wrong. But then again, it is a shoutbox, I don't know what the max word count is on the thing.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:25 AM)

As I've said many times before... IF the problem is that they themselves can't do it, then the guys running this place could possibly outsource in some form or fashion to people with more time to help work on this comic here. There's clearly people willing to pay for it, and even crowdfunding might be an option.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:23 AM)

There's really nothing stopping us. All we have to do is want to do this stuff.

Dr. Phil once said bored people are boring. Why a clinical psychologist who admits that most of the problem is of a functional nature within a patient's brain would believe this, I don't know, but there IS truth to that. Those who can't find something to try to work with to have or make a good time are usually just devoid of character themselves.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:21 AM)

I have a friend that's working on our game concept ideas who has major depression and horrible anxiety, 3 kids and a horrible job that takes up most of his day. He constantly gets on some of our team member's cases (even mine) about how there's 24 hours a day, and how Schwartzenegger's motivational speech can do wonders for us.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:19 AM)

OR we can make our own sonic stuff, and put together something that could tide us over until the 'official' sea3on starts back up.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

We're all here because we like Sonic. We want more of it. When there is no Sonic to speak of, we could EASILY branch off into other topics, and continue discussing that stuff instead.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:00 AM)

Like, disagreements will NOT murder your world. You'll live. There were intense discussions that kinda just faded into dust. Most here seem to be polarized hard in either direction. People who're too conservative, and then those who swallow libtard nonsense regarding gamergate. And when disagreement that strong appears, people want it shut down. At this point, if I were running the place, I'd take any and all discussion

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:58 AM)

And I'm not just talking about what happens with me. Nothing extracurricular around here gets much of any attention. People seem to be afraid to get their thoughts challenged, so they just get dissuaded from participating.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:56 AM)

Like, there are artists here and writers here. I draw something for you guys, and sometimes I get a reply, but for the most part, people just look at it and go about their business. Don't you WANT more content being posted?

Photo

Ken Penders Have Done It Again.. But Even Worst!

KenPenders

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

People complaining about the sheer amount of text bubbles?

Yup. This is all Penders' doing.

#42 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

I personally don't see a problem.  He was the only one complaining.  Functionally, the at most irritating feature didn't stop anyone from being able to read it. 

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#43 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

Ain't No Party Like A Superkick Party

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Actually it was something I've been meaning to ask Kef to do for a long time. I just used this as the excuse.

Also, next time Penders does Penders thing, I'm just going to make a super topic about it and pin it

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#44 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

I have heard of Ken Penders and his conflict with the Archie comics, but I never understood what the conflict was about.  What is Penders "purchasing?"  Sorry if I am coming off as a dummy...

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

#45 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

I have heard of Ken Penders and his conflict with the Archie comics, but I never understood what the conflict was about.  What is Penders "purchasing?"  Sorry if I am coming off as a dummy...

TL;DR: Every character that wasn't created by Flynn (with a few exceptions of characters created by him and some not created by him) was wiped away from the comic book with the reboot. Those characters are now owned by their respective creators and Penders wants to purchase their rights for his vaporware Lara-Su Chronicles.

My understanding is that Bollers told Penders no

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#46 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

TL;DR: Every character that wasn't created by Flynn (with a few exceptions of characters created by him and some not created by him) was wiped away from the comic book with the reboot. Those characters are now owned by their respective creators and Penders wants to purchase their rights for his vaporware Lara-Su Chronicles.

From what I've heard, Bollers and Penders did not like each other very much.

Anybody think if they were in the same room, they would fight?

#47 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

Anybody think if they were in the same room, they would fight?

Now that would be a sight!

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#48 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

It's kinda public knowledge at this point. Neither of them directly said so but it's obvious

#49 GamemasterAnthony

GamemasterAnthony

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

Anyone else seeing Penders and Bollers getting into a classic slap fight over this, or is that just me?

#50 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

Well, if it hasn't been said already, since I'm probably saying something already stated....

... Ken Penders obviously wants to destroy the comic/archie and piss off Sega.  The concept of trying to protect creator's rights is just a cover.  No one goes after someone with such furvor.  And all this just to stay relevent in current times.

And what's more amazing is that no one has assaulted this guy.  Seeing how nutsy a lot of the Sonic fanbase is (we have a chris chan for goodness sakes), I'm suprised and a little disappointed.

