Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  furrykef : (17 March 2019 - 02:30 PM)

I mostly just check in to validate new users and to zap spambots. Obviously, we get far, far more spambots.

@  randomizer : (17 March 2019 - 12:08 AM)

I pop in every couple of days but I don't really have much to say so I mostly just lurk.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 11:33 PM)

Not looking for anything particular here, but since we got people checking daily, I thought I'd point out that I posted a new topic in SatAM Chat. Show a guy some love and check it out.

@  wildfire : (15 March 2019 - 10:56 PM)

bout the same for me too. I honestly don't remember at this point.

@  Shadow : (14 March 2019 - 01:50 PM)

I been here since I was 14 years old.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:39 AM)

I lurk, too. Sometimes. Maybe us seniors should just meet up at a retirement village.

@  John Roberts : (14 March 2019 - 12:38 AM)

Hiho Wildfire!

@  wildfire : (13 March 2019 - 10:39 PM)

It doesn't help that everything i post on dies. But seriously, I do try and poke my head in from time to time. FUS was family to me for several years. I doubt I'll ever truly leave.

@  Shadow : (11 March 2019 - 04:43 PM)

I did mention before on the idea of a monthly podcast channel.

@  ShenFNWoo : (11 March 2019 - 06:06 AM)

Yeah, it's that kind of thinking that keeps this place dead, mang :\

@  wildfire : (10 March 2019 - 07:42 PM)

I still pop in from time to time. I'm like a professional lurker. As a senior member I think its fair to say I've earned that right. ;) Miss you guys.

@  ShenFNWoo : (10 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

Rereading that, a lot of that came out completely wrong. But then again, it is a shoutbox, I don't know what the max word count is on the thing.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:25 AM)

As I've said many times before... IF the problem is that they themselves can't do it, then the guys running this place could possibly outsource in some form or fashion to people with more time to help work on this comic here. There's clearly people willing to pay for it, and even crowdfunding might be an option.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:23 AM)

There's really nothing stopping us. All we have to do is want to do this stuff.

Dr. Phil once said bored people are boring. Why a clinical psychologist who admits that most of the problem is of a functional nature within a patient's brain would believe this, I don't know, but there IS truth to that. Those who can't find something to try to work with to have or make a good time are usually just devoid of character themselves.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:21 AM)

I have a friend that's working on our game concept ideas who has major depression and horrible anxiety, 3 kids and a horrible job that takes up most of his day. He constantly gets on some of our team member's cases (even mine) about how there's 24 hours a day, and how Schwartzenegger's motivational speech can do wonders for us.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:19 AM)

OR we can make our own sonic stuff, and put together something that could tide us over until the 'official' sea3on starts back up.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:18 AM)

We're all here because we like Sonic. We want more of it. When there is no Sonic to speak of, we could EASILY branch off into other topics, and continue discussing that stuff instead.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 07:00 AM)

Like, disagreements will NOT murder your world. You'll live. There were intense discussions that kinda just faded into dust. Most here seem to be polarized hard in either direction. People who're too conservative, and then those who swallow libtard nonsense regarding gamergate. And when disagreement that strong appears, people want it shut down. At this point, if I were running the place, I'd take any and all discussion

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:58 AM)

And I'm not just talking about what happens with me. Nothing extracurricular around here gets much of any attention. People seem to be afraid to get their thoughts challenged, so they just get dissuaded from participating.

@  ShenFNWoo : (09 March 2019 - 06:56 AM)

Like, there are artists here and writers here. I draw something for you guys, and sometimes I get a reply, but for the most part, people just look at it and go about their business. Don't you WANT more content being posted?

Photo

Sonic Writers Topic

Ken Penders Archie Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Technically if Archie had paid him the royalties none of this would have happened. Should they have, no, but still it takes two to fight.

#42 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

Ain't No Party Like A Superkick Party

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

I was gonna stay out of this...

It's Archie's fault. Penders was the victim in this.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#43 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

It really is Archie's fault. Never liked that kid or his comics. :/
image.jpg

#44 Louis the Hedgehog

Louis the Hedgehog

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Technically if Archie had paid him the royalties none of this would have happened. Should they have, no, but still it takes two to fight.

But did they actually owe him that money?

A petition to keep up to a third of the characters in the sonic comics from being lost forever.

https://www.change.o...-hedgehog-comic

To those who want to give this "new direction" a chance, don't say I didn't warn you.

#45 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Yes because since Penders never signed a contract (because he was a freelance writer) any characters he created were technically his.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#46 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Looking back at the case, I'd say both sides are guilty.

#47 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Looking back at the case, I'd say both sides are guilty.

Pretty much. There really is no reason to blame anyone or keep continuing a witch-hunt over this. Both sides done goofed.

#48 Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Running Wild

• Scribes of Mobius
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

I agree that both nether Penders or Archie are innocent in this matter, though I do wonder why the characters aren't being used.

One thing I heard was that Penders' Characters can be used as long as the future of the comic matches Mobius 25 Years Later, which I hope is not the case.

If not that, then my only explanation is that the higher ups at Archie are sore after the lawsuit and forbid the team from ever using Penders' Stuff again, which I'm more inclined to believe. Yes that is petty, but considering how things are run over there I wouldn't be surprised.

Seriously, HOW THE HELL did nobody know that Robotnik was evil!? I mean just look at those red, glowing, hellish eyes, oh yeah I can completely trust that guy with my life! *sarcasm*

#49 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Nope.  He created the characters for their comic under their name.  He technically doesn't have the rights to those characters.  

However the problem would have been easily solved if they sent money his way.

Yes because since Penders never signed a contract (because he was a freelance writer) any characters he created were technically his.

Penders never signed any of his scripts or works either.  Archie has more claim to these characters than he does. 

#50 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

I'm having difficulty finding information on if, as a result of the lawsuit, if Archie is forbidden from re-releasing certain older issues now (Like the Knuckles miniseries). Does anyone know or can guide me to where I could find out?

#51 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Archie is still releasing the collections, but they have a few regulations to fallow: they have to acknowledge the original writers of the issues and they can't use certain characters created by said writers in any new artwork for the collections.

#52 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Archie is still releasing the collections, but they have a few regulations to fallow: they have to acknowledge the original writers of the issues and they can't use certain characters created by said writers in any new artwork for the collections.

Thank you.

#53 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Define "acknowledge". Surely they were already crediting the writer for each story?

#54 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Acknowledgement, as in "displaying the names of those behind it rather than just advertising it as another Archie product".

#55 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

How is that different from what they were already doing? I know the original issues always credited everyone involved. Surely they weren't removing the credits in the reprints, right?

#56 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

Like the autistic bitch he is, Ken is butthurt over the Sonic movie.

PMcKsO0.jpg

#57 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

He does have one point. The comics arent gonna be used for source material

#58 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

The comics were never going to be used. Any Sonic movie made was always going to follow the game canon(for better or worst).

#59 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Wow Penders, just wow. 

#60 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

The comics were never going to be used. Any Sonic movie made was always going to follow the game canon(for better or worst).

I know that but still

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users