Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (17 March 2019 - 02:30 PM)

I mostly just check in to validate new users and to zap spambots. Obviously, we get far, far more spambots.

@  randomizer : (17 March 2019 - 12:08 AM)

I pop in every couple of days but I don't really have much to say so I mostly just lurk.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 11:33 PM)

Not looking for anything particular here, but since we got people checking daily, I thought I'd point out that I posted a new topic in SatAM Chat. Show a guy some love and check it out.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 10:56 PM)

bout the same for me too. I honestly don't remember at this point.

@  Shadow : (14 March 2019 - 01:50 PM)

I been here since I was 14 years old.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:39 AM)

I lurk, too. Sometimes. Maybe us seniors should just meet up at a retirement village.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:38 AM)

Hiho Wildfire!

@  wildfire : (13 March 2019 - 10:39 PM)

It doesn't help that everything i post on dies. But seriously, I do try and poke my head in from time to time. FUS was family to me for several years. I doubt I'll ever truly leave.

@  Shadow : (11 March 2019 - 04:43 PM)

I did mention before on the idea of a monthly podcast channel.

@  ShenFNWoo : (11 March 2019 - 06:06 AM)

Yeah, it's that kind of thinking that keeps this place dead, mang :\

@  wildfire : (10 March 2019 - 07:42 PM)

I still pop in from time to time. I'm like a professional lurker. As a senior member I think its fair to say I've earned that right. ;) Miss you guys.

@  ShenFNWoo : (10 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

Rereading that, a lot of that came out completely wrong. But then again, it is a shoutbox, I don't know what the max word count is on the thing.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:25 AM)

As I've said many times before... IF the problem is that they themselves can't do it, then the guys running this place could possibly outsource in some form or fashion to people with more time to help work on this comic here. There's clearly people willing to pay for it, and even crowdfunding might be an option.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:23 AM)

There's really nothing stopping us. All we have to do is want to do this stuff.

Dr. Phil once said bored people are boring. Why a clinical psychologist who admits that most of the problem is of a functional nature within a patient's brain would believe this, I don't know, but there IS truth to that. Those who can't find something to try to work with to have or make a good time are usually just devoid of character themselves.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:21 AM)

I have a friend that's working on our game concept ideas who has major depression and horrible anxiety, 3 kids and a horrible job that takes up most of his day. He constantly gets on some of our team member's cases (even mine) about how there's 24 hours a day, and how Schwartzenegger's motivational speech can do wonders for us.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:19 AM)

OR we can make our own sonic stuff, and put together something that could tide us over until the 'official' sea3on starts back up.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

We're all here because we like Sonic. We want more of it. When there is no Sonic to speak of, we could EASILY branch off into other topics, and continue discussing that stuff instead.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:00 AM)

Like, disagreements will NOT murder your world. You'll live. There were intense discussions that kinda just faded into dust. Most here seem to be polarized hard in either direction. People who're too conservative, and then those who swallow libtard nonsense regarding gamergate. And when disagreement that strong appears, people want it shut down. At this point, if I were running the place, I'd take any and all discussion

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:58 AM)

And I'm not just talking about what happens with me. Nothing extracurricular around here gets much of any attention. People seem to be afraid to get their thoughts challenged, so they just get dissuaded from participating.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:56 AM)

Like, there are artists here and writers here. I draw something for you guys, and sometimes I get a reply, but for the most part, people just look at it and go about their business. Don't you WANT more content being posted?

Photo

Ian Flynn Wants/wanted To Do This

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

Ian Flynn also wanted to write a two-year long story arc where Sally's a robot and Naugus is king of New Mobotropolis. And do I need to bring up House of Cards? And he apparently wanted to spend more time tying up loose ends left by his predecessors and less time writing his own stories.

#42 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

Ain't No Party Like A Superkick Party

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Look, most of agree Mecha Sally was a very terrible arc.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#43 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Ian Flynn also wanted to write a two-year long story arc where Sally's a robot and Naugus is king of New Mobotropolis.

The Mecha Sally arc wasn't his fault. The lawsuit involving Penders and Archie forced Ian to stretch the length of the story till a settlement could be made. It was during the "Worlds Collide" crossover that they decided to reboot the series.

And he apparently wanted to spend more time tying up loose ends left by his predecessors and less time writing his own stories.

Why wouldn't he? The continuity made by Penders and Bollers before he came in was a complete mess. Who'd want to live in a room like that?

If I were in charge, I would've done the same thing.

#44 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

It was rather odd that Ian set a lot of things up but never really followed through on them. Mecha Sally had a strong emotional opening, but her purpose in the story became rather non existent as just another robot that Sonic eventually got used to thrashing. Naugus becoming king and using his magic to cause fear and paranoia was an interesting opening to his arc, but then he was quickly overshadowed by events that happened soon after and then became too weak to even be much of a threat anymore.