#51 Frieza2000

Frieza2000

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

It might seem that way at first glance, but I don't think spite is his motive. I'm sure he felt at least a little slighted by what happened, but remember that he offered to allow Archie to continue to use his characters for a fee and under the condition that they not contradict anything he'd written in Mobius: 20 Years Later - and I think he actually expected them to take him up on that offer. I don't think his intention was to ruin the series. He seems to care about what he wrote and just wants to be allowed to continue his story. Or maybe writing for an existing base of largely undiscerning fans is the only marketable skill he has. If it had been pure spite he would've either stopped by now, having forced the comic through two resets and thoroughly screwed his successor's envisioned plot, or he probably would've done something like a quick-and-dirty parody of the original comic using his cast, something that would not be taking him years to draw.

#52 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Like many creators who play with someone else's universe, Penders has a strong attachment to the characters he created.  

I think what he's doing is being a general pest because his characters were dropped.  He was hoping to get free advertisement and some extra money when Archie continued to use his characters.  Instead he got his characters cut from the lineup.  Now he's wants to attach his name to someone else's characters in an attempt to try again.  

To be fair, quite a few of his characters are favorites, Julie-Su, Fiona, Elias....etc.  And I don't think it would be that big a deal to send some credit his way.  I just think he's going about it all the wrong way. 

#53 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

Most of Penders stories were garbage. He was given the Knuckles character, and instead of writing about exciting cool adventures about him and the Chaotix he decided to write a bunch of boring stories about psuedo politics. It's a Sonic comic, not Star Trek Deep Space Nine. The echidna race were so boring and dry that they sucked all the stuff that made Knuckles so unique and interesting to begin with. Remember the story about his dad had a bad dream and decided to cook him in radiation? Totally the most essential part missing from S3&K!

He made up a council of a bunch of estranged relatives who he never did stories or character development around. Only that they were incredibly bitchy and liked watching Knuckles through cameras and did jack shit. This guy should have never been hired at all.

#54 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

And I don't think it would be that big a deal to send some credit his way. 

I do.  Had this been prior to him trying to mount lawsuits against Sega/Bioware for tiny similarities and just before copyrighting his characters, I would've agreed.  He has totally ruined all credibility and sympathy for his cause long ago.

(Not that the copyrighting is the problem, didn't mean to imply that)

#55 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:29 AM

Anyone else seeing Penders and Bollers getting into a classic slap fight over this, or is that just me?

They might start pulling each other's hair.

#56 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Most of Penders stories were garbage. He was given the Knuckles character, and instead of writing about exciting cool adventures about him and the Chaotix he decided to write a bunch of boring stories about psuedo politics. It's a Sonic comic, not Star Trek Deep Space Nine. The echidna race were so boring and dry that they sucked all the stuff that made Knuckles so unique and interesting to begin with. Remember the story about his dad had a bad dream and decided to cook him in radiation? Totally the most essential part missing from S3&K!

He made up a council of a bunch of estranged relatives who he never did stories or character development around. Only that they were incredibly bitchy and liked watching Knuckles through cameras and did jack shit. This guy should have never been hired at all.

You forget that Penders was writing StH since issue 11.  It's easy to forget that he did a lot more than just Knuckles.  

I do.  Had this been prior to him trying to mount lawsuits against Sega/Bioware for tiny similarities and just before copyrighting his characters, I would've agreed.  He has totally ruined all credibility and sympathy for his cause long ago.

(Not that the copyrighting is the problem, didn't mean to imply that)

If you play the Sonic Chronicles, it's pretty obvious they took "inspiration" from the Archie Comics.  Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had intended it to be based on the Archie comics and SEGA shut the idea down.  Penders did have a case there.  But the case would have been for Archie to say "that looks like our stuff".  And to be fair, the original creators should ALWAYS be credited for the characters they created.  Even if it's just a splash page of their names at the end of the comic saying, "Characters designed by:....".  In movies they credit the people who decorated the tables for a meeting, comics could at least credit those who designed the characters.

But true. Penders doesn't deserve any compensation at this point.  He's a dick.  

#57 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

• Fellow FUSer
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

If you play the Sonic Chronicles, it's pretty obvious they took "inspiration" from the Archie Comics.  Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had intended it to be based on the Archie comics and SEGA shut the idea down.  Penders did have a case there.  But the case would have been for Archie to say "that looks like our stuff".  And to be fair, the original creators should ALWAYS be credited for the characters they created.  Even if it's just a splash page of their names at the end of the comic saying, "Characters designed by:....".  In movies they credit the people who decorated the tables for a meeting, comics could at least credit those who designed the characters.

