Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Ishapar : (14 December 2019 - 04:23 AM)

Not bad. Would be neat if my grandpa makes it that old.

@  Shadow : (12 December 2019 - 03:19 PM)

I hope I get to live to 93.

@  Wulfsbane : (11 December 2019 - 09:42 AM)

@  Ishapar : (09 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Shame to hear about that. How old was he?

@  RedG : (06 December 2019 - 06:04 PM)

Sorry to hear, Wulfsbane. My condolences.

@  Wulfsbane : (05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM)

My grandfather passed on the 17th.

@  chief : (30 November 2019 - 03:32 PM)

oh?

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

This year's Thanksgiving was a lot tougher than normal.

@  Wulfsbane : (28 November 2019 - 07:14 PM)

Same to you.

@  RedAuthar : (28 November 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Happy American Turkey Day

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

Photo

When Did The Archie Comic Stray From The Tv Series?

SatAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

GetCrazyWithTheCheeseWhiz

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Okay, so you know how the original Sonic comic was based off of the SatAM show? In your own opinion, at what point did the comic start to drastically move away from the original series? I haven't read the old comics in quite some time so it would be nice to hear what everyone else thinks of this. Thanks!

#2 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

Well, the comic started out as a sort of blend of SatAM, AoStH, and the games. The Freedom Fighters and Robotnik's design were from SatAM, but the stories were a lot more like AoStH, and they often shoehorned in ideas like Super Sonic from the games.

Eventually they started making it more like the show, though they kept the video game tie-ins and the characters that came with them. As much as I hate to admit it, I think Ken Penders was the person most responsible for this change of direction. In particular, the first really SatAM-like story in the series was Sally's Crusade, which started in Sonic #17 with an orb falling from the sky, which is later revealed to contain Nicole. This issue also marked the first appearance of King Acorn in the comic. The next issue featured the death of Sally's mentor, Julayla. But these were side stories, and the main stories of these issues were still goofy AoStH-style fare. Before too long, though, the more serious stories became the main stories and the goofy stories became the side stories, at least usually.

Then Endgame (Sonic #47-50) featured the death of Robotnik Prime, severely changing the status quo, and the comic started to drift from its roots. The next 23 or so issues didn't even have Robotnik (that's nearly two years' worth!). Then he came back in Eggman form. At around this time the comic also redesigned Sonic and Tails to match their Sonic Adventure appearance, and the comic also introduced Mina the Mongoose. Together, these were pretty much the nails in the coffin for the comic's SatAM era.

#3 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,575 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

What Kef said, pretty much. The comics leaned more AoStH for a while. Heck Snively didn't appear until issue 8, which was a parody of A Christmas Carol, so it wasn't even a canon appearance.

I think the Sonic 3 adaption was when they started focusing on more serious stories and goofy stories became the side show, but don't quote me on that.

#4 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

I can't speak from experience on this, since by the time I got into collecting Sonic comics they were already nearing issue 100, but I have read a good number of the earlier issues.  While the general content of the comic was very AoStH in tone, there were plenty of SatAM elements as well.  Archie was the only place to try and explain Sally's pilot color scheme, though they would fix the colors in reprints of those stories like the Sonic Firsts trade.  I always liked to see it as a middle ground in the beginning that began to skew toward SatAM more as the comic and it's readership aged.  I found the Endgame arc (which I read as a Sonic Super Special) to be appropriately serious for the gravity of the story.  I've collected a good number of issues since Highschool, and I pick up more when I attend my local comic conventions here in MI.

My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

#5 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 569 posts

Posted 6 days ago

It was the start of Sally's miniseries that the comic's tone matched that of Satam, but the issues still followed a blend of AOSTH and SATAM themes depending on the author.  It was at this time that I started to get drawn more into the storyline/characters which would eventually lead me to Satam.  I only read up to the Endgame arc at Issue 50, so I cannot say when the series left the Satam concept, but I will go on to say that Archie and Satam are very different in terms of story and content.  I personally stopped at issue 50 because it appeared Archie has strayed all over the place with pleasing every Sonic medium whether it was the early wacky humor of AOSTH, the characters and darkness from Satam, or incorporating modern Japanese Sonic franchises into the canon.  I personally am not fond at what Archie has done over the years, but I realize that just about every big mainstream comic industry have not kept a consistent storyline with their own franchises.  If you want the stories that tie to Satam, start with the Sally mini-series from issue 17 and stop at the Endgame at around 50.  New characters and concepts certainly got integrated after issue 50, but I honestly think it started to become one jambling mess.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SatAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users