#45 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

It was rather odd that Ian set a lot of things up but never really followed through on them. Mecha Sally had a strong emotional opening, but her purpose in the story became rather non existent as just another robot that Sonic eventually got used to thrashing. Naugus becoming king and using his magic to cause fear and paranoia was an interesting opening to his arc, but then he was quickly overshadowed by events that happened soon after and then became too weak to even be much of a threat anymore.

Don't forget the "Engangered Species" arc. What a colossal disappointment.

Nearly all these stories were published at a bad time.

#46 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

Don't forget the "Engangered Species" arc. What a colossal disappointment.

Nearly all these stories were published at a bad time.

Blasted copyright system. But we're getting off topic.

#47 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

Look, most of agree Mecha Sally was a very terrible arc.

Oh, you have no idea.

#48 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Wait, everyone hated the Mecha Sally arc?  Yet another illustration of me being out of touch with the fanbase...  But I guess when I was reading it, I was like, I'm almost to the reboot!  (I got way, way behind, lol...)

#49 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

Wait, everyone hated the Mecha Sally arc?  Yet another illustration of me being out of touch with the fanbase...  But I guess when I was reading it, I was like, I'm almost to the reboot!  (I got way, way behind, lol...)

Hated is an understatement really.

It was despised. The most hardcore Archie Sonic fans hated it too

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#50 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I don't read Archie Sonic these days, but I remember (before there was any of this reboot stuff) my first reaction was, "Hasn't this been done to death?"

#51 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to this, but I actually prefer the reboot.

Sure, the old continuity had elements that I'll miss, but in the end... was most of it really necessary? I'm all for the characters having family members, but did we really need to know the name of Knuckles' great-great granduncle's half-brother and the position of power he had? Snively is one of my favorite characters in the franchise, but does he need to be related to Robotnik in order to be considered a threat? Did Tails' parents really need to be alive the whole time and return years later? And aside from serving in the Great War, what else did Sherman Walrus contribute to the overall story? The only family members from the old continuity I genuinely enjoyed were Bunnie's uncle Beauregard, Sonic's father Jules, and Elias Acorn because they presented interesting developments for the main cast.

Sure, we'll never get to see our favorite couples form a romance together (except for Antoine and Bunnie); but look on the bright side. We'll also get no more annoying soap-opera drama, love triangles, or obnoxious shipping teases. And while it was neat seeing the origins of Mobius, when it was all said and done, where exactly did it lead to next? There are so many potential ideas to be used with that concept, yet hardly any of them were used. And from what I've heard, many fans didn't like the idea anyhow since it left very little for imaginative interpretation.

Perhaps it's my nostalgia of growing up with the games, but I feel much more at home with the reboot. It's much more simpler, has a better balance of game and SatAM elements (some of which are more faithful to the show than the old continuity), and I feel much more invested in its world. It has the occasional hiccups (i.e. "Worlds Unite"), but nothing to fret over thus far. The old continuity was a lot like the "Super Mario Bros." movie for me; it had neat ideas and interesting directions, but the execution was way off and it hardly felt like "Sonic the Hedgehog" (despite the main character being present in nearly every issue).

In short, I'm all for the reboot.

#52 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:15 AM

I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to this, but I actually prefer the reboot.

Sure, the old continuity had elements that I'll miss, but in the end... was most of it really necessary? I'm all for the characters having family members, but did we really need to know the name of Knuckles' great-great granduncle's half-brother and the position of power he had? Snively is one of my favorite characters in the franchise, but does he need to be related to Robotnik in order to be considered a threat? Did Tails' parents really need to be alive the whole time and return years later? And aside from serving in the Great War, what else did Sherman Walrus contribute to the overall story? The only family members from the old continuity I genuinely enjoyed were Bunnie's uncle Beauregard, Sonic's father Jules, and Elias Acorn because they presented interesting developments for the main cast.

Sure, we'll never get to see our favorite couples form a romance together (except for Antoine and Bunnie); but look on the bright side. We'll also get no more annoying soap-opera drama, love triangles, or obnoxious shipping teases. And while it was neat seeing the origins of Mobius, when it was all said and done, where exactly did it lead to next? There are so many potential ideas to be used with that concept, yet hardly any of them were used. And from what I've heard, many fans didn't like the idea anyhow since it left very little for imaginative interpretation.

Perhaps it's my nostalgia of growing up with the games, but I feel much more at home with the reboot. It's much more simpler, has a better balance of game and SatAM elements (some of which are more faithful to the show than the old continuity), and I feel much more invested in its world. It has the occasional hiccups (i.e. "Worlds Unite"), but nothing to fret over thus far. The old continuity was a lot like the "Super Mario Bros." movie for me; it had neat ideas and interesting directions, but the execution was way off and it hardly felt like "Sonic the Hedgehog" (despite the main character being present in nearly every issue).