But true. Penders doesn't deserve any compensation at this point.  He's a dick.

Inspiration and derivatives doesn't automatically necessitate credit though.  No idea is ever completely original, and neither were the things that were derived from.  They sure enough didn't credit Akira Toriyama in the sonic games for the super saiyan reference.  

I'm not highly familiar with Sonic Chronicals, but seeing that Ken has made derivatives himself, without crediting (which is unnecessary anyway), he's in no position to talk.  I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but the idea of it being a necessity to give Pender's credit in that instance sounds like some Art Community nonsense - they're pretty much totalitarian, uncompromising, and irresponsible with their views on their completely unoriginal tripe; example, the internet being the embodiement of copyright infringeme itself, you would think that people would be aware of this and be a little more lax on the idea of trying to save one's artwork from being copied..... but oh hell no!  Gotta fight that uphill battle, indefinitely, for every single piece of your art that's put up. 

Also, didn't Ken Pender's case against Bioware get thrown out?  Without prejudice, several times, if I'm correct. 

EDIT:  Now the quote system is even more broken than before.  Which is why I support the idea of manually ignoring anything that you don't like seeing since it doesn't stop you from posting.  I mean, it's impossible to remove a quote tag inside the text box without removing the entire quote and now the system is saying that you exceed a limit if you give up and try to post anyway.  Going through the trouble of having people report bugs through the process of addressing a minor nuisance is just as big a problem.

#58 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

Inspiration and derivatives doesn't automatically necessitate credit though.  No idea is ever completely original, and neither were the things that were derived from. 

Yet we still credit the original Creators of characters such as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine....by the way, none of those are the original of their universe.  Detective Comics existed long before Batman, and Wolverine was a Hulk character originally.  Believe it or not Spider-Man/Peter Parker wasn't even the first character from his series.  Uncle Ben and Aunt May are a few issues ahead of him.  Yet we still give their creators credit for the characters.  It doesn't mater if it's based on someone else's work or not.  

I mean look at the creators of the Batman Animated Series.  They get credited for the entire DCAU, and yet hardly any of it really belongs to them.  It's all based on someone else's works. 

They sure enough didn't credit Akira Toriyama in the sonic games for the super saiyan reference.  

Nor does anyone give Master Roshi Credit for being the first Dragon Ball Character to go super.  

DBZ is not the only one to ever do Super Forms.  Heck Mythology has been doing Super Forms long before Manga was created.  Using Seven Magical Emeralds to increase ones power is hardly the same as just having another power level to transform into.  The only resemblance is the fact that Sonic turns Gold and his quills spike upward.  

I'm not highly familiar with Sonic Chronicals, but seeing that Ken has made derivatives himself, without crediting (which is unnecessary anyway), he's in no position to talk.

Derivative Work implies that 1) it was done with legal consent, and 2) Is a spin off of the previous work.

Sonic Chronicles is a Derivative of the Sonic games, but isn't of the comics.  That's where the whole issue spawns.  It is close, unnaturally close to storylines from the comics, including a Dark Brotherhood of Technologically advanced Echidnas and SWATBots.  Archie Comics did have a case, as the Game is really close to their ideas and storylines.  But that's the thing, Archie Comics had a case, not Penders.  Archie didn't care.  That's why Penders got mad at them.  And just because you have a case, doesn't mean you'll win.

Again, because Archie Comics had a case, Penders did not.  Penders didn't own the storylines or the characters or what not.  Even if he bought them later, it would be after the fact and thus he still wouldn't be wronged.  

#59 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

And I don't think it would be that big a deal to send some credit his way. 

To be fair, he did have a decent argument for that

#60 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

You forget that Penders was writing StH since issue 11.  It's easy to forget that he did a lot more than just Knuckles.  

The fact that besides Knuckles his biggest idea for the series was the anti-mobius freedom fighters shows just how inept and unoriginal he really was. It could have been a one off silly story, but nooooo, he kept on having to bring it back over and over and over again. Sure eventually we got Scourge out of it, but for fucks sake, how many times has the evil doppleganger dressed like 80's bikers thing been done in comics and cartoons?

Let's not forget SONIC LIVE. Where he put his fucking kids in the story. He didn't even have a fucking sega console and made one of them hold a tv remote like it was a controller. You can throw a dart in the Penders timeline and come up with absolute shit every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users