Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

Photo

Sega Doesn't Own The Post-reboot Stuff Either...?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

[Archie Comics headquarters, 2013. Ken Penders can be seen marching off into the distance with his characters.]

Archie: Whew! That was a fun lawsuit!

[Sonic runs up to Archie and hands him a stack of newly-printed work-for-hire contracts.]

Sonic: Here you go!

[Sonic runs off.]

Archie: Huh? What am I supposed to do with these?

Jughead: I know!

[Jughead eats the contracts. Archie and Jughead start doing the Can-Can.]

... That must be how it happened. If you don't believe me, listen to what Ian Flynn says here. Sounds like the post-reboot stuff is in the same boat as the pre-reboot stuff!

In other words, all material ever created for the Archie Sonic comic is legally off-limits to Sega. Raise your hand if you're still wondering why they revoked the license. xD

What this means, in practical terms, is that you won't be seeing the likes of Thunderbolt, Nicole [as a Holo-Lynx], or Eclipse showing up in the IDW series. 

Archie Sonic Online definitely softens the blow, and as far as I know, the DiC stuff is on solid grounds.  Still, it leaves me wondering what exactly is going on at Archie HQ, lol... 

#2 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

This was known for a bit. I think back in January he tweeted about not being able to using his post-reboot characters.

I mean he does say there's a very slim chance but this has been known for a bit.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#3 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

True, he did say that originally. But later on he clarified that the reason was that it was a new comic, that they wanted to let it be its own thing for awhile, and that down the line we might see some of the Archie stuff crop up.  We were never given any reason to think there was a legal issue there.

#4 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

I would guess Sega has some legal ownership of characters post-SGW to prevent another instance like Penders made but again, Archie has been silent on the issue since the contract ended last year.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#5 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Then you have precisely the same understanding that I had right before listening to the clip that I linked to above!  And that is why I came here to post about it!  xD

#6 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

It's a very odd situation.

I know Aaron wants to talk about it but there's a bunch of legal stuff that's preventing him from doing so

#7 sonicroc

sonicroc

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

Indeed.  The nice thing is, it looks like Sega can do whatever they want with the IDW characters; I could see that leading to some cool stuff down the line. 

#8 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

Indeed.  The nice thing is, it looks like Sega can do whatever they want with the IDW characters; I could see that leading to some cool stuff down the line. 

Ehh, I'm not so sure. I doubt the IDW cast will ever appear in the games if they're following the precedent set by Archie. And even if they do appear in the games, you're gonna have a lot of fans upset that the Archie characters never got their due.

Though, Neo Metal > Metal Overlord.

#9 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

Ian has confirmed on a recent podcast episode that he and the other creators had signed over the rights of all their characters to SEGA and/or Archie when they were writing the comics, meaning that the rights definitely belong to either one of the companies or are possibly shared by both.

And I think that might be the source of the problem.

#10 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

Considering it's a licensed comic, I would imagine SEGA would get first say in the matter.

And I was primarily referring to the Freedom Fighters. Sorry I should have made that more clearer. My bad.

#11 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

Considering it's a licensed comic, I would imagine SEGA would get first say in the matter.

But even if they own them, I doubt they're going to do much with them regardless.

I mean, they also own all the characters and elements featured in the American-produced cartoons and "Sonic X" (through their acquisition of TMS Entertainment), yet aside from the Archie comics, we haven't seen any of those characters appear in anything outside of their respective shows. I get the feeling the IDW series won't be any different.

#12 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

Basically my thoughts too. A precedent was set long ago, I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

#13 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

Basically my thoughts too. A precedent was set long ago, I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

And even if there is a chance of certain characters appearing in the comic later down the road, they'll likely be entirely different compared to their more familiar depictions.

#14 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

@Logiteeka

So, is Kattela, Scratch, That Monkey Bot, and other Archie originals off limits to Sega?

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#15 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

@Logiteeka

So, is Kattela, Scratch, That Monkey Bot, and other Archie originals off limits to Sega?

As far as I'm aware, SEGA does have legal ownership of them.

#16 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

While Dic did produce the characters, they are lock stock and barrel owned by Sega that were licensed out to be used by Archie due to them being useful to sell the comics and also no mandates since they never had plans for them in any games. That however I feel has changed now as they would most likely now be considered classic sega characters with Mighty and Ray, and thus be barred from being used in IDW.

#17 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:57 AM

Oh, IDW being able to use them isn't of any concern to me.  Just wanted to know for my own purposes.  :)  Thanks guys

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#18 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:01 AM

While Dic did produce the characters, they are lock stock and barrel owned by Sega that were licensed out to be used by Archie due to them being useful to sell the comics and also no mandates since they never had plans for them in any games. That however I feel has changed now as they would most likely now be considered classic sega characters with Mighty and Ray, and thus be barred from being used in IDW.

Actually, the cause might stem from that license with Archie you mentioned. According to Ian Flynn, the main reason why he has been unable to utilize any pre-existing Archie characters or material might be due to the same legalities that prevent him from posting his "Lost Hedgehog Tales" documents for as of now - meaning that Archie might still retain some exclusive legal rights from their contract with SEGA.

If so, it's possible that we might have to wait for those licenses to expire before Ian can properly check to see if they're okay to use.

#19 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think for Lost Hedgehog Tales its less the characters and more taking script material Archie has copyright ownership over that Ian Flynn might get in trouble if he releases it on his own.

#20 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

I think for Lost Hedgehog Tales its less the characters and more taking script material Archie has copyright ownership over that Ian Flynn might get in trouble if he releases it on his own.

True, but it seems odd that certain characters which SEGA should technically own are restricted from use by legalities. Who else would claim partial ownership of them if not Archie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users