Fine. I still wish Ian Flynn did something better with Tails' parents and with Fiona.

#53 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

Fine. I still wish Ian Flynn did something better with Tails' parents and with Fiona.

What else could he have done with them? They were problematic characters to begin with, so adding anything else to them would've only created more problems.

Had I been in charge, I would've avoided using them altogether.

#54 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Tails never really needed to have parents. I'd have written them off as being spies who died in the war.

Fiona I would write as a double agent playing both sides but out for herself.

#55 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:03 AM

What else could he have done with them? They were problematic characters to begin with, so adding anything else to them would've only created more problems.

That is a matter of perspective.

#56 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

See, I liked the notion of them having parents. it made them a bit more relateable.

Issue was for me was the over-emphasis of Knuckles' family (looking at you) as well as Tails parents in House of Cards. I can go on about that one

#57 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:43 AM

See, I liked the notion of them having parents. it made them a bit more relateable.

Issue was for me was the over-emphasis of Knuckles' family (looking at you) as well as Tails parents in House of Cards. I can go on about that one

I can go on how Tails' parents being revolutionaries was completely unnecessary. Though you do have a point about Knuckles' family. It's like Ken Penders was obsessed with Echidnas.

#58 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

I don't prefer the reboot but I do like the reboot.  Honestly it was the best option all things considered.  

That is a matter of perspective.

It is.  I have no problems with I have no problem with characters' having families.  It helps give character to the main cast, as well as interesting development since a large portion of them were raised as orphans.  

As for Fiona....meh.  Fiona was introduced as a robot, then made real, then made a love interest, then made a bad guy.  Nobody who worked on her really new what they were doing with her.  And because of her conflicting stories not everyone likes her for the same reasons.  I liked her better as a hero who was once a villain.  I think reworking her into a villain again was a waste.

I can go on how Tails' parents being revolutionaries was completely unnecessary. Though you do have a point about Knuckles' family. It's like Ken Penders was obsessed with Echidnas.

Penders made up the entire echidna culture.  He had free range pretty much to do what he wanted.  Giving Knuckles a family originally was okay.  It wasn't until the Adventure Games where Knuckles established himself as the last of his tribe that it really became contradictory.  The biggest issue was Penders didn't try to work in the SEGA elements into his tribe so it starts getting awkward when Chaos or Tikal get involved.  

As for Tails's parents....Anything in the comic can be viewed as unnecessary.  Why make Fiona good if she was ultimately going to be evil anyways?  Why kill off Robotnik if you're going to replace him with another Robotnik?  I'm not saying the revolutionary idea was a good one, but even the ideas people liked can be viewed as unnecessary.  The best course of action would have been to leave Tails's parents dead and gone.  He acts as Sonic's kid brother anyways.  

#59 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Actually them being revolutionary wasnt necessarily a bad idea. It was more a matter of one day they were like "Ohh i dont like how things are, Let's start a revolution." If it was shown over a course of several issues while slowly building up into something big then it wouldnt be a bad idea.

Basically what Red said. Penders had a lot of free reign in the comic but when Sega did the SA1 it kinda made a contradiction in the series and it didnt make much sense. You can argue that the game characters and the Comic characters were different but when you think about it they werent... save for Knuckles. Yet after SA1 the comic Knuckles nad game Knuckles were vastly different.

#60 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hated is an understatement really.

It was despised. The most hardcore Archie Sonic fans hated it too

But why?  Were fans upset because they didn't think Sally should be roboticized?  Was it because it went on too long?  Or was it because of the reference to "Where were you when the brains were handed out?" 

Geez... It's so annoying that every time anything happens, everyone's in the background like "Rurururrruur rururrur!!!!"  I guess I'll just have to try to not think about that and enjoy the stories...

Me too!  But I guess that's been established by now...  But I think I now better understand why I personally prefer the reboot:

When I got the comic as a kid, each issue was special to me, including all the back issues.  As I go back and read them now, I realize that... they were horrible...  xD  But that's not the point!  The point is, the later ones, like the ones written by Ian Flynn before the reboot, are just one giant, blurry mess in my mind.  It just got too huge. 

With the reboot, I have basically the entire story in my head, and I can enjoy it as a story.  I don't think I've been this interested in what's happening in the comic for a long time. 

Which brings me to my next point........

WHEN AM I GOING TO GET SONIC UNIVERSE #82?!?!  :o   I've been waiting foreverz!  Has anyone gotten it yet?  I know there was a delay, but I'm starting to worry that my Archie subscription has yet again gotten screwed up somehow. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users